**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Journey to ThroneBreaker Challenge

BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
We hear a lot of conversation about just how hard it is to get to Thronebreaker. Perhaps more-so in the past when there were less sources to get T5CC, but still a good amount considering the current climate of the game. I'm one of the, let's say louder, proponents of the idea that getting TB is actually quite easy nowadays. As there are two sources of 25% selectors readily available in Act 7.1 and 2, all you need to do is save those for last and get to 50% in one class of T5CC. There are 7 sources of 25% crystals (Act 6.1, Act 6 Completion, Variant 5,6 and 7 and 7.1 and 7.2 completion) that guarantees you with 50% in at least one class. So the theory is there. But how hard is this in practicality?

I have already taken a second account to Thronebreaker, it now has 6 rank 3 champions and I run it in the same alliance as my main account, so it's developed enough for Map 7 epic mods and T3/2 war. But this was very much a pick up and play for a month, then drop it, on and off kinda deal. I don't know how long or hard it was to get Thronebreaker. Plus, I ran an abyss path to get my T5CC, and a point we see a lot is that "I don't want to do Abyss". Regardless of the reality of the situation, and how relevant that point is, I am quite interested to see how hard it would be without an Abyss run.

Inspired by Brian Grants recent FTP 7 day challenge, I wanted to see how far I got too, though I don't have enough time to dedicate 11 hours a day to the account. This past week I have started a new account. Yesterday, my 7 day XP boost expired marking a week of progress. I have decided to momentarily retire my second account, and set myself a challenge for the coming months. How long does it take for a FTP to get to TB?

I will write and update this post every week or two weeks, depending on content cleared and how much there is to update.

Week 1

Overview of the week
First hard choice of the challenge, the name. After a brief tantrum that "SteelyMcSteelface" went over the character limit, I went with Mini-Steel.

I began by clearing act 1 and 2, largely led by the 3* Shang Chi given to new accounts. I ranked him, the torch given to us by the Up Up Down Down challenge and a Mr fantastic I pulled as my main 3. After act 2 I continued to act 3, and Shang gave Thanos the beating of his life.

I looked to the Up Up Down Down challenge and assembled a team, ranked up a Howard the duck 3* to deal with iceman and went in. 15 minutes and a very sketchy 3% health finish on iceman later, I had my first 2000 4* shards. This felt like a huge moment, who was the first 4* going to be?

Yup, it was drax.

But no matter! I now looked at the Shang-Chi Challenge, which even in the early quests has some really, really relevant rewards for newer accounts. I mean, the first chapter exploration was a 5*! Not to mention 2 4*s, 500 shards, a generic awakening gem for a 4*, T4b etc. Having auto-fought the first chapter I had no idea what the level of difficulty would be for a new account.

It turned out to be very easy in the early quests, and I had a 4* full my formed crystal and the rest of the the shards to form another before I even broke a mild sweat. Nervous to pull another drax level champion, I just hoped for a usable champion, someone with damage to get me through Act 4. Anyone usable... and as it slowed down and landed on Archangel, I definitely felt like it was usable.

I opened my next crystal and pulled sentry, which after a brief disappointment, I realised synergised with the tech/science power sting Mr fantastic synergy. I then ploughed on with the Shang chi challenge and explored up to quest 3, giving me a 4* Nexus. With a choice between Killmonger, Mysterio and someone else forgettable, I chose Killmonger for an evade counter. It was a tough choice, but I felt Killmonger brought more to my account to deal with tricky evades. Luckily, my next two 4* crystals gave me Hit Monkey and Professor X (who I awakened later as well), both evade counters - So I guess the RNG gods really wanted me to have no issue with Evades...

I used the generic gem from Shang Challenge to awaken Archangel, I started completing Act 4, ending up with 2 chapters done. Then I looked back to quest 4 from Shang Chi Challenge. Exploring that would give me my first full 5* when I'm still on 350 shards. This could be huge. I did it one path in the quest at a time, and luckily, new accounts get a lot of units quickly so I felt good about using revives for a 5*. Overall, I think I used 5 or 6? My team was Archangel now rank 4, Professor X rank 4, Killmonger rank 2, Shang Chi maxed 3* and Torch rank 3 3*.

Shang took She hulk, archangel took sunspot, prof X took hit monkey, killmonger took Mr negative and torch took tigra. Archangel then crushed the Shang Chi boss. Taking it one path at a time was very important to keep item use down.

To close out this first week, I opened the first 5* of the challenge. By the time I get to act 6 I won't have too many 5*, so this is one of the few leaders of the charge into act 6 I will be able to use early on. In any case, here was the pull.

It just rolled over YJ, who I would have been over the moon with, so much utility. But hawkeye is decent, his power control is so reliable and I was lacking in that. I'm not disappointed, not blown away.

Notable Pulls
4* Professor X
4* Professor X awakening
4* Archangel
4* Killmonger
4* Hit Monkey
5* Hawkeye

Notable Rank ups
Archangel to rank 4
Professor X to rank 4
Killmonger to rank 2
ShangChi 3* to rank 4
Human Torch 3* to rank 3
Howard the duck 3* to rank 4

Content Completed
Act 1 Ch1-4
Act 2 Ch1-4
Act 3 Ch1-4
Act 4 Ch1-2
Shang Chi Challenge Chapter 1 100%
Up Up Down Down challenge Heroic and Epic difficulty
Heroic EQ completion
Master EQ completion

Plan for next Week
I want to complete Act 4, giving me another 4* and 1k 5* shards. I am considering Master EQ exploration, giving me 2750 5* shards and 4500 4* shards, which is a very sizeable amount. In terms of rank ups, I want to rank 2 Hawkeye and rank 4 my human torch 3* but apart from that I will likely save for future pulls.

At the end of week 1, here’s the roster

Comments

• Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,379 ★★★★★
    Good luck
  • Options
    H3t3r said:

Honestly might start a second account now. For the times I'm really bored in the game

Having already taken a second account pretty far, it is a really nice opportunity to play casually, try new champions and rank up champions you wouldn’t rank on your main account
  • Options
    BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    I can’t give you a time as the bugs massively hindered my progress but I got TB by 300k account. By 240k I’d finished act 6 and abyss so had everything in place but then opened a bunch of 6*s I had stashed, sop nexus etc to see what came out to r3 which inflated the account.

The challenge i’d set myself was to do it with as barebones a squad as possible. I finished act 6 with no r5s and took 3 champs to r5 for abyss. Also did minimal arena got most of my units snd resources clearing story content and rttl etc.

Wrt to a timeframe, doing it FTP means you’re gonna have to 100% most of act 1-5 to get to l60, will be bit of a slog.

Overall, if you’re a bit lucky with pulls it’s easy enough.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Berjibs said:

I can’t give you a time as the bugs massively hindered my progress but I got TB by 300k account. By 240k I’d finished act 6 and abyss so had everything in place but then opened a bunch of 6*s I had stashed, sop nexus etc to see what came out to r3 which inflated the account.

The challenge i’d set myself was to do it with as barebones a squad as possible. I finished act 6 with no r5s and took 3 champs to r5 for abyss. Also did minimal arena got most of my units snd resources clearing story content and rttl etc.

Wrt to a timeframe, doing it FTP means you’re gonna have to 100% most of act 1-5 to get to l60, will be bit of a slog.

Overall, if you’re a bit lucky with pulls it’s easy enough.

Good luck!

That’s a good point, I’m not sure how large my roster will be by the time I get TB, on one hand I could see it being a really small account, rushing content fast tends to mean you stretch your roster high, rather than building it out wide (if you know what I mean). But on the other hand, I might need a ton of different counters for different things.

I suppose it depends on which champions I pull.

Who did you end up ranking for your TB rank up?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Was between vulture and guardian. Went with the latter for synergies.

I had a think btw and took about 4 months of solid play. Without abyss, who knows, would take longer unless there’s some more sop style rewards along the way. When I finish cav eq I’ll potentially have a second T5cc. Got Tb about a month ago.
  • Options
    Berjibs said:

Was between vulture and guardian. Went with the latter for synergies.

I had a think btw and took about 4 months of solid play. Without abyss, who knows, would take longer unless there’s some more sop style rewards along the way. When I finish cav eq I’ll potentially have a second T5cc. Got Tb about a month ago.

Good choice, guardian is awesome.

Yeah, my plan is going to be go through act 6, then complete 7.1 and 7.2 and see where I am. If I have 50% of one class by then, I’ll explore 7.1 and 2 to use the selectors. If not, I’ll start doing variants.

Along the way, I’ll likely need to do some variant content, monthly content etc to get new champs or rank up materials. But that’s my basic plan for now.
  • Options
    Doh forgot about act 7 not really touched it as wasn’t my favourite content first time around. You could probs do it pretty quick then providing you have counters.
  • Options
    Berjibs said:

Doh forgot about act 7 not really touched it as wasn’t my favourite content first time around. You could probs do it pretty quick then providing you have counters.

We will just have to see what 5* I get! So far only Hawkeye lol.

I’m gonna work on my 4* roster to get through act 5, and also prepare for some variant content. Completing 2 variants out of 5-7 will give a full 6* which could be huge.

I reckon I can do two variants with 4*s at some point
  • Options
    Nix2222Nix2222 Posts: 121 ★★★

Berjibs said:

I’m gonna work on my 4* roster to get through act 5, and also prepare for some variant content. Completing 2 variants out of 5-7 will give a full 6* which could be huge.

Very curious how this goes, will you be posting updates? Good luck!
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Looking good, prof X has a ton of utility for act 5 even, and that torch will probably be helpful even as a 3 star.
  • Options
    DiablordDiablord Posts: 505 ★★★
    Good luck.
    Even I started a new account today.
    My old account is uncollected but the month started to feel boring so I thought of starting the new account
  • Options
    Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★

We hear a lot of conversation about just how hard it is to get to Thronebreaker. Perhaps more-so in the past when there were less sources to get T5CC, but still a good amount considering the current climate of the game. I'm one of the, let's say louder, proponents of the idea that getting TB is actually quite easy nowadays. As there are two sources of 25% selectors readily available in Act 7.1 and 2, all you need to do is save those for last and get to 50% in one class of T5CC. There are 7 sources of 25% crystals (Act 6.1, Act 6 Completion, Variant 5,6 and 7 and 7.1 and 7.2 completion) that guarantees you with 50% in at least one class. So the theory is there. But how hard is this in practicality?

I have already taken a second account to Thronebreaker, it now has 6 rank 3 champions and I run it in the same alliance as my main account, so it's developed enough for Map 7 epic mods and T3/2 war. But this was very much a pick up and play for a month, then drop it, on and off kinda deal. I don't know how long or hard it was to get Thronebreaker. Plus, I ran an abyss path to get my T5CC, and a point we see a lot is that "I don't want to do Abyss". Regardless of the reality of the situation, and how relevant that point is, I am quite interested to see how hard it would be without an Abyss run.

Inspired by Brian Grants recent FTP 7 day challenge, I wanted to see how far I got too, though I don't have enough time to dedicate 11 hours a day to the account. This past week I have started a new account. Yesterday, my 7 day XP boost expired marking a week of progress. I have decided to momentarily retire my second account, and set myself a challenge for the coming months. How long does it take for a FTP to get to TB?

I will write and update this post every week or two weeks, depending on content cleared and how much there is to update.

Week 1

Overview of the week
    First hard choice of the challenge, the name. After a brief tantrum that "SteelyMcSteelface" went over the character limit, I went with Mini-Steel.

I began by clearing act 1 and 2, largely led by the 3* Shang Chi given to new accounts. I ranked him, the torch given to us by the Up Up Down Down challenge and a Mr fantastic I pulled as my main 3. After act 2 I continued to act 3, and Shang gave Thanos the beating of his life.

I looked to the Up Up Down Down challenge and assembled a team, ranked up a Howard the duck 3* to deal with iceman and went in. 15 minutes and a very sketchy 3% health finish on iceman later, I had my first 2000 4* shards. This felt like a huge moment, who was the first 4* going to be?

Yup, it was drax.

But no matter! I now looked at the Shang-Chi Challenge, which even in the early quests has some really, really relevant rewards for newer accounts. I mean, the first chapter exploration was a 5*! Not to mention 2 4*s, 500 shards, a generic awakening gem for a 4*, T4b etc. Having auto-fought the first chapter I had no idea what the level of difficulty would be for a new account.

It turned out to be very easy in the early quests, and I had a 4* full my formed crystal and the rest of the the shards to form another before I even broke a mild sweat. Nervous to pull another drax level champion, I just hoped for a usable champion, someone with damage to get me through Act 4. Anyone usable... and as it slowed down and landed on Archangel, I definitely felt like it was usable.

I opened my next crystal and pulled sentry, which after a brief disappointment, I realised synergised with the tech/science power sting Mr fantastic synergy. I then ploughed on with the Shang chi challenge and explored up to quest 3, giving me a 4* Nexus. With a choice between Killmonger, Mysterio and someone else forgettable, I chose Killmonger for an evade counter. It was a tough choice, but I felt Killmonger brought more to my account to deal with tricky evades. Luckily, my next two 4* crystals gave me Hit Monkey and Professor X (who I awakened later as well), both evade counters - So I guess the RNG gods really wanted me to have no issue with Evades...

I used the generic gem from Shang Challenge to awaken Archangel, I started completing Act 4, ending up with 2 chapters done. Then I looked back to quest 4 from Shang Chi Challenge. Exploring that would give me my first full 5* when I'm still on 350 shards. This could be huge. I did it one path in the quest at a time, and luckily, new accounts get a lot of units quickly so I felt good about using revives for a 5*. Overall, I think I used 5 or 6? My team was Archangel now rank 4, Professor X rank 4, Killmonger rank 2, Shang Chi maxed 3* and Torch rank 3 3*.

Shang took She hulk, archangel took sunspot, prof X took hit monkey, killmonger took Mr negative and torch took tigra. Archangel then crushed the Shang Chi boss. Taking it one path at a time was very important to keep item use down.

To close out this first week, I opened the first 5* of the challenge. By the time I get to act 6 I won't have too many 5*, so this is one of the few leaders of the charge into act 6 I will be able to use early on. In any case, here was the pull.

It just rolled over YJ, who I would have been over the moon with, so much utility. But hawkeye is decent, his power control is so reliable and I was lacking in that. I'm not disappointed, not blown away.

Notable Pulls
    4* Professor X
    4* Professor X awakening
    4* Archangel
    4* Killmonger
    4* Hit Monkey
    5* Hawkeye

Notable Rank ups
    Archangel to rank 4
    Professor X to rank 4
    Killmonger to rank 2
    ShangChi 3* to rank 4
    Human Torch 3* to rank 3
    Howard the duck 3* to rank 4

Content Completed
    Act 1 Ch1-4
    Act 2 Ch1-4
    Act 3 Ch1-4
    Act 4 Ch1-2
    Shang Chi Challenge Chapter 1 100%
    Up Up Down Down challenge Heroic and Epic difficulty
    Heroic EQ completion
    Master EQ completion

Plan for next Week
    I want to complete Act 4, giving me another 4* and 1k 5* shards. I am considering Master EQ exploration, giving me 2750 5* shards and 4500 4* shards, which is a very sizeable amount. In terms of rank ups, I want to rank 2 Hawkeye and rank 4 my human torch 3* but apart from that I will likely save for future pulls.

At the end of week 1, here’s the roster

Is this open challange to dna on who can write longer posts?
  • Options
    Nix2222 said:

Berjibs said:

Very curious how this goes, will you be posting updates? Good luck!
    Yes! I’ll post about it each week or so and let you guys know what’s going on! Might throw in a few rank up questions too, of which champs to prioritise :)
  • Options
    Malreck04 said:

Looking good, prof X has a ton of utility for act 5 even, and that torch will probably be helpful even as a 3 star.

Yeah! Prof and AA are carrying me at the moment, AA for anything that bleeds and poisons, Prof for anything else.
  • Options
    Ebony_Naw said:

Thought the top 5 skill was Elektra until you said overrated, so I assumed it was BWDO. But then you listed another champ I never heard of. Man, what an emotional rollercoaster that was.

I thought most would understand that was Elsa lol, never ceases to start a debate on the forum
  • Options
    Now that Steve has been confirmed for October, you’re going to get a good boost in act 5 completion, so maybe wait on collector until you can get Steve to a decent rank and then do it relatively cheap
  • Options
    Malreck04 said:

Now that Steve has been confirmed for October, you’re going to get a good boost in act 5 completion, so maybe wait on collector until you can get Steve to a decent rank and then do it relatively cheap

Great shout, Steve could actually be a fantastic option for content depending on his abilities. I can’t remember, were we able to bring him into content? I thought we could, but no boosts were usable with him
  • Options
    CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    The fastest way is still Abyss unless you're super lucky with your T5CC pulls being in the same class and you have a 6* in that class that you're willing to r3.

Obviously to do Abyss you would have to be lucky with your pulls - so there is a fair amount of luck either way. There are a stack of people that probably have the roster but fall into the don't want to Abyss camp.

I'm TB on two accounts both F2P. Cav took maybe two months, TB less than a year but could have been way sooner if I had not thought that Abyss was out of my reach. It loomed larger than it really was.
  • Options
    Corkscrew said:

The fastest way is still Abyss unless you're super lucky with your T5CC pulls being in the same class and you have a 6* in that class that you're willing to r3.

Obviously to do Abyss you would have to be lucky with your pulls - so there is a fair amount of luck either way. There are a stack of people that probably have the roster but fall into the don't want to Abyss camp.

I'm TB on two accounts both F2P. Cav took maybe two months, TB less than a year but could have been way sooner if I had not thought that Abyss was out of my reach. It loomed larger than it really was.

I know abyss is definitely the best way to do it, but I’m kinda ruling that out for this account. Too many people say abyss is too hard, or it’s based on getting Aegon, and I would like to show them it’s not all hinged on abyss.

If I did abyss on this account it would be to get 6* shards, not to get the t5cc. I wouldn’t use it.
  • Options
    Come on Doc, you've been on these forums long enough to realise that calling them out does absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Yeah, I do agree that disagree trolls are irritating, and there definitely should be something done about the cowardly tendency to disagree with anything just for the sake of it. I can guarantee you the people "brave enough" to disagree with someone saying thank you, would definitely not be brave enough to claim ownership of their trolling.

We should go back to when disagrees were free to view for everyone, so you could see who has disagreed with you. It would definitely stamp out this annoying trend.

I do appreciate this is an annoying part of the forums, however I would ask if everyone could stick to the subject of the thread. I'm more than happy to carry out this conversation in a thread relevant to disagree trolling, I just don't want to have a long debate here. Thanks for everyone raising their points, and please don't anyone take this as a dig or any negative feelings whatsoever @DrZola you know I agree with you on this, @Malreck04 @BlackBoyFly thanks for input as well.

Thanks everyone :) I'll post my week 3 update soon.