**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Grandmaster: thoughts and guide

Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,597 ★★★★★
edited March 2020 in Strategy and Tips
Thoughts: this is an amazing fight, possibly the best fight design in the game, he’s very unique, and he provides us with one of the hardest fights in game, while still being completely skill based, and for a god tier player even soloable. He somewhat restricts champs you bring, but there are quite a few great options, and less optimal counters can still get it done. The main issue I have is that you have to go down a fairly long and difficult path before you get into the fight

Guide: Options- so far I have experience using 3 chanps for the fight, caiw Hyperion and aegon. Caiw is a slow way of getting through, with his block proficiency and tankiness he can survive for a very long time in the fight, and slipping up and pushing him to the s2 isn’t too bad, he also has access to dot making him able to do every challenge. The issue with cap is that for most of the fight you can’t land big l2s, and when he’s wounded your damage is limited, meaning you may have to wound grandmaster 4 or 5 times per phase, which can lead you to getting 5 blunder

Hyperion: Hyperion was a good option, he can do every phase, 1 thing to watch out for is using his l1 in phase 2, only do it when gm is low power or you’ll push him to s2. He suffers a similar thing to cap in that you lose lots of damage by not being able to stun or use l2/3 for most of the fight. He hits a bit harder than cap but dies quicker too

From my experience aegon is the best option, he doesn’t have access to a dot in the 2nd phase which seemingly means he can’t solo, but if you can time in the big heavy attack furies and a wound you can push an entire phase in 1 round he hits that hard. Like with hype be careful with the l1 in phase 2, he’s not particularly sustainable and the s2 hurts. With aegon don’t worry too much about failing 1 or 2 challenges, as long as you hit most of them you can avoid hitting 5 blunder since he gets through phases so fast

The fight itself:

Phase 1: in this phase grandmaster will ban certain actions, if something is banned try your hardest to avoid doing it, blunder stacks extremely fast. If you can corner grandmaster try to get into a loop of medium backdrafts, 1 medium dash back dash in, that way whatever is banned you aren’t doing, and you can stack large numbers of competence and potentially get out of this phase in 1 go. If parry is banned keep dodging or go for intercept, if dex is banned and parry isn’t just go for parry heavy and delay

Phase 2: this is the longest and imo the worst phase. Periodically grandmaster will fall 1 if 5 challenges. 3 are easy and you shouldn’t have any issue doing them, the other 2 are intercept and apply dot. With a lower damage champ try your hardest to land that intercept, blunder will hurt more than a couple hits, for a high damage champ try to intercept, but don’t risk getting hit to do so. If your champ has a dot on the l1 save the l1 for when that challenge appears. In this phase try to bait as many sp1s as possible, you can get massive competence stacks here

Phase 3: in this phase grandmaster will randomly assign another challenge. These ones require slight alterations in gameplay, but none are too hard to do. For knock down you can heavy counter if you have a fairly long reaching heavy, but for chanps who don’t use a special. Grandmaster passively gains power like ds in this phase, try to bait the s1 as early as you can, he can be reluctant to throw it, this phase isn’t too bad tbh

Phase 4: this phase seems problematic but it’s not that bad, just dash back keep distance, you can afford to take a few hits, his damage isn’t too bad, I found it better to sit and dodge than intercept. If you’re reviving up for this you don’t need to heal, but it’s a nice safety net, any champ can do this phase so use whoever is left

The s1 isn’t too bad, just takes 1 or 2 tries for timing

I’d recommend taking the evaluations link

Feel free to share any thoughts and other potential options and tricks

Comments

• Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,307 ★★★★★
    No inverse controls?
  • Options
    xNig said:

No inverse controls?

Forgot to mention them, They didn’t cause me any issues so i forgot they were there
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    I know this is an old post. But doesn`t Aegon have a bleed on his sp2?
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Nvm, I`m stupid
  • Options

Nvm, I`m stupid

Yeah, locked at 1 bar
  • Options
    AspectSlashAspectSlash Posts: 5
    Mr. Sinister was beyond amazing for phase three. He can block unblockable attacks so you don’t get caught off guard and he is immune to inverse controls. He regenerates 70% from crits so you won’t die by just tanking a combo. He has DOT for sp1 and sp3 took off 7% in wounded state. All around the ideal champion to use. Definitely recommend Mr. Sinister.