**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

So. Variant 5. My (actually) Short Review.

RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
Here we are again. I would have had this out earlier, but I pulled a 6* Domino from an Air-Walker cav, and, yeah, I had a bit too much fun with her.

So, Variant 5. What do I think? Well, it was enjoyable I guess, apart from an overly passive AI refusing to throw specials half the time. That caused me a lot of frustration.

I think the most important thing I learned from this variant is that Magik only has an 85% chance to power lock on her SP2. I genuinely thought it was 100%, so I was really confused when it failed to trigger a bunch of times. Never noticed it before.

Overall, I don’t think this variant was particularly difficult, especially considering we were told it was going to be more difficult. I probably used around 600 units on the entire exploration, although I do have a fairly stacked roster. One thing I did like is that there really isn’t any ‘niche’ fights. There is an Iceman, but Sasquatch and Mephisto can take that straight up, and a bunch of mystic champs have energy resistance, which will mitigate it.

My team for this variant was pretty fluid, so I’ll just put in all the champs I used throughout since it’s important to get some sort of perspective on why I maybe found some fights alright ad others not so much.

Main Champions:
5* R5 Claire Voyant
5* R5 Stealthy
5* R5 Voodoo
5* R5 Kali
5* R5 Symbiote Supreme
5* R5 Magik
5* R5 Stark Spiderman
5* R4 Venom (Who I actually just took to R5 after exploring the variant)

Niche Champions:
6* R1 Dormammu (For Scarlet Witch)
6* R1 Mephisto (For Scarlet Witch)
4* R5 Doctor Doom (Tried him on the flux dispersal path. Didn’t go so well)
4* R5 Sasquatch (Because Iceman was a thing)

As you can tell, yes, I do like ranking up Mystic 5*s. So I had a pretty stacked team for this.

Chapter 1:

The first quest was...fine. I actually think this is one of the most difficult quests throughout the entire variant. You basically need a spider hero for the boss, otherwise, it’s hell. Debuff Immune and Bane path wasn’t too fun, but there is nothing too egregious here. The second quest was absolutely fine, the boss is super easy. The global in the first chapter is really nice. It fits that nice little area where it makes fights easier, but you don’t need it necessarily. Overall, I had no issues with this first chapter. It wasn’t particularly difficult, but I wouldn’t say it was ‘enjoyable’ either.

Chapter 2:

Let me start the second chapter by saying that the mystic global is busted. Especially with Voodoo and Kali. I cheesed so many fights with them throughout this chapter, not mention it’s great for other mystics as well.

There isn’t anything too difficult in the third quest, there is a Domino that eats you alive, but most champs with decent damage output should survive the fight, probably just barely. I’m not a fan of the Scarlet Witch though. There are only 3, soon to be 4, poison immune champs you can use in this quest, and half of them will take you 3-400 hits to finish the fight. You can burst it down with other champs if you get lucky, but for example, one run with Voodoo I revived him at 20%, went in, crit on my first hit, got heal blocked, crit on my second hit and got poisoned. Bam, dead. That was not a good feeling.

The 4th quest is probably the easiest in the entire variant if I’m being honest. The hardest fight is a Power Shield, Burden of Might, Power Efficiency Nick Fury. Which I admit, cost me a team revive. I did not enjoy that fight one bit. But the rest of the paths were either easy or actually fun. The Storm boss was a joke with Sym Supreme. I wasn’t sure what I was doing in that fight, I just know she died quickly. Overall, Chapter 2 is my favourite chapter in this variant, mainly for the mystic boost. It promotes a different playstyle with mystics and spotlights some of the lesser-used ones. As well as being borderline broken for some.

Chapter 3:

Chapter 3 is where I really felt the difficulty ramp up. Specifically, the block damage. Now, variants are pretty notorious for this, and I still don’t like it. Especially here. The Symbiote global is brilliant in theory, however, the trade-off with the likely block damage is just not worth it unless you can’t do the fight without the AAR. The path difficulty also shot up, not that it’s a bad thing it does.

The Life Transfer/Psychic Thorns path is pure cheese and I love it to bits. The Spry/Best Defence path I’m less of a fan of. It’s fine, just not super enjoyable I found. The boss is fine, block damage is hefty, but the global means any symbiote can do this fight, and Venom naturally shreds it.

The real problem with this quest for me was the Flux Dispersal/Limber path. Now, if you have Doom, congrats, this path is easy as anything. For us that don’t, the Quake, Yondu and Elektra fight are hell. Why? The other champs you can counter their special 1 with a heavy to remove flux dispersal. I actually like this, it makes the player think and change up their playstyle. If they don’t want to eat a ton of block damage that is. The other champs are horrible since you can’t counter their SP1, and if you try to bait a heavy, they will eat you alive. Quake obviously places aftershocks on you if she charges her heavy, Yondu bleeds you, and Elektra will crit through your block below 25%. It’s basically killing them before you run out of parries. Which I did, but it wasn’t fun, nor interesting.

The last quest I found to be the trickiest, as you would naturally expect. The Prey On The Weak/Powerful From Afar Void gave me a bit of trouble, but it wasn’t too bad. Just a bit more challenging compared to other paths in the variant. Moving left to right, the next two paths are a joke.

Then, of course, we have the infamous improved power gain path that has pretty much become a staple of any variant at this point. This is easily the most difficult path, although it’s much easier than previous variants. Mephisto can be tricky, but I didn’t even bring my Claire and he was fine just playing around the aura.

Moving over to the right-hand side, we have a path that is fine except a Domino with stupid attack values. The critical failure just eats you alive. It’s ‘fun and interactive’, as they say.

The final Venom boss is very easy. Bait SP1 and win the game. If you can evade the SP2, this fight is very simple. Claire is great for this boss since her buff immunity doesn’t count as nullify, so you can strip him of his buffs. But Sym Supreme and Venom crushed this for me anyway.

Closing Thoughts:

Overall, this was just another variant. The rewards increase is amazing, especially for the difficulty ‘increase’. I’m not going to look back on this as content I’m particularly fond of, nor will I will look back in anger. It was fine. As for where it ranks in comparison with other variants, it, of course, depends on your roster. I would probably say V1 remains the most difficult, followed by V2, then either this one or V3, with V4 being the easiest (providing you have a 1* Hulk).

I got trash in the rewards, it’s not even worth listing. But I did get a 4->5 Mystic gem, so I have no clue who I’ll use that on. If I get my Guillotine awakened, I might take her up for fun. Other than that, I’m holding for Doom I guess.

But despite my feelings towards this variant, I look forward to the next one, which hopefully isn’t going to be another 8 or 9 months. Thanks for reading, and best of luck.

(Oh my god, how did I keep this to only 3 document pages. This feels weird.)

Comments

• Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★
    Snizzbar said:

Who is Kali lol

Sorcerer supreme.

Also great read OP, thinking of trying completion out myself.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★
    did you flip the first two quests around or something because that Scarlet Witch looks a lot worse than the Captain Marvel
  • Options
    Skillful_starSkillful_star Posts: 756 ★★★
    Snizzbar said:

Who is Kali lol

I just assumed he used khaleesi
  • Options
    TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,315 ★★★★★
    Finished exploring chapter 1, 2 paths to finish exploring chapter 2, and chapter 3 is completed. Chapter 1 was probably the least fun (although there was a path or two I enjoyed). Chapter 2 was pretty easy. Chapter 3 completion was fine, although that final Venom boss felt like he had a SP2 bias. I think I spent more time baiting his SP1 than I did actually fighting.

Think I might take in my symbiote supreme for exploration, get her regen on block buff permanently and then not worry about Venom going to his SP2 because I can just block and regen.
  • Options
    BonzodavidBonzodavid Posts: 586 ★★★
    Great, detailed review. I only did completion, and am currently working on 100% the easiest chapters but from looking at a lot of nodes and champions, I can see how the fights would work.
    For me the attack ratings are a bit too high, since I have a team consisting of 2 r5, 2r4, and 1 r5 4*, so I needed to use a couple of revives for completion.
    But at least now I know that this part of my roster needs improving
  • Options
    Repto23Repto23 Posts: 739 ★★★
    I thought you said this was a short review
  • Options
    Snizzbar said:

Who is Kali lol

He’s got a thing for Sorcerer Supreme.
    you could say he’s a...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE
  • Options

Repto23 said:

For me, it absolutely is. My Act 6 review couldn’t even fit in one forum post

And yes, Kali is Sorcerer Supreme. Read the EQ dialogue people, and save yourself the headache
  • Options
    No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★

Repto23 said:

And yes, Kali is Sorcerer Supreme. Read the EQ dialogue people, and save yourself the headache
    Or just call the character her character name. The thing 99.99% of people know her by.

Why didn't you call your Magik Ilyana?
  • Options
    No_oneuk said:

Repto23 said:

Or just call the character her character name. The thing 99.99% of people know her by.

It’s more letters and I’m lazy.
  • Options
    No_oneuk said:

Repto23 said:

He doesn’t have the connection to Magik
  • Options

Repto23 said:

sadly, barely any one reads eq dialogue these days.
  • Options

Repto23 said:

sadly, barely any one reads eq dialogue these days.
    It’s truly saddening. Going to be honest, the name of a character is not what I thought people were going to argue about on this post. It’s kind of a nice surprise

I thought I was going to get slated for not falling to my knees and worshipping the variant.
  • Options

Finished exploring chapter 1, 2 paths to finish exploring chapter 2, and chapter 3 is completed. Chapter 1 was probably the least fun (although there was a path or two I enjoyed). Chapter 2 was pretty easy. Chapter 3 completion was fine, although that final Venom boss felt like he had a SP2 bias. I think I spent more time baiting his SP1 than I did actually fighting.

Think I might take in my symbiote supreme for exploration, get her regen on block buff permanently and then not worry about Venom going to his SP2 because I can just block and regen.

The first hit of the SP2 is unblockable, so if you can dodge that you’re fine. I find it easier to evade if you get some distance between you. He’s a bit like Killmonger in that he’ll throw it from quite far away

• Options
    StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    Great write up!