**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What are your ergonomic tips for playing this game?

Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
For those of us who are older, we need to be especially careful to not cause Repeated Stress Injury from prolonged use of devices. Interested in hearing about any ergonomic tips or tools the community currently uses to help with this. Thanks!

Comments

• ChikelChikel Posts: 2,058 ★★★★
    6-finger claw is the superior playing position
  • Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

In fact my most common playing configuration is having my iPad closed and on my lap, and my phone resting on the iPad cover, and playing with both arms to either side of the phone, with my wrists perfectly straight and my arms rotated to place my hands and fingers where they need to be relative to the phone, so my hands carry no weight, my wrists are not bent or stressed, and only my fingers are moving on the phone.

This is brilliant advice, thank you!!
  • HipocerosHipoceros Posts: 88
    I play with my index fingers instead of my thumbs. So I place the phone on a table with something below elevating a couple of millimeters the top border of the phone, to enhace the view and prevent the screen rotation. You can improve as you need your position because you aren't holding anything.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Dude17 said:

For those of us who are older, we need to be especially careful to not cause Repeated Stress Injury from prolonged use of devices. Interested in hearing about any ergonomic tips or tools the community currently uses to help with this. Thanks!

I find holding my phone in my hands while I play is the more stress-inducing configuration. If I'm going to play for extended periods of time, I will try to place my phone on something resting on my lap and leave my hands free to tap and swipe without having to also carry the weight of the phone. In fact my most common playing configuration is having my iPad closed and on my lap, and my phone resting on the iPad cover, and playing with both arms to either side of the phone, with my wrists perfectly straight and my arms rotated to place my hands and fingers where they need to be relative to the phone, so my hands carry no weight, my wrists are not bent or stressed, and only my fingers are moving on the phone.

(Why my iPad? It is about the right size and the cover has the right amount of friction to prevent the phone from sliding around as I play the game).

Also, I have a set of intermediate range glasses typically used by people who have to stare at computer monitors for extended periods of time. These are also useful when having to stare at a phone screen at a couple feet distance.

That and short breaks, even if for only a few seconds, every fifteen to twenty minutes to prevent eye strain and hand/fingers going stiff.
    Why do I have a mental image of you weighing various devices, calculating µ, finding the force exerted by your hand on an average mcoc session and finally arriving at the deduction that the iPad is the best choice
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    Change the types of games I play throughout the day when I do play. Seriously. Alot of games have different ways of holding the phone or using your hands. Helps with not stiffening up and what not.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    1. A table with iPad hanger is very important for prolonged arena grinding or those fights you can't bear a single error.

2. Buy a hanger which can bear your sudden hit as some iPad clippers can't bear such sudden hit.

3. After 45, I found myopia issue gradually appears. To better safe your eyesight, maintain a reasonable distance with mobile/tablet and avoid using them on bed. My niece's son need to change one of the eyeballs at age 11 because of persistently incorrect usage of mobile devices. Although I'm psychologically prepared I may need to change my eyeballs somedays if cataract happens, I want to prolong that from happen vs some of my colleagues who need to do so before retirement. Lasik can't help vs nerves injury from mobile devices.
  • Khellendros138Khellendros138 Posts: 519 ★★★
    I'm actually genuinely impressed that there are no trolls on this thread! So much negativity on these forums for the most part so this was really nice to see. Lots of good advice here.
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,568 ★★★★
    A good chairarm that has some kind of a foam where your elbow can rest without getting hurt from a hard plastic chairarm.
  • Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
    edited October 2022

I'm actually genuinely impressed that there are no trolls on this thread! So much negativity on these forums for the most part so this was really nice to see. Lots of good advice here.

Same! I wasn’t sure what to expect tbh. Not only is the advice here brilliant, I’m pleased to see that other players care about their health as well. I’ve since incorporated many of the tips above and it’s already noticeably improved my player experience.
  • BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 2,360 ★★★★

pause every 15 minutes or so and stretch for 15 seconds. When doing long sessions like an abyss run... take a 30 minute break every 60 minutes of game play.

Play in a comfortable position that you would otherwise find good if not playing the game if you were to sit in it for hours.

Especially for larger devices, but even phones... try to setup in a way where the weight of the devices is against a holder or on a bed / don't just hold it in front of you.

Good advice sir!