**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

What to do with my 5* shards?

IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
Currently, I have a 5* wolverine at rank 3, and a maxed 5* archangel. I really want apocalypse. At the same time, I also want to grow my roster for the better, especially to find someone to do 6.2.2. what should I do with my shards?

What to do with my 5* shards? 26 votes

Basics. You have a better chance of getting a good champ
34%
SavageBreaker69Skillful_starMaratoxSpideyFunkohermZacorixzNalak8Salve_maker05LBN1 9 votes
Skill/mutant dual. Still chance for apoc, but you could also get another good mutant/skill champ
46%
DNA3000cx23433QacobProximaMidnight_8Sarvanga1_Ewell65SSS69Adil08HoitadoTheBair123AdamBrewHerohanoiLORDSPOOKY66 12 votes
Featured 5*. Apocalypse all the way!
19%
Luke9523Pricelessodishika123UOG5DarkLord8470 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    hermherm Posts: 415 ★★
    apocalypse is great for 7.1 but honestly, I didn't use him much for my act 6 completion run. Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely amazing to have, but if you're going for act 6 completion, you're gonna need more than just a stupidly strong mutant roster
  • Options
    TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    Skill/mutant dual. Still chance for apoc, but you could also get another good mutant/skill champ
    I mean other than Apoc, you can pull someone like Nick Fury, Magneto, Aegon, and others. Also you could get someone like Iceman or Omega who are poison immune to do 6.2.2
  • Options

I mean other than Apoc, you can pull someone like Nick Fury, Magneto, Aegon, and others. Also you could get someone like Iceman or Omega who are poison immune to do 6.2.2

I already have mags and NF as 5*s, but you do have a point
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Hearing your reasons, I think I’m going to stick to basics. Hope I can pull apoc soon! Just pulled taskmaster so not starting it off too strong
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    basics have given me Mags, quake, Symbiote supreme, and Namor among others

they are the way to go
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    If you're willing to put the thought into it, you should always pull dual class crystals. If not, at your level of progress it sounds like you're at I would continue to pull basics.

Here's the thing about dual class crystals: they are always better than basics. Always. Here's why. Imagine that the basic crystal is a bowl that we throw all the champs into and you reach in blindfolded and pick one. The bowl has some good, some okay, some bad options. The overall value of the bowl depends on what's inside it. Now we take all the champions out and separate them into three bowls: a Sci/Mystic one, a Mutant/Skill one, and a Tech/Cosmic one. The value inside that bowl has now been separated into three bowls. How likely is it that the value of the original bowl was perfectly evenly divided among those three bowls? Not likely.

However you value champs, whatever your roster looks like, whatever you personally need, one of those bowls probably got more of the value than the others. In fact, the value of the original bowl is really just the average of the three newer bowls. So they cannot all be worse. Either they are all perfectly equal, or at least one bowl must be below average and one must be above average. In other words, at least one bowl must be worth more than the original, and at least one must be worth less.

If you can figure out what that is for your specific account, you can always pick the dual class crystal that is worth more than the basic. And as you pull champs, the best option might change over time, but unless all three are perfectly tied, one will always be better than the basic and one will always be worse. This may take more time to think about than most people want to put into it, and if that's the case then the best choices is to pull the basic crystal, because in effect this means you will always be getting the average case. If you try to pick dual class crystals without thinking, you could be picking the worst case. And the more you pick one dual class crystal, the more likely it is to become the worst case if you happened to pick the best case, because it is more likely to move towards the average than away from it as you pull more champs from it. it is more likely to "deplete" with successive pulls.

So min/maxers that really want to think about value should always open dual class crystals. Everyone else should probably open basics, unless there's something you really really really want to target. In that case, its your game: do what's most fun to you.
  • Options
    Nalak8Nalak8 Posts: 387 ★★★
    edited March 2021
    Requires reading this twice but makes perfect sense! I mean DNA3000’s post.
  • Options
    LORDSPOOKY66LORDSPOOKY66 Posts: 293 ★★
    I pulled apoc out of a 5 star dualie
  • Options
    TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    As long as you have your utility covered, go for whatever is more fun. I mean do that anyways, but the meta move is to get your utility covered first.
  • Options
    HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    Definitely Skill and Mutant