Champion Spotlight - Medusa

edited September 2017 in Champion Spotlights
About Medusa:
Born into the Inhuman Royal Family of Attilan, Medusa was exposed to the mutagenic Terrigen Mists when she was only an infant. This transformation endowed her with tougher-than-steel hair and the ability to control each strand like an added appendage. Along with her husband, Black Bolt, Medusa leads her people as the Queen of the Inhumans in their search for a better place in the world.

Base Stats & Abilities
*All stats based on 4 Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99

Health: 15660
Attack: 1283
Max PI:
- Without Signature: 3820
- With Signature (99): 4791

Character Class: Cosmic
- Abilities: Armor Break, Armor Shattered, Bleed, Poison Immunity

Passive:
- An enhanced immune system provides full immunity to the Poisons of the Battlerealm.

On Medium Attacks
- Medusa slashes with her hair, breaking the opponent’s Armor and applying 352.94 Armor Rating reduction for 3.6 seconds.

Armor Shattered
- When the opponent suffers from 6 active Armor Break Debuffs, their Armor Breaks will turn into an Armor Shattered Debuff, reducing Armor Rating by 2444.45 for 26 seconds.
- While Armor Shattered is active, opponents cannot suffer from further Armor Breaks nor activate their Armor Buffs. Additionally, this Debuff shatters Robot Champion’s systems, reducing their Ability Accuracy and Power Gain by 100%.

Critical Light Attacks and All Heavy Attacks:
- 100% chance to inflict Bleed if Armor Shattered is active, dealing 25.66 damage per second until Armor Shattered expires. Maximum of 30 Stacks.

Special 1: Split Ends - Medusa individually controls each strand of her hair to subdue opponents with a 4-hit combo.
- Medusa inflicts a 4-hit combo, each breaking the opponent's Armor and reducing their Armor Rating by 352.94 per stack for 6 seconds

Special 2: Swinging Strands - Medusa swings her body, striking her opponents with a combination of sword and hair attacks.
- Medusa performs a 10-hit combo, each hit has a 60% chance to inflict Bleed if Armor Shattered is active, dealing 513.2 Direct Damage over 2 seconds.
- Stuns the opponent for 3.5 seconds if Armor Shattered is inactive.

Special 3: Rite of Royalty - Wielding blades in her hands and hair, Medusa shows her opponents that she is the Inhuman Queen for a reason.
- Inflicts Armor Shattered, reducing the opponent’s Armor Rating by 2444.45 for 35 seconds.

Signature Ability: Living Strands - Medusa can precisely control the movement of each strand of her hair, enabling her to Auto Block incoming attacks.
- Medusa gains a Fury Buff every 3 seconds, up to 3 stacks, each increasing Attack by 218.11. Fury Buffs expire 14 seconds after reaching the maximum amount.
- When struck twice, Medusa has 10~90% chance to Auto Block with her hair, breaking the opponent’s combo, for the cost of 3 Fury Buffs. This can trigger Parry.

Synergy Bonuses

1. Inhuman Royal Family with Karnak
Medusa: Heavy Attacks inflict up to 4 permanent Armor Breaks.
Karnak: Becomes Focused 35% faster and True Strike lasts 35% longer.
Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate synergies.

2. Inhuman Royal Family with Black Bolt
Medusa: Living Strands generates up to 6 Fury Buffs.
Black Bolt: Provocation generates permanent Buffs instead of temporary Buffs.
Inhuman Royal Family:+25% Attack at the start of the fight if Medusa, Black Bolt and Karnak are together in a team.
Unique Synergy: Does not stack with duplicate synergies.

3. Enemies with Wolverine and Iron Man

All Champions in the team gain +155 Critical Rating.

4. Rivals with Quake
All Champions in the team gain +115 Critical Damage Rating.

Recommended Masteries

Deep Wounds: Medusa’s Special 2 is able to inflict a lot of short Bleeds, Deep Wounds will more than double the damage inflicted by those Bleeds. Additionally, when the opponent’s Armor is Shattered, Medusa will constantly inflict Bleeds through her Sword Attacks, quickly finishing opponents off when she has more Health Points than them.

Extended and Enhanced Fury: Medusa can get a lot of Fury Buffs when awakened, extending their duration and enhancing their effectiveness will add a lot more burst damage capacity especially when pairing that with her Armor Breaks, Bleeds, and the Inhuman Royal Family synergy with Black Bolt and Karnak.

Parry: Medusa’s signature ability, Living Strands provides a chance to break the opponent’s combo by activating an Auto-Block. This ability can not only save you from a deadly combo, but can also Stun the opponent if you have the Parry Mastery, allowing Medusa to safely start her own combo.

Strong Match-ups:

Black Panther (Civil War): Medusa’s new Armor Shattered Debuff prevents opponents from activating their Armor Buffs, meaning Black Panther will not be able to take advantage of his Reflect Stun ability.

Ultron, Vision (Robots): Armor Shattered has a pretty long duration, and against Robots it has an extremely potent bonus which is reducing their Ability Accuracy to 0. A great counter to Ultron’s Regeneration and Vision’s Power Gain effects.

Weak Match-ups:

Doctor Strange: Medusa heavily relies on her Fury Buffs to Auto Block and for general damage output. Doctor Strange not only has the power to passively Nullify those Buffs, but also has Class Advantage against Cosmic Champions.

Colossus, Ghost Rider: Bleed Immune Champions greatly reduces Medusa’s burst damage capabilities.
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• Why can her sig trigger parry?

Because its a block at the perfect timing like we usually do

It's not "perfect timing", it's set timing used by AI. This forces us to stop combos at 2 hits when facing her in war or there's up to a 90% chance that we get stunned?

It's not "perfect timing", it's set timing used by AI. This forces us to stop combos at 2 hits when facing her in war or there's up to a 90% chance that we get stunned?

Why stop at 2 hits just keep nullifiers or wait for her fury to die down
  • Special 3 Inflicts Armor Shattered that lasts 35 seconds.
    Critical Light Attacks and Heavy Attacks inflict Bleed if Armor Shattered is active, and lasts until armor shattered expires.

So let's say that I can do a special 3 each 35 seconds. The opponent will always have an armor shattered debuff.
    This way, I can stack multiple bleeds permanently (until 99x I guess), or will the bleeds expire when armor shattered is re-aplied?
  • eXtripa69 wrote: »
    Special 3 Inflicts Armor Shattered that lasts 35 seconds.
    Critical Light Attacks and Heavy Attacks inflict Bleed if Armor Shattered is active, and lasts until armor shattered expires.

So let's say that I can do a special 3 each 35 seconds. The opponent will always have an armor shattered debuff.
    This way, I can stack multiple bleeds permanently (until 99x I guess), or will the bleeds expire when armor shattered is re-aplied?

I would like to know that too

You can keep them going forever, but there is a limit of 30 stacks! Thank you for reminding me, I forgot to add that to the Spotlight! Doing it now.

You can keep them going forever, but there is a limit of 30 stacks! Thank you for reminding me, I forgot to add that to the Spotlight! Doing it now.

Ooh thats sweet

Ooh thats sweet

Keep in mind her Bleeds are not the strongest, but having 30 of them AND a hella strong Armor Break... It's pretty crazy.

Ooh thats sweet

Keep in mind her Bleeds are not the strongest, but having 30 of them AND a hella strong Armor Break... It's pretty crazy.

Another question mike. Does new bleed replace the old ones? So that we can get the 6 fury bleeds?
  • Medusa has been nerfed already? I pulled her from the Regal Crystal bundle last week and her synergy with Karnak didn't have a cap on the number of armor breaks she could place. There also was no info on how strong the armor breaks are but I knew they had to be modest from the slight increase in damage they provided. Placing a cap of 4 of them pretty much makes this "Unique" synergy boring and not worth adding Karnak to your team. I was very excited about this champ but it's looking like she is gonna be watered down weak like most others.
  • Medusa has been nerfed already? I pulled her from the Regal Crystal bundle last week and her synergy with Karnak didn't have a cap on the number of armor breaks she could place. There also was no info on how strong the armor breaks are but I knew they had to be modest from the slight increase in damage they provided. Placing a cap of 4 of them pretty much makes this "Unique" synergy boring and not worth adding Karnak to your team. I was very excited about this champ but it's looking like she is gonna be watered down weak like most others.

Not like you can go beyond 6 anyway

Ooh thats sweet

Another question mike. Does new bleed replace the old ones? So that we can get the 6 fury bleeds?

They do indeed replace the old ones.
  • SlyCat42SlyCat42 Posts: 500 ★★
    Why can her sig trigger parry?

Technically, but the fury falls off and has to come back and it's only while she has a certain number of stacks.

On top of that you can bring anyone with stagger/nullify and it just won't trigger (maybe ability accuracy reduction as well?). Plus she requires being played properly to get the armor shattered and her specials are short range. I don't predict that she will be heavily played on defense.

The 4 Armor Break on Heavy attack Cap was always there. This unique synergy provides Medusa a way to activate Armor Shattered without doing a Special 1 Attack. The Armor Break strength is equivalent to the strength of the Armor Break inflicted on her Medium Attacks.

This means, if you have this Synergy, you can do 4 Heavy Attacks and 2 Medium Attacks instead of 1 Special Attack and 2 Medium Attacks. Enabling you to save Power for a Special 2 or Special 3.
  • SlyCat42 wrote: »
    Why can her sig trigger parry?

Technically, but the fury falls off and has to come back and it's only while she has a certain number of stacks.

On top of that you can bring anyone with stagger/nullify and it just won't trigger (maybe ability accuracy reduction as well?). Plus she requires being played properly to get the armor shattered and her specials are short range. I don't predict that she will be heavily played on defense.

This was my thought, too. A lot of people were getting hyped thinking she was going to be an amazing defender, but she seems easy enough to counter. Keep an eye on her fury buffs or only hit twice.
  • DalBotDalBot Posts: 780 ★★★
    edited September 2017
    nhxe9i5org0y.jpg
    eXtripa69 wrote: »

I would like to know that too

• A little off-topic, but since Medusa is responsible for buffing up BB so much, do you mind clarifying what the "chance" is that he gains a fury/cruelty from his own crit hits? This is a stat mentioned nowhere in his in-game sig description.
  • Carmel1Carmel1 Posts: 220
    A little off-topic, but since Medusa is responsible for buffing up BB so much, do you mind clarifying what the "chance" is that he gains a fury/cruelty from his own crit hits? This is a stat mentioned nowhere in his in-game sig description.

i wondered the same thing too, until i saw this video:

1. it seems like the is maximum for each fury/cruelty buff of 15.
    2. proc rate seems like 6-7% (in the video it took about 450 hits to reach total of 30 buffs)

i knew it was too good to be true
    Too good to be true is 15 buffs each? A 4 star Black Bolt with 15 fury and cruelty would be amazing.

I'm really hoping they make him a 6 star. He's one of those characters that's always good, but never quite OP. Would be nice at a higher star rating.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 18,345 ★★★★★
    Haven't had a chance to use her yet, but she has to be one of my favorite designs. She gives me Sindel Vibes. Looking forward to trying her out.
    Haven't had a chance to use her yet, but she has to be one of my favorite designs. She gives me Sindel Vibes. Looking forward to trying her out.

She even has her own fatality via her special 3 lol. She does definitely seem reminiscent of Sindel though. What was that.. like MK3?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 18,345 ★★★★★
    SlyCat42 wrote: »

She even has her own fatality via her special 3 lol. She does definitely seem reminiscent of Sindel though. What was that.. like MK3?

That's funny. Lol. "L3tality". To be fair, I don't think she is copied, just that she gives me that vibe. I love Sindel as well. She was introduced in MK3 and she's appeared in about 9 of them since then.
  • Wordy12Wordy12 Posts: 208
    I really think she's a good character because its easy to get armor shattered on the opponent and then you get that insane bleed damage, her fury and auto block is good but I don't think auto block matches her character, even though it's a good thing to have
  • Wordy12Wordy12 Posts: 208
    when she uses her synergies she's one of the greatest champs in the game
  • Well poop. I thought this was gonna make him a LoL candidate. Guess Kabam wants me to wait for SL still.
  • So, are the gacha banners just showing the wrong prestige, or..?

The 4* shows max PI of 2986, and 5* shows 6022. Both are insanely low.
  • I think I found a bug on her special 2.
    She inflicts Bleed when opponent has armor shattered. However, these bleeds expire when armor shattered expires too.
    So for example I use a special 2 three seconds before armor shattered ends. Instead of lasting 4.5 seconds each (with Deep Wound mastery), the bleeds will expire when armor shattered expires too.
  • FabiFabi Posts: 64
    Blackened wrote: »
    So, are the gacha banners just showing the wrong prestige, or..?

The 4* shows max PI of 2986, and 5* shows 6022. Both are insanely low.

Yeah Thats wrong.
  • Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 386 ★★★
    Carmel1 wrote: »
    A little off-topic, but since Medusa is responsible for buffing up BB so much, do you mind clarifying what the "chance" is that he gains a fury/cruelty from his own crit hits? This is a stat mentioned nowhere in his in-game sig description.

i wondered the same thing too, until i saw this video:

1. it seems like the is maximum for each fury/cruelty buff of 15.
    2. proc rate seems like 6-7% (in the video it took about 450 hits to reach total of 30 buffs)

i knew it was too good to be true

Fury/cruelty have a cap of 99 when stacking them from being struck, obviously they've been capped at 15 on the offensive end to curb the effect of this synergy.