Champion Spotlight - Thing

1235»

Comments

• Vale84Vale84 Posts: 308
    edited January 13
    What was the reasoning for making him science? Given the origin of his powers Cosmic seems more fitting.

For Cosmic vs. Science, Marvel's suggestion was that the F4 are in-line with other champions who were exposed to radiation due to experiments (like Spider-Man or Hulk). We consider aliens and people changed by alien experiments (like Captain Marvel) to be Cosmic.

This is another champion that wasn't properly tested before release, expecially its interaction with certain WAR nodes. It's extremely fine to keep his stacks in control facing him as opponent without certain war nodes, but the bleed compared to the dmg necessary to take down a r5 on a war avg node can't keep up with the charges. In the long run it'll become actually detrimental. Nodes like All or nothing, given his abilities, become literally single-champion oriented if he's placed there. The unblockable part is absolutely stupid and impossible to manage after his sp3 on certain nodes. taking out the unblockable would actually give fair game fighting him, but you dont have enough map space to play around for those many seconds trying not get hit and unable to block, given sp3 automatically walls you. A fair deal would be either reducing the umblockable time, removing it, or make his sp3 fairly resets fight at the center of the map.

This is IMIW on 38 all over again, with the difference that there arent more than 1 counter to him on some nodes.

You should alwais consider all nodes players have to face in content before adjusting certain champs. All it seems to me is an excuse to rank and buy Black Widow 5* version as things stand n
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 1,176
    so what i read is if you dont have a power drain, power lock or taunt champs you're screwed in aw when he's on AON
    The beating people are gonna take who are assigned that path is gonna be legendary
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 2,538
    So apart from Bleed and baiting specials at exactly 15 charges, shouldn't there at least be a normal way of removing these charges?

For example, there are hard counters to Korg like Omega Red but every champ can light intercept and take his charges out. There doesn't seem to be anything here for the Thing.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 3,673
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    So apart from Bleed and baiting specials at exactly 15 charges, shouldn't there at least be a normal way of removing these charges?

For example, there are hard counters to Korg like Omega Red but every champ can light intercept and take his charges out. There doesn't seem to be anything here for the Thing.
    Taunt and when he is a 15 rool he losse all hes rok
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 1,720
    Jh_Dez wrote: »
    TacoScotty wrote: »
    Feel Thing signature was also built to interact well with Flares nodes as he may constantly go into reduced damage mode negating the increased attack while you are stuck with degen (and starburst in AW). I am sure we will see him soon in Flare by Kabam (Act vi)

Flare pfft what about the health steal-degeneration node that heals you based on the damage you deal ?

Power Shield should be interesting, too: +400% Special damage should ensure that this triggers on pretty much every special attack.
  • JCBRJCBR Posts: 30
    Haji_Saab wrote: »

I hope Feb update will give us a champ who can effectively counter Thing.

• winterthurwinterthur Posts: 3,149
    Will the Thing still generates 4 rock stacks with a well-timed block (sorry, I don't know if well-timed block activates in this scenario) against an debuff immune / stun immune Opponent?
  • edited January 14
    winterthur wrote: »
    Will the Thing still generates 4 rock stacks with a well-timed block (sorry, I don't know if well-timed block activates in this scenario) against an debuff immune / stun immune Opponent?

Yes! Just like Blade, or other Champions that activate abilities with well timed blocks, Parry or the Stun from Parry is not necessary.
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 340
    Key Counters for AW that I can think of:

AON mini:
    Quake (right?) - doesn’t need to hit him, though I don’t use her much
    Sparky - hope taunt work
    Maybe Emma but also have to worry about plague mind

AON path 4
    Same as mini, Emma more viable

Flare (assuming max sig)
    Feels like it would turn into a void fight or potentially poisons from DrV

Powershield
    Void or Drv? But more options (just very slow) than flare since you don’t have degen killing you

Update as you see fit for champs I am missing or just wrong on

AON mini:
    Sparky - hope taunt work

AON path 4

Flare (assuming max sig)

Powershield
    Void or Drv? But more options (just very slow) than flare since you don’t have degen killing you

you are right about quake
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,013

AON mini:
    Sparky - hope taunt work

AON path 4

Flare (assuming max sig)

Powershield

You are incorrect with DV. Since he needs to nullify in order to trigger most of his abilities, and Thing is immune to nullify, DV will never be a good matchup against him. I’m 95% sure. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on one of his abilities, but poison for sure won’t work. Pretty sure his power burn L2 is based on nullify too.
    V1PER1987 wrote: »

AON mini:
    Sparky - hope taunt work

AON path 4

Flare (assuming max sig)

Powershield

You are incorrect with DV. Since he needs to nullify in order to trigger most of his abilities, and Thing is immune to nullify, DV will never be a good matchup against him. I’m 95% sure. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on one of his abilities, but poison for sure won’t work. Pretty sure his power burn L2 is based on nullify too.

yah you are right
    Nojokejaym wrote: »

AON mini:
    Sparky - hope taunt work

AON path 4

Flare (assuming max sig)

Powershield

you are right about quake

Hyperion will crush him on all but AON and debuff immune nodes.
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 340
    edited January 15
    Good point about DrV forgot about nullify - quake aftershock work on powershield?
  • Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 746
    This seems weird, but Blade could handle him on AoN probably. The parry to inflict bleed ability can be used to reduce his rock stacks. But the increased physical resistance and bleed immunity, it might be tough for Blade to kill him before he reaches his special 3. Especially if Thing is duped.

Other options that might work:
    Elektra + Resonate, might stop a lot of rock stacks from happening.
    Elektra + Pacify, hit into stun only.
    Gwenpool + Pacify might do it. Build up a combo to stop the stacks, occasional bleed takes some off.
    CapIW + Night Thrasher, that 50% ability reduction debuff on parry ought to allow you do get past the rock stacks a bunch.

Nothing is really ideal that I'm seeing though.
  • FrankCYoungFrankCYoung Posts: 194
    Why does the thing look like a 12 year old made him? Kinda looks sad looking...but I’m glad he’s finally in the game.
  • SassarothSassaroth Posts: 11
    Arknight wrote: »
    Can CaliW remove his unstoppable?

No, he cannot, since CapIW uses Nullify to remove Unstoppable Buffs, and Thing is immune to Nullify.

What about the Loa buffs DR Voodoo places on the enemy. Does the game consider that Loa effect now owned by Thing or under the control of Voodoo. Since Dr Voodoo and Envenom aka posion buffs with his spec 1 attack.

Would the loa and other buffs be unaffected .... and the spec 1 attack fail. , the only Loa get affected, and Thing get poisoned, or the buffs just dont get nullified ... butt voodoo can still poison them.
    Sassaroth wrote: »
    Arknight wrote: »
    Can CaliW remove his unstoppable?

No, he cannot, since CapIW uses Nullify to remove Unstoppable Buffs, and Thing is immune to Nullify.

What about the Loa buffs DR Voodoo places on the enemy. Does the game consider that Loa effect now owned by Thing or under the control of Voodoo. Since Dr Voodoo and Envenom aka posion buffs with his spec 1 attack.

Would the loa and other buffs be unaffected .... and the spec 1 attack fail. , the only Loa get affected, and Thing get poisoned, or the buffs just dont get nullified ... butt voodoo can still poison them.

The Loas will not be nullified. The Thing shuts down Dr Vodoo almost completely. The ability accuracy reduction will work though on odd combos.
  • nebneb Posts: 415
    I found another nice thing interaction. Charge a heavy into a special attack, negates recoil damage when running suicides.
  • SpizaetoSpizaeto Posts: 6
    PaytoPlay wrote: »

How will bleed immune AW AQ nodes affect the thing? Will bleed make it to the thing and remove Rock stack or will the node just remove the bleed effect, meaning all the thing will see is a normal non bleed attack ?

If Thing gains additional immunity to Bleed through a node, his Rock Stacks will still function as normal and be removed when the Bleed would trigger.

With respect, I have a bit of an issue with this. The verbiage does not say “whenever a bleed is activated”. It says “whenever a bleed would be received”. On a immune node, a bleed would never be received.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 774
    so basically he's like og hulk, just better? meh
  • AleorAleor Posts: 774
    and I just got it - duped deadpool xforce is mvp vs thing. so jealous of all those folks with duped 6* dpx now
    Spizaeto wrote: »
    PaytoPlay wrote: »

How will bleed immune AW AQ nodes affect the thing? Will bleed make it to the thing and remove Rock stack or will the node just remove the bleed effect, meaning all the thing will see is a normal non bleed attack ?

If Thing gains additional immunity to Bleed through a node, his Rock Stacks will still function as normal and be removed when the Bleed would trigger.

With respect, I have a bit of an issue with this. The verbiage does not say “whenever a bleed is activated”. It says “whenever a bleed would be received”. On a immune node, a bleed would never be received.

That's not correct ... the immune node does say when a bleed would have been received ... it calls out the text "Immune" on that ... so it is the same as the thing without that node
  • Sheer_ColdSheer_Cold Posts: 121
    The Thing is awesome, one of my new favorite champions, but I think he's a tad overpowered since every other hit makes him unstoppable. All you have to do is not use your specials and boom- pretty much guaranteed win.
  • Cma1323Cma1323 Posts: 33
    In regards to Thing's sp1 and sp2 removal of rock stacks, it says whenever there are 15 or more that all rock stacks are removed when a sp1 or sp2 are used. However I have had fights where he is 16 or 17 and not all are removed. So is there a bug with the specials attacks or is the info on his profile wrong?
  • @Kabam Miike @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious
    What ability made THE THING to immune to nullify and stagger
  • HugeBeanHugeBean Posts: 12
    Was Thing's Brave and the Boulder synergy changed?! Mine states last hit of SP2 and only has 2 champs.