Champion Spotlight - Howard the Duck (2021 Update)

About Howard the Duck
When Howard was whisked away from his detective agency in New York City to the Battlerealm, he didn’t know what to expect. He certainly didn’t expect to be shoved into some back warehouse, organizing the Collector’s Crystals all day. Well, an insult like this won’t just run off this duck’s back. He’s “borrowed” a spare ISO-Loader, made some upgrades, and attached an old friend; his famous Big Freaking Gun. It’s time for Howard to introduce these so-called Champions to the ultimate fighting style of his home universe, Quack-Fu!

Howard the Duck's Mechanics

Howard the Duck is all about the long game. His Fury, Armor Break, Suppression and Heal Block abilities drastically reduce his Opponent’s survivability, while his Dormant Armor grants longevity-boosting Armor Up Buffs. Itchy block finger? Howard’s MASH! ability rewards the skilled and unskilled alike by improving the aforementioned abilities through the ancient art of button mashing. Howard’s Signature Ability further improves upon his survivability by improving Critical Resistance and reducing incoming Debuff duration.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  6306  469  1824
 4-Star  15508  1176  4705
 5-Star  31703  2358  10510
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  40851  3038  13510

Character Class: Tech

Basic Abilities: Fury, Armor, Suppress, Armor Break, Heal Block, Stun

STRENGTHS:
  • Anti-Heal
  • Heal Block application readily available in his SP1 allows Howard to shut down healers.

• Armor Break
  • Easily handle Armor Up champions with just a few Heavy Attacks.

• Long Fights
  • The longer the fight, the more time to build up your Fury and Armor Breaks. Howard can amass tons of damage in extended bouts.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Mystic Champions
  • Plenty of Buffs means plenty of Power for Mystic champions. Be careful not to eat a SP3!

• Debuff Shrug
  • Howard gets a lot of utility and bonus damage from his debuffs. Champions with Purify abilities will be a bane to our feathered friend.

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

Always Active
  • The Bulky ISO-Loader suit provides Immunity to Bleed effects.
  • Howard’s personal Buffs and Debuffs each expire 1 at a time.
Developer’s Note: The key to Howard's new kit is paying attention to how his abilities fall off now. All of his effects falling off one at a time means stacking his effects makes them more potent, it also effectively increases the duration of each effect as well.

Button Masher Extraordinaire
  • Rapidly pressing the Block button at different times in the fight grants Howard special MASH! Bonuses. Each MASH! bonus requires more presses of the Block button than the last within the same window.
  • In the Pre-Fight Menu, Howard can activate the Auto-Masher which lasts for the duration of the fight. While Auto-Masher is active, all MASH! Bonuses will be handled automatically for Howard.
  • While fighting as a Defender, Auto-Masher is always active.
Developer’s Note: Summon your inner masher. I’ve found the best way to mash is to rock the device back and forth in your hands :)

Before the Fight Starts
  • Gain 1 indefinite Dormant Armor. MASH! Gain additional Dormant Armors. When the fight starts each Dormant Armor is converted into an indefinite Armor Up Buff, increasing Armor Rating by +259.55.
While Either Champion is Stunned
  • 100% chance to gain a Fury Buff, increasing Attack Rating by +235.8 for 10 seconds. Max Stacks: 50. MASH! Gain additional Fury Buffs.
Developer’s Note: More Mash = more damage. Maybe I’ll just take the Encroaching Stun next time and grab some extra Fury.

Heavy Attacks
  • 100% chance to inflict an Armor Break Debuff, removing an Armor Up Buff and reducing Armor Rating by 76.17 for 5 seconds. Max Stacks: 10. MASH! Additional hits can inflict additional Armor Break Debuffs.

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1 - Unarmed Attack
  • 100% chance to inflict 2 Heal Block Debuffs, each lasting 2.50 seconds. MASH! Inflict additional Heal Block Debuffs.

Special 2 - B.F.G Surprise
  • 80% chance to inflict a Suppression Debuff, reducing Combat Power Rate by 10% for 4 seconds. MASH! Additional hits can inflict additional Suppression Debuffs.

Special 3 - Junkyard Smackdown
  • 100% chance to inflict a 3 second Stun Debuff.
  • If Howard gets a Perfect result in the Special 3 Mini Game, this Stun Debuff becomes a Passive and lasts 4 seconds.

Signature Ability - Quack-Fu
  • Always Active:
  • If Howard is fighting in any fight with a Class Advantage, he breaks out his legendary Quack-Fu to gain the following:
  • Critical Resistance equal to 40% of Howard’s Armor Rating.
  • Base Ability Accuracy of 115% instead of the normal 100%
  • Incoming Debuffs suffer -1.3 second(s) duration.
Developer’s Note: Anyone know some annoying Mutants that reduce your Ability Accuracy by 15% or Stun you for 1.3 seconds?

SYNERGY BONUSES
Friends – 2-star and up - With She-Hulk, Rocket Raccoon
  • All Champions gain +70/95/130 Armor Rating

Teammates – 2-star and up - With Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Dragon Man, Man-Thing
  • All Champions gain +3/4/5% Perfect Block Chance

Nemesis – 3-star and up - With M.O.D.O.K., Psycho-Man
  • All Champions gain +5/6% Attack

We Ain’t No Punchline – Unique – 4-star and up- With Gwenpool, Spider-Ham, Goldpool
  • Howard the Duck: Critical Hits Pause all personal Debuffs for 0.5 seconds.
  • Other Synergy Champions: +20% Taunt, Incinerate & Bleed Debuff duration.

New York Brawlers – Unique – 4-star and up- With Daredevil (Hell’s Kitchen), Doctor Strange, Luke Cage, Spider-Man (Stealth Suit)
  • Howard the Duck: Opponent Suffers -65% Evade Ability Accuracy.
  • Other Synergy Champions: Up to +15% Attack Rating, based on missing health.

Not So Uncanny – Unique – 4-star and up- With Gambit, Bishop, Storm (Pyramid X), Platinumpool
  • Howard the Duck: Knocking the opponent down removes all their Prowess effects and grants Howard 1 Prowess Buff for each effect removed this way, each increasing Special Attack Damage by 10% for 10 seconds.
  • Other Synergy Champions: +12% Prowess duration and Potency

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Despair
  • While already sporting a Heal Block in his SP1, Howard’s varying assortment of Debuffs will ensure that the opponent’s healing is always under control.

Collar Tech
  • Combined with Howard’s SP2 Suppress, you can be certain that the opponent's power bar will be an afterthought.
Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• RotellyRotelly Posts: 681 ★★★
    @Kabam Zibiit what about synergies with Tigra and Man-Thing?
  • Amazing_Demon05Amazing_Demon05 Posts: 2,778 ★★★★
    Rotelly said:

they are Tigra and man'thing's synergy so they dont need to mention it in his spotlight
    Rotelly said:

Rotelly said:

they are Tigra and man'thing's synergy so they dont need to mention it in his spotlight
    They are no longer relevant synergies
    ok i just realized that damn
  • Venomblasted_0622Venomblasted_0622 Posts: 14
    Wish they had kept his abilities when fighting different classes except made them easier to access. Oh well.
  • BendyBendy Posts: 1,681 ★★★★
    Couldnt we of at least kept sp2 applying other debuffs but supression and his sig to actually effecting everything than changing it to work with advantage as this means u mainly want to use in mutant match ups
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 3,547 ★★★★★
    Rotelly said:

Rotelly said:

They are no longer relevant synergies
    They might get changed to fit his New Kit like how Emma/Omega's were when Colossus was Buffed.
  • BendyBendy Posts: 1,681 ★★★★

He sounds fun as hell and has some Great Synergies.

Looks like a Very Solid Rework without anything Super Super Complicated, though it left some things unexplained the how the Mash Ability affects each listed Ability. Like is there a Counter we Build Up or is it a Persistent Charge Thing, how much MASH can be built up?
    Also did he lose his Self-Repair/Thunderquack Ability?

Sig got a full change so seems no self repair or thunderquack
  • Nightkiller7312Nightkiller7312 Posts: 201 ★★
    He will be awful in stun immune nodes
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,860 ★★★★★

He sounds fun as hell and has some Great Synergies.

Looks like a Very Solid Rework without anything Super Super Complicated, though it left some things unexplained the how the Mash Ability affects each listed Ability. Like is there a Counter we Build Up or is it a Persistent Charge Thing, how much MASH can be built up?
    Also did he lose his Self-Repair/Thunderquack Ability?

It's an overhaul so he was rebuilt from scratch.
  • Drew_D23Drew_D23 Posts: 96
    What's the point of him having two Heal Block debuffs instead of one, I genuinely don't get it.
  • MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Posts: 411 ★★★
    Drew_D23 said:

What's the point of him having two Heal Block debuffs instead of one, I genuinely don't get it.

If you fight champs that shrug off rebuffs they will likely not be able to get rid of all of them if stacked. Like Elsa does 1 every 2.5 seconds or Moleman uses up monster mass to shrug them off. So stack 2 and one remains.
  • RotellyRotelly Posts: 681 ★★★

Drew_D23 said:

If you fight champs that shrug off rebuffs they will likely not be able to get rid of all of them if stacked. Like Elsa does 1 every 2.5 seconds or Moleman uses up monster mass to shrug them off. So stack 2 and one remains.
    If you read his description, they fall off one at a time. So if you stack 8 armor breaks they fall off one at a time.....
  • JahnybravoJahnybravo Posts: 68
    I love all of this but my OCD nerd brain can't help but notice Spidey (Stealth Suit) is in the New York Brawlers synergy even tho that's the suit he wore in Europe. Not complaining, just pointing it out :#
  • GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 113
    I'm kind of confused regarding the auto-masher.

Is there any benefit that manually mashing offers if you can make the game mash for you?
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 2,174 ★★★★★
    Looks like very fun champion with unique playstyle. Even if he sucks, I will enjoy playing him
  • ChobblyChobbly Posts: 168
    Looks like a fun buff to me, but I'm not convinced on paper that it's enough to make him 5* rank 5 worthy. The synergies look interesting though.

The problem for me is I've got other tech champs which will fill out my roster better and help with content completion.
  • Nightkiller7312Nightkiller7312 Posts: 201 ★★
    Please change fury gain from stun to parry so we can use him in stun immune and limber node wish they had kept some of his abilities
  • mbracembrace Posts: 507 ★★
    I thought that the MASH mechanic was going to get annoying to have to do, but it appears that you can set auto-MASH for every fight. Now I think I’m going to use this champ. He looks like a damage dealing Swiss Army knife, especially with his evade counter synergy.
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 931 ★★★★

I'm kind of confused regarding the auto-masher.

Is there any benefit that manually mashing offers if you can make the game mash for you?

We don't know how fast the auto masher works, maybe it does a mash once every 0.5 seconds. I'm assuming you can tap your screen faster than twice per second. We'll see how quick it goes when he goes live, but i'm betting any regular human will be able to squeeze out more mashes than the bot - but of course some people won't want to or maybe they'll worry for their phones screen so they'll opt for the auto masher perhaps.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 3,401 ★★★★★
    My perspective on mashing is that the manual method will let you use it when needed. If you use it constantly it sounds like you reduce the potency of it over time. Says you have to mash more after each use to get same effect. It might be that the auto method just gives a lessened potency of whichever effect you want?

My perspective on mashing is that the manual method will let you use it when needed. If you use it constantly it sounds like you reduce the potency of it over time. Says you have to mash more after each use to get same effect. It might be that the auto method just gives a lessened potency of whichever effect you want?

on the other hand I feel like the auto method is like as if someone was mashing buttons all the time all over the pkace even when we are standing still

and if thats true then after each effect wouldnt the auto method generate highest mash available within that time frame? unless ofcourse our fingers are faster than the auto method at mashing which it could be

howard is gonna be such a new method to play i cant wait for the update anymore