**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Request for explanation on Offensive vs Defensive Ability Accuracy

Is there a clear definition from kabam on what abilities are classified as offensive and defensive abilities when considering offensive and defensive ability accuracy reduction?

Comments

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    IDK if Kabam has ever explained/defined it but it’s easily intuited. It also might be lost to the old forums.

Ability accuracy is a champions chance to trigger an effect. Offensive Ability Accuracy is a champion’s chance to trigger effects when striking an opponent and Defensive Ability Accuracy is a champion’s chance to trigger effects when struck.

Another way of saying this is similar to how BW’s sig ability is described as, when striking an opponent she reduces the chance to trigger their abilities.
    edited October 2019
    To illustrate this I made a couple gifs.

Gulk fails his signature ability both offensively and defensively depending on the action taken causing it to proc.

Proxima using OAAR to fail his ability while being attacked and proccing it when attacking.

Black Widow using DAAR to fail his ability when attacking and proccing it when attacked.

If you want to fool around with a video
    https://youtu.be/M8tFCZMv8Zg
  • arni2arni2 Posts: 362 ★★
    Thing unstoppable, offensive of defensive?
    edited October 2019
    arni2 said:

It’s an ability. Whether or not it’s subject to Offensive Ability accuracy or Defensive Ability Accuracy depends on the action taken when it triggers.
  • arni2arni2 Posts: 362 ★★

arni2 said:

It’s an ability. Whether or not it’s subject to Offensive Ability accuracy or Defensive Ability Accuracy depends on the action taken when it triggers.
    Domino crit fail when she attacking me for example, seems like offensive, but it's her defensive ability I guess

All Asked is some clarification from Dev team so everyone will know what to expect.
    edited October 2019
    arni2 said:

arni2 said:

Domino crit fail when she attacking me for example, seems like offensive, but it's her defensive ability I guess

All Asked is some clarification from Dev team so everyone will know what to expect.
    Crit failure is an ability, oaar or daar will prevent it depending on the action taken that triggered the crit fail.

If the action is her hitting you that caused it then Offensive Ability Accuracy would prevent it from triggering.

Ironman’s arc overload. Offensive? Defensive?
    Neither, it’s an ability and the action taken at the time it triggers determines if Offensive or Defensive Ability Accuracy prevents it.

Here is an awakened Gwenpool with over a 50 hit combo reducing her opponent’s DAAR by 100% yet Ironman still triggers arc overload because she did not hit him to bring him over the threshold to trigger it.

Marri_2 said:

Champions have abilities some (most) are subject to having their ability’s chance to trigger reduced.

Offensive Ability Accuracy Reduction reduces the chance for the opponent to trigger abilities while striking/attacking.

Defensive Ability Accuracy Reduction reduces the chance for the opponent to trigger their abilities when struck/attacked.

Ability Accuracy Reduction reduces the chance to trigger abilities independent of action.

There are not defensive/offensive abilities it is simply when struck or when striking, the opponents Ability Accuracy is reduced by the respective form of AAR.

In the case of the updated Warlock he will reduce the opponents chance to trigger their abilities when they are hitting him; OAAR and not while he is hitting the opponent; DAAR (or overall AAR which may have been what was actually happening).

I’m still waiting for someone to prove this wrong rather than disagree with it. Ostrich much?

*I’ll even help you out, show me one ability failing to proc due to DAAR while not being hit.

I do think that effects such as masochism, which trigger from effects rather than attacks, are neither in the OAA or DAA category. For example, a max sig Antman's glance does not disable the masochism trigger from a parry, even though OAAR = 100% when glancing. I don't know if there's a champ that can get 100% DAAR and inflict debuffs, so that test is impossible.

I would hypothesize that those abilities are just abilities and therefore not subject to either DAAR nor OAAR. Champs that manage to bypass these mechanics have AAR, which covers all forms of abilities.
    This is reposted from another thread that got locked but is relevant to OAAR/DAAR.

@Marri_2
    There are no defensively or offensively classed abilities, they are simply abilities and the action taken when they trigger determines if OAAR/DAAR affects them; even those imparted by nodes like Masochism. If subject to Ability Accuracy Reduction they are affected by Defensive Ability Accuracy Reduction when being struck or inversely Offensive Ability Accuracy Reduction when striking. Any ability (subject to AAR) can be affected by OAAR/DAAR if it triggers when striking/struck.

Ant-Man’s glancing does prevent Masochism from triggering when he parries (evidenced in the video under the spoiler of this post).

There is a champion who has -100% DAAR and inflicts Debuffs, Gwenpool who prevents Masochism from triggering when inflicting a Debuff while striking (and not when inflicting a Debuff as the result of her defensive action; parry stun).

Video of Ant-Man and Gwenpool interacting with Masochism.

To reiterate, while some abilities (evade, bleed on hit) may only trigger during an offensive or defensive action they are not classed as such, they are simply abilities and subject to OAAR/DAAR when striking/struck.
  • What about Ghost’s phasing and passive crits from it? Sparky’s Poise? Sabretooth Idling to convert his fury buffs? What about champs that hold block to activate abilities? Does it change if they’re being attacked by someone with DAAR?