**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Gifting Badges will soon go away

KARAM MOD's,

I know you are working with Apple to conform to their new app rules and I believe I read that gifting will no longer be allow:

tby9hux322zs.png

I have a couple of questions about this

a) Will we get a few days / weeks warning before gifting is no longer allowed in game?

b) Will those us use who actually purchased the Gifting Badges (not just got one for free with a units deal) be compensated for that purchase price once they are no longer viable?

c) Are there any plans on changing gifting so that we could gift items in our actual inventory rather than having to purchase items to gift or will it just be going away completely?

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    I don't interpret that clause to bar the kind of gifting that the gifting badge enables, but in any case that clause has been in the guidelines for quite some time now and it has not yet interfered with MCOC app store approval. There's no specific reason to believe it will do so now.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    I think that phrase applies more to items in your inventory in mcoc. You can’t give an item you possess. When you purchase something you can’t gift it. Yes I see know when you gift someone something you pay untis but it’s not something you purchased for your own account
  • BCdiscmanBCdiscman Posts: 348
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I don't interpret that clause to bar the kind of gifting that the gifting badge enables, but in any case that clause has been in the guidelines for quite some time now and it has not yet interfered with MCOC app store approval. There's no specific reason to believe it will do so now.

Yes. It has been there for 'quite some time' if you interpret mid-December as 'quite some time'

4tay3wki3fq0.png

vc9kb4ibehl8.png

3wj3m5m4w5xe.png

Which of the above items do you 'not interpret as in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others'?
    BCdiscman wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Yes. It has been there for 'quite some time' if you interpret mid-December as 'quite some time'

The no-gifting clause has been there for over eighteen months now, since around June 2016.
    Which of the above items do you 'not interpret as in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others'?

You are apparently interpreting that clause as banning in-app purchase content, or features, or consumable items. However, that has not been how that clause has been applied by Apple since it was added to the guidelines document. It has been interpreted to mean "in-app purchase content, in-app purchase features, and in-app purchase consumable items" and has generally always been applied to applications that attempted to bypass the in-app purchase requirement for app store applications. To the best of my knowledge that clause has never been applied to a game that allows one player to send a gift to another player that wasn't something normally categorized as an application feature unlock.

Most of the limitations on purchasing are there to close loopholes that allow app developers to circumvent the app store in-app purchase mechanism which is how Apple collects their commission on sales. The gifting clause was added to prevent developers from adding ways to get things normally sold through the IAP without going through IAP. Apple does not care, and has never restricted, mobile games from allowing players to send each other gifts involving normal game items.

To answer your question directly, none of those things are things I would consider IAP content as Apple has always treated such. I wouldn't worry about it as a developer, unless Apple explicitly changed their stance. I should point out that some games have updated since the loot box clause was added and have begun to publish odds. These games have not, to the best of my knowledge, been required by Apple to eliminate in-game gifting.

You're free to interpret the Apple app store approval guidelines any way you want, for whatever purpose that might serve. However, many people are coming to the guidelines now, with no prior experience with reading or interpreting them, and with no exposure to the history of how Apple approves apps or why the guidelines document even exists, making up an interpretation that is only meaningful to themselves, and then presenting questions to Kabam that can only be answered if Kabam shares that interpretation, as if that interpretation is obvious. However I'm pointing out it is not obvious, insofar as no one involved, from game developers to Apple themselves, has ever interpreted the guidelines in these ways.
    zero7 wrote: »
    how does it not apply to gifting, the phrase “apps should not directly or indirectly enable gifting of in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others”

If this was a forensic debate, I concede I cannot use the rules of English to demonstrate why that clause means what everyone who is subject to it knows it to mean. I'm saying what I know it to mean within the context of the app store approval process, and simple history. If you disagree with what it means, you will need to take that up with Apple, and convince them that their guidelines are not expressed properly to your satisfaction. I do not control what it means, I can only comment on what it clearly means when compared to how Apple enforces their guidelines upon app developers.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    What does others mean? People or apps? ...