**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Underrated Defenders

This isn't a list of the best defenders - this is a list of Underrated defenders which should be used more in War. I know most of these champs are already used but it doesn't hurt to to say they can be a pain to verse sometimes.

1. Cable - I hate versing this dude, absolute aggressive A.I, far reaching heavy attack, all special attacks are not hard, but annoying to avoid. I particularly just block his Sp1 as Kabam refuses to fix the bug in the animations (let me know if anyone else experiences his) its like you're evading half of it okay then all in sudden you get hit by the other half. Feels for the Duped starlord players. Regen can get in the way especially when your trying to end him in Aq with a champion who doesn't hit very hard. and then theres the power flood which is very odd how it works and activates so randomly you have little time to react and control it, this ability can catch many people off guard, not to mention that it is also stackable. Don't bring champions who inflict bleed or you'll suffer! even though many champions inflict bleed this will narrow who you use against him. his animations are very aggressive and he throws that heavy if you keep a block on him and if you have a fair bit of power and you forgot to bring a robot champion - jokes on you. That degen is annoying. what bothers me most about him is that he isnt half as decent as an attacker, hes a pure defender. that pretty much raps up Cable, if this was personal i could write a whole book about how much i hate versing cable. in other words... well done Kabam you got me there!

2.Punisher - I swear he's a villain, i still cant get over the fact that his tag says his a hero! even though I know he's storyline and everything- he's evil! Again all specials are hard if not impossible to evade without a starky or nightcralwer. is it just me or is he's Sp2 the hardest one to avoid? he's moderately aggressive, physical resistance...i don't understand whether it even does anything and then there's the sp3 which yes i have been gutted with before...we're not all legends sadly :/

3. Green Goblin - Sp1 just block, sp2 hope for the best and time well otherwise its a KO most of time. Debuffs take a chunk out of your champions though I've learned its best to block and take the block damage. also if you've read about him, you deal less damage at some stages of versing him (i could be mistaken for another champion, dont quote me on it), Regen doesn't usually effect me because i use my r3 5 star Angela often but it has caught me in war a few times on the +150% regen node.

4. Punisher 2099 - I'm slowly adapting to this guy, but it counts to say he deals a lot of damage through the block when you verse him in Uncollected mode. All his special attacks are hard to avoid but slow enough for you to parry the damage. I really love his mechanics but only when I'm using him not versing him, like the heal block. it can be a bugger when ur tryna top up your health. and if you read about this guy, under certain circumtances you have -90% reduced power gain.

5. War Machine - his Sp1 pulls him a lot as a defender, i dont know if anyone finds this but none of it is evadable so i just block becuase everytime i attempt to evade the last bit i get clipped . he also has an aggressive A.I like all the other iron mans. his sp2 is quite easy to evade, his armour gets in the way sometimes but can also kill him (especially when duped) with a Voodoo.

let me know in the comments who you guys find find to verse thats not classed as a defender or isnt in the top tier for defending.

Comments

• Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    The only one I (sort of) agree with is Punisher. The others are bad, or in GG’s case, a fairly used defender.

Cable is pretty much a blade counter and nothing more, but pretty much everyone who runs blade also runs sparky who can, with taunts to counter power gain, make short work of cable.

Punisher isn’t hard, but he does do a bunch of block damage if you aren’t careful. But I guess if you have a regen champ on u you can bypass that easily.

GG L1 doesn’t do much block damage and I’ve gotten used to the timing of L2 so the biggest problem is the regen, and even that isn’t completely awful. DoT and high special damage champs eat him for breakfast, provided you don’t get clipped by L2.

Punisher 2099 has mostly unevadeable specials, so he could be a pain but power control champs could deal with him well. Since Magik is mostly off the table for AWD (at least for the wars ive played) she can deal with him fine.

WM block on L1 and that’s all u need to know.

Idk u say aggressive Ai like it’s a good thing, and it actually is...for the player. There’s a strategy where you hit them MLLL dashback immediatly dash forward MLLL (check to see if they are over a bar of power, if they are, medium the bait and repeat, if they aren’t dashback and MLLL and check again) it works really well against aggressive Ai who will dash after you.

Idk different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • BahamutBahamut Posts: 2,307 ★★★★
    Thor Ragnarok

Can’t intercept him or I might get parried, have to let him whack my block if he’s in a stun Immune node, and constantly dancing around the power gain.
  • shchong2shchong2 Posts: 2,419 ★★★★
    edited July 2018
    Green Goblins are regularly used by folks for AWD placement especially on regen nodes and mini-boss at intermediate AW maps. Don't think GG is ever under-rated.

Punisher 2099 is actually not a good defender, I came across a few before and I like it bcos it is almost possible to kill one without loosing a single drop of blood.

Punisher (OG) can be a little annoying, but if we can evade long enough, he is as good as dead.

Cable can be very annoying, yes he can be a little under-rated in AWD.

War Machine is c/r/a/p/.
  • dcw_dcw_ Posts: 130
    Yeah not sure where you got GG as being underrated you see multiples of him in every AW.

In my opinion any champ that has any of the following can be or is a decent defender (assuming placed on the right node)
    Auto block
    Unblockable
    Unstoppable
    Power gain
    Evade
    Hard to dodge specials
    shrug off debuff mechanics (tenacity, rage)

Basically anything that could potentially add unpredictability to a fight and catch someone off guard
  • spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Cable is pretty much a blade counter and nothing more,

He's a good counter to IMIW as well
  • Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    Warmachine on enhanced sp1 does a surprising amount of bleed damage
  • SolswerdSolswerd Posts: 1,860 ★★★★
    Maidril wrote: »
    What does it mean to verse someone? Is that like, you write poems about them?

Western nasty flip
    A Green, ugly Goblin die
    enjoying the green

Cheerless eventide
    A naughty Punisher spank
    because of the cat

Crystal spins with hope
    Dreams of god tier champions
    Oh s**t, Spider-Gwen
  • DOKTOROKTOPUSDOKTOROKTOPUS Posts: 1,501 ★★★
    kingpin
  • Jones_643744Jones_643744 Posts: 13