**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Quake Heavy Issue

I’ve searched for info on this issue yet I still can’t find an answer for it. When I got Quake I watched some gameplay for tips on how to use her.

I noticed in those videos she would go from Heavy > Evade > Back Into Heavy...

Moments later I try to replicate that and it doesn’t happen (I’m not a bad player I know what I’m doing). Months later...this is still the case...what am I missing here?

Comments

• Options
    https://youtu.be/eQtPmlCelmE That’s a link to a recent video. Notice the first fight where she evades then immediately can’t go into Heavy straight away.
  • Options
    Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    To me, without seeing your fingers, I looks like you are trying to hold heavy too soon compared to another action, like auto evade or dexterity.

I will have to go test this when I have some time, as this isn't typically how I play her.

You:
    Heavy --> auto-evade --> evade --> heavy

I prefer:
    Heavy --> auto-evade --> Parry --> heavy

Even if you can't get the parry mechanic down right away, I find it easier to start with holding both block and heavy, that way when you evade the first time, you'll already be blocking the next hit instead of evading.

You may still have found a bug, but maybe this can help.
  • Options
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    To me, without seeing your fingers, I looks like you are trying to hold heavy too soon compared to another action, like auto evade or dexterity.

I will have to go test this when I have some time, as this isn't typically how I play her.

You:

I prefer:

Even if you can't get the parry mechanic down right away, I find it easier to start with holding both block and heavy, that way when you evade the first time, you'll already be blocking the next hit instead of evading.

I understand what you’re saying, my technique is: hold heavy > *auto evade* > swipe left (in case of another attack after evade) > hold down heavy again.

I have seen numerous videos where they auto evade and they’re straight back into charging a heavy without the need to parry etc. It’s an interesting one however very frustrating as for some reason I can’t utilise her to her optimum level.
  • Options

You:

I prefer:

I understand what you’re saying, my technique is: hold heavy > *auto evade* > swipe left (in case of another attack after evade) > hold down heavy again.

I have seen numerous videos where they auto evade and they’re straight back into charging a heavy without the need to parry etc. It’s an interesting one however very frustrating as for some reason I can’t utilise her to her optimum level.

From the videos I've watched, parrying IS the optimum level. You stun them for a period of time to keep charging, and you can get the aftershock counter higher than usual. I have some time now. Going to test what you are talking about.
  • Options
    Tested a few times. I only encounter it when trying to hold heavy if In the middle of the swipe or other animation. If I time it right, she can still heavy
  • Options
    ShivamrajShivamraj Posts: 3
    Add you
  • Options
    TheWitcherTheWitcher Posts: 36
    Quake is bugged by many and many updates. I've wrote yet the same issue, but after last update nothing is changed.
  • Options
    I have the same exact issue. I have mimicked many videos to try to use the full evade quake, however as you have mentioned after an evade i can't go back into heavy.

Sometimes this is so bad that i keep on pressing heavy many times and she is just standing there, the only way i can go back into heavy is through holding block (or parry) or using an SP.

I have used this on both iphone 6s and ipad pro. Have a feeling it might be a device thing.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    This problem has resurfaced for me. There appears to be a timing issue for Quake to go back into heavy after her auto evade. I find myself having to load the heavy more than a couple of times to get her restarted.

The practical result is that she often stands straight up after evading even though heavy is input again. Occasionally, she even wanders into the opponent, which results in a combo to the face.

The problem is more pronounced when playing a “no-contact,” auto-evade plus dexterity style. I’ve watched Dave’s video about light touches versus pressing down, and she was my 2nd R4 a long time ago. This isn’t a “how do I play her” post.

She’s a great champ—one of my best. However, she is periodically bugged after updates. Please fix her.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    DrZola wrote: »
    This problem has resurfaced for me. There appears to be a timing issue for Quake to go back into heavy after her auto evade. I find myself having to load the heavy more than a couple of times to get her restarted.

The practical result is that she often stands straight up after evading even though heavy is input again. Occasionally, she even wanders into the opponent, which results in a combo to the face.

The problem is more pronounced when playing a “no-contact,” auto-evade plus dexterity style. I’ve watched Dave’s video about light touches versus pressing down, and she was my 2nd R4 a long time ago. This isn’t a “how do I play her” post.

She’s a great champ—one of my best. However, she is periodically bugged after updates. Please fix her.

Dr. Zola

Just my two cents as a quake user and someone who occasionally experiences lag.

i only ever see this when my game is choppy and doesnt register the heavy. Under normal conditions I don't see it
  • Options
    DrZola wrote: »

Dr. Zola

Just my two cents as a quake user and someone who occasionally experiences lag.

i only ever see this when my game is choppy and doesnt register the heavy. Under normal conditions I don't see it

My game, regrettably, is perennially choppy, even with everything other than MCoC shut down. I drop WiFi signal multiple times per login, even with a full bar and full functionality with other devices. Uninstall/reinstall/uninstall/reinstall has been the pattern lately.

Is it too much to ask that a game which can require pinpoint control actually deliver something approaching pinpoint-ish performance?

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Unless fighting against an opponent that doesn’t get parried (IMIW Medum, Yondu Light, Widow if ability reduced the parry away, etc), then normally against others it is fairly simple after some practice to continually Parry, Heavy-hold, auto-evade, and Parry them Right back again after the auto-evade. You should probably not be trying to do your own evade after the auto-evade happens as the Orig Poster seemed to be doing (you get pushed against the wall to quickly that way).

FYI, haven’t seen any differences lately (just that some attackers may have slightly different speed of rushing in during their attacks)
  • Options
    SummonerNR wrote: »
    Unless fighting against an opponent that doesn’t get parried (IMIW Medum, Yondu Light, Widow if ability reduced the parry away, etc), then normally against others it is fairly simple after some practice to continually Parry, Heavy-hold, auto-evade, and Parry them Right back again after the auto-evade. You should probably not be trying to do your own evade after the auto-evade happens as the Orig Poster seemed to be doing (you get pushed against the wall to quickly that way).

FYI, haven’t seen any differences lately (just that some attackers may have slightly different speed of rushing in during their attacks)

The auto-evade + dex move is commonly used with Quake when parry isn’t really a good option—for example, on nodes where your block deteriorates over time, with block penetration attackers or with high attack AI. Parry in those scenarios can be painful.

I wonder if it is device-specific. I remember a time when Quake was badly bugged and behaved similarly; however, it seems less wide-spread now than it was.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    I've been following @DorkLessons "Quake Destroys..." series and running the full touchless method is very, very touchy (pun intended).

Auto-evade, dex, then heavy again requires absolute precise timing and it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a mis-timed or a dropped input (I play on an Android), or a casualty of the lag.

My wifi at home is unreliable so I end up running on 4g wireless, and combined with the device and other sources of lag (especially arena helps), playing reliable touchless seems damn near impossible. I was hoping to use her in the Captain Marvel event against Rogue, but just isn't a reliable champ. Doing the auto-evade, parry method against Rogue is a death sentence.