**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Apple Now Requires Game Developers to disclose odds on "Loot Boxes" [MERGED THREADS]

1293031323335»

Comments

• ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★
    Let's all take the time to thank the good folks over at Apple for finally getting us this info.
  • 420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★
    Let's all take the time to thank the good folks over at Apple for finally getting us this info.

Nope, if stated odds are what you need to make a purchase decision then this is probably not the game for you. You probably should have quit a long time ago.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,650 Guardian

It is rare that everyone in a game company has exactly the same beliefs. It is probably true that there were developers that wanted to release this information but they were overridden by other decision makers. The Apple guidelines eliminated the roadblocks to doing it, but I'm sure there were developers inside of Kabam just as happy to see that guideline as the players were.

But yeah, I'm happy that Apple contributed positively to the situation. It is certainly not the end of the discussion about randomized loot boxes, but it at least sets the precedent that game companies have to factor in other things besides their own trepidation about being transparent about their reward systems.
    420sam wrote: »

Nope, if stated odds are what you need to make a purchase decision then this is probably not the game for you. You probably should have quit a long time ago.

That's both harsh and unfair. It is just as easy to say that if someone opposes better disclosure from a game company that would benefit all its players, they are probably a detriment to that game's community and should be discarded as rapidly as possible.

The approximate odds of getting the rewards are exactly what drives my decisions on crystal purchases. They determine whether I open featured 5* or basic 5*. They determine whether I buy GMCs or PHCs or none of them. Every trade of one resource for another resource for me is a value decision. And when a randomized lootbox is on one side of the trade, knowing the approximate odds is the only way to know if the trade is worth it. Either I know those odds, I research those odds, or a pull crystals often enough to determine those odds. That last step is often extremely expensive, and no player should be forced to do it.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    I really really really can’t wait to see how soul crushingly small the odds for feature 5* champ is in FGMC
    I really really really can’t wait to see how soul crushingly small the odds for feature 5* champ is in FGMC

We already have reasonable measured estimates very roughly in the one in 200 range.
  • ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★

I don't "need" anything. I want the odds. Many others do also. If you don't want odds before you make a purchase good for you. That is your preference. Go ahead and walk onto a car lot and pay sticker price too. However, many American consumers are used knowing what they are paying for. You might be from a different country so you don't get that.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

We already have reasonable measured estimates very roughly in the one in 200 range.

I know. But the confirmation is what I want to see.

I would like to see accurate data as well, but your soul should already be pre-crushed.
  • 420sam420sam Posts: 526 ★★★

I don't "need" anything. I want the odds. Many others do also. If you don't want odds before you make a purchase good for you. That is your preference. Go ahead and walk onto a car lot and pay sticker price too. However, many American consumers are used knowing what they are paying for. You might be from a different country so you don't get that.

Wow, would you like a participation trophy? And no, I pay invoice or less than invoice every time. I prefer to waste my money on other things like this game.

I would like to see accurate data as well, but your soul should already be pre-crushed.

Not me sir, I’ve opened about 4 FGMC, they are a money pit and not worth it. I’m waiting to see crushed souls of the whale variety.

Not me sir, I’ve opened about 4 FGMC, they are a money pit and not worth it. I’m waiting to see crushed souls of the whale variety.

I think I've probably bought twelve or fifteen max, a couple at a time, total. Best I got out of them was a 5* Elektra, actually. That's pretty lucky, but it is also a pretty expensive Elektra overall. I don't recommend them myself.
    kushstar88 wrote: »
    drop rates are not important

Unless you play on Android, drop rate publishing is extremely important. Since unless they eventually did that, you wouldn't get fixes for any other problem ever, as compliance with the app publishing guidelines is ultimately required to keep updating the app in the Apple app store.