Claire Voyant vs Spidey99

For openers before anyone blows up at me, both champions are amazing and I this is not a debate on who is better but rather the reaction from the community when spidey99 was released and what that means for future content and how we should perceive new champions.

Let’s get going! Both of these champions are stacked full of utility (I think Claire has more but that is my opinion), but what do they have in common? They both have lower damage outputs as compared to other champions. From my 5/65 spidey99, I can deal 40k special 2s in the right scenario. From my rank 2 6* Claire, I can deal 50k special 2s in the right scenario.
Utility wise they both do a lot. Claire can have 3 immunities that she can interchange, she has power control, buff control and even a unique buff control debuff that removes buff even if the opponent is immune to nullify. Awakened, she has death immunity. She also has high sustainability with life steal, but that does take away from her damage.
Spidey99 has amazing power control/reversal. He is buff immunity. He can pause debuffs and rupture bursts do decent damage. Not to mention he has a unique debuff as well. Spidey can also deal with unstoppable and evade. Sustainability wise, he is very sustainable and hard to kill when true strike is active.
Personally I think Claire has more utility but again, this is my opinion.

Now let’s look at the community’s reaction. When spidey99 was released, he was received poorly. People complained at his low damage output as if that was all that mattered. It was only until recently that he has got a lot of love. But how is it that Claire was rated beyond god from the start when her damage output is so similar? I think we need to take closer looks at champions before we jump to conclusions as to what place they have in the game. Damage is not everything in some cases and that isn’t what we should be focused on. (Although damage AND utility is awesome)

What is everyone’s thoughts on this topic? Again, not a comparison to see who is better but rather a comparison at the reaction to each champion.

Comments

• RiptideRiptide Member Posts: 3,182 ★★★★★
    I don’t have clair as a 5 or 6* so I can’t talk about her, but I have an R5 S2099 and have been really enjoying him!
  • Draconic_12Draconic_12 Member Posts: 997 ★★★★★
    edited December 2021

pre-buff Ebony Maw. Yuck.

What buff lol

• CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Member Posts: 1,118 ★★★★

pre-buff Ebony Maw. Yuck.

What buff lol

I mean he's more annoying to fight now
  • sirderekoflanesirderekoflane Member Posts: 75

I have a few ideas as to why this was the case.

1. Claire was released at a time where most of the mystic class was full of duds and the only two mystics released in 2019 before her were pre-buff Diablo and pre-buff Ebony Maw. Yuck. When you compare this to August 2021, when Spidey 99 came out, the science class was far stronger that Mystic back in 2019.

2. This is what I like to call CGR Syndrome. A lot of the champs released after CGR have been judged harshly by the community based on the fact that they can't dish out "big yellow numbers". Because of this some very good champions have flown under the radar and others have simply tossed aside because their damage output is not as high as CGR.

3. Deep Dives. A lot of the deep dive videos don't do justice to the characters being showcased. Case in point, Spidey 99. Knull is another champion that was received poorly because of the deep dive released by Kabam. People should always wait for actual testing before judging new champions.

Yeah I guess that is the only problem with champions like CGR and Hercules. They cause people to compare damage to them even when some champions are utility based.

• HagureMeijinHagureMeijin Member Posts: 89
    May I ask why you chose to compare these two champions?
  • RobbieRampageRobbieRampage Member Posts: 150 ★★

I have a few ideas as to why this was the case.

1. Claire was released at a time where most of the mystic class was full of duds and the only two mystics released in 2019 before her were pre-buff Diablo and pre-buff Ebony Maw. Yuck. When you compare this to August 2021, when Spidey 99 came out, the science class was far stronger that Mystic back in 2019.

2. This is what I like to call CGR Syndrome. A lot of the champs released after CGR have been judged harshly by the community based on the fact that they can't dish out "big yellow numbers". Because of this some very good champions have flown under the radar and others have simply tossed aside because their damage output is not as high as CGR.

3. Deep Dives. A lot of the deep dive videos don't do justice to the characters being showcased. Case in point, Spidey 99. Knull is another champion that was received poorly because of the deep dive released by Kabam. People should always wait for actual testing before judging new champions.

I honestly don't know why people seem to act like Knull is just decent, I would R3 him unduped. I use my 5* pretty often, I'm a little biased because I love regen champs.
  • sirderekoflanesirderekoflane Member Posts: 75

May I ask why you chose to compare these two champions?

I was comparing them because they are similar in the fact that they are full of utility and lower on damage yet one received mixed views when released, but should have been treated with similar respect.
  • I_tell_no_tales_1I_tell_no_tales_1 Member Posts: 1,198 ★★★★
    Now Spidey is getting the needed respect
    But his win animation is something above human male level
    How can he do it so many times???
  • BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Member Posts: 2,299 ★★★★★

For openers before anyone blows up at me, both champions are amazing and I this is not a debate on who is better but rather the reaction from the community when spidey99 was released and what that means for future content and how we should perceive new champions.

Let’s get going! Both of these champions are stacked full of utility (I think Claire has more but that is my opinion), but what do they have in common? They both have lower damage outputs as compared to other champions. From my 5/65 spidey99, I can deal 40k special 2s in the right scenario. From my rank 2 6* Claire, I can deal 50k special 2s in the right scenario.
    Utility wise they both do a lot. Claire can have 3 immunities that she can interchange, she has power control, buff control and even a unique buff control debuff that removes buff even if the opponent is immune to nullify. Awakened, she has death immunity. She also has high sustainability with life steal, but that does take away from her damage.
    Spidey99 has amazing power control/reversal. He is buff immunity. He can pause debuffs and rupture bursts do decent damage. Not to mention he has a unique debuff as well. Spidey can also deal with unstoppable and evade. Sustainability wise, he is very sustainable and hard to kill when true strike is active.

Now let’s look at the community’s reaction. When spidey99 was released, he was received poorly. People complained at his low damage output as if that was all that mattered. It was only until recently that he has got a lot of love. But how is it that Claire was rated beyond god from the start when her damage output is so similar? I think we need to take closer looks at champions before we jump to conclusions as to what place they have in the game. Damage is not everything in some cases and that isn’t what we should be focused on. (Although damage AND utility is awesome)

What is everyone’s thoughts on this topic? Again, not a comparison to see who is better but rather a comparison at the reaction to each champion.

I don't have s99 as 5 or 6 star yet but I agree with you. Damage is not the factor to determine everything for a champ. What a players roster lacks and what a champ is offering in terms to it with regards the general content is important. Especially their utility
  • AATTAATT Member Posts: 525 ★★★
    I love claire. Sick animations, suicides compatibility, healing, debuffs, death cheat, and a marvelous final animation 😍

I don't know much about spidey2099, but buff immunity is very useful for spite and buffet. Although are uncommon nodes these days. V1 chapter 3 was very annoying because of spite. I wish I had any of these two champs when I explore it
  • Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Member Posts: 3,550 ★★★★★

My r2 6 star Claire does 74k sp2 with death touch active