Is Nimrod overrated?

Gainsley_HarriottGainsley_Harriott Member Posts: 255 ★★
Why is he so high up in “Top Champion” videos? Kingslayer MCOC puts him at number 4 and KT1 at number 6.

He demolishes mutants like crazy, I completely get that but that’s around 1/6th of the roster. Magneto demolishes around 1/3rd of the roster but is nowhere to be seen in top champ lists. I’m not saying Mags should be, but I’m drawing a comparison here.

Against the rest, Nimrod is average and never amongst the best options.

I feel like I’m qualified to say this as the owner of a 6*R5 200 sig Nimrod. And yes I do know how to use him:
- Double medium/parries to build armors in Titan protocol.
- SP1 with 10 armors or between protocol switch for both energise and energy vulnerability.
- SP2 with 10 armors or when in eradicate mode.

Heck I even use the Hulkbuster relic, yet the DPS against non-mutants just seems underwhelming compared to loads of other champs.

He’s a good champion overall but I honestly don’t see how he’s top 10 in the entire game.

Comments

• Gainsley_HarriottGainsley_Harriott Member Posts: 255 ★★
    edited August 2023
    Can people who disagree care to provide any reasoning? I’m open to having my mind changed.

I have max sig max 6 star champ, of course I want him to be good lol

I think it's about how tanky and safe nimrod is in comparison to other champions.

When I'm using him i'm not bothered about getting hit on the face, I have a sig 200 R5 Nimrod as well and I can see how he is considered as one of the top champs. Playing him is like Kingpin, you have full control over the fight and even if you mess up that's not a big issue and about the Mags point you made, yes he counters all metal champs and his sp3 gives the same satisfaction as Nimrod's sp2 but some people don't like the parry heavy style and consider it boring , also it's not a safe play (sames goes for AA) plus nimrod takes less time to build up to that nuke sp in comparison to Mags.

You're just talking about damage here but you're forgetting how much utility he has along with the damage.

Appreciate the insight on Nimrod being tanky and similar to Kingpin; DPS not being his strong suit.

I know it’s a nitpick but Mags parry/heavy style is actually very safe. Long stuns, his unstoppable can come in clutch and not to mention the 50% perfect block chance.

Agreed that it’s boring though
    mgj0630 said:

I think you're also forgetting to take some of his utility into account.

To your comparison, sure Magneto is great against metal, but that's it. I'm not sure his kit extends any further.

Nimrod on the other hand, in addition to very good damage, can be a great option for specific nodes through his ability to shut down regen (through a mechanism that isn't a heal block) and wipe out prowess on any champ.

Wiping out regen I admit is great utility; I’m not sure how many times you’re gonna come across regen and Mags automatically wipes out regen for 1/3rd of the game regardless.

I can imagine outside of mutants (who Nimrod dominates anyways), you are going to come across prowess even more rarely than regen.
  • Hort4Hort4 Member Posts: 503 ★★★
    Nimrod is better against the other 5/6 non mutants than Magneto is against the 2/3 non metal. I don’t see issues with him against non mutants. Takes a little more time but he is very safe to play. I rarely see Magneto in BG decks but Nimrod is in almost every deck. Nimrod also is both bleed and poison immune.
  • Toyota_2015Toyota_2015 Member Posts: 507 ★★★

mgj0630 said:

To your comparison, sure Magneto is great against metal, but that's it. I'm not sure his kit extends any further.

Nimrod on the other hand, in addition to very good damage, can be a great option for specific nodes through his ability to shut down regen (through a mechanism that isn't a heal block) and wipe out prowess on any champ.

Wiping out regen I admit is great utility; I’m not sure how many times you’re gonna come across regen and Mags automatically wipes out regen for 1/3rd of the game regardless.

I can imagine outside of mutants (who Nimrod dominates anyways), you are going to come across prowess even more rarely than regen.
    Not necessarily. There are quite a few nodes in the game that give regen and prowess to non-mutant champs. Vision from the BrutalDLX challenge is a great example
    Ironically, Mags is a better counter to that Vision than Nimrod 😜
    Of course. I wouldn't recommend taking Nimrod into that fight either, since there are much better options. However, he can still do the fight if needed. He's a champion that can be applied to a lot of scenarios and that makes him valuable. It's easier to rank up one champion that's fairly decent at handling a lot of nodes than to rank up a bunch of different champions just because you need the BEST possible counter for every fight
  • JustWantTheRewardsJustWantTheRewards Member Posts: 442 ★★★
    Mutants do take up a fairly small portion of champions, but you also have to take into account that not all champions are thrown on defense or placed in quests. Nimrod destroys act 7 and 8 where most quests have 3 bosses. If just one of them is Mutant, Nimrod has already won. Even if they're not, being able to get rid of Passive Regen without heal blocking is a pretty damn underrated piece of Utility.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,373 ★★★★★
    No, he’s not overrated

I don’t really understand your reasoning here, he’s great at what he does and a very safe option for other fights as well. In the bleed meta he was consistently destroying some of the hardest defenders in less than 60 seconds and they weren’t even mutants. There are so many champs in this game that are built to counter a specific type of champion, and they’re all great. Torch is average in matchups that aren’t energy/mystic based, but he annihilates the matchups he was designed for with ease. AA can’t take champs that can’t bleed or be poisoned but he’s still a top champ to take on some of the most annoying defenders.

Nimrod was designed as a hard counter to most mutants. He does that extremely well, and he also takes out other champs nicely too, though he’s not the fastest. I’ve used him against KP’s and and Iboms in battlegrounds and he still does really well in those fights. Between him, fantman, and warlock, you’ve got your primary mutant killers covered pretty much. Nimrod handles pretty much everything well on his own though
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,295 ★★★★★
    edited August 2023
    Nimrod is still the best mutant slayer in the game, no contest. If the opponent can be shocked, he wins. If the opponent has regen or prowess, he wins. This guy is Tech Human Torch

He’s also very easy to use and has great survivability with his regen on sp3 and high armor.
  • DarkEternityDarkEternity Member Posts: 785 ★★★★
    I’m not even going to refute your points, the one thing I will say is:

Look at how much harder it is to plan without a Nimrod in AW. That is all.
  • ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Member Posts: 3,112 ★★★★★
    He’s the tech human torch. He negates every annoying mutant damn near and has solid utility in general, similar to how torch melts the mystic class and all energy based attackers
  • HSS75HSS75 Member Posts: 1,161 ★★★
    Nimrod is great, a good tank as well as power drain when his enemies use specials and he gets armor ups every time he parries.
    Magneto is good but can't compare to him in terms of utility.
  • DUHveedDUHveed Member Posts: 356 ★★★

mgj0630 said:

I came across a Gorr in BG and used my r5 Nimrod. No suicides and even though it was only an r3 the fight was over in 40 seconds. Constant regen= constant yeeting

• DUHveedDUHveed Member Posts: 356 ★★★
    I love my r5 Nimrod even in non-ideal situations. I run ouchies so of course him gaining the attack boost is very beneficial. I like using him for the huge burst damage from the sp2, and like others have said, how safe he is to use and his sustainability. In his orange protocol you get some limited power control and in armor protocol they get a cowardice debuff when they use a special. In many fights this damage is extremely minimal if you need to eat an sp3.
    I don’t think anyone has mentioned it here, but he’s also a terrific Havok counter since he is always gonna have an armor up buff up
  • BulmktBulmkt Member Posts: 1,614 ★★★★

Why is he so high up in “Top Champion” videos? Kingslayer MCOC puts him at number 4 and KT1 at number 6.

He demolishes mutants like crazy, I completely get that but that’s around 1/6th of the roster. Magneto demolishes around 1/3rd of the roster but is nowhere to be seen in top champ lists. I’m not saying Mags should be, but I’m drawing a comparison here.

I feel like I’m qualified to say this as the owner of a 6*R5 200 sig Nimrod. And yes I do know how to use him:
    - SP1 with 10 armors or between protocol switch for both energise and energy vulnerability.

Heck I even use the Hulkbuster relic, yet the DPS against non-mutants just seems underwhelming compared to loads of other champs.

He’s a good champion overall but I honestly don’t see how he’s top 10 in the entire game.

The original question is Nimrod’s subjective ‘tech ranking.’

So then what are the communities best 5 tech champs then?
  • ArmageddønArmageddøn Member Posts: 827 ★★★
    Bulmkt said:

The original question is Nimrod’s subjective ‘tech ranking.’

So then what are the communities best 5 tech champs then?
    Easy...

Iron patriot
    Green goblin
    Red skull
    Og Ironman
    Doc ock
  • Ghost_FanGhost_Fan Member Posts: 273 ★★★

Can people who disagree care to provide any reasoning? I’m open to having my mind changed.

I have max sig max 6 star champ, of course I want him to be good lol

I like that this guy is trying to have a civil conversation and people keep spamming disagree like it means anything lol.

This 'community' never ceases to amaze me