Champion Spotlight - Morningstar

Queen Haasen conquered and ruthlessly ruled over her kingdom of Languria with only a few mercenaries, and a demonic sword. But her people rebelled against the Queen’s reign of fire and blood, and sealed her within a mystical iron maiden to suffer for all time. When Mephisto offered her a chance for vengeance, the Prince of Lies granted her new life in the tortured form of her walking iron tomb, and the weapon for which she is named: Morningstar.

Base Stats & Abilities

*All stats based on 4 Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99

Health: 15797
Attack: 1148
Max PI:
Without Signature: 3735
With Signature (99): 4790

Character Class: Mystic

Passive
A lack of blood provides full immunity to Bleeding.

Captured Souls - Passive
Over the course of a quest, Morningstar’s weapon captures Souls and stored up to 5 of them, empowering both her and itself. Captured Souls travel with them from fight-to-fight.
1 Soul: When struck with a Physical Contact attack, Morningstar has a 50% chance to cause her opponent to Bleed for 574 damage over 5 seconds.
2 Souls: Special 1 Triggers Unstoppable for 2.5 Seconds
3 Souls: Special 2 becomes Unblockable
4 Souls: Gain 574 Energy Resist, and 50% Perfect Block Chance.
5 Souls: 20% chance on Hit to Life Steal 50% of the Damage done to the Opponent.

Heavy Attacks
100% Chance to trigger a Power Gain granting 5% of Max Power per Captured Soul over 15 seconds. Max: 1 Stack

Special 1: Strength of Languria - Morningstar strikes with her weapon, as it glows with the power of the souls contained within.
Each hit of this attack deal 315 Bonus Energy Damage per Captured Soul. This Damage increases with Critical Hits.

Special 2: Maiden’s Furnace - Morningstar channels her pain, rage, and hatred into a beam of pure power.
Each hit of this attack deals 861 Bonus Energy Damage per Buff active on the Opponent, when the attack is triggered.
100% Chance to Nullify all Buffs

Special 3: Soul Chains - Morningstar lets her weapon taste the soul of her enemy.
Morningstar begins to pull her opponent’s soul from their body, place a counter on herself.
Damage to the opponent increases the counter, Damage to Morningstar reduces it.
If the counter reaches 100, she captures the Soul. If it reaches 0, her opponent reclaims their soul.
Morningstar can capture only 1 Soul per fight.

Signature Ability: Soul Link - Morningstar’s weapon grants her a link to her Opponent’s soul, allowing her to feed on its power, strengthening herself, while weakening them.
If Morningstar has less than 1 Captured Soul at the start of a fight, she gains 1.
Morningstar’s Weapon grants her a link to her Opponent’s Soul, allowing her to siphon away a portion of the power from any Fury, Power Gain, or Regeneration Buffs they trigger, reducing their potency by 50%, and granting her own Buff.
Fury: +631 Attack for 15 Seconds.
Regeneration: +1974 Health over 15 Seconds.
Power Gain: +22.5% Power over 15 Seconds.

Synergy Bonuses:

Guillotine - Masters of the Sword - Unique Synergy
Morningstar: If she has less than 2 Captured Souls, she gains 1.
Guillotine: Soul charges take 10 seconds longer to expire

Mephisto - Soul Seeker - Unique Synergy
Morningstar: Start the fight with 1 Bar of Power.
Mephisto: +1 Soul at the beginning of each fight.

Angela/Magik - Warrior Queens - Unique Synergy
Morningstar: Buffs last 20% Longer.
Angela: Buffs last 20% Longer.
Magik: +500 Critical Rating and +500 Critical Damage while Limbo is active.

Recommended Masteries:

Critical Rating
A lot of Morningstar’s consistent damage comes from building her Souls and then throwing lots of Special 1 Attacks. The Bonus Energy Damage that comes from her Special 1 increases when she lands a critical hit.

Glass Cannon
While Morningstar does need to stay alive to get to 5 Souls, once she does her Lifesteal, it will help keep her topped off to mitigate the Health Reduction and bonus damage is also bonus lifesteal!

Double Edge
A bit of a gimme here, but with her Bleed Immunity she get’s all the upsides of Double Edge with none of the drawbacks!

Strong Match-Ups:

Hyperion
Once she has her Signature Ability unlocked, Morningstar becomes an excellent Hyperion counter. His consistent Power Gains have a reduced effectiveness against her, and she’ll trigger her own Power Gain, and Fury to match his.

Wolverine
What Morningstar’s Signature Ability can do to Hyperion’s Power Gain, it does just as well to Wolverine’s Regeneration. Also, she’s Bleed Immune to cut down on Wolverine’s damage potential so she shouldn’t have any trouble.

Mordo
With sufficient Souls, Morningstar’s Special 2 Attack becomes Unblockable, punching right through that block Mordo loves to hide behind. Her Signature Ability also gives her a Power Gain of her own. You get the picture.

Weak Match-Ups:

Quake
Well right off the top, the Class Advantage gives a nice damage boost. Next stacking up Concussions on Morningstar will help Quake land hits without triggering the reflected Bleed. Quake also doesn’t have any Buffs for Morningstar to leech off of, and has lots of Stuns which Morningstar just has to tank through like anyone else.

Cyclops (Blue Team)
Cyclops is a solid answer to Morningstar. His additional power gain below Special 1 comes from a Passive ability, so it doesn’t trigger Morningstar’s Signature Ability, and that Special 1 is both a Projectile and Energy Damage, so it doesn’t trigger the Bleed.

Ultron
Morningstar can struggle against Ultron. He’s Bleed Immune, but so is she, so they're both missing their Bleed abilities. Ultron, however, Regenerates a portion of the Energy Damage he takes, and most of Morningstar’s big damage comes in Energy form, so she’ll find she doesn’t inflict as much Damage as she’s used to.

Comments

• AgentEdwardAgentEdward Posts: 65
    We’ve needed a good counter for Hyperion and Mordo and Wolverine. Looks like a good solid champ will definitely be trying to get her.
  • I think there is a bug with her sig ability ...
    She copied Ghost Rider's life steal, even though it is a passive ability (not a buff).
    I don't know if this is happening against other champions.

Also she is currently being considered a robot champion (willpower not working on her). Is there a fix for it coming soon?
  • CrusherCrusher Posts: 234
    If the counter reaches 100, she captures the Soul. If it reaches 0, her opponent reclaims their soul......
    How does the counter works.. How a champ can counter his soul from her sp3 ..
    What is the meaning of counter reaches 0 and counter reaches to 100...
    #VVIP#
  • Crusher wrote: »
    If the counter reaches 100, she captures the Soul. If it reaches 0, her opponent reclaims their soul......
    How does the counter works.. How a champ can counter his soul from her sp3 ..
    What is the meaning of counter reaches 0 and counter reaches to 100...
    #VVIP#

It triggers a counter (icon) under her HP bar. There are numbers on that counter.
    If it reaches 0, she will fail to capture enemy's soul. If it reaches 100 she captures it.
  • RotellyRotelly Posts: 534 ★★★
    How does Morningstar break Mordo's unblockable ability?
  • eXtripa69 wrote: »
    I think there is a bug with her sig ability ...
    She copied Ghost Rider's life steal, even though it is a passive ability (not a buff).
    I don't know if this is happening against other champions.

Also she is currently being considered a robot champion (willpower not working on her). Is there a fix for it coming soon?

I'll have the team look into it!
  • SnakeEyes69SnakeEyes69 Posts: 199
    Don't have to grind for her. Got lucky and pulled her 4* in 5 crystal Blade offer. Looks like a solid champ!
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★

Double Edge
    A bit of a gimme here, but with her Bleed Immunity she get’s all the upsides of Double Edge with none of the drawbacks!

Except, you know, recoil
  • StavelotXoteStavelotXote Posts: 231
    Rotelly wrote: »

Technically, she doesn't. I guess we should clarify that it would have to be in that split second before he gains the ability to block unblockable attacks.

:/
  • If i have 2 or more souls, do i get all benefits like the bleeding for 1 soul, the unstoppable for 2 souls and so on ?
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 3,672 ★★★★★
    Rotelly wrote: »

Technically, she doesn't. I guess we should clarify that it would have to be in that split second before he gains the ability to block unblockable attacks.

Sadly believable, Miike.

Dr. Zola
  • Franchise_7Franchise_7 Posts: 38
    Willpower power is not working for her I’m being poison to death 1pypg006m2oo.png
  • DeeparviDeeparvi Posts: 105
    So @Kabam Miike.. Her Synergy with Guillotine gives her 1 soul if Morningstar is less than 1 Captured Soul and her signature ability also gives her 1 soul if she is on zero captured soul.. So my understanding states that if u pair Duped Morningstar with Guillotine, you can technically start the First Fight of Any Quest with "2" captured souls.. Is that correct?? Please provide clarity, @Kabam Miike
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    edited October 2017
    This champ seems very lackluster. I had the luckiest pull of my entire career yesterday and got her twice, so I have her duped. I did some questing with her and she seems very weak. Sure, she can do a lot of things, but poorly, nothing very strongly. I have not tested her on Hyperion or Mordo to steal their power gain, so maybe she is good specifically for them, but just as I thought, she does not seem like a very "wow" champ.

As a side note, putting Mordo as a strong matchup and noting the unblockable special when he can in fact block it is kind of an absurd thing to add. You might want to take that down.

EDIT: I did actually find a decent use for her. If you have 3 souls and you're facing Jugg, she can L2 him and remove his Unstoppable. That's a decent niche.
  • Deeparvi wrote: »
    So @Kabam Miike.. Her Synergy with Guillotine gives her 1 soul if Morningstar is less than 1 Captured Soul and her signature ability also gives her 1 soul if she is on zero captured soul.. So my understanding states that if u pair Duped Morningstar with Guillotine, you can technically start the First Fight of Any Quest with "2" captured souls.. Is that correct?? Please provide clarity, @Kabam Miike

I have her duped and that’s correct.

• SuperChronaSuperChrona Posts: 250
    Does her signature ability against enemies with a node powergain buff also reduce their powergain effect and give morningstar a powergain buff? Or is only against enemies like Hyperion, Mordo and ... it works?

Example: Node XX in AW has a 200% powergain. Their powergain gets reduced by 50% and morningstar gets a powergain buff?
  • She is supposed to work only against buffs, not passive abilities
  • Can you clarify information about how she gets souls?

in description listed tat she can get max up to 1 soul - one bug.
    when awakened ahe didn't get a soul at the start of a fight.
    Hhg28fgZdTU.jpg
    and as you can see here - in her description a bug - name of the line, but not the information about that she get a soul at the start of a fight if she haven't it...
  • demed wrote: »

Captured Souls - Passive
    Over the course of a quest, Morningstar’s weapon captures Souls and stored up to 5 of them, empowering both her and itself. Captured Souls travel with them from fight-to-fight.
    1 Soul: When struck with a Physical Contact attack, Morningstar has a 50% chance to cause her opponent to Bleed for 574 damage over 5 seconds.
    5 Souls: 20% chance on Hit to Life Steal 50% of the Damage done to the Opponent.

I thought life steal based on % of damage done was abandoned and replaced with fixed life steal health per hit, hence doctor strange's life steal is so weak after he was "updated". How come morning star has a chance to life steal 50% of the damage done? Or is this a bug you will fix after you have misled people to spend enough to get her?

Not every ability was changed to a % value. Morningstar is intended to be like this
  • demeddemed Posts: 80
    eXtripa69 wrote: »
    demed wrote: »

Captured Souls - Passive

I thought life steal based on % of damage done was abandoned and replaced with fixed life steal health per hit, hence doctor strange's life steal is so weak after he was "updated". How come morning star has a chance to life steal 50% of the damage done? Or is this a bug you will fix after you have misled people to spend enough to get her?

Not every ability was changed to a % value. Morningstar is intended to be like this

Any health regen ability has been. Otherwise these champions are overpowered and equally affected by nodes etc. See Kabam's latest honest mistake with mephisto's regen
  • demed wrote: »

Captured Souls - Passive

Any health regen ability has been. Otherwise these champions are overpowered and equally affected by nodes etc. See Kabam's latest honest mistake with mephisto's regen

She is supposed to have higher lifesteal with the more damage she deals. Thats why is a % lifesteal.
    Guillotine wasn't changed too
  • demeddemed Posts: 80

Captured Souls - Passive

She is supposed to have higher lifesteal with the more damage she deals. Thats why is a % lifesteal.

That's not really a justification. Guillotine should be changed too. I dont understand how they are saying that regen shouldnt be based on varying stats but be fixed (see ds and ghostrider) but then go on and create these exceptions to the game rules they set.
  • Crushtest wrote: »
    Can you clarify information about how she gets souls?

in description listed tat she can get max up to 1 soul - one bug.
    when awakened ahe didn't get a soul at the start of a fight.
    Hhg28fgZdTU.jpg
    and as you can see here - in her description a bug - name of the line, but not the information about that she get a soul at the start of a fight if she haven't it...
    To gain a soul during a fight you need to launch a special 3 attack and then do enough damage to your opponent. You can gain one soul per fight from this and it carriers over to your next fight in quests.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★

Captured Souls - Passive

You made a similar argument regarding Meph's regen which Kabam then said was a mistake. I'm guessing this one is too.
  • eXtripa69 wrote: »

Captured Souls - Passive

You made a similar argument regarding Meph's regen which Kabam then said was a mistake. I'm guessing this one is too.

Wrong. Mephisto was bug and it was simply because regen doesn'r scake with modified HP.
    Lifesteal (morningstar and guillotine) scales with modified attack
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★

Captured Souls - Passive

Wrong. Mephisto was bug and it was simply because regen doesn'r scake with modified HP.
    Lifesteal (morningstar and guillotine) scales with modified attack

I went back and checked the spotlight, sorry for assuming it was you. You made no mention of his regen in that thread @eXtripa69
  • Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    edited October 2017
    I just can't understand how champs are constantly released not working as described. Where is the quality control department?

Since it still seems clearly obvious that no testing is done, why not put out the 2* version and give to everyone the week before the champ is released so we can test and report back before the real release.