**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why wasn't V7 2018 rank up gems instead of 2017?

ShinyuuShinyuu Posts: 284 ★★★
@Kabam Miike I have a question. Why wasn't V7 the 2018 rank up gems instead of 2017 again? If you look back at all of the other variants it went every 2 variants it goes up a year. V1 and V2 were 2015, V3 and V4 were 2016, V5 and V6 were 2017, and now V7 is also 2017. So like I said why weren't the rewards for V7 the 2018 gems because I know a lot of people are wanting those because 2018 had some amazing champs released they'd probably like to rank up.

Comments

• ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,083 ★★★★★
    Agreed
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Shinyuu said:

Raichu626 said:

Imagine a hypothetical scenario of a very unlucky player, who only pulled science year based rank up gems, and no other class. With V1-4 combined, they'd have 12 gems, with 16 champs released before 2016. If V3 had also given 2015 gems, and then V5&6 had been 2016, that player would've had 9 gems for the 12 2015 champs, and 9 gems for the now left over 7 champs released before the end of 2016, aka 2 too many gems. That's why the years changed every other variant, because given the amount of players, this scenario is pretty likely to happen eventually.

But the new gems from V5 and up are generic, so this problem doesn't really exist anymore. They could keep releasing more 2017 gems for several more Variant without the risk of players getting more gems than there exist champions for those gems. (Subtracting the 12 champs from the first 4 Variants, there are about 90 champions released before the end of 2017, which would be enough for 30 Variants with 2017 generic rank up gems)

So you think they should just stay at 2017 gems and never go up to 2018 or beyond and also you're wrong because some can't even do exploration of V7 because they still have their 2017 gems from V6 because when you go to rank up 2017 and below champs and you actually have class based gems they want you to use those instead and people don't want to use a class based gem that could be used on a 2018 or beyond champ when they have these 2017 gems.
    I didn't say I wanted them to stay at 2017 forever, I just explained why they probably didn't change the gems this time. I actually think they should stop putting year based gems into variants completely until they figure out how to let us use them properly.
  • Xva23Xva23 Posts: 500 ★★★
    Raichu626 said:

Imagine a hypothetical scenario of a very unlucky player, who only pulled science year based rank up gems, and no other class. With V1-4 combined, they'd have 12 gems, with 16 champs released before 2016. If V3 had also given 2015 gems, and then V5&6 had been 2016, that player would've had 9 gems for the 12 2015 champs, and 9 gems for the now left over 7 champs released before the end of 2016, aka 2 too many gems. That's why the years changed every other variant, because given the amount of players, this scenario is pretty likely to happen eventually.

But the new gems from V5 and up are generic, so this problem doesn't really exist anymore. They could keep releasing more 2017 gems for several more Variant without the risk of players getting more gems than there exist champions for those gems. (Subtracting the 12 champs from the first 4 Variants, there are about 90 champions released before the end of 2017, which would be enough for 30 Variants with 2017 generic rank up gems)

Based on this id say it would be fair if every 3 variants went up a year, so I guess we'll.see
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    The next variant could give you 2015 gems. Or it could give you no gems, and instead reward you with triple the amount of shards.

Nothing was promised, nothing is due.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    Shinyuu said:

The ones who clicked disagree I'd love to see how you do because if they have done all the others every 2 variants it goes up a year on the rank up gems then how can you disagree that V7 should have not been 2018 gems?

There are very good champs in 2017 as I have already mentioned in the v7 announcement thread. If you need to rank up 2018 champs, use the cats available. No one actually wants the difficulty to increase even slightly, but want the rewards to improve all the time. I see no logic in that.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    Shinyuu said:

Raichu626 said:

So you think they should just stay at 2017 gems and never go up to 2018 or beyond and also you're wrong because some can't even do exploration of V7 because they still have their 2017 gems from V6 because when you go to rank up 2017 and below champs and you actually have class based gems they want you to use those instead and people don't want to use a class based gem that could be used on a 2018 or beyond champ when they have these 2017 gems.
    Holy run-on sentence, Batman. Here’s what I think: variant 8 rewards should match variants 5-7. Starting with variant 9, there should be a meaningful rework of rewards and difficulty to keep up with the meta, and the change should include 4-5 gems for 2015-17 champs instead of 3-4 gems.

EQ, SQ and the glory store updates mean that we can all be neck-deep in rankup resources. If you were holding a top tier 2018 champ at r3 for more than 2 weeks waiting for this variant, you’re probably making all kinds of indefensible roster decisions. We can’t help you anyway.

They’re reworking champs every month, which creates additional worthy candidates for these gems. Old champs got special releases as 5-stars. The uses are there.
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Xva23 said:

Raichu626 said:

Based on this id say it would be fair if every 3 variants went up a year, so I guess we'll.see
    They're also planning to release a Variant every 4 months/3 per year, so that would make a lot of sense. Otherwise they'd catch up to the present