**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Discussion About Unavoidable & "Elapsed/Triggered" Damage Over Time (New Ability?)

TiemiliosTiemilios Posts: 337
edited March 2018 in Suggestions and Requests
Dear all,

This is a post to provoke thoughtful discussion about damage over time, whether considered avoidable or not and with or without specific triggers. This applies to any damage over time node buff or character ability/debuff, but in my examples, I focus on various degeneration buffs/abilities (whether triggered to cause, triggered to remove or prevent, or no trigger at all and just unavoidable). However, this does also apply to general DoT bleed/poison/incinerate/etc. debuffs as well.

Here are the problems in my mind:
1) There is damage that is either unavoidable (Starburst, Degeneration, etc.) that you can do nothing to avoid
2) There is damage that is potentially avoidable, but conditions have to be met for you to avoid it, such as:
  • Brute Force: Need to hit the enemy within 6 seconds of the last hit
  • Bane: Need to hit the enemy initially and after 10 seconds elapse (as well as not get hit)
  • Explosive Personality: A newer buff I've seen where the enemy gets stacks of Armor Up if they block shots which then, over a stack of 5, explode and remove 25% of attacker's health. Basically, don't hit the enemy's block.
  • VOID (as a character-specific example) with his Intimidating Presence debuffs. You need to reach a combo level of 10 to purify them.
3) Enemies often play very defensively when DoT debuffs exist and block or evade a great deal.
4) The established method of block-breaking (heavy attack), I personally feel, is not adequate to reliably work and leaves you too vulnerable in a very difficult fight. In my experience, the vast majority of times I've tried to do a heavy attack when an opponent is blocking, they counter very quickly and interrupt in anything over medium difficulty level. To me, there is no reliable way, currently to penetrate a block in that case. You are very lucky if you are able to land a heavy while the opponent is blocking unless you know that they are very likely to continue blocking and not interrupt you (i.e. Mordo during power gain, though that is not DoT...that's just another case of a block one would try to penetrate with a heavy attack). In most cases, when the opponent is playing defensively, and you have a DoT debuff that is affecting you significantly (Act 5, for example), you are likely to die to the DoT or you will die trying to penetrate their block with a heavy and being interrupted.

NEW ABILITY (for all champs) Discussion: Could we possibly consider another way to break their block? Do you feel this would be useful? In other games, which may or may not have Damage over Time, there usually is an option such as Grab and maybe a Throw or something. I love using Super Smash Bros as an example, just because it's a ton of fun, though the format of fighting is a bit different. That game actually represents two potential options:
1) A block that decays over time (you can only reliably block a certain number of shots before your block is broken)
2) You can grab the opponent and then either:
  • hit the enemy a limited number of times before they shake loose (and they don't do much damage) OR
  • throw the enemy

Something like this is useful to possibly be able to:
  • Counter DoT that you need a trigger to remove
  • Try to penetrate a block to kill an enemy before you die from the DoT (or do as much damage as possible)

My ultimate question is: Do you feel that something like this (and feel free to suggest something different) would help the game? What are your thoughts?

Please avoid any trolling or belittling comments.

Kind regards,
Tiemilios

Comments

• Options
    GrimmbearGrimmbear Posts: 639 ★★★
    Hm. Tbh i kinda like the idea of your block being broken down over x amount of hits before it needs to be regened (e.g Smash) but it def would have to come back relatively quickly. Also would have to be a balanced # of hits.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    Hm. Tbh i kinda like the idea of your block being broken down over x amount of hits before it needs to be regened (e.g Smash) but it def would have to come back relatively quickly. Also would have to be a balanced # of hits.

Completely agree, @Grimmbear , that it would take balance and we would not want to make blocking too unreliable in the process. Really appreciate your comment and insight on this.
  • Options
    Usmcclt0316Usmcclt0316 Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    I personally agree with the utter unreliability of landing a carefully executed heavy attack. Also, the AI has the ability to strike directly with a heavy attack right at the start of the fight when both champs rush in. Most of the time you are unable to block and resist this attack with the only option to dodge back and hope the AI does not pursue.

I like the idea @Tiemilios of either instituting a degenerating block success rate mechanism that should apply to both the player AND the AI. There is no fun in trying to fight a high level champ that just blocks the whole time, then you ultimately get hit with a Dot effect like Degeneration just because a time rule passed where you were unable to land a hit since the AI held block the whole time.

Building a "Throw" element would be a very cool feature to the game to break an opponent out of block. This could be animated or not (raises the "cool" factor). Damage could be equal to a light or medium attack...still need room for heavy attacks to be relevant...with a chance to crit same as other attacks. Also, throw moves could be built in to have a % success rate on breaking a block where a failed attempt could equal a counter by the opponent.

Straight DoT game mechanics (not ones where the player can avoid by triggering a time/condition rule or by getting very lucky opening the necessary immune champs from crystals) are a cheap shot attempt of raising the game difficulty level. I'm referring to 100% DoT debuffs/buffs that the player is unable to avoid or recover from entirely. These involve no additional skill to avoid by the player other than how fast you can pull out your wallet.
  • Options
    @Usmcclt0316 Thanks for your thoughts! I definitely agree that the "degenerating block" should apply to both the player and the AI. This forces a player to use skill to not block too much. I also think it would be wonderful if, because of a degenerating block mechanism, the block damage could be reduced as well. That way, you'd receive (and give) less damage against the block, but you can only block for so long.

The grab and/or throw element is a bit tricky. If you can grab your opponent, there are several things you can try to do. What I find the most tricky here is that anything the player should be able to do, the AI would need to be able to do as well, and that might compromise the ability to hit them and achieve the goal of this post, the reversal of DoT damage based on a condition or to be able to try to break block and kill the enemy before DoT before death.

Here are some thoughts on the issue:

>There should be the ability to dodge a grab
    >Once an opponent is grabbed you have a couple options:
    • Hit the opponent (I think this option should do very little damage, light attack or even less)
    • Throw the opponent (could do medium attack damage)
    >A grab should be very limited in possible duration before the opponent "shakes loose"
    >Possibly, there could be a mechanism to "shake loose" from a grab sooner.

Basically, there should be a counter for anything that can be done. So this does create a problem with fighting an AI, because the AI could be programmed to counter as well. I still think it would be nice, though, if there are a variety of options you could use, with each enemy having a possible weakness that you might be able to capitalize on. So, for example, the enemy reacts quickly to dodging a heavy, but might be slow to react to a grab. Etc. you can then use your intuition and test out to see what works best against an enemy with the variety of options you have.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Regarding the "degenerating" block, as we're calling it now. That presents it's own problems as well. Because of the way COMBOs work in this game, you can't just continuously crank on an enemy and eventually break their block. There are pauses in your attacks due to the end of a Combo. So, there is some trickiness in trying to figure out how to implement a block break after X number of hits with this mechanism. I could foresee another bar under the health bar that tracks your block "strength" or "stamina" before it breaks. There should be a certain rate of recovery perhaps, but it should be fast enough to allow an appropriate amount of blocking while also being slow enough that you could potentially break a block with breaks between attacks. In fact, you really wouldn't want to do a combo finisher and then open yourself up to counterattack.

You also should not be able to break block with one combo or one special attack. That wouldn't make sense at all. So, it would have to exceed that. Much of the SKILL involved with the block break approach could very well be managing your attack against their block so that you can break it when you need to. For example, planning to attack them a certain amount of times against block.

LOL, this makes me shudder a bit against a champ like MorningStar given that she can bleed you for that. Those sorts of things do make it very interesting. Of course, evaders can always evade out of block which also adds to the fun. In my opinion, you should be able to break the block sooner for those types of champs with those abilities or similar.
  • Options
    Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Just be careful with this conversation. It leads to their idea of block penetration and how terrible of an idea that was/is.
  • Options
    Thanks @Primmer79 ... I do agree that block penetration was a very bad idea. That had to do with the amount of damage that could be done against a blocked attack. I want to be clear that I am not advocating, in any way, for that again. I don't think it fits well at all with this discussion. While it could be useful against AI enemies, it is very crippling for the players and doesn't make sense. Also, it does not achieve the goal of breaking a block at all.
  • Options
    Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    Reminds me of naruto storm series
    Continuous attack on opponents block gradually reduces their block (displayed as green to yellow then red and break)
    This could be a cool concept and could definitely be something great for champs reliant on block like mordo or blade
    This would bring skill into play. When you see your block turn yellow you have to start evading and fighting smarter
    Overall this is a wonderful idea
  • Options
    Thanks @Jh_Dez ! Appreciate your input! I think this may remind people of a lot of cool games they've played over the years that had similar features. I think some of the best places to learn from is to look back at what was enjoyed or useful in other games. Often, no need to re-invent something new...the ideas are already there!
  • Options
    Also, to clarify, the options for block breaking I specified are most likely not the only potential options. Those are just two I thought of based on Super Smash Bros. I don't think either of them are simple and any changes should always be fair and used to encourage the development of skill. I certainly welcome additional thoughts and other suggestions/ideas regarding this topic.
  • Options
    Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    I’m not really all for grabs and throws because that would be a ton of visuals and stuff for kabam, but deteriorating block is good. Maybe like 10 hits and ur block is broken and you regenerate all of your block power by being hit or hitting.
  • Options
    Thanks @Hammerbro_64 ! Appreciate the input. :)
  • Options
    I do think grabs and throws are problematic as well, but I do really like the "degenerating" block idea. :)
  • Options
    Does anyone think either suggestion above would change the game far too much? I really think a degenerating block, which seems to have the most support so far, would enhance the need for and development of skill.
  • Options
    Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    to be fair, I am personally okay with the game how it is. wouldnt mind a minor tweak to the way we fight, as long as it isnt game breaking.
  • Options
    belli300belli300 Posts: 704 ★★★
    I think this is a great discussion with some potentially game redfining concept I would absolutely love to see something like this is would bring a new vigor to every fight in the game
  • Options
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    to be fair, I am personally okay with the game how it is. wouldnt mind a minor tweak to the way we fight, as long as it isnt game breaking.

@Primmer79 I agree. I don't seek to turn the game upside down. I just want to find ways to enhance skill and allow skill to help overcome various challenges. I think any type of grab and throw option would be more of an overhaul. A degenerating block wouldn't be such a big change, I think. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Options
    belli300 wrote: »
    I think this is a great discussion with some potentially game redfining concept I would absolutely love to see something like this is would bring a new vigor to every fight in the game

Thanks @belli300 . I can't agree more. I think something like this would bring more fun to the game and give us more tools to use in a fight. We'd also have to ensure that we develop the necessary skill to not become victim to the same from the enemy. :) Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Options
    @Kabam Miike What are your thoughts on a "degrading block". Was that ever discussed at Kabam?
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    I like the Smash idea, although I believe only a small number of champions should have that (like Hulk, Juggernaut, Rhino, Abomination, Thanos, basically every large strong champion). The next block should have a reduced Physical Resistance.

Another option is to make Rhino's Charge more reliable and adding it to other charging champions (like Juggernaut).

What would also be nice is when you break through a block with a heavy attack, some champions have a chance to Crush and making blocking unavailable for 6-8 seconds. Thor and Ronan are good candidates for such ability.

For the Skilled champions I suggest something like a Bypass ability: their superior fighting skills makes it able to go past a block after X number of hits.

Personally, I use heavy attacks all the time. When pinned to the wall, you can keep on using a heavy attack and the AI can't do a damn thing. But then again, this might not work with more difficult AI (I noticed that in AQ and AW).
  • Options
    @Colonaut123 really great ideas! It makes it a lot more specific champ where I was looking for a more general solution, but that would certainly add to specific champs being useful in certain scenarios.

Again, I do make the heavy attack work sometimes, it's just that in the most important or difficult fights, they never do...lol
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Tiemilios wrote: »
    @Colonaut123 really great ideas! It makes it a lot more specific champ where I was looking for a more general solution, but that would certainly add to specific champs being useful in certain scenarios.

Again, I do make the heavy attack work sometimes, it's just that in the most important or difficult fights, they never do...lol
    I just make them on the spot. I think if there should be something like a anti-block ability, it should be champion-specific. There are so many options to choose from: breaking through block by dashing, bypassing block after X regular attacks, breaking block as X% chance of the time, heavy attack coupled with block cooldown, heavy attack coupled with seriously reduced physical resistance, buff that lowers physical resistance,... The possibilities are endless than just a generic degenerative block mechanism for all champions. I think that would make blocking obsolete.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @Colonaut123 A huge undertaking! But, really really interesting ideas. :) Honestly, I do like the degenerating block, only because it will eventually force you to do something other than block and utilize skill to not have it broken. Or, to not get into a cornered position where it might be broken. I do like the idea of a block gauge that decreases with each blocked hit and the bock could be broken after it empties, but it should increase rather quickly when not blocking and maybe hitting the opponent would grant some to it.

Your ideas really add a lot of color to this though. There really are so many other things we can do, either general or champion-specific. I admit I was mostly trying to keep it simple, though. I do not want to make block obsolete or ineffective like the V12 patch did...I very much want to avoid that! You make me think of other possibilities though, such as instead of a block breaking after a certain point, when the block gauge gets low, block proficiency is reduced X% or something. However, I'm not sure that solves the original problem.

Remember that the goal of this post was a new way to bypass block and get an enemy down before an over time event or death from "unavoidable" damage occurs or to stop something from occurring that you need to hit the opponent to stop. So, whatever we do, I want to still achieve the original goals of the post.