Champion Spotlight - Shang-Chi

About Shang-Chi
From a young age, Shang-Chi went through rigorous martial arts training with his father, Zheng Zu. After discovering he was being shaped into a lethal assassin, he instead took to Super Hero work. As the Master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi has complete control over his inner energy, Chi. With a vast knowledge of Wushu fighting styles, Shang-Chi can wield a variety of weapons but he excels in bare-handed combat.

Shang-Chi's Mechanics

Shang-Chi uses his Medium and Light Attacks to perform combos called Wushu Strikes. These allow Shang-Chi to access powerful utility and land Guaranteed Critical Hits. As Shang-Chi lands Critical Hits, he increases his Critical Damage Rating, making him hit harder the longer the fight lasts.

BASE STATS & ABILITIES
   Health  Attack  PI (Max Signature)
 3-Star  11736  861  3567
 4-Star  15660  1148  4726
 5-Star  31398  2301  10640
 6-Star (Rank 3, Level 45)  40458  2965  13680

Character Class: Skill

Basic Abilities: Slow, Cleanse, Unblockable, Stun, Precision

STRENGTHS:
  • Wushu Strike Utility
  • Wushu Strikes can be performed quickly with minimal actions for a variety of utility options that can help Shang-Chi deal with difficult Opponents.

• Critical Hits
  • Because Shang-Chi’s damage comes from Critical Hits, he bypasses most Armor and Resistances that the Opponent has against him.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Critical Hit Punish
  • Shang-Chi relies on his Critical Hits for all of his damage, so Nodes and Opponents with abilities that counter Critical Hits or Guaranteed Critical Hits will give him a hard time.

ABILITIES:
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion

Always Active:
  • Critical Hits grant +34.15 Critical Damage Rating for the rest of the fight. Max 300 hits.
Wushu Strikes:
  • All Wushu Strikes start Readied and can be performed by Landing Hits or Striking into Block with a series of specifically ordered Attacks. Performing a Wushu Strike Unreadies it indefinitely for the rest of the fight.

• The last hit is a Guaranteed Critical Hit, provides 1 Chi Charge and activates bonus effects:

• Disarming Strike (Medium, Medium): The last hit cannot be interrupted. Remove the Opponent’s Unstoppable effects and inflict a Slow Debuff, reducing Unstoppable and Evade Ability Accuracy by 100%, over 5 second(s) for each Readied Wushu Strike. Slow won’t trigger against natural Class Advantage.

• Cleansing Strike (Medium, Light, Medium): Purify 3 Debuff(s). Gain 1 Cleanse Passive for each Readied Wushu Strike, lasting until this Wushu Strike is Readied again. When a Champion with Cleanse is inflicted with a Debuff, it is immediately Purified and Cleanse is removed.

• Breaking Strike (Medium, Light, Light, Medium): The last hit becomes Unblockable when Striking into a Block. Gain an Unblockable Buff, lasting 1.5 second(s) for each Readied Wushu Strike and pausing during Shang-Chi’s Special Attacks.

• Pin-Point Strike (Medium, Light, Light, Light, Medium): Inflict a Stun Debuff lasting a flat 0.65 second(s) for each Readied Wushu Strike.
Developer’s Note: Be very intentional with the order that you perform Wushu Strikes as their effectiveness scales with the number of Readied Wushu Strikes. To do no Wushu Strikes, ensure you are ending your combos in a Light attack.

Perfectly-Timed Blocks and Dodges
  • Shang-Chi has a short window of time where he can use Perfect-Timing while performing a Well-Timed Block or Dodging an Attack, granting him 1 Chi Charge.
Developer’s Note: These windows require very precise timing that is tricky to get a handle of at first. With these actions perfected, Shang-Chi will gain more Chi Charges, making his Special 2 Attack deal even more damage. Try dodging and blocking at the very last second to achieve Perfect-Timing.

Heavy Attacks
  • Gain a Precision Buff for each Chi Charge, increasing Critical Rating by 110.53, over 15 second(s). Max 4 stack(s).
  • All Unreadied Wushu Strikes are Readied and personal Stun Effects on the Opponent are removed.
Developer’s Note: The Heavy Attack is useful for quickly prepping all Wushu Strikes in case their utility is required or for stacking a large amount of Chi Charges before cashing out with a chunky Special 2 Attack.

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Special 1 - Aerial Kick
  • Landing this attack or Striking into Block will perform the last Wushu Strike used with equal potency. If no Wushu Strike has been used, the Pin-Point Strike is performed.
Developer’s Note: The Special 1 Attack allows Shang-Chi to double down on one of his Wushu Strikes. Need more Cleanse Passives? How about another Stun Debuff?

Special 2 - Wushu Barrage
  • Each hit is a Guaranteed Critical Hit.
  • Consume all Chi Charges, increasing the Attack Rating of each hit by 690.3 for each Chi Charge.
  • All Unreadied Wushu Strikes are Readied.
Developer’s Note: This is Shang-Chi’s only way to cash out his Chi Charges, so build them up and then perform this Special Attack for some big yellow numbers.

Special 3 - Total Focus
  • Gain +182.61 Critical Damage Rating for the rest of the fight.
  • Gain 4 Chi Charge(s).

Signature Ability - Master of Kung Fu
  • Passive:
  • Critical Hits deal a burst of 20% of hit damage as Physical Damage.
  • Shang-Chi can perform Critical Hits through the Opponent’s Block. Personal abilities that trigger on Critical Hits will trigger through Block.
Developer’s Note: Shang-Chi’s signature ability increases his overall damage with bursts of Physical Damage on Critical Hits and also allows him to trigger Critical Hits through his block. This means he can increase his Critical Damage Rating quicker than before.

SYNERGY BONUSES
Shadowland - Unique - with Mr. Negative
  • Shang-Chi: Dodging an attack with Perfect-Timing inflicts a Falter Passive, causing 100% of the Opponent's attacks to Miss for 2 second(s). Contact Attacks bypass this Falter and remove the effect.
  • Mr. Negative: Degeneration Debuffs triggered in Special Attack 2 have a 10% chance to inflict an additional copy of themselves.

Master Martial Artists - Unique - with Iron Fist, Iron Fist (Immortal)
  • Shang-Chi: Start the fight with 4 Chi Charges.
  • Iron Fist, Iron Fist (Immortal): Each hit in all Special Attacks are Guaranteed Critical Hits and gain a flat +35% personal Armor Break Ability Accuracy.

The Way of the Spider - Unique - with Spider-Man
  • Shang-Chi: Critical Hits bypass +20% of Armor and Resistances.
  • Spider-Man: Spider-Man can use Perfect-Timing while performing a Well-timed Block or Dodging an Attack, gaining a Cruelty Buff, increasing Critical Damage Rating by 45% for 30 seconds.

Eyes of the Dragon- with Captain America (Classic), Black Widow, Beast, Ant-Man
  • Synergy Members: Landing a Critical Hit grants an additional +2% Critical Damage Rating. Max 100 hits.

Heroes for Hire- with Luke Cage, She-Hulk
  • All Champions gain +85 Block Proficiency & Physical Resistance.

Enemies- with Elektra
  • All Champions gain +155 Critical Rating.

RECOMMENDED MASTERIES
Pierce/Pure Skill
  • These masteries allow Shang-Chi’s Critical Hits to bypass more Armor, helping him to deal with bulkier Opponents.

Stupefy
  • Stupefy allows Shang-Chi to squeeze out more hits during his Parry Mastery stun and Pin-Point Strike stun.

Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• Silver_GooseSilver_Goose Posts: 437 ★★★
    Looks really good!
  • XC123456789XC123456789 Posts: 7
    Soooo excited
  • JragonMaster170JragonMaster170 Posts: 1,599 ★★★★
    Looks great
  • te_dua_shumte_dua_shum Posts: 608 ★★★
    another Skill champion, another Cleanse... as an Apoc owner i'm pretty bored about this -.- That being said he seems a really good character that also works with suicides if needed, and seems pretty annoying to fight against too ^_^ I can't wait to try Ebony Maw against him *_*
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,121 ★★★
    To entirely convinced about the “perfectly timed block” mechanic considering how often people still complain about the parry timing being changed between updates. Personally I don’t have those issues, but it could be a bit awkward with older devices
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 936 ★★★

Why is the icon for the new champions so weird... it looks so fake especially Shang-Chi

I think they look awesome. So hyped for May
  • aPlayeraPlayer Posts: 1
    Sounds cool
    can somebody explain to me why shang-chi does some kind of direct damage on critical hits? i'm doing MLLLL combos, so i know i haven't activated any of his moves ^^"
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 720 ★★★

can somebody explain to me why shang-chi does some kind of direct damage on critical hits? i'm doing MLLLL combos, so i know i haven't activated any of his moves ^^"

Signature ability
    @magnus_xix thank you very much, i don't know why i missed it ^^"
  • RekManRekMan Posts: 120
    Love him.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 266 ★★
    Reading through the spotlight is a little confusing to me.

Is it essentially:
    With combos: Able to inflict Slow/Stun debuff, gain Cleanse/Unblockable.
    Chi charges: Spend charges inflict these buffs/debuffs
    Bank chi charges for burst damage (using heavy beforehand)
    Heavy: After using that combo (unready), heavy to ready the utility

Is that about right?
  • zeezee57zeezee57 Posts: 2,950 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

Reading through the spotlight is a little confusing to me.

Is it essentially:
    With combos: Able to inflict Slow/Stun debuff, gain Cleanse/Unblockable.
    Chi charges: Spend charges inflict these buffs/debuffs
    Bank chi charges for burst damage (using heavy beforehand)
    Heavy: After using that combo (unready), heavy to ready the utility

Is that about right?

From what I can tell the chi charges don't inflict buffs/debuffs. The chi charges give precision buffs on heavy attack and add attack on sp2. The wushu strikes are separate but also refreshed with heavy. I got super lucky (first time ever) on black iso cav and got a 5* Shang so I'm figuring his abilities now. Awesome champ from what I've tested so far.