**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

AW defense synergies need to be fixed

Okay so I recently acquired a five-star Sentinel. He's got great Synergy bonus with all the great Defenders of WAR. Someone in my Lions had said yep great synergies too bad they don't work in war defense? If this is the case is it or will it ever be fixed?

Comments

• Goose_81Goose_81 Posts: 111
    Most synergies do not work in AW, especially the synergies that are unique to certain champs. They did state a while ago they were not certain how they wanted to proceed with these synergies for AW defense. Kabam mentioned about a possible need of a way to inform the attacker if one of these synergies were activated.
  • JRock808JRock808 Posts: 1,149 ★★★★
    Because node 30 isn’t stupid enough?

They’ve commented many times, it I’ll be a while before they can work on it.

Honestly they need to leave it as is with the state of war currently.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    War sucks enough as-is. Also, some of those synergies would a) reveal other champs on the map, or b) be awful to fight against.
  • KhanMedinaKhanMedina Posts: 927 ★★★
    Many Synergies dont work. I only know that one of Dormamu works... no idea if it get fixed any time, but some synergies would be very hard to fight against

Then they shouldn't have been put in the game. Any defensive minded synergy is a waste at this point, which makes it unfair that they let people rank them up without being very clear that these synergies are moot on defense. They realized it with Void and changed the synergy with Avengers. They never should have put stuff like random bars of power at low health or letting people turn boss nodes into thorns.
  • Solrac_2Solrac_2 Posts: 497 ★★
    This probably won't be fixed because most in the higher tiers don't want defensive synergies to function. A possible solution would be to make the lower and mid tier maps more difficult.
  • RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,498 ★★★★★
    edited July 2018
    Clearly you haven't considered fighting an r5 Antman on a debuff immune node with Doc Oc synergy. Not to mention the increase in node difficulty they just introduced.
    Raganator wrote: »
    Clearly you haven't considered fighting an r5 Antman on a debuff immune node with Doc Oc synergy. Not to mention the increase in node difficulty they just introduced.

I get the feeling that the Antman quest this month was in part to collect data and let us get experience fighting vs that synergy. Or maybe they will eliminate that synergy and make it a basic feature for antman with the size classifications staying as counters.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    Yeah, some of the newer unique synergies would be crazy OP.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,041 ★★★★★
    DarthPhal wrote: »
    Everybody thinks they want this because it will make their defense better. Nobody will actually want this once they’ve had to attack against stacked synergy teams, especially on freshly buffed nodes.

yup, all you'll hear about is how allowing defensive synergies is just a money grab blah blah blah
  • Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
    DarthPhal wrote: »
    Everybody thinks they want this because it will make their defense better. Nobody will actually want this once they’ve had to attack against stacked synergy teams, especially on freshly buffed nodes.

True, however even Kabam can't seem to make up their mind, as they recently openly stated their intent was that no one was finishing the maps 100% easily. If that is the goal, and people in all tiers aren't supposed to be just breezing through until the mini bosses, then actually having synergies function as intended would make sense. But what decision actually makes sense over there lately? Lol. My problem, like another person stated, is that they didn't tell us these weren't functioning and it took the player base bringing it up and discovering it for them to admit they not only don't work but haven't for a while. It was dishonest and shady and kind of got swept under the rug, with the almost weekly issues this year. I can guarantee you before this was confirmed, people ranked up champions on their defense not for their kill ratio but the synergies they brought to other, better champions. You wanna tell me anyone truly ranked up a Karnak thinking it would get any kills on their defense at all? Absolutely not. They did it to go with their 5 star duped Medusa on stun immune node for the permanent armor breaks. Then they have the audacity to pretend like we're being unreasonable when we ask for rank down tickets. I specifically ranked up my Taskmaster because I had a 5 star MODOK we used as boss and he had a great synergy with him. Do I use taskmaster in literally any other game mode besides arena? Nope. It was specifically for war. They have spent the last year nerfing champions left and right, and all of them have synergies designed for defense in some capacity or another, yet we get **** for suggesting we deserve some way to change our roster due to jumping through Kabam's hoops? Ok.

Don't even get me started on asking people to concentrate on diversity to win a war, introducing it with no warning and changing the entire map and set up, ramping up the difficulty every update it seemed, and then suddenly deciding recently they were gonna drop diversity again. It doesn't matter that they went back on it after considerable blowback, it was the fact that they thought it was a good idea IN THE FIRST PLACE to do. It shows me yet again they have no care for us as players or the resources, time and money we have invested in this game and these characters. If they were actually following through on their promises after 12.0, they would be transparent and give people time and ways to adjust. They have done the opposite at every single chance since then. Drax? Oh you ranked him up to fight mordo specifically in war and quest when he was mini boss? Sorry, that is now a bug and needs to go. Archangel is stunning stun immune nodes? And we confirmed it was working as intended and a great feature of him? Nah, that's now a bug too. Rank down ticket? What are those? Did we say meta enough times to justify this guys? lol. It's just so ridiculous and gross as a company and it set the precedent for it to happen at any time in the future. And here we are.

So no, any decision they make on synergies isn't gonna be great. If they put them back and make them work, it will make war harder and even more of a giant cash grab. If they keep them out, they lied to the player base and designed characters with features we can never use, and ranked up for uses we cannot execute. I see threads pop every few days or so asking about these and not a ton of comments, but it honestly should be a bigger deal and I'm still not satisfied with the answers we got from Kabam on it. But with everything else going on right now, in this giant dumpster fire that is the game this year, at this point we should just add it to the giant list of problems that may or may not be solved. And definitely plan on being disappointed and it not going the way of benefiting the player, no matter what. That's my mindset from now on.
    Bump so people realize they are broken
  • MhykkeMhykke Posts: 431 ★★★
    KhanMedina wrote: »

It's not broken. They're intentionally left out of defense as there is no mechanism for attackers to see what synergies are active on a defender.

• Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    Zero synergies work on defense. It's been that way for a long time now.
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    KhanMedina wrote: »

Bump so people realise that they are intentionally disabled for the users' benefit

I'm fine with that wording, but they need to specify this in game that synergies are for attacking only. Some of these synergies are clearly defensive minded and telling me that they are turned off for my benefit does nothing to get me the resources back on Karnak, Black Bolt, Ant-Man, Doc Ock, or other champs that could have possibly been ranked up for defensive synergies that no one ever told me wouldn't work on defense.
  • Gigonite69Gigonite69 Posts: 92
    Fine, defensive AW synergies don’t work (and maybe shouldn’t work), but that doesn’t help the folks that specifically ranked up champions prior to discovering they don’t work through a fellow alliance member who happened to read an obscure initial post. Yeah, I’m talking about me and several other members of my alliance. Look, I’m over it now, but Kabam needs to explicitly state (not on the forum, but in-game) that defensive synergies (all or unique?), do not work. Players should NOT have to dive through a forum post to discover the precious resources they used on ranking up Doc Oc and Ant-Man were better used elsewhere.

A simple disclaimer stating that synergies don’t work for AW defense would be a suitable “fix,” similar to the you can’t use these champs in other modes of gameplay after placing these champs disclaimer. See, I won’t even complain about rank-down tickets.

ASV27 wrote: »
    They aren't broken, they're deactivated. AWD synergies would absolutely suck. I hope they never add them.

Let's remove signature abilities from defense because that makes it hard too.

Or maybe just don't add absurd defensive synergies that no one would ever want for offense and then tell me that I can't use them for defense either.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    edited July 2018
    @Kabam Miike please pass on to the team that this is among the lowest possible priorities. Synergies have been like this for so long that there isn't much excuse for people to use them as a basis for ranking champs, and as many have pointed out they would be insane. You'd basically have to show defenders and rework all the nodes again. Considering issues like pure skill still haven't been addressed... let's just hold off on any more potentially game-breaking changes to war.
  • Nick_Caine_32Nick_Caine_32 Posts: 587 ★★★★
    Raganator wrote: »
    They're not just deactivated, but while we work on getting them fixed, we also want to work on a way for us to be able to display what synergies are active, as some of them could be pretty devastating if they catch you off guard.

Kabam also realizes that many of them will be devastating even if you know what's coming. But, given the new nodes, I am guessing that is the point and they are frantically trying to make sure synergies do, in fact, work on defense.

Of course they are and that’s the whole point, they even openly admitted it this week which is why I find the whole thing funny. They initially said it was because it would make war too hard and no one would know the synergy going into the fight...but then came out and said war maps aren’t supposed to be 100% complete. Meaning they should be difficult to pass through fully. So the champs are hidden, a skilled player would probably be able to remember when the fight starts and they see a Medusa that she has certain added attributes through a synergy if that member used another champ on their team, and they would fight/adjust accordingly. And the fight would be harder. Hence making it harder to complete the map 100%. Just like kabam said.

I think they knew synergies weren’t working and didn’t think anyone would realize this, so they allowed people to believe it was working and rank up champs to bring on their team. When they got exposed and people realized it was messed up, they’ve been trying to save face ever since and come up with excuses for it. Now the excuses themselves don’t even make sense with previous statements. This seems to be status quo with kabam lately though. Quite a few previous clarifications are later changed or revised and it always will Be to a negative effect on our end. People should be demanding and screaming for rank down tickets in this case as they would actually be justified for something they believed worked on a champ that hasn’t for a long time. Why continue to make champs have defense synergies if the only game mode you can use them on doesn’t work? Would love to finally have a clear answer on all of this but I’m not holding my breath.

edited July 2018
    Menkent wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike please pass on to the team that this is among the lowest possible priorities. Synergies have been like this for so long that there isn't much excuse for people to use them as a basis for ranking champs, and as many have pointed out they would be insane. You'd basically have to show defenders and rework all the nodes again. Considering issues like pure skill still haven't been addressed... let's just hold off on any more potentially game-breaking changes to war.

You are stating incorrect information. I'm sure Kabam knows better than either of us, but you'll still see plenty of defenses chosen for synergies (whether new extreme ones, or older ones) because it still changes the ratings on everyone listed in the synergy, which makes them look like they work. Why would any casual player that doesn't visit the forum ever even consider that they might not be working? Everyone heard about it from someone else that looks here. If no one ever told you about the obscure posts here, or if you didn't ask the other team, there are 0 ways for you to have known about this issue. Check your bgs and your opponents, and I'd bet you see a black bolt or karnak with medusa, or a mordo/hood with Dorm somewhere. Maybe these were really just their best defenders, but the more likely answer is they think these synergies work because they have no reason to think otherwise.

Just to be clear, I agree that these synergies would suck, but then they should just bite the bullet and change these to things like crit, power gain, etc that have been around for years with no problem. At least I'd get something out of having 10 basic synergies on my team compared to the nothing I get now just because you tried making Antman relevant without Thorn node.
  • HollowbornHollowborn Posts: 345
    edited July 2018
    Yeah don't give us defensive synergies that we can't even use on defense, where is the logic in that? I'm not going into an uncollected event planning on using them that way, so why even have them at all?
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    Careful what you wish for. I can guarantee that you won't like them once you start facing them at higher tiers. Maybe if they make them work at tier 5 and below that would make people happier... don't know. I just don't want them back is all I know.
    Why not just add a sticky thread at the top with the above Mod Message so people can at least see they are deactivated/broken/whatever as soon as they get on here instead of just finding out randomly while browsing. Only a matter of time before this thread gets closed or buried, and then we'll have a new one next week when another non-regular comes on wondering why his synergy specific defense never gets kills.