**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

T5CC in Bugle Store

QuikPikQuikPik Posts: 806 ★★★★
Why is the cost of one 10% T5cc crystal 5500 snapshots and the cost of five 2% T5cc total 2500 snapshots. Is it that much of a premium to get 10% of one class versus spreading them out over a few classes?

Comments

• Options
    WfpkstevezillaWfpkstevezilla Posts: 121 ★★
    edited August 2021
    Because a guarantee of 10% in one class of potentially 2% in five separate classes holds more value objectively. So yes, it is worth a premium. Maybe not for everyone but you get to choose what you spend it on.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★
    Most likely because you get them all the same Class.
  • Options
    More than 2x the cost though seems like a steep premium. If it were a selector then OK that price is fine.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★
    Not to someone waiting on that 10% to make TB.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,756 ★★★★★
    A 10% one will get you several times closer to a full random crystal than 5 separate 2%-ers will. I personally don't care too much if I get either a mutant, mystic or tech 10% one since I have champs to rank up in all categories. 2% in either class, meanwhile, doesn't take me too close to the goal of forming a new t5cc. It's nice and I'll certainly buy them, but chances are those 5 are going to be spread out over the various classes and not push any single catalyst too much closer towards completion.

So yeah, I would say that 10% in a single class is more valuable than 5x2% in a random one, unless you are within those 2% of forming a catalyst. In that case, 5 chances are amazing.
  • Options
    I'm not disagreeing the 10% should be a premium but more than 2x the cost seems a bit too much. Maybe 4000 snapshots would be a better price.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian
    QuikPik said:

Why is the cost of one 10% T5cc crystal 5500 snapshots and the cost of five 2% T5cc total 2500 snapshots. Is it that much of a premium to get 10% of one class versus spreading them out over a few classes?

Because the relative price gap between those two was unimportant. That's not how game economies are generally designed.

More likely, the devs wanted the T5CC in the event to cost about 8000 snapshots, compared to the total that a Cav player might be able to earn. The T5CC was going to be broken down into one 10% and five 2%. They could have set the price of T5CC to be 400 snapshots per percent, which would make the 10% one 4000 snapshots and the 2% ones 800 per. But they decided they wanted the first few to cost less, so that players constrained on snapshots for whatever reason would at least be able to get a few. So they lowered the 2% crystals from 400 snapshots per to 250 snapshots per. This reduced the cost of the five 2% crystals from 4000 to 2500, and that cost was shifted to the 10% crystal bumping it up from 4000 to 5500.

That's generally how game economies are designed. You start with constraints, then you fit everything into those constraints, then you tweak things to get the behavior you want. You don't generally care as much about concerns like if this costs this, then that should cost that, unless those things are highly fungible (players can convert one to the other or can spend freely between them). In the case of the event store, there's a finite amount of snapshots players can spend, and they must spend them in this store only, and there are limits on what they can buy, so relative pricing is unimportant.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    QuikPik said:

I'm not disagreeing the 10% should be a premium but more than 2x the cost seems a bit too much. Maybe 4000 snapshots would be a better price.

None of the prices make sense. Don’t waste any time thinking about it. They had a total, assigned numbers based on what was left and called it a day.

We can all agree that 10% is more valuable for someone trying to form a first catalyst but there’s a crossover point where I don’t think it matters anymore. I’ve got 7 rank 3’s, an unused science catalyst and all SOP points through week 7. If the game somehow allowed the choice, I’d rather spend 5000 on 10x2% than a single 10% crystal.