What’s the consensus on Iron Doom?

Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,334 ★★★★★
edited February 2023 in Strategy and Tips
I see a lot of mixed feelings about him and was wondering if he was worth ranking up. He seems to have some great power control and he covers the fights that nimrod can’t handle the best, though I have heard that his damage does take while to get going. Is he worth investing in for reasons other than prestige or should I wait for a 6* Nimrod or OS?
Post edited by Kabam Valkyrie on

Comments

• PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,346 Guardian
    I love my iron doom, he is so good for a lot of content and I bring him in every AW
  • Maxwell2454Maxwell2454 Member Posts: 100 ★★
    edited February 2023
    Most Overrated champ in the game, good power control but that's pretty much it other than big prestige
  • RenaxqqRenaxqq Member Posts: 1,622 ★★★★

Most Overrated champ in the game, good power control but that's pretty much it other than big prestige

Absorbing Man is most overrated IMO.
  • FrydayFryday Member Posts: 955 ★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

I see a lot of mixed feelings about him and was wondering if he was worth ranking up. He seems to have some great power control and he covers the fights that nimrod can’t handle the best, though I have heard that his damage does take while to get going. Is he worth investing in for reasons other than prestige or should I wait for a 6* Nimrod or OS?

Hi @Emilia90 ,

So for me I would break it down to a few points.

Is iDoom good, yes, he got great power control, and do amazing well again Prowess mutant which there are a fair few as well as Node that give champs Prowess (and of course Bishop).

Is he better than Nimrod or OS, imp he is not, I would also put Warlock above him too (but that is just me).

He also got Shock and Incinerate immune which is a useful combination.

Would he help with a lot of contents, yes.

In regarding to investing in him, are you looking to take him to R2, R3, R4 or R5?

For me, I think he is very much good enough to be in R3 at least, I will take my to R4 one day.

So if it was me I would invest into him, make good use of him now, and you can invest more into Nimrod or OS when you get them.
    edited February 2023
    Remove his armor up buff and he cannot do any damage because he loses ability to inflict shock debuffs. Also without his armor up buff he's no more shock and incinerate immune.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Member Posts: 21,933 ★★★★★
    Nimrod is the better option imo
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,334 ★★★★★
    Fryday said:

Emilia90 said:

Hi @Emilia90 ,

So for me I would break it down to a few points.

Is iDoom good, yes, he got great power control, and do amazing well again Prowess mutant which there are a fair few as well as Node that give champs Prowess (and of course Bishop).

Is he better than Nimrod or OS, imp he is not, I would also put Warlock above him too (but that is just me).

He also got Shock and Incinerate immune which is a useful combination.

Would he help with a lot of contents, yes.

In regarding to investing in him, are you looking to take him to R2, R3, R4 or R5?

For me, I think he is very much good enough to be in R3 at least, I will take my to R4 one day.

So if it was me I would invest into him, make good use of him now, and you can invest more into Nimrod or OS when you get them.
    Thanks for the response! I think I’ll take him to r2 for now and wait, but rank 3 is definitely possible in the near future if I don’t pull Nimrod or OS. I’m not overflowing in rank 4 mats so I doubt he’ll go up there for a while unless I really want prestige.

His immunities are definitely super useful and having a good bishop counter is always nice. I like playing him more than Warlock but I’d agree, those champs are all better.
    Renaxqq said:

Remove his armor up buff and he cannot do any damage because he loses ability to inflict shock debuffs. Also without his armor up buff he's no more shock and incinerate immune.

Yeah he seems to be pretty easy to fight on defense with an armor break champ and most people would probably rinse him with galan, Hulkling, or CGR pretty quickly. On offense though, it’s not like most champs you’d fight with him would be triggering armor breaks and it’s not the most common ability in classes but cosmic. Ghost is pretty similar to him with the whole armor break thing where she can’t access her utility or damage.
  • FrydayFryday Member Posts: 955 ★★★★
    Hi @Emilia90 ,

If we looking at a all rounder Tech champ that cover a lot of contents, apart from Nimrod, OS and Warlock, another worth considering is Ultron.

He can handle most Mutants very well, even Kitty and Bishop if you can control the AI, also help if he is awaken and high sig.

Just something to consider.

Of course only Nimrod, OS (oh and Shuri) can handle Magneto from the Tech class, but HT and most other none Metal champs hangle him just fine.
    edited February 2023
    Emilia90 said:

Renaxqq said:

Yeah he seems to be pretty easy to fight on defense with an armor break champ and most people would probably rinse him with galan, Hulkling, or CGR pretty quickly. On offense though, it’s not like most champs you’d fight with him would be triggering armor breaks and it’s not the most common ability in classes but cosmic. Ghost is pretty similar to him with the whole armor break thing where she can’t access her utility or damage.
    You can nullify his armor up buff too.
  • Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Member Posts: 993 ★★★
    I feel he lost in the mix because he was way overhyped at the start by bigger YouTubers (mainly because he has the highest prestige in the game) he's great for bishop and some other fights like kitty pryde but I'd say he's somewhere between warlock and omega sentinel....arguably top 5 tech but he's not as good as nimrod. Still def worth having on your roster at r2-3 if you have the mats
  • Phantomfire500Phantomfire500 Member Posts: 232 ★★
    I think he's caught up in regular Doom hype, and he is by no means regular doom, but he is a damn good counter for some difficult fights like Bishop and Kitty
  • AxewAxew Member Posts: 620 ★★★★
    edited February 2023
    Fryday said:

Hi @Emilia90 ,

If we looking at a all rounder Tech champ that cover a lot of contents, apart from Nimrod, OS and Warlock, another worth considering is Ultron.

He can handle most Mutants very well, even Kitty and Bishop if you can control the AI, also help if he is awaken and high sig.

Of course only Nimrod, OS (oh and Shuri) can handle Magneto from the Tech class, but HT and most other none Metal champs hangle him just fine.

Shuri isn’t that good against magneto since he reduces shock damage by 90%, effectively making her damage worse than it already is.

I would add Yondu to that list though considering he is non-metal and can pilfer prowess. Granted, magneto will reduce Yondu’s bleed damage, but he has an alternate form of damage, the SP2 furies.
  • Nameless_IWNameless_IW Member Posts: 988 ★★★★
    Idoom was custom tailored made to counter Bishop and the likes. He is great.
    Fryday said:

Hi @Emilia90 ,

Yeah Ultron is pretty great after his buff. I have him at rank 2 for now and he’s usually a backup for when I can’t use my 5* Nimrod. Warlock is great but I want to awaken him before ranking him up so he can be a defensive option as well.

I’m definitely taking IIM to rank 2 and maybe rank 3, but I see why some people really like him and some don’t. Lots of great responses in this thread
    altavista said:

Even though he is commonly compared to Doom and Nimrod, I’d say that Guardian is a more suitable comparison and better grouping.

Utility shut off by armor break or nullify? Check.
    High damage after a ramp? Check.
    Power control where the defender is close to full bar as opposed to keeping them at zero power? Check.

Like Guardian, the highs can be high, but they aren’t the best option for most matchups. They can do it, but other options can handle the entire path better or faster.

That’s a great comparison. He fullfills his niches quite well and I think that’s good enough until I pull someone like Nimrod. I’m just happy to have pulled a featured champ for once haha
  • RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

altavista said:

Even though he is commonly compared to Doom and Nimrod, I’d say that Guardian is a more suitable comparison and better grouping.

Utility shut off by armor break or nullify? Check.
    High damage after a ramp? Check.
    Power control where the defender is close to full bar as opposed to keeping them at zero power? Check.

Like Guardian, the highs can be high, but they aren’t the best option for most matchups. They can do it, but other options can handle the entire path better or faster.

That’s a great comparison. He fullfills his niches quite well and I think that’s good enough until I pull someone like Nimrod. I’m just happy to have pulled a featured champ for once haha

No I generally agree with what @altavista has to say but that’s a horrible comparison.

Utility shut off by Armour Break? Sure that’s comparable to Guardian.

High damage after ramp? No. Guardian’s ramp is completely different to iDoom’s ramp. iDoom’s ramp is much closer to Doom’s ramp.

Power control where the defender is close to a full bar of power? Again that’s comparable to Doom.

He’s a great power controller, he can power lock the opponent for the entire fight with the SP3-SP1-n rotation. He hits really hard with the Trust Issues synergy and generally has a boatload of utility.

Best Tech in the game, beside Nimrod (they do different things).
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,401 ★★★★
    Rookiie said:

No I generally agree with what @altavista has to say but that’s a horrible comparison.

High damage after ramp? No. Guardian’s ramp is completely different to iDoom’s ramp. iDoom’s ramp is much closer to Doom’s ramp.

Power control where the defender is close to a full bar of power? Again that’s comparable to Doom.

He’s a great power controller, he can power lock the opponent for the entire fight with the SP3-SP1-n rotation. He hits really hard with the Trust Issues synergy and generally has a boatload of utility.

I agree that it is not the most similar comparison to make (and I agree that the Ramp comparison is a bridge too far).

My main point is that iDoom is viewed unfavorably when compared to the top stars (like a Doom or Nimrod), and is more comfortable in the ‘could be a top star’ grouping.
  • RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

Rookiie said:

I agree that it is not the most similar comparison to make (and I agree that the Ramp comparison is a bridge too far).

My main point is that iDoom is viewed unfavorably when compared to the top stars (like a Doom or Nimrod), and is more comfortable in the ‘could be a top star’ grouping.

Legend.

I genuinely see him as the Tech Doom, nothing less.

But where Doom has more of a Mystic flavour (Nullify, Power Steal), iDoom has more of a Tech flavour (Power Burn, Power Lock).

And while Doom relies on taking Power away from the opponent, iDoom relies on giving Power to the opponent, but once you nail down iDoom’s damage loop you will notice how similar they are.

Lastly, his 100% reduced Unblockable ability accuracy at sig 1 and 35% regen at sig 200 are godsends.
  • JefechutaJefechuta Member Posts: 1,212 ★★★★

Emilia90 said:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I tried him out a bit and I love his animations, but I agree that he’s overrated. I disagree with the people calling him mid or bad because he does have some sustainability, immunities, and some decently good damage once he gets going, but I’ll probably try him out more before taking him up.

Does anyone else find him annoying to fight on defense? Might be a rank up for BGs if that’s the case.

He's not a great defender imo. Any cosmic with armor break will turn him into a potato, and even without one it's an easy win. OG Doom is still tougher to deal with.
    Main problem would be if you have lag problems when he uses the specials, so its harder to dodge, but overall its not hard to fight