Champion Spotlight - Guardian [Corrected July 5]

About Guardian
In his earlier days, James Hudson worked for Am-Can as a petrochemical engineer. When he discovered the company’s deep-seated corruption, Hudson left immediately, stealing his latest invention: a super-suit primed to search for underground oil deposits. Fleeing the consequences of his actions, Hudson became Guardian, the founding member of Canada’s elite team of superhumans known as the Alpha Flight, defenders of the True North.

Guardian’s Mechanics

Guardian uses his Force Field to increase his defenses and absorb his Opponent’s Special Attacks. He can release his built up Force Field energy on his Opponents with his Electromagnetic Beams.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  5942  458  1929
 4-Star  14900  1148  4854
 5-Star  29874  2301  10630
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  38494  2965  13670

Character Class: Tech
Basic Abilities:
Force Field, Armor Up, Perfect Block, Taunt

STRENGTHS:
  • Armor & Resistances

• Besides granting Guardian increased Armor Rating, his Armor Up Buff will provide him with Bleed, Energy and Critical Damage Resistance. This makes him an extremely durable champion!

• Perfect Blocking Special Attacks
  • Guardian benefits from blocking his Opponent’s Special Attacks. Well-Timed Blocks allow him to gain Perfect Block Chance and additional Power.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Armor Break & Nullify

• Guardian’s Armor Up is the key to his success. It provides him with all of his defensive capabilities. By removing it, Guardian becomes extremely vulnerable for a window of time.

• True Strike & Unblockable Specials
  • Guardian’s Auto-Block can block an entire Special Attack, but with Unblockable or True Strike, his Opponent can ignore his defensive abilities entirely.

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

Passive:
  • Guardian can't land Critical Hits naturally, however every time he would have landed a Critical Hit, he deals a burst of Shock Damage. This ability scales with Critical Damage Rating.
  • Guardian can trigger the Parry Mastery against non-contact attacks.
  • While all of Guardian’s Ability Accuracy is below 100% for 3+ second(s), he inflicts a Shock Debuff, dealing 345.15 Energy Damage per second. This ability scales with Base Attack only and cannot be affected by Ability Accuracy.
Armor Up:
  • Start each fight with an indefinite Armor Up Buff, increasing Armor Rating by 2100.
  • If this Buff is removed for any reason, it will return after 14 second(s).
Force Field:
  • Force Field Charges last indefinitely, up to 3 Charges. Any additional Force Field Charges last for 22 seconds.
  • Gain 1 Force Field Charge every 12 seconds.
  • While Guardian has an Armor Up, Well-Timed Blocks against Special Attacks grant 100% Perfect Block Chance over 0.5 second(s). Each Perfect Block grants 10% of a bar of Power.
  • While Guardian has an Armor Up, gain a +15% chance per Force Field Charge to Auto-Block the Opponent's Special Attack. Gain a flat +15% chance against Mutants. This Auto-Block is considered a Well-Timed Block and can reach a 75% chance max.
  • Consume 1 Force Field Charge(s) to Block Unblockable Special Attacks against Mutants.
Developer’s Note:
While Guardian has an Armor Up effect he’s able to mitigate Special Attack damage with a Well-Timed Block. When facing a Guardian, watch out for Armor Up effects added through Quest Buffs since these will count towards some of his abilities.

Ending a Combo with a Light Attack:
  • Consume 2 Force Field Charge(s), inflicting a Power Drain removing 20% of the Opponent’s current Power.
Developer’s Note:
Guardian’s Power Drain only buys him time to bait out a Special 2 Attack when he’s in danger of a Special 3 Attack. This ability does not allow Guardian to control his Opponent’s Power to the degree that other Power Control Champions can.

Heavy Attacks:
  • The first hit consumes 1 Force Field Charge(s) to gain an Armor Up Buff, increasing Armor Rating by 2100 for 15 second(s).
Developer’s Note:
In order to retain Guardian’s defensive abilities after using a Special 2 Attack, Guardian can gain an additional Armor Up with his Heavy Attack which is consumed by the Special 2 Attack.

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1: Supersonic Charge:
  • After activation, gain 3 Force Field Charge(s).
  • The last hit inflicts a Taunt Debuff lasting for 6 seconds. Opponents that are Taunted have their Attack Rating reduced by 40% and have 70% higher chance to activate a Special Attack.
Developer’s Note:
Guardian’s Special 1 Attack is the fastest way to gain Force Field Charges. It also allows Guardian to Taunt the Opponent briefly for an easier time dealing with the Power Meter.

Special 2: Electromagnetic Beam
  • The first hit consumes all Force Field Charges, increasing Attack Rating by 2876.25 for each Force Field Charge for the duration of the Special Attack.
  • If Guardian has 3+ Force Field Charges consume 1 Armor Up Buff, inflicting a Shock Debuff, dealing 5752.5 Energy Damage over 3 second(s).
  • This attack cannot be Evaded by Mutant Champions.
Developer’s Note:
This is Guardian’s big burst of damage. Try and get as many Force Field Charges before blowing up the Opponent with this ability. Be careful after using ability if you’ve consumed your only Armor Up Buff, you won’t be able to Perfect Block or Auto-Block Special Attacks until it returns.

Special 3: Striking Oil
  • On activation, gain 6 indefinite Force Field Charge(s).
  • Inflict a Shock Debuff, dealing 3451.5 Energy Damage over 20 second(s).
Developer’s Note:
The Special 3 Attack is the most reliable way to gain Force Field Charges since all Charges are indefinite. This allows Guardian to stack tons of Charges for an even bigger burst of damage.

Signature Ability - Weapon Alpha
  • While Guardian has an Armor Up effect, gain the following effects:
  • +2563.46 Block Proficiency
  • +8392.11 Energy Resistance
  • +79.98% Bleed Resistance
  • +314.01 Critical Damage Resistance
Developer’s Note:
Weapon Alpha provides protection against a wide range of Quest Buffs, Masteries and Champions making Guardian a good choice in fights with some Damaging Debuffs or high Attack Ratings.

SYNERGY BONUSES
TRUE NORTHERN DEFENSE: Guardian
  • All Champions except Guardian: +1000 Block Proficiency.
  • Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate Synergies.

ON GUARD FOR THEE: Wolverine, Sabretooth, Squirrel Girl, Deadpool
  • All Champions except Guardian: The first 3 blocks have a 100% chance to be Perfect Blocks.

ALPHA FLIGHT: Sasquatch
  • Guardian: Well-Timed Blocks inflict a Shock Debuff, dealing 50% of Attack Rating as Energy Damage over 2 second(s).
  • Solo: Only affects this Champion and does not stack.

EXCAVATORS: Mole Man
  • Guardian: Each time Guardian would gain a Force Field Charge and he has no Force Field Charges, gain 1 charge(s).
  • Mole Man: When blocking a hit to gain Unstoppable, do not consume a Monster Mass.

FRIENDS: Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler
  • All Champions gain +130 Armor Rating

TEAMMATES: Red Hulk, Spider-man
  • All Champions gain +5% Perfect Block Chance

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Double Edge
  • Guardian’s signature, Weapon Alpha, allows him to resist a large portion of the Bleed damage inflicted by Double Edge.

Willpower
  • Guardian’s high Bleed and Energy Resistance with Weapon Alpha allow him to heal more damage than he’s taking from some Shock, Incinerate and Bleed Debuffs.

EDIT 1: Initially, this Spotlight indicated that Guardian 6% of a Bar of Power on a perfect block, instead of 10% and that his temporary force field charges lasted 16 seconds instead of 22 seconds. These have been corrected.
EDIT 2: The notice for a Bug Fix has been removed. Guardian's ability now reads: "While all of Guardian’s Ability Accuracy is below 100% for 3+ second(s), he inflicts a Shock Debuff, dealing 345.15 Energy Damage per second."
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 8,300 ★★★★★
    Is his base block proficiency going to be extremely low or something? Or is he just going to be an absolute tank with that sig
  • OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 722 ★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Is his base block proficiency going to be extremely low or something? Or is he just going to be an absolute tank with that sig

Hopefully the latter! Overall he looks like a solid addition to the tech class, at least on paper - really looking forward to trying him out when we get his 3* from the event calendar.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
    So you take away perfect block synergy but now you've added at least 3 or 4 perfect block champs in the 18 months give or take. Why bother taking away the synergy? Lol
  • SavageSavage Posts: 347 ★★★
    edited June 26
    Cmon now you cant make every tech have an indefinite armor up at the start of the fight that can come back after a period of time just because. I'm sure you guys are more creative than that.

I also have a problem with that energy resistance number... so Bishop has 4000 less energy resistance than a guy in a suit? Well great I just wasted my time investing in him for the "highest" energy resistance in the game
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 1,203 ★★★★
    Reminds me highly of sunspot. Perfect block, charges that you can cash in for massive damage on the SP2. Not a bad thing, Sunspot is amazing
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 753 ★★★★
    bob59300 said:

SYNERGY BONUSES

All Champions except Guardian: +1000 Block Proficiency.

That s strong <3 </p>

Cull Obsidian comes to mind
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    RookieXX said:

bob59300 said:

SYNERGY BONUSES

That s strong <3 </p>

Cull Obsidian comes to mind
    The Spider-Men and Hit-Monkey as well. Wasp too.
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,147 ★★★★
    Are all Synergies on all rarities?
  • Strikerrx8Strikerrx8 Posts: 841 ★★
    Who agent
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 4,216 ★★★★
    I don't why but I like this version much better.

• Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 1,247 ★★★★

Who agent

take a look at my pfp
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 1,272 ★★★★

Who agent

take a look at my pfp
    I was expecting Domino. It looks like she's going to take shock damage for the whole fight after the first 3 seconds
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 2,286 ★★★★
    bob59300 said:

SYNERGY BONUSES

That s strong <3 </p>

Wasp and Cull Obsidian will be Very Happy with that one...
  • ZensolodabombZensolodabomb Posts: 8
    I'm Canadian so I love this update guardian looks so cool😀
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 2,286 ★★★★
    edited June 30

SYNERGY BONUSES

• All Champions except Guardian: +1000 Block Proficiency.

Damn it Scales with his Star Rating... Still good but harder to get with Increased Potency till he's available in the Basic Pool.
  • DucimusDucimus Posts: 27
    Thx for the free 3* Guardian in the monthly calendar! I managed a 50k special 2 against WS!

I notice an inconsistency with the gameplay and the dev note for heavy attacks, which reads: "In order to retain Guardian’s defensive abilities after using a Special 2 Attack, Guardian can gain an additional Armor Up with his Heavy Attack which is consumed by the Special 2 Attack".

But since the special 2 attack consumes all Force Field charges when there 3 or more, the heavy attack won't have any Force Field charges to convert into an armor up buff. The buff will likely come back after its 14 second refresh timer has expired.

The dev note doesn't seem to really apply to either the scenario where the special 2 attack is launched with 3+ force field charges or the scenario where there 1 or 2 charges, wherein the armor up buff isn't consumed.
  • Another_NameAnother_Name Posts: 16
    Guardian is pretty fun right now. Do not nerf him at all Kabam admin.
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 263 ★★
    So you just build him up with sp3s then a wicked sp2? That just sounds like Invisible Woman with less steps lol
  • WhathappenedWhathappened Posts: 745 ★★★
    Ducimus said:

Thx for the free 3* Guardian in the monthly calendar! I managed a 50k special 2 against WS!

I notice an inconsistency with the gameplay and the dev note for heavy attacks, which reads: "In order to retain Guardian’s defensive abilities after using a Special 2 Attack, Guardian can gain an additional Armor Up with his Heavy Attack which is consumed by the Special 2 Attack".

But since the special 2 attack consumes all Force Field charges when there 3 or more, the heavy attack won't have any Force Field charges to convert into an armor up buff. The buff will likely come back after its 14 second refresh timer has expired.

The dev note doesn't seem to really apply to either the scenario where the special 2 attack is launched with 3+ force field charges or the scenario where there 1 or 2 charges, wherein the armor up buff isn't consumed.

Agreed. When I read that I scratched my head too. Oh well. He seems like a good champ. I need him and Sasquatch as a 5 or 6 star looks like
    Did anyone else when they first saw his sp3 think he was going to light the oil on fire with his beam, the champion would explode up then guardian would fly following behind then from above thrash the champion back down against the wall. Lol got oddly specific, but I really did think he was going to ignite the oil.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 3,596 ★★★★★
    Ducimus said:

He gains Force Field every 12 seconds which would let you play the timer to gain a Force Field after the special. Additionally you can use a heavy to get a temporary armor up before using the special and that temporary buff will be consumed instead of the permanent buff.
    Giving him that little bit of powergain to help building him up through sp3s, genius. Hope this is incorporated into more champs or even in the future champion reworks, awesome job on designing Guardian and Squatch.
  • Fluffydragon2Fluffydragon2 Posts: 108
    I am aware When you parry and heavy attack you gain an armor up buff in addition to the permanent one you have.

The question I have is , how much does each additional armor up add to the armor rating. Does it give 100% additional armor rating for each armor up buff

Example:

Original armor up = 2100

3 more equals = 6300

Grand total of

8400 armor rating

No where an anY description Does it specify
  • VoltolosVoltolos Posts: 654 ★★★

Heavy Attacks:

• The first hit consumes 1 Force Field Charge(s) to gain an Armor Up Buff, increasing Armor Rating by 2100 for 15 second(s).
    Developer’s Note:
    In order to retain Guardian’s defensive abilities after using a Special 2 Attack, Guardian can gain an additional Armor Up with his Heavy Attack which is consumed by the Special 2 Attack.
    It says it right here @Fluffydragon2

• RotellyRotelly Posts: 471 ★★★
    Has anyone been able to get guardians SP autoblock to work? I have had him at 6 charges against WS and every time WS fires his SP it doesn’t autoblock
  • Fluffydragon2Fluffydragon2 Posts: 108
    I noticed you can stack the armor breaks. For instance if you have 4 up, does that increase your armor rating
  • RotellyRotelly Posts: 471 ★★★
    @Kabam Zibiit does Guardians auto-block only trigger on the first hit of a special attack?