As we continue to work to address ongoing issues regarding Parry and Evade, we will be extending the Week 4 Quest of the Summer of Pain and its Solo Objectives by 1 week to better allow you to complete this content. This will not result in next week's content being delayed.
Champion Spotlight - Ebony Maw
ABOUT EBONY MAW:
A master of manipulation and overall evil genius, Ebony Maw is Thanos’s most trusted lieutenant, never failing him even once. Focusing on his strong telekinetic abilities rather than raw physical strength, Ebony Maw curves and bends the environment around him with ease. Additionally, his superhumanly persuasive voice allows him to sway even the strongest minds.
EBONY MAW’s MECHANICS:
- Lacking raw physical strength, Ebony Maw uses his telekinetic abilities to strike his Opponent, this can make it quite challenging to parry him since only his Light 1 makes contact. Additionally, if given the time to focus on his opponent, Ebony Maw will begin to persuade them causing them to falter and miss attacks. If Ebony Maw is able to fully persuade his opponent, he digs even deeper into their mind and begins deteriorating their mental state completely making him a dangerous foe that can hurt you without a single touch.
BASE STATS & ABILITIES
* All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
||WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 3846
WITH SIGNATURE (99): 4787
||WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 7738
WITH SIGNATURE (200): 10500
Character Class: MYSTIC
Basic Abilities: Degeneration, Nullify, Falter, Power Steal
Opponents that take awhile to ramp up
- Any opponent that take awhile to ramp up will be a good target for Ebony Maw since it gives him the perfect opportunity to persuade them before they’re able to fully ramp up to their full potential.
- Ebony Maw can steal Power Gain buffs by landing a Heavy Attack, making targets such as Hyperion much more manageable. Additionally Ebony Maw’s heavy attack and Special 3 Attack steals some of the opponents power making him a great option for power control.
- Ebony Maw’s Special 1 Attack doesn’t have to hit the opponent to Nullify up to 1 buff. This can be great in dangerous situations such as when the opponent has an Unstoppable Buff.
- Ebony Maw can be extremely dangerous when brought into the right matchup since all guaranteed critical hits will miss instead, say goodnight Corvus.
- Developer Notes: Ebony Maw can be a pretty strong Alliance War Defender, especially when placed on a dangerous node, however, he also brings utility that allows him to dominate in a variety of different matchups, especially long lasting fights where he’s given the opportunity to inflict the opponent with Black Tongue.
Champions with no Buffs
- One of the reasons Ebony Maw is dangerous is because he can nullify Buffs without landing a hit, allowing him to inflict Degeneration without making contact, however, this ability falls short when his opponent has no Buffs to Nullify.
Long Reaching Heavy Attacks
- When knocked down by a Heavy Attack Ebony Maw’s focus is broken, this gives opponents with long reaching Heavy Attacks a huge advantage since they can easily keep his focus broken.
- When suffering from Non-damaging Debuffs Ebony Maw takes double the time to focus. This makes it difficult for him to build persuasion and gives the opponent the opportunity (if played right) to keep his focus broken for the whole fight.
Deteriorations - Passive:
- Deterioration Passives last indefinitely until consumed, each reducing the potency of the Opponent's Fury effects by a flat 5%, stacking up to a maximum of 20 times.
Missions from Thanos
- Ebony Maw has 3 missions to complete. Each mission can only be completed once per fight. Completing all 3 missions in a single fight grants Ebony Maw 1 Persistent Charge, up to a maximum of 6.
- When the fight starts, Ebony Maw inflicts the Opponent with 1 Deterioration Passive for every Persistent Charge.
- Each time Ebony Maw completes a mission, he inflicts the Opponent with a Degeneration Passive, dealing 218.4 damage over 4 seconds.
- Mission 1: Mastermind : Nullify a Buff from the Opponent.
- Mission 2: Manipulator : Cause the Opponent to lose Power.
- Mission 3: Unwavering : Cause the Opponent to Falter and Miss.
- Mission 1: Mastermind : Nullify a Buff from the Opponent.
- If the Opponent doesn’t have Class Advantage, Ebony Maw causes all guaranteed Critical Hits to Miss.
- Ebony Maw’s first Light Attack is the only Basic hit to make contact with the Opponent.
- Landing a Heavy Attack steals all the Opponent’s Power gain Buffs and 10% of their current Power.
- If Ebony Maw isn't focused, he begins focusing on the Opponent’s mind for 5 seconds understanding their mental state. This time is doubled if he's under the effect of 1 or more non-damaging Debuffs.
- Once focused, the Opponent gains 1 Persuasion every 0.7 seconds.
- When struck by the Opponent’s Heavy Attack or Special 3 Attack, Ebony Maw’s focus is broken.
- For every 20 Persuasion the Opponent gains, they are inflicted with a Falter Passive lasting 3 seconds. Increasing to 5 seconds against Cosmics. Enemies inflicted with Falter have a 100% chance to Miss.
- At 100 Persuasion the Opponent is Persuaded and inflicted with a Black Tongue Passive, reducing Power Gain from all sources by 30%. Black Tongue is not affected by Ability Accuracy and lasts for the rest of the fight.
- While Black Tongue is active the Opponent is inflicted with 1 Deterioration Passive every 6 seconds.
When playing against Ebony Maw, falters can be extremely dangerous since missing an attack opens a window for the ai to immediately punish. So paying attention to the amount of persuasion built and carefully and backing off at the right moments will be a life saver.
| SPECIAL 1: Unseen Blades
| SPECIAL 2: Enviromental Manipulation
| SPECIAL 3: Microsurgery Paralysis
| SIGNATURE ABILITY: Deteriorating Mind
LIEUTENANTS OF THE BLACK ORDER - Team Synergy: Corvus Glaive, Cull Obsidian, Proxima Midnight
- All Members of Thanos Army: When the fight starts, gain a Precision Passive increasing Critical Rating by 50% for 20 seconds.
CULL OF THE MAW: Cull Obsidian
- Ebony Maw: Charging a Heavy Attack for 0.5 seconds grants the Opponent an indefinite Fury Buff, increasing their Attack Rating by 0%.
- Cull Obsidian: When 1 or more Thanos’ Favor Buffs expire, gain a Fury Buff granting 10%attack for 10 seconds. Fury Buffs gained in this way will not stack.
ENEMIES LV. 3: Iron Man (Infinity War), Doctor Strange, Hulk (Ragnarok) Spider-Man (Classic)
- All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating
ENEMIES LV. 3: Thor (Ragnarok), Heimdall, Loki
- All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.
- Ebony Maw can Nullify a ton of buffs in a fight allowing him to build power quite rapidly, he’s even able to Nullify buffs from Opponents who don’t use buffs in their base kit by launching two Special 1 Attacks one after the other, or by activating his synergy with Cull Obsidian and charging heavy attacks.
- Throughout the fight Ebony Maw’s Falter effects allow him to more easily avoid incoming attacks making his base health less of a worry since he can avoid a lot of hits, especially when fighting Cosmic Opponents.
- Depending on the matchup Ebony Maw can use his Special 3 Attack for the whole fight, allowing him to completely bypass the damage from recoil while dealing keeping the opponent’s power completely suppressed.
- One of Ebony Maw’s biggest weaknesses are Debuffs, and in particular non-damaging debuffs . Since he has no way to deal with these, having willpower is useful to grant some protection while the effect is active lessening their negative impact.
Post edited by Kabam Vydious on