Cull Obsidian Rebalance Information

Comments

• Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 4,136 ★★★★★

-> States that they still want Cull to be the highest damage dealing champ in the game

-> Refuses to compare him to Corvus/Ghost as, and I quote, "those Champions are already doing too much Damage" - "we're not out here to make more Champions that are as game breaking as those two"

So lemme see, you expect a lacking utility champ with high damage and low block proficiency to be viable in the game? Lucky for me I guess, I still got bits of act 3 to explore.

What you don't seem to understand is that they've tested his dps, not his average hit count. What good would it have done to compare his dps against rol ws to corvus? Corvus would have horrendous dps according to that graphic.

And ghost? With her you spend a lot of time phasing around. Yes, she hits incredibly hard, but her dps would not look as ridiculous as you seemingly assume.

Dps =/= hits needes =/= peak damage output

Ghost has some of the highest DPS in a lot of Act 6 and AWO.
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 875 ★★★

-> States that they still want Cull to be the highest damage dealing champ in the game

-> Refuses to compare him to Corvus/Ghost as, and I quote, "those Champions are already doing too much Damage" - "we're not out here to make more Champions that are as game breaking as those two"

So lemme see, you expect a lacking utility champ with high damage and low block proficiency to be viable in the game? Lucky for me I guess, I still got bits of act 3 to explore.

What you don't seem to understand is that they've tested his dps, not his average hit count. What good would it have done to compare his dps against rol ws to corvus? Corvus would have horrendous dps according to that graphic.

And ghost? With her you spend a lot of time phasing around. Yes, she hits incredibly hard, but her dps would not look as ridiculous as you seemingly assume.

Are you saying that CapIW, Hyperion and Ronin have a more representative DPS than Corvus, Ghost and CMM
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 8,823 ★★★★★
    Billie said:

Trust is the biggest issue moving forward.

You basically advertise a car that goes 200 mph. You then sell lottery tickets to get a 1% chance to get that car. A bunch of people buy lottery tickets, only a few get the car (including me). Then, almost a year later, you say that 200 mph is too fast and say it should only go up to 100 or 150 mph. You offer to reimburse the gas that was put in during the time I used the car but what about all of the units that people spent to get the car that they wouldn’t have used if you had advertised a slower car. You can say that it’s still a fast car but it’s still not as fast as what you sold us. It’s nice to reimburse resources but doesn’t it feel wrong to profit over this?

I don’t see myself buying any more packages or units because any champ that has any god tier potential will obviously be nerf in 6 months.

Also, comparing Cull to champs that do not need to ramp up and then using him with at 10 buffs is unfair. Not taking into account the value of other abilities/immunities is also cherry picking.

But I do appreciate all the info.

Except you didn't buy a car. You opened a digital crystal with a digital champ in it and you don't own it. You own the car, you don't own Cull, other champs in your roster or your entire profile. You agreed to the ToS when starting your profile. It clearly states they have reserved the right to make changes when they see they are needed. Any form of compensation is up to Kabam and they don't even have to do that.

Stop comparing these changes to real world materials. Those things you ACTUAL OWN. You dont own anything in this game.
  • NOOOOOOOOPEEEEENOOOOOOOOPEEEEE Posts: 2,526 ★★★★
    Give it a week and everybody will be over this
  • AlphaBeta72AlphaBeta72 Posts: 27
    Zuko_ILC said:

You tested Cull in ROL versus Venom and Ronin???? Is this a joke? This is what you share with the community as a proof for destroying the champ? Have you even consider testing him against Corvus or Ghost or new Capt. Marvel? These champions are dominating wars, aq and several variant events and you close your eyes. Can you give us one example of use of Cull in wars at high tiers like tier 1 or 2? I’ve never seen anyone using Cull as an attacker in wars at high tiers. He can be used in map6 if and only if he starts section 1 at path 7 or 8, otherwise he is useless there too. So, instead of throwing irrelevant stats tell us how Cull is compared against Ghost or Corvus or Marvel which are doing huge amounts of damage from their very first fights and they are able to use their abilities several times per fight.

Ramped up Cull ends fights way too fast. He really is overpowered. With the increase in health from level 4 and level 5 health potions he is still viable in harder content. I do think his block proficiency should be increased and think it really should be a consideration as feedback from the player base. I don't think it is asking to much to raise block proficiency by 3% as a trade off for loss of attack power. When they announced this they did say they would listen to feedback. Hopefully they do and don't just stick to their rebalances without careful consideration after players are tested out for the 2 week period. With that said I'm waiting to test out and will report back when I do with the hope that they listen to player feedback. Charts and everything were very good and helpful but I do think some of it is misleading by leaving out certain characters for comparison reasons. If you are talking about top damage dealers they should be compared to the top 5-10 in the game only.

Those are my thoughts, don't think any of the changes are too crazy so my initial reaction is a wait and see approach as should everyone elses.
    Everyone knows that his block proficiency is low, even considering the fact that he holds an enormous shield his block is ridiculously low. However, even with this kind of ‘unbalance’, Cull is still useful in some content as I explained excluding wars and many of the variant events. What I’d like to point out is that by comparing Cull against venom and Ronin in such a poor contest like ROL is misleading. It is at least hypocritical for Kabam to close their eyes on Corvus, the most dominating champ in the contest in all context, and at the same time to kill a champ with limited usability. Cull has low block proficiency, he has zero immunities, he is useless against debuff or stun immune nodes, needs at least 5 charges and 3 armor breaks to start hitting above average. On the other side Corvus has full immunities and he is able to finish most of the fights in 20 hits. Congrats KABAM you rebalanced the contest!!
  • mbracembrace Posts: 292
    Dart1981 said:

Whilst I agree the changes are not drastic, this does not actually balance Cull at all. Balancing him would make him more useable in more content. Presently he is not because he loses health far too quickly due to his very poor block proficiency. Since you have reduced his overall ability to do damage but not increased his survivability even less players are likely to use him going forward. The block damage taken in act 5 and 6 regardless of the increase chance to armour break is too substantial to warrant ever using him.

This, and let me add that I already was finding Cull as an unlikely choice over other top tier champions. This change will ensure that most of us never use him at all, because the changes hardly impact his initial damage during ramp up. He just went from pretty good to decent (as compared to maybe King Groot). He already had a “burst and lull” type DPS, because you’d be waiting a while for the next route buff if you didn’t attack aggressively when it was up. I found this annoying to begin with, and it was just greatly amplified by the fury duration nerf. All of this makes me REALLY sad that I brought the 5* to rank 4, wasted a cosmic AG, and wasted 199 sig stones on him. On the bright side, at least I didn’t R5 him.

One other point, what end-game content did anyone ever find him useful for anyway? Daily quests?

Zuko_ILC said:

You tested Cull in ROL versus Venom and Ronin???? Is this a joke? This is what you share with the community as a proof for destroying the champ? Have you even consider testing him against Corvus or Ghost or new Capt. Marvel? These champions are dominating wars, aq and several variant events and you close your eyes. Can you give us one example of use of Cull in wars at high tiers like tier 1 or 2? I’ve never seen anyone using Cull as an attacker in wars at high tiers. He can be used in map6 if and only if he starts section 1 at path 7 or 8, otherwise he is useless there too. So, instead of throwing irrelevant stats tell us how Cull is compared against Ghost or Corvus or Marvel which are doing huge amounts of damage from their very first fights and they are able to use their abilities several times per fight.

Ramped up Cull ends fights way too fast. He really is overpowered. With the increase in health from level 4 and level 5 health potions he is still viable in harder content. I do think his block proficiency should be increased and think it really should be a consideration as feedback from the player base. I don't think it is asking to much to raise block proficiency by 3% as a trade off for loss of attack power. When they announced this they did say they would listen to feedback. Hopefully they do and don't just stick to their rebalances without careful consideration after players are tested out for the 2 week period. With that said I'm waiting to test out and will report back when I do with the hope that they listen to player feedback. Charts and everything were very good and helpful but I do think some of it is misleading by leaving out certain characters for comparison reasons. If you are talking about top damage dealers they should be compared to the top 5-10 in the game only.

Those are my thoughts, don't think any of the changes are too crazy so my initial reaction is a wait and see approach as should everyone elses.
    Everyone knows that his block proficiency is low, even considering the fact that he holds an enormous shield his block is ridiculously low. However, even with this kind of ‘unbalance’, Cull is still useful in some content as I explained excluding wars and many of the variant events. What I’d like to point out is that by comparing Cull against venom and Ronin in such a poor contest like ROL is misleading. It is at least hypocritical for Kabam to close their eyes on Corvus, the most dominating champ in the contest in all context, and at the same time to kill a champ with limited usability. Cull has low block proficiency, he has zero immunities, he is useless against debuff or stun immune nodes, needs at least 5 charges and 3 armor breaks to start hitting above average. On the other side Corvus has full immunities and he is able to finish most of the fights in 20 hits. Congrats KABAM you rebalanced the contest!!
    Why is that the case? What they were examining there was average dps. Both with and without ramp up.

Considering the high health pools of rol opponents together with locked sp3's allowing for much more aggressive playing, I really can't think of a better testing environment for peak/average dps.
    1) RoL is unique and there is no other context similar to that. No one cares if you do big damage in RoL - this is a beginners contest. Look for example The Thing: he is a RoL monster but with the required synergy and playstyle he is useless on other content like variant events or act 6.
    2) DPS is misleading, what I'd like to see is damage averages per persistent charges and per armor breaks. And then compare this info against Corvus, Ghost and Capt. Marvel. DPS is subject to the experience and skill of players.
    3) Again, closing the eyes to top champs and comparing Cull against Venom (which is rng dependent) and Ronin (mediocre/indifferent champ) is at least hypocritical to my opinion.
  • mbracembrace Posts: 292
    Guys, you really shouldn’t call for the nerfing of every other top tier champion in disgust of this action. I saw some people mention taking another look at Ghost and Corvus, but let’s not escalate a mistake into a tragedy.
  • rullernurrullernur Posts: 6
    Make it worse. Damage was cut. And nothing was given for survival. They did it like the witch, Dr. Strange. One of the few who had a bad loss, after the dissolution, it was possible to demolish fat bosses. We'll have to lower the champion. I'll swing the other Champions.

Zuko_ILC said:

Why is that the case? What they were examining there was average dps. Both with and without ramp up.

Considering the high health pools of rol opponents together with locked sp3's allowing for much more aggressive playing, I really can't think of a better testing environment for peak/average dps.
    1) RoL is unique and there is no other context similar to that. No one cares if you do big damage in RoL - this is a beginners contest. Look for example The Thing: he is a RoL monster but with the required synergy and playstyle he is useless on other content like variant events or act 6.
    As I explained, that's exactly why they chose rol as a testing environment for average dps, which, again, is the only thing they focused on, since culls damage was the only real issue they saw in terms of him needing a balance check.

If they assume his peak average dps to be inappropriate compared to other champs, then why would they not choose the ideal testing environment for exactly that, namely rol?

Additionally, there's a lot of recordings of thing ripping through variant or act 6 content with his synergy cheese team. What are you even talking about?

Zuko_ILC said:

2) DPS is misleading, what I'd like to see is damage averages per persistent charges and per armor breaks. And then compare this info against Corvus, Ghost and Capt. Marvel. DPS is subject to the experience and skill of players.
    They took skill into account. You might want to reevaluate their data, since your conclusion seems to be flawed.

Also, again, they deemed his dps to he his main issue. Why would they not test and compare his dps...? You say they should have tested aspects of him that would have had nothing to do with their hypothesis.

Dps isn't misleading, if dps is exactly the thing they're concerned about and wanted to test.

Zuko_ILC said:

3) Again, closing the eyes to top champs and comparing Cull against Venom (which is rng dependent) and Ronin (mediocre/indifferent champ) is at least hypocritical to my opinion.
    Again, you didn't understand what the baseline of what they wanted to test. They were concerned about his dps.

As I explained in comments above, the top champs people want to compare cull to, namely ghost, corvus and cmm, do not function in a way that allows judging their capabilities as damage dealers on such a dps test.

Again:

Corvus would hit like a noodle for most of the fight, drastically pushing his average dps down. His performance would not be close to what he can do in shorter fights.

Ghost does not profit from overly agressive play. Her average dps in this testing environment would not properly show her performance as a damage dealer.

Cmm needs a bit of set up and heavy attacks to keep her charges up in order to keep her damage close to peak for most of the fight. She would lose quite some dps through that, which would also result in a flawed picture.
    You miss my point: testing DPS is MISLEADING! Because Cull can have huge DPS compared to Corvus but it is Corvus who is dominating all context. They are pointing us the tree so that we miss the whole forest. I'm a tier1 wars player, I've never seen thing or cull as attackers, however they have huge DPS in this "perfect" environment. However, I see tenths of Corvus, Ghosts, Voids, Cap Marvel which would otherwise fail the DPS test.... this is not "rebalance" it is a joke.
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 875 ★★★

gohard123 said:

Are you saying that CapIW, Hyperion and Ronin have a more representative DPS than Corvus, Ghost and CMM
    Well, I could only guess regarding ghost, but since her optimal playstyle seems to revolve around phase-intercepts and building her up for massive sp2 crits I don't think her average dps would be a suitable way to represent her capabilities as damage dealer.

It's damage per second, so every moment you "waste" building her up, especially considering how the ai needs to do their part, would bring down her average dps. Champs like cap iw, ronin or hyperion should have a more consistent average dps, since you won't spend that much time not attacking with those champs.

As to corvus, in a testing environment like rol ws he'd do horrible damage most of the time. Add to that the fact that he'd be at 0 missions in that test. All that would do would give a really flawed picture of corvus as a damage dealer. High dps in fight lengths of rol+ aren't his raison d'être. I'd actually expect corvus to perform slightly below average in a pure dps-test against rol ws.
    Again, that doesn't say anything about corvus' capabilities as a damage dealer, which is most likely the reason for not comparing cull to corvus either.

I'm not so sure about cmm. Considering they most likely looked at how the champs performed on their own we'd need to think about cmm without her nick fury synergy, which drastically lowers the minimum time she'll stay in binary. To keep up her peak damage that way you'd need to find/create more openings for heavy attacks, which will lower her average dps. I'd assume she'd have better dps on average than corvus in that fight, but it still wouldn't properly represent her damage dealing capabilities in general.
    So you are saying that Ghost and CMM have worse DPS than ronin and CapIW?
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,215 ★★★★

Because the ones who are complaining now wouldve sold their culls by that time
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 8,823 ★★★★★

Because the ones who are complaining now wouldve sold their culls by that time
    Dountful
  • cling2cling2 Posts: 34

Can I just ask..as he is..who even uses Cull for anything? I don't see any area of the game where he is the best option available.

I only have a 4* so I use him to explore Master mode
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • kyle2610kyle2610 Posts: 8
    edited January 24
    can someone clarify on this please?

I feel like this is something you guys need to be very clear on as the messages are conflicting here..

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Porthos
  • Ron12Ron12 Posts: 2
    @Kabam Miike I awakened Cull Obsidian with a cosmic gem and I used 19 cosmic sig stones, then I dup him twice.
    So now he is x60, If I sell him, will I get him x40, my gem and the sig stones?
  • Mase1127Mase1127 Posts: 28
    edited January 24
    Definitely selling mine back to get my resources back. Even with the damage output, Cull is only good for smashing the monthly quest and maybe easy 5 rooms of D7. He has next to 0 end game usability. These changes do nothing to solve that. I feel bad for people who dropped all that $$ on this champ.

It’s too bad cause he’s actually fun to play. I wish he was viable to be used more.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 1,953 ★★★★

Vincew80 said:

iRetr0 said:

Is it possible to increase his block proficiency? It's absolutely horrendous, I think it's only fair to do that. Maybe boost it up to 63 to 67% instead of the 54% now.

We're not going to do that at this time, but instead chose to increase the amount of Damage he can do with 0 Charges, so he can finish those fights where he's not very ramped up a little quicker.

While some users take more Damage with Cull because of blocking, our data shows that the more skilled you are with him, the less and less this is a factor.
    I think you mean your data shows you’d sell more units this way.
    If we spent months gathering Data, putting it into charts, and posting it for you, and that's what you're actually getting from it, then we wasted a lot of time and won't do it again.
    I bet a lot of people would prefer to get the data to make some analysis by themselves. The data you show is actually pretty limited. Why not compare cull in rol with champs, who have same level of damage with fights? Like take new captain marvel, sunspot, domino, nick furry or namor, I'd expect them to be pretty close if not higher. Ronin and venom are pretty mediocre champs dps wise imo.
    Plus all you show here is related to rol, and doesn't tell a lot about real game like act6 or aw, where you have to bait specials, wich changes dynamics of the fight a lot. Take hype - he can get so many furies in rol, but in other game modes you almost never achieve those tens of furies. I'm not familiar with cull, I don't have him, but if he needs aggressive play like hype, those are very biased. Anyway my point is these graphs' value is debatable at least. Like if we didn't know cull does more damage than venom
  • AleorAleor Posts: 1,953 ★★★★
    Also I've just got an idea - compare venom's dps to fully ramped cull's vs stun immune og spiderman, even without active sp3. I'd love to see that
  • Revan1001Revan1001 Posts: 22

Thanos’s Favor Bonuses: 15% -> 5% Duration and Ability Accuracy per Charge

There in no 15%! It is 10% now. Or what are you going to reduce?