**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

My First Featured 5* Grind

RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
We all know Magneto is a great champ now. ‘Great’ might be an understatement. I haven’t been lucky enough to pull a 5* Magneto, remaining pretty much the only and 5* I haven’t pulled.

Still, I had no intention of grinding for him.

Firstly, I had never done a featured 5* grind before. So I didn’t even know if I could do it.

Secondly, I’ve just started uni, and the work is piling up high. Not to mention I would have multiple real-life events to attend over the Thursday and Friday.

And yet, 6 hours before the arena was due to start, I decided to grind for the 5* Magneto. Like a complete madman

I figured he wouldn’t go too high, maybe around 40 mil, since domino went for 40 mil. Although Cable might have been a better indicator, since he is obviously better than domino. I estimated I could put up the 40 mil if I grinded away my life.

My grind began in secret while I sat on a zoom call with the uni debating society, holding my phone just left of my screen so it looked like I was still watching the laptop screen. The benefits of Zoom I guess.

I lost my streak so. many. times.

By the time it had ended, there was no hope of a second round of 5*s that night unless I stayed up to 6am. So I relaxed and took that first night a bit leisurely. I was still up to 3:30am. By this point I was at 9 million points, which I was feeling pretty good about. I set an alarm for 7am, and was out for the count as soon as my head hit the pillow

The next day was spent juggling zoom lectures and the grind, sprinkled in with some dining out. I wasn’t up as late, just 2:30am. You know, a reasonable time to sleep. I was at 26 mil by the end of Friday, which had me feeling pretty confident considering I could grind more extensively over Saturday and Sunday. By this point BG had his prediction of 40 mil out, and I knew I could hit above that easily.

Saturday followed a similar routine, but with less work, thankfully. By the end of the night, I sat at 43 mil.

By this point, I was feeling extremely confident, but incredibly delirious. Believe me, sleep deprivation really catches up with you. And I still had to get up at 8 to continue the grind.

Thankfully, today was a much more relaxed grind. Worked my way through my 5 stars, 6 stars, and multiple coffees before hunkering down to more journalism notes. Finished up another round of 5*s at 15:00, sitting me comfortably at 51 mil. I then spammed a bunch of boosts and grinded almost the entirety of the 4* basic in one sitting, running out at 1.25 mil.

Why did I grind the 4* basic? Because cyber weekend is a thing, and I blew too many units on apocalypse cavs like a right imbecile.

Of course, at 17:30, 30 minutes before the end of the arena, I had a sudden shot of paranoia, and threw my lower ranked 5*s in at the speed of light, giving me a final score of 52 mil. Which is about 17 mil more than I thought I would be able to put up

So, did I get him?

Well...

Looks like I need not have worried. Overkill? Absolutely. Would I go that high of I had known? Absofreakinglutely.

I achieved this score with no refreshes, but I do have quite a large roster
So, what tips do I have for anyone looking to do one of these grinds?

Well, first of all, it’s about to become (hopefully) a lot easier since it’s expanded to top 300. This should bring down the cutoff, although it’s all down to player behaviour, and we can’t really predict it until it happens

Secondly, plan ahead. Know how many rounds you’ll be able to get in within the 3 days of your 5 and 6 stars. Set yourself point targets for each day.

Thirdly, caffeine. I wish I had more. And I had at least one coffee every day. 2/3 might do it if you’re planning to late night grind.

Entertain yourself. Look, I love arena, but it’s boring as ****. Podcasts, music, whoever you need, but focus on something else. Even with my metal core blaring in my earbuds I was finding it difficult to stay awake at 2/3am, especially Saturday night.

Boosts. Not just arena boosts, they’re obvious. Champion boosts. They increase your score per fight a decent chunk. Obviously most save them for war, content, etc, but if you have some spare, and with the new superior solo crystals you should do, they are a great tactic to use. Not seen anyone use it anywhere

And if your streak resets due to a death match, or you fell asleep, it’s not the end of the world. My streak must have reset at least 10 times over the 3 days

Don’t underestimate your lower rank 5*s. I’m talking the R1’s and R2’s. If you want to be safe, pair one with 2 maxed 4*s, but I was feeling brave/stupid and just took the deathmatches on the chin. Worked out fairly well, but that was responsible for a lot of streak resets

Finally, just...be prepared. Grinding this much arena is quite mentally straining. It takes a lot of motivation and dedication to keep going when it feels like you’re not making much progress, or you just want to sleep.

Simply put, it’s just incredibly mind numbing and tedious. But there is a certain enjoyment to going like the clappers towards a goal, pushing your time to the limit, and of course, the hopeful satisfaction of the payoff. Do your research, know what you’re capable of putting up, what you have planned in the real world, and what the cutoff is likely to be. Do not subject yourself to a pointless grind you have no hope succeeding in.

Well, I’ve got my Magneto. Now I just need to find the T4B, T1A, T2A and T4CC to rank him up. Good luck in your future grinds everyone, and if you don’t grind arena...

...congrats on doing something productive with your life I guess.

Stay safe out there.

Comments

• RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,762 ★★★★★
    Very insightful
    Quite the warrior you are
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Drake2078 said:

Cable better than Domino?

@KDSuperFlash10 made a post about it
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    edited October 2020
    Last Champ arena grind I remember was about 4.1 million points in the basic arena for a 4* Doom.
    Got him, then put up another 4 million for the awakening, lol
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    But yeah, these kind of hard grinds are pretty mind bending. Especially on Android, lol
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

Oh, and I hit 2 mil in the hero use solo event that was running the last 22 hours.

I may have used one or two champs

And of course, arena wins and perfect series show up now.

And here I am thinking my 1.1m score in that event was high
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★

the last time I grinded in arena was... last Halloween, now that I think about it. Put up like 1.6 million for a 3 star Guillotine 2099.

Do more of these, I loved this!

With the extension to 300, I might find myself doing some more featured 5* grinds

Now where is my Quake arena!?
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Congrats!

5* Quake grind 🔜?
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★

-sixate- said:

You overshot by quite a bit. I did my normal and got surprised and got him with only 24.2m

That hurt my heart a little bit.
    well, at least you have a story to tell for generations to come.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Oh, and I hit 2 mil in the hero use solo event that was running the last 22 hours.

I was proud of my 800 mil :(
    congrats!
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★

Lvernon15 said:

congrats!
    800 mil????????? Bro you got some explaining to do! 🤯🤯🤯
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

Lvernon15 said:

congrats!
    800 mil????????? Bro you got some explaining to do! 🤯🤯🤯
    Ya_Boi_28 said:

Lvernon15 said:

congrats!
    800 mil? Mods, GET HIM. He's botting.

Btw, Congrats Again! @Rockypantherx
    uh oh. bye guys!
  • -sixate--sixate- Posts: 1,532 ★★★★★

-sixate- said:

You overshot by quite a bit. I did my normal and got surprised and got him with only 24.2m

Haha! Sorry. I was quite surprised I got him. I was only going for the 2000 and 200 shards. But I'll gladly take the 20 sigs on my R5.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

Lvernon15 said:

congrats!
    800 mil? You using arena bots??? 😂
    -sixate- said:

-sixate- said:

Haha! Sorry. I was quite surprised I got him. I was only going for the 2000 and 200 shards. But I'll gladly take the 20 sigs on my R5.
    Yeah he went super, super low.

Maybe I should go for the awakening?

-sixate- said:

-sixate- said:

yes.

Have to ask, did your productivity in class go down at all?

-sixate- said:

-sixate- said:

yes.

Have to ask, did your productivity in class go down at all?
    No it’s an absolutely legitimate question.

I don’t think it did at all. Because my entire uni is online, everything is recorded, so I was still doing the same amount of work, I just adjusted when I did it to fit around the refreshes
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    I’d never throw a weekend down for a 5* imo. Especially an older one. I can do 10m+ with just 6* in a single day. It’s not worth giving kabam my entire weekend. Although with the increase of winners in the upcoming changes I might test my limits. So where I get without refreshes.
    edited December 2020
    CGR2020 said:

How many points did you grind?

a) stop. Seriously. Stop.
    b) he literally says if you read it