Battlegrounds point farming in Gladiator Circuit?

IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Member Posts: 1,274 ★★★★
So since the original post is talking about ranks I interpreted it as victory track, but it could also mean gladiator circuit. In my opinion it should be fair to try and get as high as you can in gladiator circuit with marks, then when you start losing because of the big accounts switch to energy until you're at a point where you can win again. Then switch back to marks obviously.

I feel like this could be classified as point farming too, but it just feels wrong since it's in gladiator circuit. I am in diamond 1 now and only using marks but I'd like to know the situation on this before hitting glad circuit. If any mod could weigh in on this that'd be great.

Comments

• tnair2015tnair2015 Member Posts: 120
    +1
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,393 Guardian
    LJF said:

It's unsurprising that Kabam hasn't addressed this kind of point. They haven't given any details on what is or is not "farming" except to say that "deliberately losing" runs contrary to the spirit of the game mode. Setting aside that inconsistency with literally every other game mode (outside of maybe AW, but they don't punish deliberate losses there, only shelling), Kabam has given us zero information on what it means to deliberately lose a match. And because their entire position on the matter is so vague and undefined, legitimate players will certainly be called cheaters through no fault of their own.

If kabam draws a line, then people (especially the cheaters) will get as close to that line as possible and just abuse the system all the same as before without actually crossing that line. There is a reason why it is vague.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,422 ★★★★★
    LJF said:

It's unsurprising that Kabam hasn't addressed this kind of point. They haven't given any details on what is or is not "farming" except to say that "deliberately losing" runs contrary to the spirit of the game mode. Setting aside that inconsistency with literally every other game mode (outside of maybe AW, but they don't punish deliberate losses there, only shelling), Kabam has given us zero information on what it means to deliberately lose a match. And because their entire position on the matter is so vague and undefined, legitimate players will certainly be called cheaters through no fault of their own.

They are giving you a chance to use common sense and be smart about it, remember when they addressed the gifting situation in the last event?
    Well people who used 3 or 4 alts were fine, then you had others who thought they were smart with 40+ alts getting their stuff taken away...
    Its really on the player to decide if they are benefitting or exploiting something.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,422 ★★★★★

Why would you take losses in GC where points really matter?

Because in GC I reach a point where I can't win anymore. It's not that I take losses it's just that there is a 99% chance of losing when my opponent has the best 7 stars r2 end rest r5 while I have 4 r5s and rest r4. And that's totally fine, I just found my roster limit and if I want to go further then I need to advance my roster.

The problem is I am at that point without completing all solo milestones. I have to play more if I want the top rewards (5k titan shards) but I have to waste elder marks because otherwise I'm at the risk of getting banned. That's just illigical to me, and the opposite of strategic play.
    I don't think you understand how point farming works.
    Just play your matches with energy and elder marks as you please, you will be fine.
  • FieryWaterFieryWater Member Posts: 53

Because in GC I reach a point where I can't win anymore. It's not that I take losses it's just that there is a 99% chance of losing when my opponent has the best 7 stars r2 end rest r5 while I have 4 r5s and rest r4. And that's totally fine, I just found my roster limit and if I want to go further then I need to advance my roster.

The problem is I am at that point without completing all solo milestones. I have to play more if I want the top rewards (5k titan shards) but I have to waste elder marks because otherwise I'm at the risk of getting banned. That's just illigical to me, and the opposite of strategic play.
    The simple solution to that is to use energy to play matches till you have dropped down enough where you think that you can start using EMs and have a high win rate. Of course, no guarantees it goes your way. I've had days when I win all my energy matchups, and lose all the ones I play with EMs. Sucks, but it is what it is. You gotta figure out how to best optimise when you use energy, and when you use EMs, and hope it works out
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★

As long as you aren't deliberately losing you can use energy. If you get to that point, start using energy and lose because they're better than you, you're not going to get banned.
  • IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Member Posts: 1,274 ★★★★

Just play your matches with energy and elder marks as you please, you will be fine.
    I understand how point farming works because I have done it. I'm just worried that they have a detection system that shows winning with elder marks and losing with energy = ban.

Idk how they will detect I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the input I hope you're right.

As long as you aren't deliberately losing you can use energy. If you get to that point, start using energy and lose because they're better than you, you're not going to get banned.
    That's how it should work, I have a feeling a lot of ppl are going to get wrongly banned.
  • Justcause102Justcause102 Member Posts: 140
    Regarding point farming, it's quite simple to misinterpret what Jax stated in the post. He seemed to be talking about those who were remaining in diamond only to obtain easy points versus lower accounts, at least that's my interpretation.

• GreekhitGreekhit Member Posts: 2,820 ★★★★★

I understand how point farming works because I have done it. I'm just worried that they have a detection system that shows winning with elder marks and losing with energy = ban.

Idk how they will detect I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the input I hope you're right.
    Ok let’s settle it up for everyone.
    Big difference in win ratio between EMs and Energy matches will raise a flag.
    These accounts will get investigated more detailed, and for the most broad differences that have a big enough number of matches played, the green light for ban will be given.
    It’s uncertain what % difference will be considered as a bannable offence, since there is not something specific announced.
    Personally I would expect any difference around 80% or over to be green lighted for ban.
    Let’s be honest, you can’t win only 10% of your matches using energy and at the same time win 90% of those you used EMs, after playing over a hundred of matches, without doing that intentionally to farm points.

• CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Member Posts: 7,957 ★★★★★
    I fully expect them to only check for forfeits when they crack down on this. Just enjoy the game mode and use elder marks and energy as strategically as you see fit.
    Crcrcrc said:

I fully expect them to only check for forfeits when they crack down on this. Just enjoy the game mode and use elder marks and energy as strategically as you see fit.

The problem is that if you use elder marks and energy as strategically as you see fit, you won’t be enjoying not only the game mode but the game in general for at least a week 😂
    Greekhit said:

These accounts will get investigated more detailed, and for the most broad differences that have a big enough number of matches played, the green light for ban will be given.
    It’s uncertain what % difference will be considered as a bannable offence, since there is not something specific announced.
    Personally I would expect any difference around 80% or over to be green lighted for ban.
    Let’s be honest, you can’t win only 10% of your matches using energy and at the same time win 90% of those you used EMs, after playing over a hundred of matches, without doing that intentionally to farm points.

How can you be so sure? Do you have communication from kabam on this? They could also only be checking for forfeits hypothetically
  • iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Member Posts: 728 ★★★★
    Greekhit said:

This would be totally unfair and wrong, of course the ration for EMs will be a lot bigger, people will use the whole stash of EMs before using energy '-'

If i play 50 matches using EM and won like 35 of them, that's 70% of win rate
    If i play 10 matches using energy and win 5 of them, that's 50% win rate
    You can say ''oh but you lost more matches using energy'' but that can be for X reasons, i posted the other day a bug that happened to me where the game crashed and i simply lost because of an error message....
    Kabam do need to adress what it's consider farming cause otherwise people who are actually struggling to get to GC (like me) can be wrongfully banned
  • iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Member Posts: 728 ★★★★
    edited October 2023
    Pikolu said:

LJF said:

If kabam draws a line, then people (especially the cheaters) will get as close to that line as possible and just abuse the system all the same as before without actually crossing that line. There is a reason why it is vague.
    I understand your point but at the same time, if someone is doing what is consider wrong in the eyes of the company and doesn't know it's wrong, i don't see a fit reason for banning and that's why we need more transparency, maybe if kabam rework the matchmaking system so these people who are farming will stop facing weaker accounts?
    Or maybe if kabam give a little boost to the points in general and then the whole farming might stop idk
  • XFREEDOMXXFREEDOMX Member Posts: 525 ★★★
    And what about those who don't care about BG but want to get 48 hrs objectives(complete 3 matches) done? I know a few of my alliance mates who used to use energy to queue up a match and go afk.
  • JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Member Posts: 1,191 ★★★★
    So what if your revive farming against stronger players then what
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Member Posts: 1,422 ★★★★★
    There are so many different scenarios that it will be so difficult to implement. They have too strict of a criteria, they will ban lots and lots of innocent people. If they are too lenient, all scenarios posted above will be safe with only a handful of top scorers who farmed pretty obviously will be banned. I don’t know which route kabam will go but I anticipate this will be executed “absolutely without any glitch”.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,416 ★★★★★

If you are playing and legit losing matches then there is no way they will ban you, no matte what currency you used to enter the fight. If you are quitting matches then maybe. I are pretending to legit fight each match while ensuring you lose, that's a tough one for Kabam, because they cannot read your mind and would have to punish you based on an assumption, which I doubt they would do.

Personally, I see no reason to pretend to lose because I do that enough organically. I just play until I am getting my hat handed to me over and over, and then I wait until the next month. I can't fuss over some virtual doodads on which I might miss out. Just a video game.
  • JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Member Posts: 1,191 ★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

There are so many different scenarios that it will be so difficult to implement. They have too strict of a criteria, they will ban lots and lots of innocent people. If they are too lenient, all scenarios posted above will be safe with only a handful of top scorers who farmed pretty obviously will be banned. I don’t know which route kabam will go but I anticipate this will be executed “absolutely without any glitch”.

Yeah, some group will be mad no matter what happens.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,408 ★★★★
    As long as you have enough Elder Marks, losing still grants you more than 3x an energy completion and is an okay enough trade-off for me of time vs resource management.

Of course the optimal strategy is lose with Energy and win with Elder Marks, but when Elder Marks themselves are meaningless for the most part, then that optimization doesn't exactly matter.

For me, Season to Season, Elder Marks are meaningless aside from this season and the Cap's Commissary event. Typically, the Solo milestones are meaningless to me (essentially just 6-star shards that you already can get cheaply from the store), and my Alliance doesn't require any specific amount of points for the Alliance Milestones.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,355 Guardian
    LJF said:

In Vegas, there is no explicit definition of "counting cards." You could argue that's just smart play. But you will still get kicked out for doing it, and you can appeal all you want for a handbook of what is legal and not legal when it comes to tracking cards, and nobody will answer you.

Of course, no one can actually *tell* when you're counting cards. That would take telepathy. What they can observe is whether your betting strategy is consistent with trying to leverage counting cards. They can then infer you're counting cards and act accordingly, without "proof." I'm assuming Kabam is doing something similar. There's no way to tell if someone is deliberately losing or not. But you can tell if the player is spending energy and marks in a way consistent with deliberately losing to farm points. A player that is "playing smartly" as some describe, will still sometimes win with energy and lose with marks, because they are only trying to guess at the outcome. But a player who is deliberately point farming will almost always lose with energy and almost always win with marks, because they have their thumbs on the scale. They aren't guessing whether they will lose or not, they *know*.

In effect, point farming is not just about deliberately losing. It is about taking advantage of the fact you know with perfect accuracy when you're going to lose. Which currency you spend is a kind of prediction. If you're always right, Kabam can presume you aren't able to see the future, you are always right about when you will lose because you are deliberately losing. Whether Kabam is as good as this as the average Vegas pit boss, I cannot say. But that's the only logical way this can be done.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★

That's how it should work, I have a feeling a lot of ppl are going to get wrongly banned.
    I doubt it, I've been doing this myself cause I lose 90% of my matches in Arcane due to my roster so no point in using elder marks there, I only use marks in Gamma and below. I'll let you know if I get banned since you seem genuinely concerned though.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,355 Guardian
    LJF said:

DNA3000 said:

LJF said:

In Vegas, there is no explicit definition of "counting cards." You could argue that's just smart play. But you will still get kicked out for doing it, and you can appeal all you want for a handbook of what is legal and not legal when it comes to tracking cards, and nobody will answer you.

Of course, no one can actually *tell* when you're counting cards. That would take telepathy. What they can observe is whether your betting strategy is consistent with trying to leverage counting cards. They can then infer you're counting cards and act accordingly, without "proof." I'm assuming Kabam is doing something similar. There's no way to tell if someone is deliberately losing or not. But you can tell if the player is spending energy and marks in a way consistent with deliberately losing to farm points. A player that is "playing smartly" as some describe, will still sometimes win with energy and lose with marks, because they are only trying to guess at the outcome. But a player who is deliberately point farming will almost always lose with energy and almost always win with marks, because they have their thumbs on the scale. They aren't guessing whether they will lose or not, they *know*.

In effect, point farming is not just about deliberately losing. It is about taking advantage of the fact you know with perfect accuracy when you're going to lose. Which currency you spend is a kind of prediction. If you're always right, Kabam can presume you aren't able to see the future, you are always right about when you will lose because you are deliberately losing. Whether Kabam is as good as this as the average Vegas pit boss, I cannot say. But that's the only logical way this can be done.
    That is a good example, and it presents an alternative explanation to my legal one. The key difference, however, is that in Vegas, the house plays the game. Any hand the blackjack player wins necessarily takes money away from the casino. The house is therefore incentivized to make its zero-sum game unfair in its favor. Because it runs the show, it does exactly that. In Vegas, from the very beginning, any gambler heading into a casino knows (or should know) that they're playing a game in which (1) the odds are stacked against them and (2) their opponent makes the rules. They can't cry foul because there's transparency in that system. They're supposed to lose because "the house always wins."

By contrast, Kabam does not play in Battlegrounds matches. It's not a zero sum game to Kabam, any outcome to them (one player wins, one player loses) is the same regardless of the actual outcome to the players themselves. Instead they're a moderator/overseer/police, making sure it's fair for the players and free of people who ruin the experience *for other players* by cheating them out of wins.

Because of Vegas' position as the opponent in card games, it's not analogous to Kabam role in the Battlegrounds. Kabam's is not trying to money at the player's expense. Its goal is to ensure Battlegrounds are **fair** for everyone who plays. Players stepping into MCOC don't walk in expecting an unfair game they will always lose. The basis for the rule (direct losses in a zero sum game) just isn't present in Battlegrounds.

The point that Vegas doesn't define card counting applies to some degree here, but it breaks down once you look at the role of the casino compared to the role of Kabam. They're just not analogous.
    The role Kabam plays as arbiter is irrelevant here. The question is how farming is detected, not what the interests Kabam has in actually detecting it are. Why would Kabam's goal of being a fair arbiter in BG cause them to be unable to exercise the same procedures and methodology as card counting detection in Vegas. Is there something about being an arbiter that would make them incapable of doing it?

To put it another way, suppose I was trained to detect card counting. I go to Vegas and start watching the tables. I am a completely independent observer. I have no self-interest in what happens on those tables. I simply have the same training as the Vegas pit bosses. Are you saying that because I don't have the same interests as the pit bosses, I will be less capable of detecting card counters as the pit bosses are? I literally have the same training and the same observation skills, and I literally have the same view of the game (pit bosses are not able to see anything that the players of black jack cannot see by rule: it would potentially open the door to *them* being co-opted into cheating). So what would make me less capable in this situation?

Greekhit said:

This would be totally unfair and wrong, of course the ration for EMs will be a lot bigger, people will use the whole stash of EMs before using energy '-'

If i play 50 matches using EM and won like 35 of them, that's 70% of win rate
    If i play 10 matches using energy and win 5 of them, that's 50% win rate
    You can say ''oh but you lost more matches using energy'' but that can be for X reasons, i posted the other day a bug that happened to me where the game crashed and i simply lost because of an error message....
    Kabam do need to adress what it's consider farming cause otherwise people who are actually struggling to get to GC (like me) can be wrongfully banned
    You are talking about a total of 60 matches and a 20% (70%-50%) win ratio difference between EMs and energy.
    In my post i'm talking for bigger samples of matches (100+), but most importantly for bigger win ratio differences between the two BGs currencies (80% or more).
    Yes if you have played 150 matches and you have won 90% of those you used EMs, while you have won only 10% or less of those you used energy, then you are obviously point farming 😉
    I can't believe people are arguing that's not point farming, and even more I can't believe they don't expect Kabam to use currency win ratio % difference as a tool to flag and investigate accounts that are still point farming.
    I'm against bans for just playing the game effectively, since if Kabam didn't liked it they could change the game parameters itself by adjusting points for currencies and by adding escalating point multipliers on each VT and GC tier, but I'm also not naive to believe they won't use their data to spot the "offenders" 🤷