**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Has anybody enjoyed the abyss?

MeebletonMeebleton Posts: 552 ★★★
Personally I have no motivation to do abyss, it looks boring and repetitive and is topped off by the horrible collector fight. Plus it takes months worth of mind numbing arena grinding for the resources required to beat it.

However, a lot of people have beaten it. So to those that have, did you enjoy it?
Did you feel it was worth the time and effort to grind units for it? And if given the opportunity to do abyss again for no rewards, but you're given all the revives you need for it, would you do it?

Comments

• Was525Was525 Posts: 98
    It’s a lot of fun. Doing my last path on Tuesday
  • MeebletonMeebleton Posts: 552 ★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

I absolutely loved it, some of the most fun I’ve ever had in the game with the exception of a couple of fights, rewards are 100% worth the effort as well

What were the exceptions?
    And were there any fights you particularly enjoyed?
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    Despite having some gripes with the overall design of the Abyss, I had a blast on my run. Though I think it was likely because I spent the whole 8 hours with my friends and we were all hyped up lol. The rewards were more than worth it, boosted my account unimaginably, though there is still a decent luck factor (at least in the initial rewards).
  • JumpthesharkJumptheshark Posts: 242 ★★
    There is a lot of variety and interesting twists to fights. Sure they are long but many are fun. Definitely worth it. A worthy successor to labyrinth.
  • UvoginUvogin Posts: 345 ★★★
    I've done only 1 path but I absolutely enjoyed it. It's easy to get burnt out if you try to do the whole path in 1 sitting. I did it in over 24 hrs was a lot of fun especially the cosmic fights with Dr. Doom
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Anybody think it's possible to do an abyss easy path run without aegon or corvus?
  • MeebletonMeebleton Posts: 552 ★★★
    Kill_Grey said:

Anybody think it's possible to do an abyss easy path run without aegon or corvus?

I've seen people use Sabretooth with the Sasquatch synergy in place of Aegon
    Meebleton said:

Kill_Grey said:

I've seen people use Sabretooth with the Sasquatch synergy in place of Aegon
    Well, I don't have him either. But I've seen people use Stealthy, Nick, Ghost, Void as their main path clearers, and I have them all. I've also got the best mystic for the easy path in sym supreme, I've got she-hulk, sorcerer (I guess), and many others.
  • 16wegnerk16wegnerk Posts: 210 ★★
    I’ve done 2 paths so far and loved both of them. Prepping for my 3rd path, and love the challenge of selecting a path based on roster, and team based on path. Easily my favorite content so far (and i’ve 100% everything else)
  • TheMailmannTheMailmann Posts: 120 ★★
    edited November 2020
    I really enjoyed it, much more than Act 6 completion. Grinding for units was a bit time-consuming but you can do that within a month. If you have enough units and the champs required, it is quite enjoyable. I enjoyed most fights because Abyss easy path does not have complicated nodes like Act 6. Even the special attacks that you have to evade weren’t the difficult ones.

It definitely was worth the time and effort, after doing the easy path, I actually felt like grinding units for another path. But if you ask me would I do it again for no rewards, I don’t think that’s a fair question because I don’t think any of us would re-do a game mode that gives no rewards no matter how enjoyable. Opening the rewards is why we keep playing the game anyway. But to play another path for exploration purpose I would absolutely do it if I have enough units
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Do you want me to answer?

Alright then. I’ve done abyss completion. Used:

6* R2 Sabretooth
    4* R5 Sasquatch
    5* R5 Sym Supreme
    5* R5 Corvus
    5* R5 Void

It went pretty well, no units spent on the path. About 1k on the collector. My VTD fight totally bugged out so that wasn’t fun. Cyclops was a blast. Yeah overall it was fun I would say. Stupidly long, but that was to be expected
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Meebleton said:

Lvernon15 said:

I absolutely loved it, some of the most fun I’ve ever had in the game with the exception of a couple of fights, rewards are 100% worth the effort as well

Collector hood and red skull are the main exceptions, favourite fights were korg and yj (yes I’m a sadist) as well as vtd, most of the heal reversal fights and Karnak
  • OctoberstackOctoberstack Posts: 872 ★★★★
    Meebleton said:

Personally I have no motivation to do abyss, it looks boring and repetitive and is topped off by the horrible collector fight. Plus it takes months worth of mind numbing arena grinding for the resources required to beat it.

However, a lot of people have beaten it. So to those that have, did you enjoy it?
    Did you feel it was worth the time and effort to grind units for it? And if given the opportunity to do abyss again for no rewards, but you're given all the revives you need for it, would you do it?

I finished exploring it a few weeks ago. It was about 6 months between the first path and my last. The first path definitely felt a bit tedious, but once I got used to the general style and longevity of the fights I actually quite enjoyed the other four.

Lots of soloable/cheesable fights. I think the only fight I didn’t particularly enjoy was P99.

I think what I enjoyed the most about it was the prep and planning. Drawing up spreadsheets, mapping custom paths, researching fights strategies and crafting an optimum team - I tend to find stuff like this quite fun. But I can definitely see why some may feel differently.
    Personally, I felt it was a very rewarding experience overall, especially since I managed to pull my most wanted (Doom) from the Abyss Nexus.

I didn’t really have to resort to “months of mind numbing arena grinding” either - I just used spare energy to farm revives for 2-3 weeks, and relied on my free 4hr crystals for potions. Across all 5 paths, I spent a total of 0 units on revives/potions, and around 700-800 units on mastery swaps.
    Kill_Grey said:

Haji_Saab said:

Yes, I enjoyed it until now. Except for Green Goblin, Red skull and Luke Cage fights.

But Act 6 was more enjoyable because Abyss requires unit / revive usage as a must whereas Act 6 can be done without units spend. Also shorter paths.

So you're saying you've explored act 6 unitless in under 5 years? 🧐
    Act 6 absolutely doesn’t require units. *Pre-nerf* I explored it just using expiring revives and potions as I was still saving units for July 4th offers at the time.

Post-nerf, unit usage is definitely not required to explore with the right approach and sufficient practice.
    Lvernon15 said:

Meebleton said:

Lvernon15 said:

Collector hood and red skull are the main exceptions, favourite fights were korg and yj (yes I’m a sadist) as well as vtd, most of the heal reversal fights and Karnak
    I found the Red Skull fight to be very fun, NF consistently took him down in 2-4 revives. Collector was also quite enjoyable once I got a handle on dexing his specials.

Kill_Grey said:

Haji_Saab said:

Yes, I enjoyed it until now. Except for Green Goblin, Red skull and Luke Cage fights.

But Act 6 was more enjoyable because Abyss requires unit / revive usage as a must whereas Act 6 can be done without units spend. Also shorter paths.

Act 6 absolutely doesn’t require units. *Pre-nerf* I explored it just using expiring revives and potions as I was still saving units for July 4th offers at the time.

Post-nerf, unit usage is definitely not required to explore with the right approach and sufficient practice.
    Sounds suspicious 🧐
    Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Haji_Saab said:

Sounds suspicious 🧐
    If you spend a while constantly restarting paths until you get what you consider a “good” run, you’ll get a lot of practice fighting through tricky fights. This will refine your approach, give you ideas for better counters, and generally get you more comfortable with handling annoying defenders and nodes.

Sometimes a single path would have me stuck for a week or two. I’d often have a perfect path run, KO my team to the boss, and just quit if I didn’t have spare revives on hand.

Revives and potions are readily available through resource farming, it just seems silly to waste units on them. I’d much rather save units for things that are only purchasable with units, like seasonal deals and mastery swaps.

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Haji_Saab said:

Sounds suspicious 🧐
    If you spend a while constantly restarting paths until you get what you consider a “good” run, you’ll get a lot of practice fighting through tricky fights. This will refine your approach, give you ideas for better counters, and generally get you more comfortable with handling annoying defenders and nodes.

Sometimes a single path would have me stuck for a week or two. I’d often have a perfect path run, KO my team to the boss, and just quit if I didn’t have spare revives on hand.

Revives and potions are readily available through resource farming, it just seems silly to waste units on them. I’d much rather save units for things that are only purchasable with units, like seasonal deals and mastery swaps.
    Sorry man, still sounds pretty damn suspicious 🧐

But on a serious note, that would take so many restarts. I'd prefer to save my time in that regard since the units are supposed to be used for something, and not just piling up for nothing. Spending units on "deals" is now seemingly redundant for non-thronebreakers as we've seen. As for Mastery resets, IDK about those.
    Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Kill_Grey said:

Haji_Saab said:

Sounds suspicious 🧐

Sorry man, still sounds pretty damn suspicious 🧐

But on a serious note, that would take so many restarts. I'd prefer to save my time in that regard since the units are supposed to be used for something, and not just piling up for nothing. Spending units on "deals" is now seemingly redundant for non-thronebreakers as we've seen. As for Mastery resets, IDK about those.
    That’s alright, I’m not really here to convince anyone - just trying to pass on some advice for dealing with content. Though if you’re curious, I do have a series of screenshots marking my progress through the latter parts of Act 6 (concurrently showing my July 4th prep unit stash) - if you’d like to see, I’m more than happy to post here.

And sure, some people would prefer to spend units to save time and move through content a bit quicker - I’ve always been the type of person who doesn’t mind taking their time. Even if it does take more restarts, I’ve learnt so much along the way by repeating tricky fights. Very grateful for the learning experience, even if it meant that it took me longer than many to explore it.

Seasonal deals are still very important to me as I don’t really spend much on the game, so it’s my primary source of “windfall” pulls and resources. Being TB helps in that regards I guess.

As for mastery swaps, I’ve been playing Tier 1 wars for a while now, so I usually spend at least 65-120 units per war to reset masteries for defence and offence. Would much rather save my units to do that than buy resources that are easily farmable.