**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why must EQ waste so much energy?

Almost every EQ quest this month has unnecessary, energy-wasting path fragments. Why? They serve no purpose except to waste our energy.

This has been a problem in the past and it's been happening more over the last few months. Please stop doing this. You're taking away a resource (even if it is renewable) for absolutely no reason.

It's simply bad form, bad map-making, poor game design, and anti-player in a weirdly passive aggressive feeling way lol

Comments

• Options
    Well, I don't think people as awesome as starfighter and others are still doing monthly energy counts like they did years ago (unless I'm mistaken), but I'd love to see those numbers across the past 6 or so months since you seem very confident in that statement. They could be exactly the same across all months, but I'd be very surprised.

The monthly eq energy numbers have always fluctuated, going back to the first monthly eq. It has been discussed here for years. Those discussions are what pushed kabam to make eq more "standardized" as far as numbers of paths per quest.

Now, if it is the "same" amount of energy... The posted path fragments show the absurdity of that type of map building. If they have to add random teleports and paths to hit an energy quota, they're doing it wrong.

BTW, a quick search shows that sometimes eq varies by as much as 200 energy. I'll see if I can find some archives on energy counts.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,039 ★★★★★
    chunkyb said:

Well, I don't think people as awesome as starfighter and others are still doing monthly energy counts like they did years ago (unless I'm mistaken), but I'd love to see those numbers across the past 6 or so months since you seem very confident in that statement. They could be exactly the same across all months, but I'd be very surprised.

The monthly eq energy numbers have always fluctuated, going back to the first monthly eq. It has been discussed here for years. Those discussions are what pushed kabam to make eq more "standardized" as far as numbers of paths per quest.

Now, if it is the "same" amount of energy... The posted path fragments show the absurdity of that type of map building. If they have to add random teleports and paths to hit an energy quota, they're doing it wrong.

BTW, a quick search shows that sometimes eq varies by as much as 200 energy. I'll see if I can find some archives on energy counts.

I don't think they're doing it to hit a quota, I think it's just part of the design for what the theme of the current month is.
  • Options
    Lmmfao. Yes, much anesthetic, very art, lovely symmetry. 🤣🤣🤣

It's 24 energy to get into and out of this ridiculous set of 2 path fragments with one defender. And the other side has the same (symmetry ftw!).

You people are hilarious, but pls keep going. Tell them you want a 45 energy path with one defender on it. For anesthetics. That'll be great. Maybe @RichTheMan can make another video about the energy problem.

• Options
    kunfuweikunfuwei Posts: 64
    Is it the energy that’s the issue or the extra time grind associated to overall increase in hp? Everything seems to take longer now.
  • Options
    Ok so one person is playing a fighting game and doesn't want to fight.

Gw remembered those 2 times they made an x for xmen, applies that memory to every month, and sees something in this panned out picture.

It's just wasted energy for no reason. It's sad so many people don't want a better quest every month. Qol changes happen, that's not a bad thing.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I wish they would lower the energy costs on the lower maps. They kept the units the same if you explore every map, but functionally they lowered the available units for lots of the player base who explore the two highest maps and do a completion run in the others. It takes way too much time and energy to explore everything which means I have now lost all the units I used to get by exploring the 2nd hardest map. As to whether the energy is the same, I have no idea. Seems like a job for @DNA3000
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,218 ★★★★★
    So I calculated 3.2 paths have 22 nodes which were 21 for last few months.

chunkyb said:

I don't think they're doing it to hit a quota, I think it's just part of the design for what the theme of the current month is.
    This month I think they may have went towards the energy quota, as there is no energy consuming SQ.

• Options
    o_oo_o Posts: 834 ★★★★
    chunkyb said:

Ok so one person is playing a fighting game and doesn't want to fight.

Gw remembered those 2 times they made an x for xmen, applies that memory to every month, and sees something in this panned out picture.

It's just wasted energy for no reason. It's sad so many people don't want a better quest every month. Qol changes happen, that's not a bad thing.

Well it wasn’t just “those two times”… EQ paths formed stars for America Chavez and the number 1 for Titania for instance
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,039 ★★★★★
    chunkyb said:

Lmmfao. Yes, much anesthetic, very art, lovely symmetry. 🤣🤣🤣

It's 24 energy to get into and out of this ridiculous set of 2 path fragments with one defender. And the other side has the same (symmetry ftw!).

You people are hilarious, but pls keep going. Tell them you want a 45 energy path with one defender on it. For anesthetics. That'll be great. Maybe @RichTheMan can make another video about the energy problem.

Not sure what happened to you. You used to be one of the good ones.
  • Options
    RapRap Posts: 3,194 ★★★★
    Aesthetic design??? It is feng schui to add an extra move after the boss in the last section of the eq?
    Give us break! Pure and simple! Longer so you will do fewer of them. Longer to slow down or stop farming. Aesthetic?
  • Options
    RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,400 ★★★★★
    chunkyb said:

Almost every EQ quest this month has unnecessary, energy-wasting path fragments. Why? They serve no purpose except to waste our energy.

This has been a problem in the past and it's been happening more over the last few months. Please stop doing this. You're taking away a resource (even if it is renewable) for absolutely no reason.

It's simply bad form, bad map-making, poor game design, and anti-player in a weirdly passive aggressive feeling way lol

How did you beat thing in TB 2.2?
  • Options
    RiderofHellRiderofHell Posts: 4,400 ★★★★★
    I wanna know why paths are 3.4.5.5.6.7? 👀🤔
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,679 Guardian

Because 7 8 9.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

Because in the past, when this was established, more paths was synonymous to more difficult (Act4 philosophy).
    So increasing gradually paths on each quest, along with attack/health points increase, translates to difficulty escalation.
    Or at least that seems the intention.
    Anyway ch3 paths being 6 and 7 are too much anyway.
    Repetitive boredom in my opinion.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    It’d be great to drop to 25 paths. 3-3-4-4-5-6? 3-3-4-5-5-5?
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I wish they would lower the energy costs on the lower maps. They kept the units the same if you explore every map, but functionally they lowered the available units for lots of the player base who explore the two highest maps and do a completion run in the others. It takes way too much time and energy to explore everything which means I have now lost all the units I used to get by exploring the 2nd hardest map. As to whether the energy is the same, I have no idea. Seems like a job for @DNA3000

There's a bit of game design Judo here, or is in Aikido? The devs now argue that you can't complain about the energy costs for doing all of EQ, because you're not supposed to do all of EQ. But then if we aren't supposed to, should the rewards be distributed in such a fashion that a player is compelled to do more than, say, the top two or three difficulties? I think there's something there, I just haven't gotten quite there myself yet. My posts aren't monetized, so there's no advantage for me to get there quicker but shoddier.
    If we aren't supposed to explore everything than the Kabam position that the units are the same even though we now have two difficulties with no units seems problematic.

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,679 Guardian
    Nocko said:

I think monthly EQ should do away with the 3.4.5.5.6.7 format and simply go with a 5 paths on each map... that would help address the energy issue and make it less grindy

It wouldn't reduce energy at all. The energy costs are not high because they decided to have more paths in the higher chapters. The energy costs are set based on an energy economic budget, and the paths are made to fit that budget. Changing the number of paths to reduce the amount of energy cost is like trying to eat less pizza by cutting it into fewer slices.
  • Options
    While I get the point that it’s the same amount of energy each month, I do think that having paths like that is a waste and good just be trimmed or removed. I also get that sometimes they are there for design purposes as well but it is a waste in my opinion
  • Options
    Pretty basic concept that having to add random like fragments to achieve an amount of energy used goal is poor/lazy game design. People can be mad that it's pointed out, they can say silly things like "you used to be one of the good ones", they can pound that disagree button like little sycophantic children.

This game has years of ridiculous things existing simply bc they've always existed. When kabam finally allows a change for the better, players almost unanimously sit back and say "man, it was really stupid that it wasn't always this way". Ppl need to get over their knee-jerk water-carrying tbqh.
  • Options
    Tbh, farming dislikes is a ton easier with all the children that are upset by the simple truth of "this many unnecessary line fragments that are solely designed to waste energy are 100% bad/lazy game design. Kabam can and should do better for the players". It's even more fun than living in the game, as so many seem wont to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯