Options

Fixing BG for 95% of players with one simple change

FrydayFryday Posts: 729 ★★★★
I write long, so for anyone who can't be bother:-

TDLR:-
Change - From Gold Tier 3 to Vibranium Tier 2
Requirement - 5 Token to progress to the next Tier, Win = + 2 Token, Lose = - 1 Token.
Yep it is that simple.

Explanation below:-

Since the start of BGs, I have seen so many posts made regarding various issue about BG, including instant KO and auto drafting.

However I feel like this season have the most posts made about the discontent with the game mode. Most are about the "unfair" matching system, I can do appreciated the argument from both side.

1) I do understand and accept that highly skilled players or/and big accounts should get better rewards.

2) While at the same time I can understand the hopelessness feeling when facing an account 3 or 4 times bigger than yourself:-

Like this for example:-

The result was a Lost 1-2, I was quite happy to manage to win 1 fight.

Now to help with this Kabam create an artificial matching calculation so players mainly have matchup similar to their account size until Platinum. However this created 2 problems:-

1) Players with larger accounts, have to face some very hard matchup until they get to Plat, so don't feel/get the benefit for all of their hard work /spending in building big accounts

2) Players at lower level get an misconception and shock when they made it to Plat and start facing much bigger account, as the matching calculation change and start to match all players in the same Tier.

So Kabam solution was the Seeding systems, which in theory would of work, however by starting the 1 Token Win and -1 Token Lost at Gold, and have 3 Tiers in Vibranium that require 5 Token per Tier. It complete defeated the propose of seeding. As all it does is create a bottleneck problem in the Vibranium Ranking. Players might start at different ranking, however a lot would just get stuck at Vibranium (if anything the seeding and the new Ranking, only make this problem start even earlier, that is why so many players faced this problem and so many post about it).

Take my matchup above, with someone at the skill level and account size, I would imagine he/she should be in GC by the beginning of week 2, instead of still in Vibranium with a small players like myself. Right now as we are coming into the end of week 2, there are no player in GC between Uru 3 and 2, as most that would normally be there are still stuck in the 1 win, 1 lost Vibranium trap.

So by change how the Ranking and Token progress between Gold 3 and Vibranium

Change - From Gold Tier 3 to Vibranium Tier 2
Requirement - 5 Token to progress to the next Tier, Win = + 2 Token, Lose = - 1 Token.

it help with so many BG problems and people involve including:-

Matching Problem:-
This combine with the seeding system, it would mean the players can make a steady progress toward the level that meant to be for them. In doing so players would naturally be matched with similar account size / skills level to themselves, as bigger account or higher skill level would move through those ranking faster.

I'm not saying that every players will get to GC, but at least whatever Ranking you are end up, you would of gotten there while facing similar players to yourself, which make losing a bit easier to accept.

Point Farming
Another complain players have made before is some players stay in a certain Ranking to farm for point (to be fair this only work with very big size account to guarantee the win, so a every small amount of players, I assume), currently with the 1 Token Win, -1 Token Lost and require 5 Tokens to progress in Vibranium, for anyone that does Point farming, I would imagine it would be so much easier to do so.

But if it was 2 Token Win, -1 Token Lost and require 5 Tokens to progress in Vibranium, it would be much more work to Point farm, as you would have to Lose 2 for every 1 Win. So it won't stop players if that what they really want to do, but it sure would be more work.

Kabam Development Team
For the team, well this should fix the problem with the BG Mode, and less concern for the team.

Kabam Forum Team
For @Kabam Miike and @Kabam Jax , it would mean less Thread made about how unfair the matching system is to deal with lol

For anyone else that doesn't find any problem with BG at the moment, well then there is no problem then, might just mean less waiting time to find a match for yourself.

So really the only people that would not benefit from this would be players the Point Farming, in which case, you can press the Disagreed button.

Comments

• Options

BGs are not a game mode that rewards the ability to just grind.

Hi @BringPopcorn ,

With what I suggest above it does not give the all the rewards to players as a long a they "grind".

I'm do believe that an Uncollected, Cav or even Thornbreaker (and even some Paragon) would get to GC without skills.

Players would still only reach a certain Ranking, based on their account size and/or skills, but at least they would naturally faces similar players like themselves.

And I believe that itself would enable players to enjoy the mode more.

If you are players that is crushing in BG that is great 😊, it would have no effect on you, you will still get way better rewards than other players.

So I can see how that is a bad things, a win win for all.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,910 ★★★★★
    Fryday said:

Hi @BringPopcorn ,

With what I suggest above it does not give the all the rewards to players as a long a they "grind".

I'm do believe that an Uncollected, Cav or even Thornbreaker (and even some Paragon) would get to GC without skills.

Players would still only reach a certain Ranking, based on their account size and/or skills, but at least they would naturally faces similar players like themselves.

If you are players that is crushing in BG that is great 😊, it would have no effect on you, you will still get way better rewards than other players.

Who said anything about GC?
    Players already reach Plat2 facing similar size, skill is not measurable.
    I could argue in the spirit of competition that I agree with your 2 points for winning 1 point for losing only if losing coins can demote you back to the previous tier.
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

My finger was on the trigger to send the Jax screenshot, but i held back because it wasn't mainly complaining about matchmaking

Hi @ahmynuts

Is that the one where he talking about the 50% Win and 50% Lost thing? 🤣🤣🤣?

If so I seen it 🤣🤣🤣.

However that would also be a good point, because in that @Kabam Jax talk about players expectations should change unlike playing Solo content.

However with the current way Token work in Vibranium, you could have 4 players, all getting 50% win and 50% lost and all still stuck in the same Tier, as matching and drafing can have a massive affect of how the match play out. So by the end of it all you have all 4 unhappy players lol.

If that isn't the screenshot you meant then let me know.
  • Options

Fryday said:

Hi @BringPopcorn ,

Who said anything about GC?
    Players already reach Plat2 facing similar size, skill is not measurable.
    I could argue in the spirit of competition that I agree with your 2 points for winning 1 point for losing only if losing coins can demote you back to the previous tier.
    To be honest, for if it was just me, I would prefer (with the current seeding system in place) to have open season to all Tier, and having 2 Win 1 Lost, so biggest and better players can move to their right Tier faster.

And overtime we would get more evenly match up naturally rather than the current artificial calculate up to Gold, similar to AW
  • Options
    JustWantTheRewardsJustWantTheRewards Posts: 442 ★★★
    Usually in ranked modes, players end up in a certain tier based on their win rate. A well designed system will have players managing a win rate larger than 50% in ever tier up until the Placement they deserve to be in, which should even out to about 50%. If they go further than their deserved placement, their win rate should drop below 50%.

Using the +2, -1 token system that far into the VT is bound to cause issues. Players with a 50% win rate are still likely to win 3 matches, then lose 3, maintaining that 50% win rate. This means that players could be bumped up further past the placement they're meant to have simply by having a little more luck with Matchmaking than players in the same tier. This would be more of a headache for players struggling to make it to the GC. If they make it further than they're supposed to, their win rate should theoretically drop further below 50% and they'll be continuously matched with players who are meant to be further ahead. Larger rosters, more skilled players, etc.
  • Options
    Il_CuocoIl_Cuoco Posts: 17
    BGs is not far off - a couple tweaks to the current system would make it less terrible. Maybe just giving a victory shield every 5 or 6 wins you have in a given tier (or 8 or 10, I'm sure the data is available to figure out a good number) to keep people from getting too stuck.
  • Options
    Il_Cuoco said:

BGs is not far off - a couple tweaks to the current system would make it less terrible. Maybe just giving a victory shield every 5 or 6 wins you have in a given tier (or 8 or 10, I'm sure the data is available to figure out a good number) to keep people from getting too stuck.

So someone who wins 5 matches but lost 15 deserves to advance? How is that not just grinding?
  • Options

I repeat, BGs are not a grinding game mode where you play and X ammount of matches and advance, I could argue that if you lose an X ammount of matches a player should drop tiers too.
    Making advancing easier is more about getting rewards than enjoying the game mode, isnt it?

I think this might be where we see thing in different perpective (and may have to agree to disagree).

I don't see my suggestion as a way "to grind" for rewards.

It is a way to create a more natural similar players matchup and enable enjoyment for all players.

It is also a balance between competive and and encouraging participation.

Honestly look at it, there are 19 tiers rewards in VT, between Bronze and Gold ranking, is only 9 tiers rewards. I don't think it hunt anyone much to let smaller players account to get something to encouraging participation (and reduce matching time).

For very skilled players like yourself, you still have 10 tiers plus whatever from GC more extra than those players, and you are not losing out anything, so why not let small/new players get a little something and try to enjoy the mode a little.

Remember less participation mean more waiting time for match up. Feel like that is an ok balance for all players.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,167 ★★★★★
    Fryday said:

ahmynuts said:

My finger was on the trigger to send the Jax screenshot, but i held back because it wasn't mainly complaining about matchmaking

Hi @ahmynuts

If so I seen it 🤣🤣🤣.

However that would also be a good point, because in that @Kabam Jax talk about players expectations should change unlike playing Solo content.

However with the current way Token work in Vibranium, you could have 4 players, all getting 50% win and 50% lost and all still stuck in the same Tier, as matching and drafing can have a massive affect of how the match play out. So by the end of it all you have all 4 unhappy players lol.

This is the screenshot I was talking about lol
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

Fryday said:

ahmynuts said:

Hi @ahmynuts

If so I seen it 🤣🤣🤣.

This is the screenshot I was talking about lol
    Hi @ahmynuts.

Many thanks for the screenshot

Yeah that is the one I saw, where he mention about the 50% win and 50% lost thing, as I mentioned with the way current Token work, we could have a bunch of players, all winning 50% and lose 50% and still all of them still stuck in the same Tiers, where some should be higher but just got unlucky with a bad dralf, lost connection, 1 bad input...ect
  • Options
    Fryday said:

I repeat, BGs are not a grinding game mode where you play and X ammount of matches and advance, I could argue that if you lose an X ammount of matches a player should drop tiers too.
    Making advancing easier is more about getting rewards than enjoying the game mode, isnt it?

I think this might be where we see thing in different perpective (and may have to agree to disagree).

It is a way to create a more natural similar players matchup and enable enjoyment for all players.

Honestly look at it, there are 19 tiers rewards in VT, between Bronze and Gold ranking, is only 9 tiers rewards. I don't think it hunt anyone much to let smaller players account to get something to encouraging participation (and reduce matching time).

For very skilled players like yourself, you still have 10 tiers plus whatever from GC more extra than those players, and you are not losing out anything, so why not let small/new players get a little something and try to enjoy the mode a little.

Remember less participation mean more waiting time for match up. Feel like that is an ok balance for all players.
    So you are admitting its just for rewards when you are saying "I don't think it hunt anyone much to let smaller players account to get something to encouraging participation (and reduce matching time)." They already have that up to Plat2, specially with seeding since GC players start in Plat1.
    Stop masking this threads and calling them changes to make it more enjoyable. It has nothing to do about enjoyment its always about the rewards.
    If its not about the rewards I got a proposal.
    Fine do 2 coins per win 1 coin per loss; but lower the ammount of tier rewards 50% and put them in GC tiers. That way people can get the so called "enjoyment" and try really really really hard to look foward to get into GC for great rewards.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,279 ★★★★★

Usually in ranked modes, players end up in a certain tier based on their win rate. A well designed system will have players managing a win rate larger than 50% in ever tier up until the Placement they deserve to be in, which should even out to about 50%. If they go further than their deserved placement, their win rate should drop below 50%.

Using the +2, -1 token system that far into the VT is bound to cause issues. Players with a 50% win rate are still likely to win 3 matches, then lose 3, maintaining that 50% win rate. This means that players could be bumped up further past the placement they're meant to have simply by having a little more luck with Matchmaking than players in the same tier. This would be more of a headache for players struggling to make it to the GC. If they make it further than they're supposed to, their win rate should theoretically drop further below 50% and they'll be continuously matched with players who are meant to be further ahead. Larger rosters, more skilled players, etc.

That's precisely the point. Players aren't locked in a 100% success rate mechanism for 10 Tiers, which is beyond the realm of just competitive. It's a funnel, a very narrow funnel.
    Which I'm sure people will reassert that the comment was the "best of the best" are to advance. Only, that's not just the best of the best. That's the expectation of a perfect record. Unless you choose to use Shields, and I wouldn't advise it unless you're one away from advancing.
    So then it becomes weeks of trying to get a streak of Wins with very little room for error. You get one, you lose one. You get two, you lose one. You get it back, you lose one. You lose two. You start over.
    That's too narrow, even for Paragons. Which, originally the argument was the lowest Accounts were advancing faster. Now that's evolved into something that punishes anyone who doesn't have perfect success.
  • Options

Fryday said:

So you are admitting its just for rewards when you are saying "I don't think it hunt anyone much to let smaller players account to get something to encouraging participation (and reduce matching time)." They already have that up to Plat2, specially with seeding since GC players start in Plat1.
    Stop masking this threads and calling them changes to make it more enjoyable. It has nothing to do about enjoyment its always about the rewards.
    Fine do 2 coins per win 1 coin per loss; but lower the ammount of tier rewards 50% and put them in GC tiers. That way people can get the so called "enjoyment" and try really really really hard to look foward to get into GC for great rewards.
    I think I will leave our discussion here, as I can see we don't see thing in similar perpective.

Just a note, I start this season in Plat, so what I'm talking about (betwen Bronze and Gold) isn't for me, but I try to put myself in other shoe.

Anyway I will just accept to agree to disagree with you on this point.

Hope you have a good weekend 😊
  • Options
    Even that would be reasonable with the last 3 Tiers to get into the GC, but to have it from Gold 1 up just acts as a bottle cap for a large number of Players. People will burn out faster than they grow.
  • Options
    Fryday said:

Fryday said:

I think I will leave our discussion here, as I can see we don't see thing in similar perpective.

Just a note, I start this season in Plat, so what I'm talking about (betwen Bronze and Gold) isn't for me, but I try to put myself in other shoe.

Anyway I will just accept to agree to disagree with you on this point.

Hope you have a good weekend 😊
    We can agree to disagree on this.
    I will just remind you of seasons 8 and 9 when the 2-1 coin system was implemented. GC was full of UC/Cavs even some conquerors, and it took nearly 200 points in GC to get out of URU. Its obvious they realized that is not what they wanted.
  • Options
    How does it make it easy for anyone? You're still having the same, random Matches as everyone else, plus you're going through everyone from Plat up that was seeded from the GC.
    This business about how easy people would have it is a complete exaggeration. To the detriment of the mode itself. There's a difference between too easy, and perfect results.
  • Options

So then it becomes weeks of trying to get a streak of Wins with very little room for error. You get one, you lose one. You get two, you lose one. You get it back, you lose one. You lose two. You start over.
    That's too narrow, even for Paragons
    I'm honestly not totally sure what you mean by the 100% win rate or perfect success stuff, but the part I quoted is exactly how every Ranked mode is intended to work.

You can't allow every player to obtain a win rate over 50% for every one of the ranked Tiers, unless they're stronger than over 50% of the players in every ranked tier. In games like Apex, that means being more skilled. In games like MCOC, that means having a larger roster and/or being more skilled.

If the tier you're currently in has you winning one, losing one, winning two, losing two, then you're exactly where you're supposed to be. I'm currently doing the same in Plat 1. I know I could make Diamond with my current roster, but I need to put more time into improving my skill and game knowledge. If I made it to Diamond without changing anything, then I'd be getting matched with larger rosters while still not fully understanding how to approach the same fights I've been struggling with, which would make it even harder to improve. I would start losing more matches than I'd be winning, I'd get frustrated, and that would be an example of a genuinely poorly designed Ranked system.
  • Options
    WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,340 ★★★★
    That‘s what those shields are actually for … if u are one win away from next Tier, use them to protect your score. They wanna make money ofc.
  • Options

How does it make it easy for anyone? You're still having the same, random Matches as everyone else, plus you're going through everyone from Plat up that was seeded from the GC.
    This business about how easy people would have it is a complete exaggeration. To the detriment of the mode itself. There's a difference between too easy, and perfect results.

Perfect result? You can advance with a 3-2 win loss ratio. How is a 60% success rate even close to being perfect?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm going to call Harvard, Yale and every Ivy league school and give them this reasoning. They should let 2.0 GPA and D average students in their schools, just for the enjoyment of a higher education, of course they would have to be accepted with full scholarships cause others are P2W otherwise.
    And it has nothing to do with the benefits of getting a diploma from them, its just so people enjoy the ride and not get discouraged.
  • Options
    Within the Tiers, you need 100% Wins. You can advance with winning 2, losing one, winning two. That's not 50/50.
    That goes up to 5 within Vibranium.
    It's evident that some people are fundamentally for system like that, but it's not a reasonable expectation, and I'm not going to pretend it is.
  • Options

Within the Tiers, you need 100% Wins. You can advance with winning 2, losing one, winning two. That's not 50/50.
    That goes up to 5 within Vibranium.
    It's evident that some people are fundamentally for system like that, but it's not a reasonable expectation, and I'm not going to pretend it is.

You don't need a 100% win rate. Winning 4, losing two, winning 3 is a less than 80% win rate and easily enough to progress in Vibranium. Hell, you could even lose 95, win 5. That's a 5% win rate that could get you past Vibranium. Every player belongs in a certain tier. Every single one. Whatever tier you're able to manage a ~50% win rate in is exactly where you belong, you're just not meant to get any further and I'm not sure why you would expect to.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    So basically, someone who loses 10 matches in a row and then manages to win 1 lose 1 and then finally win 1 for the 3rd coin advances to the next tier and deserves the same rewards as someone who won 2 matches. Pretty neat for a competition.
    How is that not grinding at all 🤣