**May 8th - HOT FIX INCOMING**
Hey Summoners,
A Hot Fix will be pushed to all stores shortly. This will address a bug causing crashes on some iOS devices. Please keep an eye out and update when you're able.
Thank you!
Options

Returning to the Contest after ~3 years

Viper198787Viper198787 Posts: 463 ★★★
Hello fellow Summoners!

I returned back to the Contest after roughly a 3 year break (I stopped playing when Longshot and Mojo were released for reference). I see so many new champions that got me excited to come back and play. I just wanted to get some quick bullet points on what I missed. I see 7* are now a thing 🤯. What champs should I be on the look out for now? Are the older champs that used to be part of the meta still good like CAIW, Ghost, Fury? Battlegrounds is a bit tricky for me to get into as well so still trying to learn that. Just give me your best tips, tricks, champs, and info I may have missed in the past few years. I appreciate you all and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    HSS75HSS75 Posts: 1,143 ★★★
    edited June 2023
    There are a lot of new champions those past 3 years you can look for guides on youtube when you need to know about certain champs and go to some youtubers tier list to see who is good also read the info on champions in game cause that can help too
  • Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    edited June 2023
    Best advice I can give you is to ask questions as you progress. There’s way too much that has taken place over the last 3 years to give any decent version of an update without either missing things or taking way too much time to get it all out. The game is much easier in earlier content to progress in terms of champ acquisition, champ quality, and difficulty of content Act 6 and earlier. You will breeze through a lot of stuff significantly faster than you did when you first played. The community is here to help. Ask questions as you have them and we will do our best to point you in good directions.
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 894 ★★★

Hello fellow Summoners!

I returned back to the Contest after roughly a 3 year break (I stopped playing when Longshot and Mojo were released for reference). I see so many new champions that got me excited to come back and play. I just wanted to get some quick bullet points on what I missed. I see 7* are now a thing 🤯. What champs should I be on the look out for now? Are the older champs that used to be part of the meta still good like CAIW, Ghost, Fury? Battlegrounds is a bit tricky for me to get into as well so still trying to learn that. Just give me your best tips, tricks, champs, and info I may have missed in the past few years. I appreciate you all and thanks in advance!

CaIW fell off a bit but still a great champ, Nick and Ghost are both amazing and at the top of the champ pool rn.
  • Options
    HSS75 said:

There are a lot of new champions those past 3 years you can look for guides on youtube when you need to know about certain champs and go to some youtubers tier list to see who is good also read the info on champions in game cause that can help too

I tried looking for some tier guides to get a general sense but it’s amazing how subjective it all is. They seem to differ quite a bit. I even came across a ranking that was based on community votes and a lot of the new champs were at the bottom, I’m assuming because the majority probably don’t have them to play with. I guess there’s a ton of good champs though.
  • Options
    Booya5Booya5 Posts: 7
    Bring an endless supply of patience and low expectations to prepare yourself for mind-reading AI, server sluggishness, and dropped inputs.

Just kidding. What I really meant is, uninstall now and save yourself.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,728 Guardian

Hello fellow Summoners!

Longshot and Mojo were released at the beginning of 2020. Which means you missed, in terms of high value meta champs: Apocalypse, Immortal Abomination, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Tigra, Kitty Pryde, Hercules, Shang Chi, Spiderman 2099, Hulkling, Quicksilver, Rintrah, Scorpion, Omega Sentinel, Galan, and Absorbing Man. And also YMMV champs like Dragon Man, Immortal Hulk, Professor X, Sasquatch, Spider Ham, Storm X, Knull, Mr. Negative, Nimrod, Overseer, Gorr, Wiccan, Titania, and Black Cat.

Ghost, Fury, Quake all still good, but Quake less so as she's still not available as 6* yet. But I would say the meta is dominated by champs that have been released since you left. A useful resource if you were not using it prior is the web site Auntm.ai. It has all the champions in the game and the basic information about each: abilities, stats, synergies.

Best advice I can give on Battlegrounds is that there's too much to try to learn everything at once, because your opponent is actively trying to throw curveballs at you during the matches, and the nodes change every month. So just presume you're going to lose a lot initially, and just jump in and start fighting. After you've gotten a few matches under your belt and you understand how the mode works, and more importantly you start having *specific* questions about the mode, then you can start looking at guides and videos and stuff. Before you actually experience the mode, the answers people give you will likely be to questions you don't understand yet. Get a feel for it, then start asking questions.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,728 Guardian

HSS75 said:

I tried looking for some tier guides to get a general sense but it’s amazing how subjective it all is. They seem to differ quite a bit. I even came across a ranking that was based on community votes and a lot of the new champs were at the bottom, I’m assuming because the majority probably don’t have them to play with. I guess there’s a ton of good champs though.
    Ratings and tiers are subjective because the current "meta" of the game, such as it is, is for higher tier and challenging content to be less about brute force and more about counter abilities. The content will throw specific defenders and nodes at you designed to challenge your roster, and certain champs will be better at that content while other champs will be worse. Very few champs are good at almost everything and no champ is good at literally everything. Aside from the very few champs that are *nearly* universal counters (Hercules, Kitty) most content requires different champs for different fights. Which means which champs are "better" or "worse" can depend greatly on which parts of the game you prioritize. Some champs are not super useful in most content but can generate a lot of wins in Battlegrounds. That's hugely valuable, but only if that's something you do a lot. Some champs are good in war but not necessarily good at single player content. Some champs are very good attackers but not great defenders. Some champs are good at long-form content but not good at short bursty fights.

And probably the thing that distorts people's opinions on champs is that different champs have different overlapping abilities. So you will often see arguments on the forums where one person will say a particular champ is great, and another player will say that champ is worthless, then the first player will say that champ is really good at X, and then the second player will say that's irrelevant because they don't need X, because they already have other champs that can do X.

This is a bit of a circular argument, but also highlights that the value of a champ depends on the player and their roster. If they don't have a champ that can do X, then X becomes highly important and when they get a champ that can do X they will value that champ highly. Other players might not, but that's because they have three other champs that can do X but lack a champ that can do Y. Very, very, very, very few players can factor such considerations out of their champion value judgment.

There's no answer to the question of who's best. There isn't even really useful answers to who is better than who. What really matters is what can each champ do well, and which ones do you have to assemble teams from.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Hello fellow Summoners!

Longshot and Mojo were released at the beginning of 2020. Which means you missed, in terms of high value meta champs: Apocalypse, Immortal Abomination, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Tigra, Kitty Pryde, Hercules, Shang Chi, Spiderman 2099, Hulkling, Quicksilver, Rintrah, Scorpion, Omega Sentinel, Galan, and Absorbing Man. And also YMMV champs like Dragon Man, Immortal Hulk, Professor X, Sasquatch, Spider Ham, Storm X, Knull, Mr. Negative, Nimrod, Overseer, Gorr, Wiccan, Titania, and Black Cat.

Ghost, Fury, Quake all still good, but Quake less so as she's still not available as 6* yet. But I would say the meta is dominated by champs that have been released since you left. A useful resource if you were not using it prior is the web site Auntm.ai. It has all the champions in the game and the basic information about each: abilities, stats, synergies.

Best advice I can give on Battlegrounds is that there's too much to try to learn everything at once, because your opponent is actively trying to throw curveballs at you during the matches, and the nodes change every month. So just presume you're going to lose a lot initially, and just jump in and start fighting. After you've gotten a few matches under your belt and you understand how the mode works, and more importantly you start having *specific* questions about the mode, then you can start looking at guides and videos and stuff. Before you actually experience the mode, the answers people give you will likely be to questions you don't understand yet. Get a feel for it, then start asking questions.
    Thank you for your insight. It’s nice to see you’re still around giving detailed feedback. I’m glad most of the new champs are useful and worth investing in. It also sounds like there’s a lot more focus on having a wide variety of champs to help clear content rather than you must have X champ to clear content or you’re screwed.

Battlegrounds are a bit of an enigma to me. I’m still learning the ropes and what I should do in order to excel. I may just need to find some videos to educate me.

I appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    I_tell_no_tales_1I_tell_no_tales_1 Posts: 1,193 ★★★★
    The game became more buggy with every update for the past 1.5 years
    Be on lookout for dropped inputs and other bugs
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,639 ★★★★★
    abam said:

Turn and run. You are making a huge mistake. This game sucks.

Why are you here? Genuinely asking. If I thought the game sucked I wouldn't play it anymore.