Champion Spotlight - Ebony Maw

ABOUT EBONY MAW:
A master of manipulation and overall evil genius, Ebony Maw is Thanos’s most trusted lieutenant, never failing him even once. Focusing on his strong telekinetic abilities rather than raw physical strength, Ebony Maw curves and bends the environment around him with ease. Additionally, his superhumanly persuasive voice allows him to sway even the strongest minds.

EBONY MAW’s MECHANICS:
  • Lacking raw physical strength, Ebony Maw uses his telekinetic abilities to strike his Opponent, this can make it quite challenging to parry him since only his Light 1 makes contact. Additionally, if given the time to focus on his opponent, Ebony Maw will begin to persuade them causing them to falter and miss attacks. If Ebony Maw is able to fully persuade his opponent, he digs even deeper into their mind and begins deteriorating their mental state completely making him a dangerous foe that can hurt you without a single touch.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
* All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
HEALTH: 13379
ATTACK: 1092
MAX PI:
WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 3846

WITH SIGNATURE (99): 4787
* All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65, Signature Level 200
HEALTH: 26826
ATTACK: 2189
MAX PI:
WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 7738

WITH SIGNATURE (200): 10500

Character Class: MYSTIC
Basic Abilities: Degeneration, Nullify, Falter, Power Steal

STRENGTHS
Opponents that take awhile to ramp up
  • Any opponent that take awhile to ramp up will be a good target for Ebony Maw since it gives him the perfect opportunity to persuade them before they’re able to fully ramp up to their full potential.
Power Control
  • Ebony Maw can steal Power Gain buffs by landing a Heavy Attack, making targets such as Hyperion much more manageable. Additionally Ebony Maw’s heavy attack and Special 3 Attack steals some of the opponents power making him a great option for power control.
Non-Contact Nullify
  • Ebony Maw’s Special 1 Attack doesn’t have to hit the opponent to Nullify up to 1 buff. This can be great in dangerous situations such as when the opponent has an Unstoppable Buff.
Bypass Guaranteed Critical Hits
  • Ebony Maw can be extremely dangerous when brought into the right matchup since all guaranteed critical hits will miss instead, say goodnight Corvus.
  • Developer Notes: Ebony Maw can be a pretty strong Alliance War Defender, especially when placed on a dangerous node, however, he also brings utility that allows him to dominate in a variety of different matchups, especially long lasting fights where he’s given the opportunity to inflict the opponent with Black Tongue.
WEAKNESSES
Champions with no Buffs
  • One of the reasons Ebony Maw is dangerous is because he can nullify Buffs without landing a hit, allowing him to inflict Degeneration without making contact, however, this ability falls short when his opponent has no Buffs to Nullify.

Long Reaching Heavy Attacks
  • When knocked down by a Heavy Attack Ebony Maw’s focus is broken, this gives opponents with long reaching Heavy Attacks a huge advantage since they can easily keep his focus broken.
Champions who inflict non-damaging Debuffs
  • When suffering from Non-damaging Debuffs Ebony Maw takes double the time to focus. This makes it difficult for him to build persuasion and gives the opponent the opportunity (if played right) to keep his focus broken for the whole fight.
Developer Notes: Ebony Maw is very dangerous when focused, continually breaking his focus is the best strategy to defeating him. Champions with long reaching heavy attacks combined with non-damaging debuffs on their heavy hit are great counters since they will not only break his focus, but double the time it takes for him to focus again.

Kit Abilities:
Deteriorations - Passive:
  • Deterioration Passives last indefinitely until consumed, each reducing the potency of the Opponent's Fury effects by a flat 5%, stacking up to a maximum of 20 times.
Developer Notes: Reaching the maximum deterioration cap will allow Ebony Maw to completely 0 out all Fury Buffs on the opponent. This is extremely valuable against Champions who rely on Fury for their damage.

Missions from Thanos
  • Ebony Maw has 3 missions to complete. Each mission can only be completed once per fight. Completing all 3 missions in a single fight grants Ebony Maw 1 Persistent Charge, up to a maximum of 6.
  • When the fight starts, Ebony Maw inflicts the Opponent with 1 Deterioration Passive for every Persistent Charge.
  • Each time Ebony Maw completes a mission, he inflicts the Opponent with a Degeneration Passive, dealing 218.4 damage over 4 seconds.
    • Mission 1: Mastermind : Nullify a Buff from the Opponent.
    • Mission 2: Manipulator : Cause the Opponent to lose Power.
    • Mission 3: Unwavering : Cause the Opponent to Falter and Miss.
PASSIVES:
  • If the Opponent doesn’t have Class Advantage, Ebony Maw causes all guaranteed Critical Hits to Miss.
  • Ebony Maw’s first Light Attack is the only Basic hit to make contact with the Opponent.
HEAVY ATTACKS:
  • Landing a Heavy Attack steals all the Opponent’s Power gain Buffs and 10% of their current Power.
PERSUASIVE VOICE:
  • If Ebony Maw isn't focused, he begins focusing on the Opponent’s mind for 5 seconds understanding their mental state. This time is doubled if he's under the effect of 1 or more non-damaging Debuffs.
  • Once focused, the Opponent gains 1 Persuasion every 0.7 seconds.
  • When struck by the Opponent’s Heavy Attack or Special 3 Attack, Ebony Maw’s focus is broken.
  • For every 20 Persuasion the Opponent gains, they are inflicted with a Falter Passive lasting 3 seconds. Increasing to 5 seconds against Cosmics. Enemies inflicted with Falter have a 100% chance to Miss.
  • At 100 Persuasion the Opponent is Persuaded and inflicted with a Black Tongue Passive, reducing Power Gain from all sources by 30%. Black Tongue is not affected by Ability Accuracy and lasts for the rest of the fight.
  • While Black Tongue is active the Opponent is inflicted with 1 Deterioration Passive every 6 seconds.
Developer Notes: When playing as Ebony Maw Falter can be useful to completely bypass chip damage or the Opponent’s special attacks if timed correctly. This is also a great opportunity to land Heavy Attacks and steal power since the opponent can’t immediately punish a heavy charge.

When playing against Ebony Maw, falters can be extremely dangerous since missing an attack opens a window for the ai to immediately punish. So paying attention to the amount of persuasion built and carefully and backing off at the right moments will be a life saver.

SPECIAL ATTACKS

SPECIAL 1: Unseen Blades
  • Ebony Maw forms sharp blades from the objects in his vicinity, slashing the opponent with multiple strikes.
  • When activated and with each hit, Ebony Maw Nullifies 1 Fury, Cruelty, or Precision Buff from his Opponent. This expands to all Buffs if the Opponent is inflicted with Black Tongue.
  • If no Buffs were Nullified during this attack, the Opponent gains a Fury Buff increasing their Attack Rating by 0 for 6 seconds.
Developer Notes: Ebony Maw’s ability to Nullify immediately without landing a hit can be extremely dangerous since it will target the precision buff granted from a successful dex.

SPECIAL 2: Enviromental Manipulation
  • Ebony Maw manipulates the ground beneath his opponent, knocking them back and forming spikes from nearby debris to hurl at them.
  • Inflicts the Opponent with a Degeneration Passive, dealing 218.4 damage over 4 seconds.

SPECIAL 3: Microsurgery Paralysis
  • Ebony Maw uses his telekinetic abilities to lift his opponent into the air drawing them closer before impaling them with microsurgery needles.
  • Ebony Maw reaches into his Opponent’s mind depleting all their current Power, gaining 35% of the Power depleted for himself over the next 4 seconds.

SIGNATURE ABILITY: Deteriorating Mind
  • When the Opponent Misses an attack they are inflicted with a Degeneration Passive, dealing 218.4 damage over 4 seconds.
  • Each time Ebony Maw Nullifies a Buff or Activates a Special Attack he places 1 Deterioration Passive on his Opponent.
  • When Ebony Maw inflicts his Opponent with a Degeneration, all Deterioration Passives are consumed, each adding 218.54 damage to the Degeneration.
Developer Notes:The damage added by each Deterioration seems small, but keep in mind these can stack up to 20 and once the opponent has been inflicted with Black Tongue will stack up even faster allowing Ebony Maw to output some decent damage here. Additionally, while fighting an opponent with a lot of Buffs, Ebony Maw can build these Passives at an alarming rate since his Special 1 Attack can nullify up to 4 Buffs from the opponent.

SYNERGY BONUSES

LIEUTENANTS OF THE BLACK ORDER - Team Synergy: Corvus Glaive, Cull Obsidian, Proxima Midnight
  • All Members of Thanos Army: When the fight starts, gain a Precision Passive increasing Critical Rating by 50% for 20 seconds.

CULL OF THE MAW: Cull Obsidian
  • Ebony Maw: Charging a Heavy Attack for 0.5 seconds grants the Opponent an indefinite Fury Buff, increasing their Attack Rating by 0%.
  • Cull Obsidian: When 1 or more Thanos’ Favor Buffs expire, gain a Fury Buff granting 10%attack for 10 seconds. Fury Buffs gained in this way will not stack.

ENEMIES LV. 3: Iron Man (Infinity War), Doctor Strange, Hulk (Ragnarok) Spider-Man (Classic)
  • All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating

ENEMIES LV. 3: Thor (Ragnarok), Heimdall, Loki
  • All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Mystic Dispersion
  • Ebony Maw can Nullify a ton of buffs in a fight allowing him to build power quite rapidly, he’s even able to Nullify buffs from Opponents who don’t use buffs in their base kit by launching two Special 1 Attacks one after the other, or by activating his synergy with Cull Obsidian and charging heavy attacks.
Glass Cannon
  • Throughout the fight Ebony Maw’s Falter effects allow him to more easily avoid incoming attacks making his base health less of a worry since he can avoid a lot of hits, especially when fighting Cosmic Opponents.
Recoil
  • Depending on the matchup Ebony Maw can use his Special 3 Attack for the whole fight, allowing him to completely bypass the damage from recoil while dealing keeping the opponent’s power completely suppressed.
Willpower
  • One of Ebony Maw’s biggest weaknesses are Debuffs, and in particular non-damaging debuffs . Since he has no way to deal with these, having willpower is useful to grant some protection while the effect is active lessening their negative impact.
Post edited by Kabam Vydious on

Comments

• V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,175 ★★★★★
    He seems very unimpressive. I just don’t know why I would use him except for synergies maybe. Even on defense he doesn’t seem very threatening.
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 832 ★★★
    Watched the youtube videos and he's super weak for offense. Might do okay on defense but I dunno. Really not impressed.
  • will-o-wispwill-o-wisp Posts: 6,542 ★★★★★
    I assume Corvus is just there to trigger the synergy for Maw?
  • EthanGamerEthanGamer Posts: 52
    He seems great awakened because the deteriorations increase seven damage. He has great utility and counters Hyperion in every way except his debuffs. Against characters with no buffs the Cull obsidian synergy applies a permanent one to them making it easy to nullify. He looks incredible on defense because of the falter passives.
  • Ctleath_013Ctleath_013 Posts: 337
    Everybody is talking about how he isn’t very impressive. It is probably for the best since we just got Cull Obsidian.
  • Tasty_Yum_YumsTasty_Yum_Yums Posts: 393
    Recoil is a good mastery for Maw? Really? How does that mastery benefit him over any other champ?
  • PoolPool Posts: 89
    Why don't developers add strengths and weaknesses anymore?
  • MabkaZuckMabkaZuck Posts: 67
    edited May 21
    Gulk can easily kill him..
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 658 ★★★
    Any science champ can lol
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 1,769 ★★★

EBONY MAW’s MECHANICS:

• Lacking raw physical strength, Ebony Maw uses his telekinetic abilities to strike his Opponent, this can make it quite challenging to parry him since only his Light 1 makes contact. Additionally, if given the time to focus on his opponent, Ebony Maw will begin to persuade them causing them to falter and miss attacks. If Ebony Maw is able to fully persuade his opponent, he digs even deeper into their mind and begins deteriorating their mental state completely making him a dangerous foe that can hurt you without a single touch.
    PERSUASIVE VOICE:
    • If Ebony Maw isn't focused, he begins focusing on the Opponent’s mind for 5 seconds understanding their mental state. This time is doubled if he's under the effect of 1 or more non-damaging Debuffs.
    • Once focused, the Opponent gains 1 Persuasion every 0.7 seconds.
    • For every 20 Persuasion the Opponent gains, they are inflicted with a Falter Passive lasting 3 seconds. Increasing to 5 seconds against Cosmics. Enemies inflicted with Falter have a 100% chance to Miss

How does this stack up against Nick Fury's ability (with five or more tactical charges) to never miss? If he's got the charges, can Nick basically ignore Falter?
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 1,769 ★★★

Bypass Guaranteed Critical Hits

• Ebony Maw can be extremely dangerous when brought into the right matchup since all guaranteed critical hits will miss instead - say goodnight Corvus.

PASSIVES:
    • If the Opponent doesn’t have Class Advantage, Ebony Maw causes all guaranteed Critical Hits to Miss.
    It's not a common issue, but could you possibly check with the developers: Is this really coded with regard to 'Class Advantage', or is it simply coded for 'Science champions'?

Two scenarios:
    • How about Maestro, and other champions from the Infinity or Superior class (or whatever it's called)?
    • Is this relationship affected by 'Role Reversal' nodes?
    Thanks.
  • PlayerzedPlayerzed Posts: 2
    Hi. Can anyone explain the deterioration degen stack? Is the added damage of the sig ability per tick or total?
  • ForwardForward Posts: 28
    I was lucky enough to pull and dupe Maw as a 5* from the offer yesterday. Unfortunately he seems like a really poor character and only slightly useable as a defender. It seems like the values for his attack and the degen seems to be off. For as much as it takes with buildup for the degen, it's just so so weak.

I'll rank him to 3/45 soon but I'm pretty soon that's as far as he'll be going without any changes to him. It's really disappointing
  • Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 832 ★★★
    Forward said:

I was lucky enough to pull and dupe Maw as a 5* from the offer yesterday. Unfortunately he seems like a really poor character and only slightly useable as a defender. It seems like the values for his attack and the degen seems to be off. For as much as it takes with buildup for the degen, it's just so so weak.

I'll rank him to 3/45 soon but I'm pretty soon that's as far as he'll be going without any changes to him. It's really disappointing

If you could make any videos that be great to see. If not just share your feedback Thanks!
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 440 ★★
    Hamin said:

Ok, trying again with less wit and profanity.

Please explain... in a mathematical sense... How you can add 50% crit rating to a guaranteed crit?

I'm curious how this math is supposed to work.

Pretty sure you can't, unless it affects glancing. It's not like Corvus needs a buff though, so it's more for the other synergy members
  • NikneymsizNikneymsiz Posts: 2
    The legend in the film is a garbage that has nothing to do with ebony maw
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 17,704 ★★★★★
    Hamin said:

Please explain... in a mathematical sense... How you can add 50% crit rating to a guaranteed crit?

I believe it's the amount of Crit, not Crit Chance.

Hamin said:

All Members of Thanos Army: When the fight starts, gain a Precision Passive increasing Critical Rating by 50% for 20 seconds.

Nope it’s definitely crit chance.
    V1PER1987 said:

Hamin said:

All Members of Thanos Army: When the fight starts, gain a Precision Passive increasing Critical Rating by 50% for 20 seconds.

Nope it’s definitely crit chance.
    Common confusion. Perhaps you're right. I suppose in the case of Corvus, it does nothing.
    As to why he's included, he's a member of the Black Order, would be my guess.

Most likely. I’m also not sure if you need all members of the Black Order to trigger the synergy or just Maw and one other.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,351 ★★★★

Then why not give him a different synergy like they do with others?
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 440 ★★
    Hamin said:

Because he’s already good enough?
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,615 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

A suggestion: if champions are going to continue to have multi-page descriptions, it would be helpful if the game team could supply video along with the description showing how the champ is meant to work.

Also, it would alleviate some of the inevitable furor when summoners push/spend hard for a champ only to find out there were some nuances that weren’t fully fleshed out in the description.

Finally, this would have the added advantage of helping out with bug identification before champs are released.

Dr. Zola

This
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 1,130 ★★★
    Hamin said:

It's so that corvus can give maw the crit boost not the other way around
    Hamin said:

It's a Black Order Synergy I suppose. Same Synergy for all of them. Wouldn't make sense to give a separate one just for him.
  • J0NisCOOLJ0NisCOOL Posts: 82
    I haven’t got my hands on him yet, but I’ve seen a lot of footage. It simply seems his numbers are wrong. His base attack seems too low and his degen doesn’t compliment him well damage wise. It’s defintely a good idea similar to void, low base attack with lot of debuff damage and utility, but falling a bit short.

I guess in the right match up he can be useful, but why use Maw where you can use someone like Voodoo who can nullify all the buffs and do extra damage on top of it. A small tweek in his sig ability and base attack can fix him, however, as of right now it’s a sad first impression.
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 2,590 ★★★★★
    Hamin said:

You can add 50% to 100% and make it 150% ... basic maths mate.