**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Remember needing skill..Share your epic moments

Not complaining or anything, just reminiscing. Remember old timers, when this game took skill at lower levels. I remrember going for uncollected with a rank 4 4* quake (the collecter was shook, okay bad pun). Finished act 5 using. a 3* loki, that man did work on ultron. ROL with sig 20 r4 4* aegon ( got him from just one featured, best day ever ). Nowadays ive talked to many a player with at least one r3 6* who struggle with act 5.1 and 2. Back in the days i remember getting so hyped to get 600 6* shards from a variant, i would brag to my friends about being close to a 6*. I dont think the problem is that newer players are getting 6*s at low levels, but they definitely dont read abilities and nodes, why need to when r3's pretty much ignore damage in early act 5. Had someone complain that their parry wasnt working for no reason and that the game is fixed and trying to make them fail. The global node was ignores debuffs. Lol. Another died to iceman with a team of r2s and 3s, not knowing that he had coldsnap. Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts or some achievemnts you are proud of, or epic fails.

Comments

• Gogeta91199Gogeta91199 Posts: 990 ★★★★
    I think the problem is that the progression got a little too fast for the players to even learn skills. Acts got smaller, getting higher rarities easier(banquet events, compensation, free new 3-4* champs) all this made the game way easier in the start but then act 5 has some challenging nodes for newbies and they fail to understand how to get through. Back then we used to have 3*s mainly till act 4( 4* if you explore act 3) and beating any sort of boss was challenging because champs back then didn’t have 15 abilities like they do now( herc, kitty, chi yes i’m talking to you😂)that counter everything the boss throws at you. All these things i think helped build skills which the new players don’t spend time developing before jumping into content.
  • AllnamesbetakenAllnamesbetaken Posts: 118

I think the problem is that the progression got a little too fast for the players to even learn skills. Acts got smaller, getting higher rarities easier(banquet events, compensation, free new 3-4* champs) all this made the game way easier in the start but then act 5 has some challenging nodes for newbies and they fail to understand how to get through. Back then we used to have 3*s mainly till act 4( 4* if you explore act 3) and beating any sort of boss was challenging because champs back then didn’t have 15 abilities like they do now( herc, kitty, chi yes i’m talking to you😂)that counter everything the boss throws at you. All these things i think helped build skills which the new players don’t spend time developing before jumping into content.

Totally agree, act 4 and 5 back then required practice and an actual thought process, your brain had to work while playing. There was no blindly just beating stuff with raw force, sure act 6 was way too niche (no ghost or quake? Good luck!), but act 5 was a good place to learn skills. Newbies these days cant reparry, dont even know what intercepts are, havent memorized every heavy and special animation. Quake, one of the og gods, pretty much worthless in the hands of these new players.

100% every piece of content (most difficulties ) up until I had been playing about 2yrs . I until then only knew things in game i had learnt 100% myself. Once we got unlimited data . My skills roster etc grew like wild fire having YouTube the forum an other info places is a massive help ..

Exactly this, but now its gone too far, people go straight to guides without having ever built the skills necessary. They just follow the guide, use the same champs, dont understand the content and adapt
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,106 ★★★★
    You now learn the game in cav EQ and acts 7 and 8. Incursions and now EOP too, if you want a real challenge.

Class specifics now rule. Shrug mechanics, passive damage, power control, nullify, buffed up, heal block, prowess, but all with an odd sprinkling of tricky defenders; the game has moved far more to a "rock, paper, scissors" approach, as seen by even the new war nodes.

I don't know if it is good or bad. Revisit a back issue/variant with 5/50 4* or 4/55 5*. It was punishing content, where one mistake was instant death; Dave's old refrain of "combo'd into oblivion". I don't know what skills that taught to the 90% of the player base that would never be able to do a whole path where even 5 blocked hits killed you. Most people can't consistently do 12 fights in a row, where you can't even block, let alone be hit, no matter how much practice.

Having story content or progression gated to that skill level (so original beta act 7 and keeping act 6 as was) would mean most players would never get to fight 7.3 Kang, let alone scytalis. To get cav originally meant act 6 100% in it's un-nerfed state or abyss with 5/65s and for some even a 4* torch for mephisto.

People call elden ring hard; mcoc was at another level at one point.

This game has to be accessible to new players and the game team have realized that. Without it being so, it dies.

For a true challenge, we now have EOP and gauntlet return. And you can still run variants or take abyss thing with 2* shulk if you're MSD/swedeah/bero for real "try hard" status.
  • IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,245 ★★★★

How would you compare dark souls and mcoc? Dark souls is generally the game that I hear is the most difficult
  • BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,070 ★★★★★
    Doing act 6 pre Nerf(original difficulty)
    Going against collector using my 4 star Starky
    Blade meta for act 5
    Getting my ass kicked by champion 😭😭😭😭😭
  • Gogeta91199Gogeta91199 Posts: 990 ★★★★
    Also the moments, Almost quitting the game on collector(those cruel unblockable specials below 55%, and reviving corvus again and again), the champion(pre-nerf that last 10%😭) and grandmaster(barely getting past 1st phase and then getting stuck on reversed controls😭) after using tons of revives and units on multiple runs😂
  • GogiGogi Posts: 439 ★★★

How would you compare dark souls and mcoc? Dark souls is generally the game that I hear is the most difficult
    Agree, bad comparison. Soulsborn games can be brutal.
  • MystGMystG Posts: 30
    Good old days. I remember being hard-stuck for days on the masochism quest in 5.2 lol. Me never bothering to read about that YJ and going in again and again with my r4 4* OG SWitch (my top champ who was carrying the whole team everywhere else) and getting clapped with the power stings even on the perfect dexes, and then that looong stun to death lol.
  • The good old days indeed.

I made a new account last year to see how long it'd take to get Thronebreaker from scratch and inside 2 months I was Cavalier. With minimal logins since, that account has 2 6* R2 gems, 3 R5 5*.

I think that there's a real imbalance in champion acquisition vs difficulty of the game; at least in its earlier stages. You can probably brute force your way through Act 5 up to Ultron with virtually no knowledge or any real skills to speak of. Unfortunately Act 6 isn't the learning curve that Act 5 used to be for us, it's a veritable brick wall and I would not be surprised if this is the point at which many casuals pause almost indefinitely or quit.

An experienced player like myself can take real advantage of this easier passage through to the later stages and I'm confident that if I pick that account back up I'll probably be Thronebreaker in a couple of months and potentially Paragon before the year's out, just because of how much faster we can get hold of materials these days.
  • I won’t say I’m an og but I didn’t get my first 4* for several months. I remember when the thanos quest was hard to beat with my team of 3*s and 1 4*. Act 4 maestro with 4/40 domino. Got my first 6* right before getting uncollected (hit-monkey). Took a couple months break from the game and later decided to get back into it. Don’t remember fighting the collector 😅. Got cav with 1 r5 5* (was lucky enough to get 5* Hercules and he ended up being my first r5 although unawakened) once I got through 6.2 (the champion was brutal) I awakened my 5* Hercules and cleared most paths in act 6 with him however the bosses are still super specific r4 5* red mags is who did most of the work there. Grandmaster took me 2 hours to beat but the rewards were worth it. A couple weeks later I was TB and act 7-8.1 haven’t been nearly as hard as act 6. 8.1 exploration is challenging my roster though. Can’t wait for more EoP/gauntlet.
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,397 ★★★★★
    I explored 8.1 with only 2 r3s if that counts 🤷🏼

Any tips on that? Havent gotten around to it, but who did u use the most? Was most of it itemless or what amount of revives did u use per path? Tryna see if its worth it for me at all or nah.
  • I explored 8.1 with only 2 r3s if that counts 🤷🏼

Any tips on that? Havent gotten around to it, but who did u use the most? Was most of it itemless or what amount of revives did u use per path? Tryna see if its worth it for me at all or nah.
    I only have a couple paths left
    You really have to just read the nodes and work out which counters are best
    The rewards are 100% worth it
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,106 ★★★★

Herc if you have him, + Heimdall can do obscene amounts of 8.1.