Champion Spotlight - Professor X

About Professor X
Professor X believed in peaceful coexistence of mutants and humans, but this all changed when Moira MacTaggert revealed to him the inevitable demise of mutantkind, unless Professor X could change his ways. Under the new moniker “X”, he gave up his old dreams. No more would mutants endure the afflictions and prejudice of humankind. Under the formidable rule of X, the mutant nation of Krakoa was founded. And those who defy the nation must enter the Mindscape and face Professor X in a duel of mental strength.

Professor X’s Mechanics

Professor X channels his psychic power to Mind Control his Opponents, locking them from using Special Attacks and gaining power. As Professor X wins fights, he gains Cerebro Charges, boosting the effects of his powerful synergies.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  5336  525  1946
 4-Star  13379  1317  4891
 5-Star  26826  2640  10640
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  34566  3401  13690

Character Class: Mutant
Basic Abilities:
Cerebro Charges, Mind Control, Falter, Prowess, Vigilance

STRENGTHS:
  • Prevents Miss and Evade
  • Once Professor X has gained enough Channeling Charges, he can bypass Miss and Evade effects very reliably.

• Controller
  • With the combined use of his Falter, Unblockable and Mind Control abilities, Opponents will be playing on Professor X’s terms in each fight.

• Mutant Super Support
  • Make the most of Professor X by pairing him with other Mutants and X-Men. As Professor X wins fights, he gains Cerebro Charges which boost his synergy effects, benefitting his team.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Low Health
  • Professor X has a very small health pool which makes chip damage and especially damage-over-time effects very potent against him.

• Tech Champions
  • Professor X loses his counter to Miss and Evade effects against Tech Champions and he cannot use as many Special Attacks during Mind Control against them.

• Power Control
  • If Professor X can’t use Special Attacks, he can’t deal very much damage. Power Drain and Burn effects also remove a large portion of his Channeling Charges, a severe setback.

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

Mutation - Always Active
  • Professor X’s first Medium Attack is the only Basic Attack that makes contact with his Opponent. All of Professor X’s attacks deal Energy Damage.
  • Immune to Reversed Controls due to his mastery over Telepathy.
Falter
  • When Professor X would be struck by a Basic Attack, he inflicts a Falter Passive, causing 100% of the Opponent’s attacks to Miss for 2 second(s). This ability has a 20 second cooldown but starts on a 10 second cooldown.
  • When the Opponent lands a Special Attack, Falter is removed.
  • Avoiding an attack while Dodging backwards during Falter’s cooldown reduces the duration by 1 second(s).
Developer’s Note: This ability allows Professor X to safely Channel without being attacked. It’s up to the player to maximize Professor X’s Falter ability. The more attacks he dodges, the more he can use it.

Persistent Cerebro Charges - Max 4 Charges
  • Start each Quest with 1 Cerebro Charge(s).
  • Gain 1 Cerebro Charge(s) when Professor X wins a fight.
  • Cerebro Charges increase the potency of Professor X’s Synergies.
Developer’s Note: One of X’s greatest features is his toolbox of useful synergies. Unlike most, Professor X can increase the potency of his synergies by winning fights.

Channeling
  • Professor X channels his telepathic abilities, gaining 10 Channeling Charge(s) per second at the end of his Special 1 and 2 Attacks and while charging his Heavy Attack.
  • When Power Burned or Drained, lose 50 Channeling Charge(s).
  • While at 25+ Channeling Charges against Non-Tech Champions, Professor X can not be Evaded and gains a Vigilance Passive, allowing all attacks to bypass Miss.
  • While at 50+ Channeling Charges, using the fourth Light Attack inflicts Mind Control on the Opponent. When activating a Special Attack with 100 Channeling Charge(s), automatically inflict Mind Control.
Developer’s Note: Channeling is a mechanic that's new to Professor X! In game, watch for pink and purple waves emanating from Professor X, indicating that he is Channeling. When Professor X is defending, this is a great window to punish him.

Channeling - Completing and Cancelling
  • Complete Channel or Cancel by Heavy Attacking: Gain +10 Channeling Charge(s).
  • Cancel by Blocking, Charging a Heavy Attack or using a Light, Medium or Special Attack: Gain a Prowess Buff increasing Special Attack Damage by 40% for 36 second(s).
  • Cancel by Dashing Backwards: Refresh the duration of all Prowess Effects on Professor X.
Developer’s Note: Players are able to cancel out of the Channeling during the Special 1 and 2 Attacks by inputting an action. The way you cancel your Channel will decide what effects are activated! There’s quite a lot of potential for some interesting plays with this ability so we’re excited to see what you guys come up with!

Mind Control
  • Mind Control lasts 0.5 second(s) for every 10 Channeling Charge(s).
  • The Opponent is Locked from gaining Power or using any of their Special Attacks.
  • Mind Control’s duration is paused during Professor X’s Special Attacks, except while Channeling.
  • Professor X’s Special Attacks are Unblockable and cost up to 70% less Power based on the number of Channeling Charges. Reduced to 40% against Techs.
Developer’s Note: Professor X is the first champion in the game that’s able to lock his Opponent out of their Special Attacks. Mind Control is Professor X’s big moment to use as many Special Attacks as he can while the Opponent is almost completely subdued.

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1: Psychic Grasp
  • On activation, gain 25 Channeling Charge(s).
Developer’s Note: During Mind Control, players will find that they’re able to perform several Special 1’s in quick succession with enough power.

Special 2: Psi-Blades
  • The last three hits deal a burst of 2112 Energy Damage. This ability scales with Special Attack Damage.
Developer’s Note: This is Professor X’s largest damage spike! Keep in mind that Professor X’s Prowess Buffs will increase the bursts of Energy Damage from this attack.

Special 3: Duel of the Mind
  • Gain a Prowess Buff for each Cerebro Charge, increasing Special Attack Damage by 60% and lasting 40 second(s). Max 4 stack(s).
Developer’s Note: As Professor X wins more fights, he’ll gain more Cerebro Charges, greatly increasing the benefit of his Special 3. In Mind Control, keep in mind that due to the reduced cost of Special Attacks, Professor X can use his Special 2 immediately after this attack.

Signature Ability - Krakoan Sovereignty
  • While below 75 Channeling Charge(s), gain 1 Charge(s) per second. While Defending, this rate is doubled and Charges are gained for the entire fight.
  • Gain up to 50% Prowess Potency, scaling with the Opponent’s Power Meter.
Developer’s Note: With his Signature Ability unlocked, Professor X is encouraged to inflict Mind Control when his Opponent has as much power as possible, increasing the potency of all Prowess Buffs gained during Mind Control.

SYNERGY BONUSES
Birthright With Professor X
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: +25% Special Attack Damage for each Cerebro Charge. Max 100%.
  • Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate Synergies.
Developer’s Note: All of Professor X’s synergies provide a bonus to Mutants and X-Men on his team, excluding himself. Each of these effects scales with his Cerebro Charges, making him an even better support for every fight he wins.

Drug I With Wolverine, Wolverine (X-23), Colossus
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: +18% Poison Resistance for each Cerebro Charge. Max 72%.
  • Wolverine, Wolverine (X-23): +15% Critical Rating.
  • Colossus: Start each fight with 1 indefinite Armor Up Buff, granting 15% Armor Rating.

Habitat With Storm, Storm (Pyramid X), Emma Frost
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: +15% Prowess Effect Duration for each Cerebro Charge. Max 60%.
  • Storm, Storm (Pyramid X): +20% Shock Potency.
  • Emma: Gain up to +35% increased Critical Rating scaling with Emma’s Power Meter.

Drug L With Cyclops (New Xavier School), Cyclops (Blue Team), Phoenix
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: Once per fight when a Champion would be knocked out, immediately regenerate 7.5% of their Max Health for each Cerebro Charge. Max 30% Health.
  • Cyclops (New Xavier School), Cyclops (Blue Team): Beam Hits gain +100% Critical Damage Rating and inflict an Armor Break, reducing Armor Rating by 20% for 5 seconds.
  • Phoenix: When Overloaded, Phoenix gains an indefinite Fury Passive, increasing her Attack Rating by 60%. Max 5 stack(s).

Gateway With Nightcrawler, Archangel, Beast
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: Gain 6% of a bar of Power every 10 second(s) for each Cerebro Charge. Max 24%.
  • Nightcrawler, Archangel: +30% Bleed Potency.
  • Beast: Increase the duration of Freestyle and Acrobatic Combo Success by 5 second(s).
  • Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate synergies.

Drug M With Magneto, Magneto (House of X), Iceman
  • All Mutants and X-Men except Professor X: Gain a Mental Barrier with 2.5% of Current Health for each Cerebro Charge. Max 10% Health. Whenever the Champion would take damage except from Special 3 Attacks, the Barrier takes 75% of the damage until it reaches 0 Health.
  • Iceman: When Ice Armor shatters all Frostbite Effects expire instantly.
  • Magneto (Marvel Now!): Guidance's bonus Attack Rating is increased by a flat +5% or +15% on the final node of a Quest.
  • Magneto (Classic): +15% Attack Rating while fighting #Metal Champions.
  • Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate synergies.

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Dexterity:
  • Although this mastery is a mainstay, it's still good to callout. For Professor X, the more attacks he dodges, the better. Why not get a Precision Buff out of it?

Stupefy:
  • Extending the duration of Parry’s Stun allows Professor X to Heavy Charge for longer, resulting in more Channeling Charges, faster!

Block Proficiency:
  • Professor X does not have a lot of Health to work with. Increasing his Block Proficiency makes taking chip damage less impactful.

Comments

• RotellyRotelly Posts: 526 ★★★
    Ya_Boi_28 said:

Those synergies are crazy!

they don't look that amazing to me, what am i missing?
    i would say they are nice but not crazy insane. the extra health (max 10%), power gain (over 10 seconds), increase in bleed. Just not seeing it
    the poison reduction is nice but still a bunch of champs to drag around and not worth the weight
  • Jaggers68Jaggers68 Posts: 169
    Lives up to his name
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 380 ★★
    That channeling seems like it will make gameplay a bit awkward. I do hope Kabam did proper testing on it.
    Awesome champ overall. This month's champions are the best so far
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 380 ★★
    Daphboy said:

Whoa... that Phoenix synergy.... I’d be loving an Emma, Phoenix, professor X team.

Might be time to rank up my Phoenix
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 863 ★★★
    Synergy with both Cyclops is definitely a mehh.

Only 5 seconds Armor Break debuff duration? So outdated. So lame.
    Way to call them both 'effective'. LOL
  • Strikerrx8Strikerrx8 Posts: 896 ★★★
    How good is his prestige
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 5,418 ★★★★★
    edited September 1
    he seems fun with good damage and synergies
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,008 ★★★★

Am I the only not understanding his abilities at all?

The Channeling part is totally confusing.

I mean what is a Completing Channeling and what is Cancelling Channeling?

There is one part that says
    "Gaining +10 Channeling charge(s) per second...while charging his heavy attack".

Then there is another part that says
    "• Complete Channel or Cancel by Heavy Attacking: Gain +10 Channeling Charge(s).
    • Cancel by Blocking, Charging a Heavy Attack"

It sounds oxymoron or maybe I just misunderstood the text cuz I've read it 10 times LOL

I hope Dorky Dave will come out with a solid guide video of him.

I think when ProfX start Channeling at the end of sp1, 2 or charging heavy. It can be completed or cancelled.
    Similar to Sabretooth when you leave him idle to convert fury but when you perform any other action the conversion is stopped.
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 388 ★★
    So is the best counter to prof X and Apocalypse Sentinel when teamed with a mutant???
  • ms_5707983ms_5707983 Posts: 86
    Curious about the Iceman synergy. Can someone explain how that helps Iceman? Did they mean to tell us that the duration of Ice Armor is extended? Feel like I'm missing something here and that it's not entirely my fault.
  • _suge__suge_ Posts: 5
    When is the early access bundle for these champs ?
  • pseudosanepseudosane Posts: 422 ★★★
    How are we supposed to hit Prof X on a stun immune node. Is OG vision the only answer?
  • Ace_03Ace_03 Posts: 922 ★★★★

Curious about the Iceman synergy. Can someone explain how that helps Iceman? Did they mean to tell us that the duration of Ice Armor is extended? Feel like I'm missing something here and that it's not entirely my fault.

It is your fault, that synergy explanation can't possibly be anymore clear.
  • ms_5707983ms_5707983 Posts: 86
    Thanks for the explanation TripleB. Well done.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 898 ★★★
    He looks fun to play and his syneegies are godly! I was never a fan of same class synergies, but with the stupid gates in 6.2, these could prove very useful for both endgame (Book 2) and lategame (6.2). Hoping to see him in the next featured
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,008 ★★★★
    Professor X Deep Dive.
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 366 ★★★
    You might want to add a note that channeling charges are reset to zero after mind control ends. Reading through his description I couldn't find anything that said the charges were used up or reset and only after watching the deep dive I saw that they reset and are essentially used up by mind control.
  • RawrdudeRawrdude Posts: 23
    How to defeat that thing with 4 stars 😂
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Posts: 1,074 ★★★
    edited September 4

According to that, landing a special removes falter ... I've tried it a couple times, landed a special .. but following attack is still faltered ... is this bugged? or is there something more I'm missing ??

00:53 falter activates ..
    00:54 parry + attack, triggers falter.
    01:16 Falter activates again.
    01:17 parry + sp2 .. obviously connects.
    01:25 attacking into channelling - attack misses.

attack at 1:25 should have hit, since the sp2 at 1:17 should have cleared the falter ..
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 4,386 ★★★★★
    Rawrdude said:

How to defeat that thing with 4 stars 😂

Torch absolutely rinses him.. I used Warlock and Colossus to bring him down. He isn't anything special once you figure out how his falter works and how to dodge his specials.
  • slackerslacker Posts: 259 ★★
    dot_ditto said:

According to that, landing a special removes falter ... I've tried it a couple times, landed a special .. but following attack is still faltered ... is this bugged? or is there something more I'm missing ??

00:53 falter activates ..
    00:54 parry + attack, triggers falter.
    01:16 Falter activates again.
    01:17 parry + sp2 .. obviously connects.
    01:25 attacking into channelling - attack misses.

attack at 1:25 should have hit, since the sp2 at 1:17 should have cleared the falter ..

That ability means you have to get falter active first then use sp to remove it, in your video you did sp first and falter not active at that time, since falter trigger by basic hit only
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 307 ★★
    Professor X is insane, love him, same with Guardian so please retweak Invisble Woman. Guardian and Professor X are exactly how she should have been designed, way more realistic and fair to the player with a real justifiable pay off.