**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

OMG LOL I see what you did with Silver Surfer, Kabam

ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
Hey, folks!

I can read, and I see that a number of folks are less than thrilled with the release of the Silver Surfer.

I am not going to try to shout down anybody else. People are entitled to their opinions, and I am way too blunt for the boards, even when I am trying to be nice.

But for those who care and know or remember, I really enjoy testing characters. If I get them in the early access bundles or first day of release through crystals, I test them as best I know how.

I think my track record with this stuff is decent; I tried to tell people early that Cap IW and Omega Red were game-changers and Iron Man IW was sneaky-elite, but that people wouldn't necessarily appreciate his DPS at first.

With that preamble: I was lucky enough to snag the Surfer today.

So if you trust my opinion on these things, take this for what it's worth:

Silver Surfer is a beast...but the rotation is tight as hell. The DPS is there, for those of you who live for that. But it's not like Black Dwarf or Captain Marvel Movie with the quick burst and it's done.

It's more like Symbiote Supreme's unlock for the massive bleed, combined with the sustainabilty of Archangel's bleed/poison/neurotoxin.

You just melt people with energy damage.

It's not hidden, either.

You just have to slow down and actually read the Character Spotlight and understand how his buffs work, INCLUDING HOW TO REFRESH THEM.

The Power Rate buff is the key. There's a reason why it's half as long as the other two: for the ability to refresh.

It's right there, folks.

My Silver Surfer is currently at 3/45.

As soon as I scrape together some gold, he goes to R4. Like, tomorrow.

Just sayin'. The DPS is there. Kabam was just sneaky about it.

Don't say no one ever told you!

Comments

• Options

Got him as a 5 last week and a 4 today. I am totally biased as he’s my favourite character, but yes, I’ve been trying with teams, arena, minor quests. I’ve totally enjoyed playing him

I am glad to hear it! I think he's pretty fun to play
  • Options
    RoninMan said:

Well, these videos are telling me otherwise:
    https://youtu.be/R-G3NB2_DAk
    https://youtu.be/6Q5vXrfoBmk

Mind you, this is probably with the best rotation you can possibly do.

First off, it’s the same guy, and he has suicides. SS is NOT suicide friendly. Secondly his damage output is not that bad considering what little you need to do to set it up. 1 L1 to get 2 fury buffs is one of the easiest setups you can do. Also he has a lot of utility so the damage output for having solid utility as well is respectable. I’m not sure what people were expecting from him but he’s a solid champ. He’s not top tier but he’s solid and fairly easy to pick up and play.
    I am never sure what people think damage output is supposed to look like on a character like this. He kills things pretty freaking quickly, IMO, once he starts rolling

His phase mechanic and Armor Up provide tremendous utility -- the damage mitigation is pretty stout

But like I said: I do believe people can disagree about characters and their kits. He does the kind of damage I am comfortable with, and I know nobody cares about my account overall, so it doesn't matter to anyone who I play with the most if they don't like them
  • Options

Make this man a Content creator if he's not, will definitely be better than most CCP Youtubers out there

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate you taking the time to read
  • Options
    Texas_11 said:

ESF said:

Hey, folks!

I can read, and I see that a number of folks are less than thrilled with the release of the Silver Surfer.

I am not going to try to shout down anybody else. People are entitled to their opinions, and I am way too blunt for the boards, even when I am trying to be nice.

But for those who care and know or remember, I really enjoy testing characters. If I get them in the early access bundles or first day of release through crystals, I test them as best I know how.

I think my track record with this stuff is decent; I tried to tell people early that Cap IW and Omega Red were game-changers and Iron Man IW was sneaky-elite, but that people wouldn't necessarily appreciate his DPS at first.

With that preamble: I was lucky enough to snag the Surfer today.

So if you trust my opinion on these things, take this for what it's worth:

Silver Surfer is a beast...but the rotation is tight as hell. The DPS is there, for those of you who live for that. But it's not like Black Dwarf or Captain Marvel Movie with the quick burst and it's done.

It's more like Symbiote Supreme's unlock for the massive bleed, combined with the sustainabilty of Archangel's bleed/poison/neurotoxin.

You just melt people with energy damage.

It's not hidden, either.

You just have to slow down and actually read the Character Spotlight and understand how his buffs work, INCLUDING HOW TO REFRESH THEM.

The Power Rate buff is the key. There's a reason why it's half as long as the other two: for the ability to refresh.

It's right there, folks.

My Silver Surfer is currently at 3/45.

As soon as I scrape together some gold, he goes to R4. Like, tomorrow.

Just sayin'. The DPS is there. Kabam was just sneaky about it.

Don't say no one ever told you!

The game needs you
    If you're being serious, thanks! If you're being sarcastic, that is fine, too. No worries
  • Options

Become a CC man you sound like you actually learn the champ other than these youtubers who clearly usually don’t know what there doing.

First of all, thanks. I appreciate that. I don't watch many of the videos because I try to learn the characters and how they work, but I totally understand why people do watch them. I miss stuff all the time and I never mind admitting if/when I do
  • Options
    One thing I like to do is offer a thought or two after I offer an opinion about characters with a "realistic tweak" that could make the character better, but not OP, that could also make some people feel better about the character.

Here's this edition:

1. People are pretty salty about the Surfer's lack of bleed immunity. I think one way to address that would be a mechanic that allows him to purge debuffs at the cost of three active buffs. If the Surfer doesn't have buffs active, he sustains the damage -- which makes the character have weaknesses that allow him to function in a game. If he purges the debuffs, that means he loses DPS, which means that is the tradeoff for the player.

2. His signature ability could be improved by this addition: Every 67 signature levels, he gains 1 more second of Armor Break duration. So at sig 134, it's 2 seconds, and at sig 200, it's 3 seconds more. The sig levels in between give little boosts in duration based on math. The player benefits by more DPS, and Kabam sees a character who people will want to put sig stones into.

Just my thoughts
  • Options
    Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

Here's the rotation, for those who have interest:

1. Do NOT enable the Power Rate buff first, even though it's first in the cycle.

2. Cycle all the way through and enable the Armor Up buff first -- it's significant protection. Then cycle through the Power Rate buff again and enable the Fury buff.

3. Patience, grasshopper. You are now almost cooking with gas

4. Now enable your Power Rate buff. This will refresh your Armor Up and Fury buffs. Refresh by enabling the Power Rate buff as necessary -- but do not enable two Power Rate buffs at the same time. If you do, it doesn't refresh the other buffs.

5. Then, with at least three buffs active, the first special you pop is the L3. This activates the Aptitude buff and refreshes all other buffs.

6. Continue fighting and enabling/refreshing buffs until you can fire off L2s and L3s. I was pretty reliably maintaining two Armor Ups and Furies.

7. I never use the L1.

8. Melt your opponent.

That's it!

Any videos? I mean the cycle would be great if opponents played the exact same every match and were all aggressive. The problem is most of the time you don't get the perfect AI to play against so you end up losing your buffs and starting all over again. It's just not fun to play and really limits his usability. He's really just a prestige champ as he'll never see my starting roster which is quite beefy. I do enjoy your feedback and comments though so don't take this as a negative on you it's just in theory he could be great but instead he's just an above average champ in most scenarios.
  • Options

I don't think he's a beast. He still has far to go for that.
    More like a spoon. Useful but not life changing.

No worries -- I understand he might not be for everyone. There are characters out there who are not my preference, so I get it
  • Options
    Zuko_ILC said:

ESF said:

Here's the rotation, for those who have interest:

1. Do NOT enable the Power Rate buff first, even though it's first in the cycle.

2. Cycle all the way through and enable the Armor Up buff first -- it's significant protection. Then cycle through the Power Rate buff again and enable the Fury buff.

3. Patience, grasshopper. You are now almost cooking with gas

4. Now enable your Power Rate buff. This will refresh your Armor Up and Fury buffs. Refresh by enabling the Power Rate buff as necessary -- but do not enable two Power Rate buffs at the same time. If you do, it doesn't refresh the other buffs.

5. Then, with at least three buffs active, the first special you pop is the L3. This activates the Aptitude buff and refreshes all other buffs.

6. Continue fighting and enabling/refreshing buffs until you can fire off L2s and L3s. I was pretty reliably maintaining two Armor Ups and Furies.

7. I never use the L1.

8. Melt your opponent.

That's it!

Any videos? I mean the cycle would be great if opponents played the exact same every match and were all aggressive. The problem is most of the time you don't get the perfect AI to play against so you end up losing your buffs and starting all over again. It's just not fun to play and really limits his usability. He's really just a prestige champ as he'll never see my starting roster which is quite beefy. I do enjoy your feedback and comments though so don't take this as a negative on you it's just in theory he could be great but instead he's just an above average champ in most scenarios.
    Thanks! Sometimes, you do have to adjust to the AI -- it's better if you don't let yourself get backed into a corner in order to maintain the rotation. That's true.

I took him to R4 and plan to use him a lot, but like I said, I am a solo player, so I don't hurt anyone when I main a character who isn't a Corvus Glaive or Ghost
  • Options
    Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    After doing some reading.

He can become unblockable and phased the entire fight. The key is to dex and heavy then fire SP2 without activating your Power cosmic buff.

Key is to let the power gains keep falling off then then reactivating to keep all the buffs going.

I don’t have a surfer, but his potential is crazy.
  • Options
    DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,568 ★★★★
    Can you create a video? Some find it more understanding to see it instead of reading text
  • Options
    bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    So far this year, I am able to see which champ is good and never been wrong yet. I see Surfer as a **** champ. Average. So I will trust my judgement
  • Options
    NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,912 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

Become a CC man you sound like you actually learn the champ other than these youtubers who clearly usually don’t know what there doing.

First of all, thanks. I appreciate that. I don't watch many of the videos because I try to learn the characters and how they work, but I totally understand why people do watch them. I miss stuff all the time and I never mind admitting if/when I do
    I don’t watch them either it’s a waste of time imo, I like to learn the champ and it works for me.
  • Options

So far this year, I am able to see which champ is good and never been wrong yet. I see Surfer as a **** champ. Average. So I will trust my judgement

I don't think anyone is telling you to not trust your judgment. But what's your definition of average? Who else is average right alongside, so we understand how you are defining it?
  • Options
    Daddrieda said:

Can you create a video? Some find it more understanding to see it instead of reading text

Sorry, man -- I am old and don't have that kind of tech know-how. I just kinda play the games. But you can look my profile up in-game, same name, and see that I did take him to R4 like I said, so I wasn't bluffing
  • Options
    Kenny292Kenny292 Posts: 536 ★★

Haven’t played him but trust this man everyone. He was literally the only poster to be singing the praises of CAIW when he was released while everyone else was calling him a mediocre champ.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t have Silver Surfer, so I don’t have an opinion on him myself, but I trust ESF’s opinion. A little over a year ago, I pulled CAIW and knew nothing about him. When I pull a champ I don’t know much about, I watch youtube videos and look for posts on the forum/reddit about that champion. Most of what I found didn’t seem like he was that great of a champ, but a forum post by ESF and another post on reddit were convincing enough for me to take the chance and make him my 3rd 5/65 and awaken/max sig him. No regrets at all. He immediately helped me finish 100% V1 and has been used a ton for everything since.
  • Options
    RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★
    Daddrieda said:

What kind of video are you looking for? Are you looking for any specific fights or modes?
  • Options
    DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,568 ★★★★
    RoninMan said:

Daddrieda said:

What kind of video are you looking for? Are you looking for any specific fights or modes?
    Oh dear. I wasn’t really clear. There are people that simply can’t or won’t underatand a thing by reading or listening something that seems hard to understand, but being shown in a video simplifying things mainly it’s being shown how it’s done ^_^
  • Options
    RoninManRoninMan Posts: 747 ★★★★
    Daddrieda said:

RoninMan said:

Daddrieda said:

Oh dear. I wasn’t really clear. There are people that simply can’t or won’t underatand a thing by reading or listening something that seems hard to understand, but being shown in a video simplifying things mainly it’s being shown how it’s done ^_^
    Ah ok I got it. I will try to do my best to create something soon.