**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Buff Review - Thor (Ragnarok)

Disclaimer: All testing was done with a 5-Star Rank 2 Sig 20 Thor (Ragnarok). My Thor is very low sig; at a higher sig level he would possess even more damage output during Thunder God’s Wrath.

Playstyle:
Thor Rags’ playstyle is literally attack, SP3, then keep attacking. Boon of the Gods is what makes his kit interesting for me; every 40 hits on your combo you gain a passive Power Gain which shoots you to 3 Bars of Power. This does put him in a similar spot to Hyperion where you just keep on throwing specials again and again, making the power meter kind of irrelevant. Oh and he deals extra damage by inflicting Stun while attacking, which can be triggered by Shocks or his SP1.

Synergy Team:
  • Proxima Midnight: I would have loved to see this synergy implemented into Thor’s main kit but oh well. The 10 less hits required on the combo meter goes a long way in giving you more Power Gain throughout the fight, making Thor much more enjoyable as a champion imo.
  • Hela: This synergy makes Thor incredibly sustainable throughout a quest. Knocking out any opponent grants 10% health instantly, so Thor will be constantly topped up on health. It’s a two-way synergy combo but Hela’s side doesn’t matter, so ye.
  • None of his other synergies really make much of a difference imo, if you’d like another synergy partner then Hulk Rags perhaps for the two-way synergy.
Pros:
  • Now playable without the awakening. Pre-buff Thor had nothing for his kit unawakened and did not function without the awakening. With the buff the devs did the same thing with Gamora’s buff by integrating his former sig ability into his base kit. This move made complete sense unlike Gamora’s since nobody gives a **** about Gamora’s awakening. Thor’s awakening was basically his entire kit and I’m glad they fixed that. As a 6-Star he’s now a complete champion right off the bat. The awakening and sigs still help with damage now but are not required, which is what I’d like to see from any champion tbh.
  • Damage is on point; Shocks and Armor Breaks and Stun damage coupled with attack boost from awakening and some SP1 Stuns make for some very nice damage after a SP3. Big yellow numbers and the big Stun damage numbers and a bunch of Shock damage. The payoff is definitely there for this champion after the buff!
  • Boon of the Gods, while unchanged offensively, gives Thor a big source of Power Gain which allows him to get to Specials easily. You’ll find yourself looping specials continuously like Hyperion and some mystic champions.
  • I like Thor’s simplistic playstyle, you literally just go for SP3 and then 5-hit combo the opponent, and then cycle. No extra shenanigans involved which I appreciate.
Cons:
  • A lack of utility is what drags this champion down for me. First off, who had the bright idea of giving the God of Thunder a 90% Shock duration decrease??? Instead of a full immunity??? With this you’re still taking ticks of damage and you can’t benefit from Willpower. This makes absolutely ZERO sense especially when Thor is so lacking on any utility; a simple change like a guaranteed Armor Break on intercept, or a Slow on the heavy would’ve made him more viable for future content. Since we’re on the topic, Thor’s heavy still does absolutely nothing, which absolutely sucks.
  • The AAR part of the sig ability is pretty much just fodder. You’ll need just more than 30 hits to get to a SP3; by then whatever you’ll want to stop from triggering will most likely have already been triggered, and you’ll be long dead. Besides, the Shocks are frequent but none are guaranteed, so if RNG screws you over and you go below 5 Shocks, stuff could still end up triggering. There are so many other AAR champs I’d rather use than Thor Rags.
  • Thunder God’s Wrath would’ve been better if it were paused during the opponent’s Specials. 30-seconds goes by real quick when you’re facing opponents like DDHK and King Groot…
  • SP3 animation. Hopefully a SP3 skip feature is coming soon, but until then you’ll have to watch Thor get struck by lightning again and again and again…
Verdict:
Thor’s damage is now on point regardless of sig; if you’re a more chill player, don’t care about utility and just want fun champs, then Thor Rags would be a decent option to rank. However Skill is currently a very competitive class, and with some 2021 additions like Shang-Chi and Jabari Panther, and buffs like Kingpin, Mole Man and Crossbones, who all have similar or better damage potential but much stronger utility to fall back on, well honestly I don’t think Thor Rags is going to hold for much time.

I'm curious as to what y'all think on this buff? Could have different impressions on people not unlike Miles' buff. I’ll be posting on Guilly’s buff as well; there’s a lot more to hate about that one since she got absolutely shafted, combined with Thor who I believe is just above average, well I STILL don’t see how the buff quality has supposedly ‘improved’ from Bishop/Diablo/Venompool/King Groot who I think are all top tier buffs lol.

Comments

• odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★
    I really like his buff
    He can now potential stun lock opponents especially if you bring proxima

I usually use his sp2 at 24 hit's after the special you'll have a sp3 waiting for you

Utility is decent

Damage...

His buff was a success (At least to me)
  • odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★
    That 1st image was a mistake
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

That 1st image was a mistake

you have commited your doom
  • Player_SlasherPlayer_Slasher Posts: 156 ★★

I really like his buff
    He can now potential stun lock opponents especially if you bring proxima

I usually use his sp2 at 24 hit's after the special you'll have a sp3 waiting for you

Utility is decent

Damage...

His buff was a success (At least to me)

The damage is definitely nice I agree, but the big red number on SP3 came from ye proccing a Stun. That's a 16% chance; if there were a guaranteed Stun on SP3 then that big red number would be more impressive.

Utility again is what brings this champ down for me, he pretty much has nothing going on for him except a relatively weak Shock counter.