**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Flags

I was flagged for no reason. This needs to stop. It really gets on my nerves.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    I agree. It's very juvenile. You develop a tolerance after a while. People Flag everything for no reason, and it just mutes out the valid Flags. My suggestion is not to take it personally. It's The Internet. There are people who just set out to cause a disturbance for no reason. Not all people, but they do exist.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    SummonerB2 wrote: »

Unfortunately, that is part of the price for a community input moderation system. People will actually provide input. Sometimes it is for a reason you are unaware of, sometimes it has little to do with your post. It happens to me occasionally as well: I know some posters are just flagging every post they see from a particular individual as some sort of protest against them personally, sometimes for peculiar philosophical nonsense (one person was flagging everything I was posting on the basis that no one should post as many posts as I did, period). It happens.

The only comfort I can provide is that flagging a post is not just some anonymous downvote on the forums: flagging notifies the mods that the person is highlighting the post for moderation. And that means abuse of the flagging system directly impacts the mods. Flagging for inappropriate reasons or no reason is itself a violation of the forum rules and repeated use of the system for that purpose will eventually lead to repercussions for that poster. It doesn't really hurt you to be randomly flagged by one or two people, but if they continue to do it they can have their posting privileges eventually suspended. They are shooting themselves in the foot to do it.

In the meantime, I would try to ignore it best you can. I review every time I'm flagged to see if I actually posted something questionable. When it turns out not to be, I write it off and carry on. It is the internet after all, and a thick skin is mandatory.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Unfortunately, that is part of the price for a community input moderation system. People will actually provide input. Sometimes it is for a reason you are unaware of, sometimes it has little to do with your post. It happens to me occasionally as well: I know some posters are just flagging every post they see from a particular individual as some sort of protest against them personally, sometimes for peculiar philosophical nonsense (one person was flagging everything I was posting on the basis that no one should post as many posts as I did, period). It happens.

The only comfort I can provide is that flagging a post is not just some anonymous downvote on the forums: flagging notifies the mods that the person is highlighting the post for moderation. And that means abuse of the flagging system directly impacts the mods. Flagging for inappropriate reasons or no reason is itself a violation of the forum rules and repeated use of the system for that purpose will eventually lead to repercussions for that poster. It doesn't really hurt you to be randomly flagged by one or two people, but if they continue to do it they can have their posting privileges eventually suspended. They are shooting themselves in the foot to do it.

In the meantime, I would try to ignore it best you can. I review every time I'm flagged to see if I actually posted something questionable. When it turns out not to be, I write it off and carry on. It is the internet after all, and a thick skin is mandatory.

I agree. I'm also pretty self-aware, so when I teeter on the border, I know it warrants it. The rest I just let go. I read mine occasionally and its just a chuckle. Some people make everything personal, and if they see a shiny opportunity to exert their personal feelings, they will. Lol.
  • SummonerB2SummonerB2 Posts: 556
    I was just defending myself after I was called something unkind.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Flag the thread! Especially this post!

Get over it guys, someone had an unfavorable opinion about your post be glad they even bothered to read it. Only you look at your profile, no one but you cares about your points.
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »

I agree. I'm also pretty self-aware, so when I teeter on the border, I know it warrants it. The rest I just let go. I read mine occasionally and its just a chuckle. Some people make everything personal, and if they see a shiny opportunity to exert their personal feelings, they will. Lol.

I see a lot of randomly flagged posts too, in theory it's a good thing to have but from what I've seen @GroundedWisdom there's no reason why you should have so many in particular. Sure you post a lot but it's never been offensive or anything. So far I'm only on 1 personally, maybe I'm just lucky haha. Maybe a disagree button could help but that will probably just make it worse. 2 things to use if that existed too. Either way it's not as if the 'points' mean anything, probably best to just ignore it and move on.
    I don't care about the points at all, actually. Have a look. Does it look like I'm bent out of shape? Lol. I just find it hilarious that people act like that.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited July 2017
    Miike when you say this, have this system in place, Kabam implicitly condones every flag that they fail to moderate.

I have read the rules a couple times and keep missing where it speaks on the flagging system, can you help us by pointing it out? Because right now we're told to report based on feelings.

"If you see a post that you feel violates our forum rules, please use our report feature instead of sending a moderator a private message. The reporting function of these forums is much more functional, and your use of this will help to ensure we can keep our forums clean!"
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    Miike when you say this, have this system in place, Kabam implicitly condones every flag that they fail to moderate.

I have read the rules a couple times and keep missing where it speaks on the flagging system, can you help us by pointing it out? Because right now we're told to report based on feelings.

"If you see a post that you feel violates our forum rules, please use our report feature instead of sending a moderator a private message. The reporting function of these forums is much more functional, and your use of this will help to ensure we can keep our forums clean!"

There is this:
    10- Do not impersonate moderators, or pretend to be a representative of the game. Additionally, only report a post if it truly breaks one of the rules, but do not make posts to invoke a moderator response or incite more rule breaking.

Its ... weirdly ineloquent because the relevant passage appears to have been accidentally copy/pasted into the wrong paragraph. But rule 10 says to only report a post if it actually breaks a rule. That in combination with the directive to use the reporting feature rather than private messages appears to state that posters should use the Flag button to report spam and abuse only when the post being reported is actually spam or abusive. If you fail to follow those two rules, then:
    If you fail to follow these rules, you may receive a warning, temporary ban or permanent ban depending on the severity of the infraction. This is left up to the discretion of our moderation team. In truly egregious instances, violating our forum rules may also result in the suspension of your in-game account.

I suppose they could explicitly state that the "reporting feature" is the flag button, but are there really that many posters that do not realize that the Flag button is the reporting feature of the forums?
  • GunzoGunzo Posts: 719 ★★
    Woolverine is back
  • SummonerB2SummonerB2 Posts: 556
    Who is woolverine?
  • GunzoGunzo Posts: 719 ★★
    Who is woolverine?

A legendary spammer who used to cause the Flagpocalypse, he might be back, I saw a thread with huge amount of flags for no reason
  • CuteshelfCuteshelf Posts: 747 ★★★
    Yeah, this is a good time to remind people that abuse of the flagging system can get you banned from the Forums. it's not cool, and it slows down moderation significantly.

The flagging system is NOT for posts that you disagree with. It's only for when you see a post that is legitimately spam, or abusive. Please do not use it for anything else.

Can we get a 'dislike' button?
    Cuteshelf wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a good time to remind people that abuse of the flagging system can get you banned from the Forums. it's not cool, and it slows down moderation significantly.

The flagging system is NOT for posts that you disagree with. It's only for when you see a post that is legitimately spam, or abusive. Please do not use it for anything else.

It's an idea. I'm just not sure it's a solution to people abusing the Flagging Function. The Flag is not a Dislike Button. It's not there for Posts people don't like. It's for reporting something that violates the rules of the Forum. The reality is that the majority of people abusing it are aware of what it's for. It's usually easy to point them out because they either Flag everything one person says, or Flag everything in a Thread.
    The suggestion has come up before and I don't have any issues with it. I just don't see it as a solution to that issue. It's like saying people will abuse the Flag until they get what they want. Just my opinion.
  • No flag, no country. It's the rules that . . . I just made up.
  • FthewiggFthewigg Posts: 104

So we should only use it as a means of doing your job for you? Got it.

Hilarious that the #1 dribble flagger has something to say about this

Probably not. I know there are people who believe that a dislike or disagree button is no different than a like or agree button, but there is a difference between them. In general, the mods (I'm assuming, because this is true for lots of similar forums) do not want people simply posting "I agree" or "I disagree" to posts. Neither is especially constructive. They would rather people say explicitly why they agree or disagree with a post. But the catch is that it is often the case that when someone agrees with something, there is nothing else to say: they agree explicitly because they would say the same thing, and nothing more. It is possible to agree in a way that cannot be elaborated upon without simply repeating what someone said.

That's not true for disagreement. By definition, if you disagree, it is because you would in fact say something different. And while there is only one way to agree, there are an unlimited number of ways to disagree. No two people necessarily disagree with the same thing in the same way. The Agree button allows people to express agreement when it is impossible or too difficult to contribute additional information. But it is never impossible to express why you disagree. If you want to disagree, the mods want you to disagree in a constructive way. They don't want people disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing with no additional constructive expression, and don't want to give people the option of lodging anonymous and unspecified disagreement with other posters.

It is also probably true that in general the forum mods want to promote positivity. And that's generally not tipping the scales much, because negativity has lots of promoters to counterbalance that.
    I feel like people are flagging when they disagree.
    I myself find myself looking for a 'downvote' like on Reddit sometimes.

Also you might find someone downvoting a comment might reduce the number of negative replies.
    edited July 2017

Also you might find someone downvoting a comment might reduce the number of negative replies.
    Not at all. It only encourages it. This is not Reddit. For that matter, Reddit is not exactly a good example of diplomatic conversation. Any situation that involves people having an effect on someone's freedom of speech is inviting abusive behavior. This is an Open Forum. It is not regulated by popular vote. Everyone has the right to register their views so long as it stays within the rules of the Forum. Therein lies the problem. People treat it like Reddit, and it's not a place where you can vote away the opinions you don't like, regardless of how many people jump on the bandwagon. Not you specifically, just the general sense. Any opportunity that people have to gang up on unpopular opinions, it will be abused.
    Fthewigg wrote: »

So we should only use it as a means of doing your job for you? Got it.

Hilarious that the #1 dribble flagger has something to say about this

When someone invests their energy into targeting one specific individual in an abusive way, that usually warrants a Flag. Thanks for the example.

Upvoting and downvoting work together on Reddit to serve a specific purpose, or set of them. One such purpose is that there is a presumption that there is more stuff going on in Reddit than anyone could possibly read. Voting implies positive significance: posts and threads with the most upvotes go higher and the most downvotes go lower as a form of content sorting. Downvoting doesn't just imply disagreement: it implies fewer people should even read your post at all, which is not the same thing.

The system is more complicated than just up and down voting: there are points systems and there is the culture of Reddit and its individual subreddits themselves that work in concert to make the system work, to the extent that it does work. It isn't trivial to adopt elements of the system piecemeal, and it doesn't always work on every forum I've seen it attempted on.
  • AddyosAddyos Posts: 1,090 ★★★★

Yeah. This place sometimes feels like a reverse Six Flag Amusement Park. The more flags do NOT equal to more fun...
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    Addyos wrote: »

Yeah. This place sometimes feels like a reverse Six Flag Amusement Park. The more flags do NOT equal to more fun...

Six flags is fun? It's hot, expensive, and lots of long lines.
    Thawnim wrote: »
    Addyos wrote: »

Six flags is fun? It's hot, expensive, and lots of long lines.

So it's like Lindsay Lohan?
    edited July 2017
    Bloody hell. You make a suggestion and you get thesis replies on barely relevant stuff.

My point is, there's 4 positive buttons with slightly different functions and 'Lol' which could be taken either way, and one that is there for flagging for abuse/spam.

There's no options to disagree with the post aside from quoting.

And the problem with quoting is that it often starts rant wars because there are members in this forum. That just like to argue.

Having disagree button can be a quick response to someone's rediculous comment without starting a retaliation war from people who live in this forum to troll.
    Bloody hell. You make a suggestion and you get thesis replies on barely relevant stuff.

My point is, there's 4 positive buttons with slightly different functions and 'Lol' which could be taken either way, and one that is there for flagging for abuse/spam.

There's no options to disagree with the post aside from quoting.

And the problem with quoting is that it often starts rant wars because there are members in this forum. That just like to argue.

Having disagree button can be a quick response to someone's rediculous comment without starting a retaliation war from people who live in this forum to troll.

That's not a solution, though. Trolls exist. They will troll the Dislike Button the same way. That's the whole point. Having negative reactions invites more negativity. People don't need to negatively impact someone's Posts or their Profile if they disagree. They can have a healthy debate and state why they disagree, or they can skip over the comment. Whenever people have the power to negatively impact others, it will inevitably be abused. Disagreeing is fine. Debating is welcomed. It shouldn't be an opportunity for others to affect someone's comments or Profile. That's just inviting problems itself.
  • RB6942RB6942 Posts: 72
    @Kabam Miike Personally I think the flag button should get moved to behind LOL maybe. A lot of people scroll with their left thumb near the left edge and sometimes might accidentally flag a post as they're scrolling thru posts. I think this might be one of the reasons sometimes posts that are just fine are flagged, granted you do have people that will be ignorant and flag someone else because they don't like them or they don't like what they are saying. Idk, it's just a thought.
  • DAVIDTHDAVIDTH Posts: 224
    RB6942 wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike Personally I think the flag button should get moved to behind LOL maybe. A lot of people scroll with their left thumb near the left edge and sometimes might accidentally flag a post as they're scrolling thru posts. I think this might be one of the reasons sometimes posts that are just fine are flagged, granted you do have people that will be ignorant and flag someone else because they don't like them or they don't like what they are saying. Idk, it's just a thought.

no