**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Increasing the use of less-powerful characters

MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,346 ★★★★★
edited July 2017 in Suggestions and Requests
This may not interest everyone; but for those of us who don't worry about prestige, or who stick with older characters just because we like them, it would be nice to have something to do with our old 1 and 2 star characters; and also our lesser-used characters. Trouble is, the daily 'Hero Use' quests effectively punish you for using lower tier characters, even if they are an old favorite; whilst the presence of characters like Hyperion or Hulk discourage the use of characters like Black Bolt or (shudder) Luke Cage.

Could Kabam or the community come up with ideas to encourage or reward use of these characters? Especially if they're going to give us all these 2-star Spidermen-types, for example. What are we supposed to do with them?

Some thoughts:

1 - Underdog quests: as an occasional replacement for the Hero Use daily quest, why not a quest where you get rewards for defeating higher-ranked characters? Defeat 4-star character with a 2-star character, etc. Defeat a mystic with a cosmic champion?

2 - You could have rank limits on some of the monthly quests; like not being able to take anything over three stars into the Beginner event quests. (I know, this will not be a suggestion everyone likes, but hey, wait for the next one...)

3 - A tweak to an under-utilised game feature: Gates. Currently, you need a certain champion or class to open a gate. Why not make a Gate a Barrier to certain paths in quests where you can't go through a Barrier if you have a particular champion or champ class? No cosmic champs on a tech-heavy path, that kind of thing. No 5-star characters on this path, thanks!

I know the idea of limiting our choices like this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the reality is that heroes need to overcome obstacles, and more powerful opponents, otherwise they are dull to read; and similarly the game becomes dull to play. Silver Surfer (hint!) is interesting when he's fighting Galactus. He would be pretty boring fighting the Kangaroo. Fighting with an awakened 5-star Hyperion has the same issue (I would imagine).

Yes, these suggestions could be pointlessly frustrating if misused (like, say, not being allowed to take 5-star characters into Act 5 ch.3..), and no one wants characters they have invested in to be needlessly nerfed, but occasional obstacles like this could also make the game more interesting by encouraging us not to use our God-Tier characters some of the time.

Whaddaya think?

(Magrailothos grimaces and hides...)

Comments

• MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,346 ★★★★★
    edited July 2017
    Wow. Not one answer.

Guess I'm not exactly preaching to the choir, then. But hey, I like the challenge of taking down 4-stars with 2-stars; even if no one else does.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,111 ★★★★★
    There isn't really a point to have rank caps on challenges stuff like act 5.2 and LOL is basically like fighting 5 stars with 2 star champions only even more difficult. Gates is a fine idea but making them necessary to complete the event quests we already have would just piss off the community and make it take longer for top players that can breeze through the content even with 4 stars but choose to use 5 stars because its faster. Maybe creating an entirely different sort of event where you can only use certain characters like spideyverse, avengers, guardians would be interesting but again would just be a hindrance to the players who are just unlucky and haven't pulled certain characters