**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Battlegrounds is super fun, energy cost kills it for me.

MhykkeMhykke Posts: 431 ★★★
I could see myself playing a ton of battlegrounds, really fun mode. But there’s just no way I can burn that much energy over and over.

And if I couldn’t play it quite a bit, there’s no point in playing it sporadically, at least for me.

Kabam, you can monetize the mode simply bc it breathes new life into the game. I want to rank up like 30+ more champs for the mode. People are going to want to play more and get more champs. Don’t put an energy cost gate to bar entry.

If you want to limit prizes earned, just put something on the mode like from incursions, where you can keep playing, but any matches after a certain threshold don’t earn daily/weekly/whatever rewards.

I just can’t see myself spending a ton of energy to play this mode, even though it’s addicting.

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    @DNA3000 whats your thoughts on energy cost alongside champion stamina? I feel like that may be a bit of a game killer.

I know I won’t have roster depth to keep a decent deck going past at most 1 or max 2 lots of 30 champs. That’s how many my 5/65s plus would manage.

Unless champion stamina is quite high, or replenishes quite fast I just can’t see it being a good addition to the mode. But I’m interested in your thoughts behind it, whether there’s some economical reason to have it that isn’t obvious at first.
  • Mario33Mario33 Posts: 477 ★★★
    i think we should discuss it after the real ranking rewards are certain. Now its too much yes but maybe it’ll worth 15 energies later.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,995 ★★★★★
    Mario33 said:

i think we should discuss it after the real ranking rewards are certain. Now its too much yes but maybe it’ll worth 15 energies later.

This has me thinking of an interesting way of framing it. How much is that energy worth? Four Battlegrounds matches is (roughly) the equivalent of one 3 energy per step quest. How do you scale rewards with that comparison in mind?

Obviously questing content is finite whereas Battlegrounds grinding is not. If you had infinite energy to spend, you would eventually complete all the quest content in the game. But you would always have more Battlegrounds to play. Will there be small rewards per match plus the seasonal rewards like AW is, or will it be something else? Lots of different moving pieces at play. I have no answers here, but it’s all interesting to think about.

who's kidding anyone? this game mode, as evidence shows over 2 days from global rankings, was targeted specifically to those with the best chance to field a 30 6r3 champ deck. it certainly will not appeal to users who have yet to collect 30 4 star champs.
    if there were ever a time to put something behind a paywall, this is it.

tl/dr: substitute Energies with Units. you know they'll pay.

show me the units, kabam!

I only have 15-20 champions at R3 or above in my deck, the rest 5/65 and 6* R2.

who's kidding anyone? this game mode, as evidence shows over 2 days from global rankings, was targeted specifically to those with the best chance to field a 30 6r3 champ deck. it certainly will not appeal to users who have yet to collect 30 4 star champs.

Adding this photo to drive @BitterSteel’s point home. People forget that the gap between a 5/65 5* and a r3 6* really isn’t so huge. A good champ for the mode in the right hands will shine even at the lower rarity.
  • GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★

Eventually this will mean that anyone with a 4 star roster will get rated against other people with 4 star rosters. You can get a higher rank if you are either really good, or collect a better roster.
    The rank you can get would still give rewards based on your current roster and/or skill level.
    It could give you an extra way of expanding and progressing.

It is al over the place right now. Because we have no real starting point. I believe with the real release, after about a week tops. You will start facing people your own progression level.
    Has nothing to do with a paywall.

I do agree the energy cost is too high. The idea behind the mode really speaks to me. It might even make me start ranking certain defenders, change masteries. And take me out of arena if it would also turn out to be rewarding when looking at gold (and maybe some units, althou I doubt that).
  • Skiddy212Skiddy212 Posts: 1,101 ★★★★
    I think an energy cost of 10 would be perfect.

Potentially increasing the opportunities for free full energy refills would also be a nice way to ensure we have energy to do all content.
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,315 ★★★★★
    I think there should be a battlegrounds energy meter (similar to how AQ/AW have their own energy meters). Stick with the 6 max (1 match costs 1 battleground energy) and the battlegrounds store can have purchasable battlegrounds energy refills.

This would also allow people to do other content and move on to battlegrounds when their normal energy is depleted.
    Wicket329 said:

Adding this photo to drive @BitterSteel’s point home. People forget that the gap between a 5/65 5* and a r3 6* really isn’t so huge. A good champ for the mode in the right hands will shine even at the lower rarity.
    Appreciate that @Wicket329 , my 6* rank 2s and rank 5s have been all kinds of helpful. And another point is that even though my R3s obviously help more, there are lots of scenarios I’d rather a 5/65 CGR than a 6* R3 Guardian. CGr is likely to finish the fight quicker.

Battlegrounds is more about picking the right match up, and an extra 20% health and attack isn’t always going to be the difference, even if it does help. Sometimes a better match up with a 5/65 will be the answer.
  • Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,823 ★★★★★
    Didn’t play a single match - need energy elsewhere
    B00tblack said:

One problem I have is that if I have 7 energy left and want to add an energy refill of 70, I lose the 7 energy.
    I think it needs to be changed so if you add the 70, you temporarily go over…to 77 for example.
    Then I can just do a bunch of fights.

I actually think this should be for all game modes. There are long paths in Variants, and I just want to apply my energy and run the path while I’m boosted.

Now to some of you, 7 energy might mean nothing. But I manage my resources. And this game pushes that constantly.

I always use the little refills until I get to a proper 0 on energy. Math’s a little different with 15 per energy expenditures rather than leading with the big one.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,173 ★★★★★
    edited March 2022
    Mhykke said:

I could see myself playing a ton of battlegrounds, really fun mode. But there’s just no way I can burn that much energy over and over.

And if I couldn’t play it quite a bit, there’s no point in playing it sporadically, at least for me.

Kabam, you can monetize the mode simply bc it breathes new life into the game. I want to rank up like 30+ more champs for the mode. People are going to want to play more and get more champs. Don’t put an energy cost gate to bar entry.

If you want to limit prizes earned, just put something on the mode like from incursions, where you can keep playing, but any matches after a certain threshold don’t earn daily/weekly/whatever rewards.

I just can’t see myself spending a ton of energy to play this mode, even though it’s addicting.

I suspect when they start limiting the use of champs to three fights in a day or whatever that people won't be playing all day, and the energy cost won't be as important. Same goes for the rewards structure -- will you be able to fight for rewards as much as you want, or will it be limited by cycle like Incursions?
  • DrDrillDrDrill Posts: 163 ★★★
    my suggestion is to do a specific energy system for it,
    start at 5, cap at 8, cooldown is 1h - unit recharge cost 60 units.
    this way, people can do content and do BGs as well, and for people how want's to grind, gonna provide cash for Kabam, maybe do shop offers for item that refresh it, like 10 BG energy refills for 30$.
    the numbers are my suggestions, but you can put it as you like and price it differently, but this way, more people gonna be interested to play this rather than worrying if you play this mode, you won't be able to finish EQ or Main story..etc