Champion Spotlight - Black Panther (Classic)

About Black Panther (Classic)
The King of the reclusive but technologically-advanced African nation Wakanda, King T’Challa’s birthright is not only to rule but to don the mantle of the Black Panther, a powerful warrior and symbol to his people. T’Challa will aggressively defend his country and citizens against any threat, no matter how menacing.

Black Panther's Mechanics

Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and BLEED. Darting around The Contest, Black Panther excels at playing aggressive and fast. Intercept the opponent and land tons of critical hits to watch your opponents HP bar melt away.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  6245  458  1563
 4-Star  15660  1148  3920
 5-Star  31398  2301  10510
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  40458  2965  13510

Character Class: Skill

Basic Abilities: Bleed, Precision, Cruelty, Panther’s Might

STRENGTHS:
  • Bleed Damage
  • Black Panther packs a ton of Bleed Damage with his new update!

• Debuff Shrug
  • With his Signature Ability Black Panther can shrug off any Debuffs a defender might throw his way.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Bleed Immune Champions
  • A lot of the new Black Panther’s Damage comes from his frequent bleed debuffs, a Bleed Immune opponent will net a large loss in damage.

• Power Gain abilities
  • Looking for intercepts all day means Black Panther wants his opponents at low power as often as possible. Be careful against opponents with lots of power gain!

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

Critical Hits:
  • Critical Hits have 100% Chance to apply a Bleed dealing 1035.45 direct damage over 6 seconds.
Dev Note: This update to Black Panther (Classic) includes the majority of his original kit - plus chances to rack up bleed damage!

All Attacks:
  • 100% Chance to gain a Cruelty Passive granting +158 Critical Damage Rating for 1.25 second(s). These Cruelty Passives fall off one at a time. Max Stacks: 15
  • Intercepting the Opponent or striking them while they are recovering from a Heavy or Special Attack grants an additional Cruelty Passive.
  • While striking into an Auto-Block, Panther is Immune to Stun.
Dev Note: Black Panther’s Cruelty is going to be an important part of every fight, so make sure to stay on the aggressive side so you can keep 15 floating the whole fight!

Panther's Might - Inactive Charges
  • Dashing back after a non-combo ending attack will grant 1 Indefinite Inactive Panther's Might Charge. Max: 5 Charges.
  • Inactive Panthers Might Charges cannot be gained while Panther’s Might is Active.
Dev Note: Instead of your regular 5-hit combo, try dashing out early after 2-3 hits to gain 1 charge. Then, dash back in for a draft-back and race to 5 charges! More charges = more duration spent in Panther’s Might.

Panther's Might
  • Landing a Heavy Attack while at 3 or more Inactive charges grants Panther’s Might for 3 seconds per charge consumed.
  • Upon Activation: Gain 1 Precision Passive for each Personal Cruelty Passive active, each increasing Critical Rating by +87.5.
  • Intercepting the Opponent or hitting an Opponent recovering from a Heavy or Special Attack pauses Panther's Might for 5 seconds.
  • Pause all Personal Cruelty Passives.
  • While Active:
  • Bleed Debuffs gain +8% Duration for each Personal Cruelty Active on Black Panther.
  • Attacks reduce opponents Defensive Ability Accuracy by 50%.
Dev Note: Defenders aren’t going to like Black Panther when he’s angry. Punish the opponent’s Special Attacks, and land Intercepts wherever you can to stay in Panther’s Might for as long as possible!

Special Attack 1 & 2
  • Intercepting the opponent: Each hit of this Attack is a Guaranteed Critical Hit and apply an additional Bleed Debuff.

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1 - Roundhouse
  • Gain 3 Inactive Panther's Might charges. Then consume all charges and enter Panther's Might for 5 seconds per charge consumed.
Dev Note: For those fights where you can’t seem to land a Heavy Attack, or the opponent is Stun Immune, you can use the Special 1 as an alternative to extend Panther’s Might!

Special 2 - Panther Strike
  • This Attack gains +115.05 Attack Rating for each Personal Cruelty Active on Black Panther.
Dev Note: Intercept with the Sp2 during Panther’s Might and you’re going to be dealing a TON of Bleed damage.

Special 3 - For Wakanda!
  • Inflicts up to 5 Bleed Debuffs, with each having a 100% chance to apply, and dealing 805.35 direct damage over 15 seconds.
  • Refresh the Duration of Panther’s Might.
Dev Note: In fights where you want to maintain Panther’s Might the whole fight - throw a Special 3 instead of a Special 1 or 2. Or, if you need to keep your opponent’s Defensive Ability Accuracy down, land a Special 3 and put your mind at ease.

Signature Ability - For Wakanda!
  • Intercepting the Opponent has 100% Chance to Purify one of each Debuff from Black Panther. Cooldown 1.04 seconds.
  • Each Bleed Debuff on the Opponent decreases their Defensive Ability Accuracy by 10.05%. Max 5 Bleeds.
Dev Note: Pair the Bleed Defensive Ability Accuracy with Panther’s Might and you’re going to be keeping your opponent’s Abilities in check for the whole fight! On demand Purify for one of each Debuff on him is also a great tool to help with any fight.

SYNERGY BONUSES
Royals - Unique - with Storm
  • Black Panther: Gain a 1 second Unblockable Passive when activating a Special Attack during Panther’s Might.
  • Storm: Each Shock Debuff on the opponent grants +20% Special Attack Damage, Max Potency at 5 Shocks.

Kings - Unique - with Killmonger
  • Black Panther: Intercepting the Opponent grants a True Strike Passive for 10 seconds, letting his attack ignore all Armor, Resistances, Evade, and Auto-Block effects.
  • Killmonger: Can activate Special 3 Bleed Debuffs an additional 1 time per fight.

Warriors - Unique - with Iron Fist. Iron Fist (Immortal)
  • Black Panther: Start the fight with 3 Inactive Panther's Might Charges.
  • Iron Fist (Both): 25% Armor Break Debuff Potency.

ENEMIES- with Deadpool
  • All champions gain +155 Critical Rating

ENEMIES- with Iron Fist, Iron Fist (Immortal)
  • All champions gain +155 Critical Rating

Romance- with Storm
  • All champions gain +5% Power Gain

Synergy Updates
Tigra’s Feline Possession:
Black Panther: Gain an additional Cruelty Passive from all Hits.

HulkBuster’s Engineering Experts:
Black Panther: +25% Bleed Duration.

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Deep Wounds
  • Black Panther is all about BLEED damage. Maximize every Bleed Debuff he places with Deep wounds!

Liquid Courage and Double Edge
  • Shrugging off Debuffs is a thing of ease with Black Panther’s Signature Ability. Juice out even more damage with Liquid Courage and Double Edge!

Post edited by Kabam Boo on

Comments

• Nightkiller7312Nightkiller7312 Posts: 146
    Too bad they changed the synergy with tigra :(
    But still love the buff
  • limeade32limeade32 Posts: 222 ★★
    Storm is going to be worth a rank up if you have black panther and apoc, could be an interesting trinity. With the special damage boost she could probably do aq or general questing pretty well.
  • Fear_of_Clowns2099Fear_of_Clowns2099 Posts: 642 ★★★
    I'm kinda stupid... does he needs his awakened ability?
  • slackerslacker Posts: 550 ★★★
    H3t3r said:

Hopefully he doesn't need sig200. Seems like more recently skill champs have needed it. Crossbones, kingpin.

Well for damage he don't need it, but if need his purify and =100% DAAR then he need it
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 1,080 ★★★

Looks good, but I'm a bit concerned about the skill cap needed to play this guy well. It seems that, to get the huge damage, you need to intercept with specials with panther's might. Might be difficult to get the timing just right.

Or maybe I just suck. Who knows?

That was my concern too. So much intercepting. I like the buff but I hope the damage is worth the skill cap.
    It seems the only to have 100% AAR is to have BP's might and 10 bleeds. Unrealistic but AAR is AAR

It looks like he will be a good champ...but he’s classic skill: bleed, shrug, defensive AAR. I’m not saying he’s not going to hit hard or have useful utility but he doesn’t stand out among skill and that’s feels a shame.

Nick fury is this skill but many people use him
  • slackerslacker Posts: 550 ★★★
    Chikel said:

Looks good, but I'm a bit concerned about the skill cap needed to play this guy well. It seems that, to get the huge damage, you need to intercept with specials with panther's might. Might be difficult to get the timing just right.

That was my concern too. So much intercepting. I like the buff but I hope the damage is worth the skill cap.
    It seems the only to have 100% AAR is to have BP's might and 10 bleeds. Unrealistic but AAR is AAR
    Actually 5 bleeds, his might give him 50% and each bleed gives him 10%
  • JahnybravoJahnybravo Posts: 55
    I'm just happy I can finally use this skill 2015 3->4 gem I've been sitting on. now I just need to pull Falcon and Crossbones for my 2 2016 3->4 gems and pray these variants stop giving me damn skill gems!!!
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 1,080 ★★★
    slacker said:

Chikel said:

Yea my mistake. If his crit rate is high enough then that is practical.
  • legrindlegrind Posts: 43
    Meh champ to okayish. Still nice work.
  • JahnybravoJahnybravo Posts: 55
    Chikel said:

slacker said:

Chikel said:

Yea my mistake. If his crit rate is high enough then that is practical.
    well being in Panthers Might gives you precision buffs for each cruelty buff you have, so it should be pretty easy to combine the 50% from Panthers Might and 50% from bleeds. Although I'm assuming that 10% per bleed will be at max sig only, so we'll have to wait and see what it's like at lower sigs.
  • TheHoodedDormammuTheHoodedDormammu Posts: 1,271 ★★★
    When entering Panther's Might, do all new cruelty passives gained also get paused? Hope thats the case
    Revert tigra synergy come on why nerfing it??????
  • Disbanded_pensDisbanded_pens Posts: 105
    Is Jabari Panther's Tribal Warfare synergy unchanged or being updated like Tigra?
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 776 ★★★
    Sounds like my next R2
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 685 ★★★
    One of those buffs where I can't really judge things on paper.

It look great, but it depends on practicality and role-competition. If he winds up having roughly the same damage and utility as another, easier to use champ, then RIP.

I really appreciate skill-based mechanics and/or unique fighting styles, but the payoff has to be stellar compared to the ol' reliables. BPOG legitimately might have that, but he has some very tough contenders.

Absolutely incredible for anyone with the 6*, though.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 3,276 ★★★★★
    edited May 1

• Intercepting the Opponent has 100% Chance to Purify one of each Debuff from Black Panther. Cooldown 1.04 seconds.
    • Each Bleed Debuff on the Opponent decreases their Defensive Ability Accuracy by 10.05%. Max 5 Bleeds.
    Dev Note: Pair the Bleed Defensive Ability Accuracy with Panther’s Might and you’re going to be keeping your opponent’s Abilities in check for the whole fight! On demand Purify for one of each Debuff on him is also a great tool to help with any fight.
    Which of those numbers change with Sig?
    I'm guessing the AAR does; but is the shrug-off always 100%?
    Does the shrug-off cooldown start longer when he's at Sig1?
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,295 ★★★★★

Which of those numbers change with Sig?
    I'm guessing the AAR does; but is the shrug-off always 100%?
    Does the shrug-off cooldown start longer when he's at Sig1?
    Kam mentioned in his breakdown that the 100% shrug off doesn’t scale, it’s 100% at sig 1. The cool down starts at 15 secs apparently.

He didn’t mention the AAR but I would assume it would. Which makes it annoying because he’ll need sig 200 for that to be reliable
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 722 ★★★

The more I think about this Buff, the more I realise that it's actually really good. 5 perfect intercepts (M-L-L-L) should give you the 15 Cruelties and 5 Panther's Charges. Once you enter Panther's Might he's going to get:
    1) ~+15% Crit Rate, raising his total Crit Rate to ~40%
    2) ~+570% Crit Damage, raising his total Crit Damage to ~750%
    3) 40% increased Bleed duration
    4) Guaranteed Crits on Specials
    5) Minimum of 50% DAA reduction
    6) Debuff purification per intercept

All that for a minimum of 15 seconds, increased by 5 seconds each time you intercept, which can let you hold it indefinitely.

Dude, that's....insane. He has the potential to deal some of the highest and most consistent Crit damage in the game along with utility. Even with just 5-7 Cruelties he'll be throwing massive Crits.

This guy's gonna slap big time.

Because of diminishing returns, getting 750% crit damage is impossible. The highest someone could get is 550% and that requires a critical damage rating of over 1 million.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 2,231 ★★★★
    I didnt read any of it but the dodgeball reference was gold Jerry, gold!