**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Units for Champs

UnyonfaceUnyonface Posts: 519 ★★★
Really disappointed with spending 750 units and only 2* champs were awarded. There needs to be a better chance at higher champs when spending units....

Comments

• TheVyrusTheVyrus Posts: 418 ★★★
    It will never happen until people stop buying those featured crystals
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    They're fine to try once in a while, but it's not a guaranteed way to earn Champs we want. I spent 750 myself. Bought 2 FGMCs, and a Featured 4*. I pulled 2 3*s from the FGMCs, and a 3* Ann. Already had one. Lol. That's just how it goes.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    TheVyrus said:

It will never happen until people stop buying those featured crystals

Every word after "happen" is redundant here. The fundamental error people keep making is that they assume Kabam is a store and the offers are what they sell and they must give the best possible value with their offers or people won't buy them. This is entirely wrong. Kabam makes a game, and the goal is to sell the least amount of stuff possible for the most amount of money possible to maximize the value of gameplay relative to cash.

All people are different, and you're not going to get everyone to agree on how much value they need in an offer before they decide to buy it. Some people need a lot, some need very little. For a given amount of value in an offer, you'll get some people buying it: the more value, the more people, the less value the less people. There is a value that is as small as possible while still being large enough that a big enough chunk of people will still think that value is good enough and buy it. That's the value that is typically in most offers.

If you set the value higher, more people will buy, and you'd think that would make Kabam more money so it is obvious they should do that. But doing this also devalues the value of time spent playing the game, because the amount of stuff spenders get rises relative to the amount of stuff gameplay gets. The lower gameplay value gets, the less attractive the game becomes to newer and prospective players. You eventually choke off new players, and that's the death of the game.

If people stopped buying, of course Kabam would adjust the offers. But that's never going to happen, because there will always be people that will spend on offers you think are not worth buying, because they disagree. And the entire F2P gaming industry is built on this premise.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited April 2019
    I mean, I'd love for Cartier to lower the price of their Jewellery, but if I walk by the store, it's still going to cost an arm and a leg. Lol.

I mean, I'd love for Cartier to lower the price of their Jewellery, but if I walk by the store, it's still going to cost an arm and a leg. Lol.

Actually, the diamond gemstone industry works on an analogous principle for different, but logically congruent reasons. The goal of the diamond industry is not to sell as many diamonds as possible, or to sell to as many people as possible, or even to make as much money as possible in the short term. The goal is to maximize the value of diamonds, to maintain the long term health of the industry. They could sell vastly more diamonds, and make a lot more money in the short term, but doing so would cause people to perceive that the actual intrinsic value of diamonds was lower compared to alternatives, and that could hurt the demand for diamonds in the long run.

Kabam's monetization strategy (and that of most F2P games that know what they are doing) is to maximize the value of gameplay time relative to cash, by making things cost more cash relative to gameplay. This creates an association in players' heads that X time equals Y cash. And this means every minute playing the game is really earning something of value. And this is the holy grail of F2P gaming: to get players thinking that every minute they spend playing the game is worth something. The general term for locking in player attention, time, and ultimately money, is engagement.

Kabam doesn't want your money, at least not directly. They want your attention. They know that if they go for attention, the money will follow all by itself.
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★

Tried my luck. I’m happy with what I got. Spent 300 units but I think it was worth it. Saved me a grind
  • XxLoganTDCxXXxLoganTDCxX Posts: 2,561 ★★★★
    Don't buy crystals with units unless you are a whale.

Don't buy crystals with units unless you are a whale.

Prior to Act 6, that was my general recommendation. However, I believe if you are an arena grinder and earning units primarily through gameplay, and you're Cavalier, the Cav crystals might be very good value for your accumulated units.