Does Sandman suck?

RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★
Pulled him from this ‘Gifted Guardian’ crystal. Stepped back from the game from June so had no idea what he does or where he landed until a hour ago. Reading comments and watching videos have gotten me feeling like that was an L.

So, what is the consensus on Sandman? Does he really suck?

Does Sandman suck? 253 votes

Yes
55%
SnakeEyes69DrZolaSpity68ZENSecondSkrillerChovnerGK_23Terrakus234CropDusterNavneettravgiantNemesis666HendrossxXkuyxXFurious_Fighter1BrokenHilldarMoosetiptronicScopeotoe987 140 votes
No
44%
BigPoppaCBONEZeke_the_XbotA_rock007MegaSkater67Heinz11Warren_painAzKicker316BigTuna_2054Vegeta9001bryce7mMagrailothosNescioSungjCat_Murdockpisceancaptaincushrealdiehl5ShadowstrikeAshyKnucklesOsfan8 113 votes

Comments

• RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

Pulled him from this ‘Gifted Guardian’ crystal. Stepped back from the game from June so had no idea what he does or where he landed until a hour ago. Reading comments and watching videos have gotten me feeling like that was an L.

in June*
    an hour**

Sorry grammar police
  • HippoSleek_JHippoSleek_J Member Posts: 184 ★★
    No
    It's strange that as a community, there seems to have been a bar set where by a champ 'sucks' if it doesn't stack up against specific attributes.
    Does Sandman finish fight fast and deal huge sudden damage? No.
    Does Sandman have great utility that allows him to flourish where others might struggle? Yes.
    He's a bit like Sym Supreme for me in that, when the right fight comes along, he is gonna make it real fun!
    I managed to get 7* Sandman from a Gifted Paragon crystal too!
  • RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★

It's strange that as a community, there seems to have been a bar set where by a champ 'sucks' if it doesn't stack up against specific attributes.
    Does Sandman have great utility that allows him to flourish where others might struggle? Yes.
    He's a bit like Sym Supreme for me in that, when the right fight comes along, he is gonna make it real fun!

Nice! Could you please tell me what his optimal rotation is?
  • ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,207 ★★★★★

I think it's less about specific attributes for many people and more about "its sandman, he's awesome and we've wanted him for forever.... why isn't he awesome?"

(I like sandman btw I'm not trying to catch heat lmao)
  • SchnoodleSchnoodle Member Posts: 214 ★★
    Yes
    I’m wondering if he’d be any good acting as a brick wall in BG. Just as a big health pool in defense.
  • Prismane1269Prismane1269 Member Posts: 218
    Yes
    7* Unduped one sucks if ur main focus is bgs.
    But decent for AW or story content
  • Cap_MuricaCap_Murica Member Posts: 336 ★★★
    No
    Unduped 7-star Sandman hits like a wet noodle. On the other hand, my 6-star, ascended max sig Sandman is an absolute unit in AW or just general questing.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,338 ★★★★★
    No
    He's good for AW (path 9) and questing . His rotation is too slow for BGs. I like him but he won't be everyone's cup of tea. They shouldn't have moderated his buff so much imo but he's still good for certain situations.
  • Cap_MuricaCap_Murica Member Posts: 336 ★★★
    No
    Bugmat78 said:

He's good for AW (path 9) and questing . His rotation is too slow for BGs. I like him but he won't be everyone's cup of tea. They shouldn't have moderated his buff so much imo but he's still good for certain situations.

He can be very effective in BG's if you use the SP1-SP2 tactic. 3x 5-hit combos, SP1, 3x heavy and finish off with a SP2
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,338 ★★★★★
    No

Bugmat78 said:

He can be very effective in BG's if you use the SP1-SP2 tactic. 3x 5-hit combos, SP1, 3x heavy and finish off with a SP2
    Sounds right but in some metas all that can be too slow. Still I personally like him. My 6 is r5 and I will eventually r2 my 7*
  • KennyPLKennyPL Member Posts: 114 ★★
    Yes
    I can't believe i duped that sucker. Another few months off imminent...
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Member Posts: 1,533 ★★★★
    Rookiie said:

that seems like something best kept between him and his partner, tbh
  • SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Member Posts: 1,314 ★★★★★
    Yes

Bluntly, unduped 7 Star Sandman sucks.

Max (or moderately high) sig 7 Star Sandman will not suck - but, you aren't getting sigs on him any time soon, and when sig stones are released, there will likely be other Champions you'd rather put sigs into.

Why did they nerf his buff… then put all his damage into his sig while also releasing him as a 7 star… they really hate him, since he’s been done dirtier than Gladiator.
  • Darkness275Darkness275 Member Posts: 849 ★★★★
    edited December 2023
    No
    ahmynuts said:

There needs to be a middle option here. He doesn't suck and he's not amazing. He's just alright and really needs high sig

That would just be "No". You just said it, he doesn't suck. That doesn't mean he's amazing, the question is simply: "Does Sandman suck?".

Max (or moderately high) sig 7 Star Sandman will not suck - but, you aren't getting sigs on him any time soon, and when sig stones are released, there will likely be other Champions you'd rather put sigs into.

I have to disagree. I'm a little surprised as you always have the silver-lining perspective when talking about champions, though I genuinely love the earnest response.

Even without being awoken Sandman still has access to a great list of immunities, resistance and other utility. Can take down Diablo in Necro with ease. As stated above, he may not be amazing, but he doesn't suck. His huge damage is locked behind him being awoken, but he's more than just damage and I'm willing to be more situations like the Necro Diablo fight will arise and give him (even unduped) opportunities to shine.
  • SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Member Posts: 1,314 ★★★★★
    Yes

ahmynuts said:

There needs to be a middle option here. He doesn't suck and he's not amazing. He's just alright and really needs high sig

That would just be "No". You just said it, he doesn't suck. That doesn't mean he's amazing, the question is simply: "Does Sandman suck?".

I have to disagree. I'm a little surprised as you always have the silver-lining perspective when talking about champions, though I genuinely love the earnest response.

Even without being awoken Sandman still has access to a great list of immunities, resistance and other utility. Can take down Diablo in Necro with ease. As stated above, he may not be amazing, but he doesn't suck. His huge damage is locked behind him being awoken, but he's more than just damage and I'm willing to be more situations like the Necro Diablo fight will arise and give him (even unduped) opportunities to shine.
    There is no "huge damage" after being sig 200, it’s average damage at sig 200. Unawakened his damage is complete trash, terrible, unusable in battlegrounds since he would always time out no matter what.

Reversing healing isn’t a huge achievement. Especially when your sp1 takes 7 seconds from start to finish.