Options

A Miles Morales bug? Or is the problem my lack of faith?

MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,391 ★★★★★
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
Thoughts from the community, please...

I have a problem using Miles Morales - his Camo doesn't appear to be reliable against Unblockable attacks.

And I'm starting to suspect that the appearance of unreliability is a self-fulfilling prophecy: if it appears unreliable, it becomes unreliable. Read on...

The text in his description is this:

Pretty clear, right?
His Spider-camo activates when the opponent throws a Special

35% chance for attacks to Miss

Triple that for Unblockable attacks = 105% chance for Unblockable attacks to Miss

Well it's just not reliable. And I'm confident on that, as I'm trying to use Miles to clear the Spiderverse challenge for Eternity of Pain. Back to back against MODOK and Blade, he's getting clipped by Unblockable special attacks:

This is an incredibly annoying failure of an ability for me (especially in the middle of content like EoP!). I've taken Miles up to r3 primarily because of a supposed ability to reliably counter Unblockable. And he just doesn't appear to be reliable.

But is it me? Am I subconsciously making this happen? Because I don't believe he's reliable? I wonder if it's because of this line in his abilities?

If you watch these GIFs, I do briefly enter a block stance when fighting Blade mid-SP2, although I don't see it in the gif against Modok:

I think it may actually be bugged, because I think I kept getting clipped by Blades SP1 sword when I was dashing back. But if the problem is that Miles will simply not use his Miss Ability when he tries to use a well-timed block against an Unblockable attack, can that bit of code not be changed or updated?

Otherwise it's an ability that very obviously isn't one you can appear to rely on, but in order for the ability to be reliable, you need to trust and have faith in it. Which hopefully you can see, is a problem...? If it feels unreliable, you're likely to try blocking; and that is what actually causes the ability to fail...

Can the Kabam team take a look and have a think about whether this needs a bug fix, or an adjustment? And can the community add their thoughts - does Miles need fixed/adjusted? Or do I gotta have faith?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    In case it's considered a bug:
    Running Android on Xiaomi Mi Lite 5G
    In Eternity of Pain
    Version 38.2.0
  • Options
    KaruseusKaruseus Posts: 528 ★★
    Unless miles has concussion, or some sort of aar, or unless the opponent cannot miss, i totally have faith in miles’ camo miss. At least I never had a problem

As for if it is a bug or not, I don’t think it’s a bug. As you did mention he wont evade or miss when well-time blocking, which means the unblockable attack will register as hit.
    As for getting chipped by blade sp1, i believe that’s just bad dex timing.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,348 ★★★★
    edited April 2023
    You blocked against blade as you activated a dash, for some reason even if you don't hold the screen, a dash still activated a frame of a block, really messed you up. I can't see for sure but it looks like as you're hit against modok you throw your hands up for a frame also. Happens to me when I try to dash back for perfect Dex's with Shang chi I parry even though I don't hold block.

It's been a thing since the control issues started, games just clunky input wise and you can't fluidly multi dex or even single dex at times as you throw up a block for a frame or two. That's my 2c on the miss not working anyway.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Question, do you swipe forward to attack using your left hand or your right hand? Or do you touch the left side of the screen when swiping forward?
  • Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    This is surprisingly a common thing. Mostly for me it happens in War with the Unblockable SP2 mini boss. Bishop. Mangog. Doom. All the hits Miss EXCEPT the last. I stopped using Miles on that node specifically.
  • Options
    007Bishop007Bishop Posts: 362 ★★★
    Karuseus said:

Unless miles has concussion, or some sort of aar, or unless the opponent cannot miss, i totally have faith in miles’ camo miss. At least I never had a problem

As for if it is a bug or not, I don’t think it’s a bug. As you did mention he wont evade or miss when well-time blocking, which means the unblockable attack will register as hit.
    As for getting chipped by blade sp1, i believe that’s just bad dex timing.

miles' camo is unaffected by aar. The only thing that counters it is a miss counter
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,118 ★★★★
    I may have part of an answer...

Firstly, sorry to see this mags, properly rubbish, particularly in an EOP run...

Anyway. Dashing back *by swiping the left side of the screen* counts as a block, albeit for a micro second.

I know this from preparing for EOP thunderbolts, where swiping back on the left side, with juggernaut, removes an unstoppable, but if you swipe back from the right, it does not.

I did not know this until I saw a YT vid on it while preparing.

So I'm guessing part of this is dashing back, using the left side of the screen, is what is causing the invisible block, which takes away the unblockable miss mechanic.

Thunderbolts was my last run and I wish I knew this before my spiders run, as I had similar issues; getting clipped by blade and modok.

However, once I had either of them against the right wall and was only using heavy attacks and not even touching the left of the screen, I would no longer get clipped.

Blade, I did it first time, despite being clipped by an sp1, but modok I was hit by multiple times, trying to get him backed up. It was horrible... I'm guessing it was swiping back on the left side that caused my issues.

On both your GIFs it looks like your try to swipe back at the end of their specials (as you instinctively do if fighting them normally) and if you swiped from the left, it counted as a micro block... Maybe?
  • Options
    They fixed the juggernaut thing though
  • Options
    Is it possible the final hit of their specials us in fact not unblockable? Or whichever hit it is that hits
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,118 ★★★★

They fixed the juggernaut thing though

Likely they only fixed that for juggs. Dashing back, is likely to still be a micro block for other characters.
  • Options

I may have part of an answer...

Firstly, sorry to see this mags, properly rubbish, particularly in an EOP run...

Anyway. Dashing back *by swiping the left side of the screen* counts as a block, albeit for a micro second.

I know this from preparing for EOP thunderbolts, where swiping back on the left side, with juggernaut, removes an unstoppable, but if you swipe back from the right, it does not.

I did not know this until I saw a YT vid on it while preparing.

So I'm guessing part of this is dashing back, using the left side of the screen, is what is causing the invisible block, which takes away the unblockable miss mechanic.

Thunderbolts was my last run and I wish I knew this before my spiders run, as I had similar issues; getting clipped by blade and modok.

However, once I had either of them against the right wall and was only using heavy attacks and not even touching the left of the screen, I would no longer get clipped.

Blade, I did it first time, despite being clipped by an sp1, but modok I was hit by multiple times, trying to get him backed up. It was horrible... I'm guessing it was swiping back on the left side that caused my issues.

On both your GIFs it looks like your try to swipe back at the end of their specials (as you instinctively do if fighting them normally) and if you swiped from the left, it counted as a micro block... Maybe?

Yeah, I'm pretty much wondering that.

The post started as a somewhat grumpy 'this is a bug' thread and evolved into a question as I wrote it. As I kept going over it, the 'trying to block' explanation loomed larger, and started rewriting the whole post.

I do think that if the explanation is that Miles is only good against Unblockable hits if you have the confidence not to even try and block then, then that's a somewhat poor design choice, where his own abilities are punishing you for muscle memory!