**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How does Guardian's autoblock work? πŸ€”

Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
edited December 2020 in Strategy and Tips
Don't mind me, just wondering out of curiousity. I'm pretty new to the character and wanna know if it applies on any hit of the special, or only takes the first hit of the opponent's special into account.
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    how it procs or if it applies to every hit
  • Silver_GooseSilver_Goose Posts: 488 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Any hit that you perform a well-timed block to gives you around .5 seconds of guaranteed perfect blocks. You can well timed block multiple times.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Moot4Life said:

how it procs or if it applies to every hit

wanna know if it applies on any hit of the special, or only takes the first hit of the opponent's special into account.
    right so idk either but

and his auto block counts as a well timed block
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Any hit that you perform a well-timed block to gives you around .5 seconds of guaranteed perfect blocks. You can well timed block multiple times.

They said autoblock not perfect block
  • Silver_GooseSilver_Goose Posts: 488 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Moot4Life said:

They said autoblock not perfect block
    oops
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Maratox said:

He can only autoblock while he has an armor up buff and he gains a 15% chance per force field charge to autoblock up to a 75% chance. He also gains an extra flat 15% chance against mutants if the special is unblockable. If you check out auntm.ai they explain it.

Lol, I wanna know it it works like Medusa's perfect block where it's stated she autoblocks the second hit in a combo or something. Like if I'm fighting apoc boss in AQ, and I try to well-time block the subsequent hits of the special and miss, is there a chance for autoblock? Or is it only application for a situation where I ran into the first hit for instance?
    Nobody? :(
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited December 2020
    Kill_Grey said:

Maratox said:

He can only autoblock while he has an armor up buff and he gains a 15% chance per force field charge to autoblock up to a 75% chance. He also gains an extra flat 15% chance against mutants if the special is unblockable. If you check out auntm.ai they explain it.

Lol, I wanna know it it works like Medusa's perfect block where it's stated she autoblocks the second hit in a combo or something. Like if I'm fighting apoc boss in AQ, and I try to well-time block the subsequent hits of the special and miss, is there a chance for autoblock? Or is it only application for a situation where I ran into the first hit for instance?
    There is a chance to autoblock depending on the number of charges you have, but I would not depend on that as a mechanic since it is rng based. You can reparry multiple times and still get the perfect block.

Sorry, read it the second time, and yes there is a chance to autoblock. But, its not a dependable mechanic. 90% chance against mutants at max, so its not guaranteed.

Pulyaman said:

Kill_Grey said:

Maratox said:

There is a chance to autoblock depending on the number of charges you have, but I would not depend on that as a mechanic since it is rng based. You can reparry multiple times and still get the perfect block

It's pretty hard to nail against a champ like P99. I've failed to well-time block the beams many times, but the autoblock has never come into play to save me.
    Kill_Grey said:

Pulyaman said:

Kill_Grey said:

Maratox said:

There is a chance to autoblock depending on the number of charges you have, but I would not depend on that as a mechanic since it is rng based. You can reparry multiple times and still get the perfect block

It's pretty hard to nail against a champ like P99. I've failed to well-time block the beams many times, but the autoblock has never come into play to save me.
    Against apocalypse, you can maybe bring in Magneto marvel now and gain the 10% ability accuracy to make it guaranteed, I think it will work. Against punisher2099, it is again a chance. You can still parry the first projectile and he can perfect block the first 3 hits I think. Still better than nothing.
    Pulyaman said:

Kill_Grey said:

Pulyaman said:

Kill_Grey said:

Maratox said:

Against apocalypse, you can maybe bring in Magneto marvel now and gain the 10% ability accuracy to make it guaranteed, I think it will work. Against punisher2099, it is again a chance. You can still parry the first projectile and he can perfect block the first 3 hits I think. Still better than nothing.
    Lol, I forgot about that synergy.

And like I said, those P99 projectiles are surprisingly hard to parry. Considering that most projectile specials nowadays have a melee hit as the first strike, which you would normally dodge. If Guardian's autoblock is coded to only register on the first hit of specials, then the overall value of it is massively gimped imo.
    Faseeh said:

Kill_Grey said:

Pulyaman said:

Kill_Grey said:

Maratox said:

Did you have force field charges?
    Yes.
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited December 2020
    Duel him and let him build some force fields.
    Stun him and launch a special attack. Use champs with special attack duration longer than parry stun.
    If he auto blocks after the stun you'll get your answer.
    Djin said:

Stun him and launch a special attack. Use champs with special attack duration longer than parry stun.

Oh yeah, this makes a lot of sense lol.
    Daphboy said:

They said they fixed it a few months back because at launch he would only auto block on the first hit of the special, so if you dex the first hit no matter what he wouldn’t autoblock. I don’t think the fix ever fixed it thoughπŸ˜‘

I see. Well that's a bummer...
    I say forget about the autoblock, Munash actually posted a video of gaurdian against darkhawk where he dexed the first hit and parried the beams of sp1. Dark hawk sp1 has 4 hits on the beam and he got perfect block for 3 hits. That is the best strategy rather than relying on rng
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    The autoblock is for defense. You have to parry sp attacks to get most out of guardian.
    Pulyaman said:

I say forget about the autoblock, Munash actually posted a video of gaurdian against darkhawk where he dexed the first hit and parried the beams of sp1. Dark hawk sp1 has 4 hits on the beam and he got perfect block for 3 hits. That is the best strategy rather than relying on rng

I know how the perfect block mechanic works, lol. I'm saying the functionality of the safety net of the autoblock feels redundant.
  • Xguard77Xguard77 Posts: 554 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Guardian's Perfect Block works for the entire chain of a special. I use him all the time against Apoc in AQ - just keep holding block and as long as you nailed the perfect block timing you won't take damage from his SP1.

I think the design strategy of perfect block had attacker in mind, and autoblock had defender in mind. Using him on offense I very rarely have autoblock triggering - but as a war defender it makes him much more difficult to fight.

Djin said:

I tried this and it worked. Although, I'm still not getting it on offense.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,286 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Auto blocks are all perfect blocks, but perfect blocks are not auto blocks.
    Xguard77 said:

Guardian's Perfect Block works for the entire chain of a special. I use him all the time against Apoc in AQ - just keep holding block and as long as you nailed the perfect block timing you won't take damage from his SP1.

I think the design strategy of perfect block had attacker in mind, and autoblock had defender in mind. Using him on offense I very rarely have autoblock triggering - but as a war defender it makes him much more difficult to fight.

I agree, I have not noticed autoblock triggering at all. Even today, when I had 5 charges, I 'let' the defender trigger their special and didn't touch the screen at all. I took the hit on the chin, as opposed to autoblock. Sure, at 5 charges that could just be RNG resulting in me not autoblocking, but I haven't noticed it triggering in general.

Since Perfect blocks result in power gain, there might be something to prevent some kind of power gain abuse via autoblock. But that it just a random theory.

Yeah man, autoblock simply isn't triggering. Tried even with 3 Quakes and a hawkeye on the team that gives ~30% increased ability accuracy, but it's still not triggering unless it's the first hit.