A discussion about Phoenix

Obviously no one would argue that Phoenix is even the best cosmic champion in the game, however I feel that she is somewhat underrated, and underused. I wanted to put together this sort of guide for anyone who may want to use her, or perhaps pull her as their first 4/5* and want to know how to maximize her output.

How to Play Phoenix:

If- you can’t parry:
Heavy Intercept 5x (this should give you 5 phoenix charges and a bar of power)
SP1
Heavy intercept 1x (should give 3 bars of power, if not get to an sp3)
Once at 10 Furies, SP3
Repeat

If-you can parry:
Parry-Medium-Heavy 5x
SP1
Parry-Medium-Heavy 1x
Once at 10 Furies, SP3
Repeat

Phoenix’s Style is very similar to Havok’s, in the sense you only want to be using SP1 and SP3. You rarely, if not never, want to use 5 hit-combos or SP2 in order to maximize damage, power control (from so few hits), and utility.

Utility:

Incinerate: her worst piece of utility as it does very little damage, and it provides a passive stun affect only when she is overloaded, something you never want to be in. It also reduces perfect block chance of the opponent to 0% and Block proficiency by 50%.
Power Gain: her passive power gain off her sp1 is the most essential part of playing this character, you ideally want at least 5 phoenix charges before using her SP1 to maximize this ability.
Armor break: Using the above two methods of playing the character, you should have 100% up time after initiating her first armor break (great counter for Killmonger) and it helps give her sp3 even more damage.
Cheat death: When awakened, Phoenix will not die when first reaching 0% health, and instead will regenerate a certain amount of health based off her current phoenix force stacks (could be very useful when entering fights at low health and can be used as potions in a way). This can aslo be paired with other cheat death mechanics (Heimdall, Hela-Angela) to essentially give her 3 lives in total.
All Attacks are energy attacks: This means she is a great counter to champions like Korg or champions with high physical resistance.

Pros:

Great matchups for certain hard to defeat characters. Korg, Killmonger, IMIW, any autoblock champion, and any heavy intercept champion. She greatly benefits from her heavy attack use which makes her good for these champions.

She fits extremely well into the mutant crit team. Using a synergy team of Wolverine-Blue Cyclops-Magneto-Storm, she gains about 465 crit rating, 230 crit damage rating, 12% attack, 8% power gain, 190 Armor rating, 12% Special Attack damage, and 10% perfect block chance.

The use of so few attacks in the above style allows the opponent to gain less total power in a fight then a normal 5-hit combo champion would.

Her prestige is one of the best in the game.


Cons:

When comparing her to other characters with similar play styles (Havok for SP3, Cap IW for med-heavy combos) her damage is comparatively lacking quite a bit. Her Furies max out at about +120%* of her attack (this is doubled for her SP3), which is not great compared to anyone in just the Cosmic Class.

She is absolutely terrible against any champion that punishes/nullifies/prevents buffs (Dormamu, Dr. Strange, Mephisto) or any champions that benefits from incinerate debuffs (red hulk, mephisto).

Her Incinerate debuffs do almost no damage at all. Going against anyone with willpower would heal the opponent rather than damage them.

To the best of my knowledge, she currently has no unique synergy with any character, and especially none that have changed how she is viewed in the community.

Possible Buff:
Change each Fury buff from ~12%* of Phoenix’s Attack to ~20%* of Phoenix’s Attack. This way at 10 Furies she would be at about +200%* attack rather than +120%* attack.

Change Incinerates so they deal the amount of attack rating increased by furies (at 5 furies it would be 100%*, at 6 furies it would be 120%*, etc…) of her damage as energy damage over 6 seconds.

Allow incinerates to be applied through the opponents block.

Allow the block proficiency decrease on the opponent to be scaled up from 50%-100% based on the number of incinerates on the opponent (i.e. you would need anywhere from 5-10 incinerates to have 100% reduced block proficiency)

On her special 3, instead of having the attack rating just double the attack rating of your current furies when consuming them (in this buffed scenario it would be 400%*), have the damage done be based on her base furies (at 10 stacks, approximately 200%*) and then place an incinerate buff that deals [furies attack rating x 2] (up to 400%*) in energy damage over 10 seconds.

Possible Unique Synergy:

Allow the attack rating increase of her furies be multiplied by the number of current phoenix force charges.


*Any number with an asterisks would identified by a specific attack rating in Phoenix’s abilities, for the sake of simplicity I have used percentages.

If you have any other suggestions, tips, or points you would like to add about Phoenix, please don’t be afraid to respond.

Comments

  • JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 543 ★★★

  • Starkiller_KE2_0Starkiller_KE2_0 Posts: 154
    JChanceH9 said:


    Thank you for sharing. I would still support my claim that this synergy didn't affect how the community at large views phoenix, as it doesn't do much useful.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 4,627 ★★★★
    edited March 2019
    Any change from the Phoenix described above with this version explained below?

    .
    Grinder said:

    People don't believe it because facts outweigh hopes. And no, she can't out damage a thor or hyperion. She can't even out damage ms marvel/cpt marvel when duped. And none of those champs even need to have focus to stay in the damage, and if something doesn't go perfect to plan you have to start all over with her. I'm sorry if she's you're only good cosmic, but shes far from the top of the list. She's strictly prestige for 90% of the community, the other 10% either don't have anything better or are trying to hype up a not-so-hype champ.



    Her animations are fun to use, but she will always just be an arena pawn. If she had some utility she may have been ok to use.

  • Starkiller_KE2_0Starkiller_KE2_0 Posts: 154

    Any change from the Phoenix described above with this version explained below?

    .

    Grinder said:

    People don't believe it because facts outweigh hopes. And no, she can't out damage a thor or hyperion. She can't even out damage ms marvel/cpt marvel when duped. And none of those champs even need to have focus to stay in the damage, and if something doesn't go perfect to plan you have to start all over with her. I'm sorry if she's you're only good cosmic, but shes far from the top of the list. She's strictly prestige for 90% of the community, the other 10% either don't have anything better or are trying to hype up a not-so-hype champ.



    Her animations are fun to use, but she will always just be an arena pawn. If she had some utility she may have been ok to use.

    If you are asking if Phoenix has changed since her initial release (what I assume that post you quote is from), then no, I don't think she has gotten any buff per say. However, her utility has become more valuable with the addition of heavy countering/intercepting, and she counters certain champions. I started out the post by saying that she is far from the best champion, but its more of a guide to play her well if she happens to be one of the first champions you pull.
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,385 ★★★★
    She was one of my early 4*s, I don’t play her so much nowadays but I might bring her into AQ to have some fun every once in a while.
Sign In or Register to comment.