Is WoW Abs Man Anti-DoT Node Working as Intended?

Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,338 ★★★★★
A lot of mechanics that I would not classify as DoT do not seem to be applying to this Abs Man, and it seems to be because of this node. These include but are not limited to:

Overseer - both Retaliation and Cosmic Cube burst damage
Vision (AoU) - specials do fully nothing
Warlock - Infections do not apply

I’m sure there are others, this is just a quick roundup I wanted to post to see if we could get a game team response as to whether this is intentional or not.

Comments

• Madman_marvinMadman_marvin Member Posts: 666 ★★★★
    He’s immune to passive damage over time. So Herc, R Hulk, all those types of champs are about worthless.
  • SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Member Posts: 1,314 ★★★★★
    Wicket329 said:

He’s immune to passive damage over time. So Herc, R Hulk, all those types of champs are about worthless.

Right, over time is how I read the node. But I would think that instant burst damage should still apply. And then you have things like with Vision where even the power control aspect of the special is turned off, so you can’t get heal block because you can’t reduce his power.
    The node clearly says it includes all passive damage types, not just dot
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,833 ★★★★★
    edited February 7

Edit. Saw Pikolu's answer. Fully disagree that it counts as DoT.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,438 Guardian

Question then- If red numbers like from Rhulk is considered DoT, then why isn't basic attacks considered DoT?

Because the game was coded that the burst damage isn't actually a burst, but a DoT with duration 0 or something like that so you get a 1 frame burst of damage. Game engine was created over 10 years ago, blame the people who made it that way, not the ones who have to use it that way now.
  • TeddersTedders Member Posts: 140 ★★
    I just want to know why warlock's infection isn't working is it intended or a bug

Pikolu said:

Burst damage is a form of instant DoT, we already had this well known and established in the decay meta of war and BGs

Wtf is "instant damage over time"? 😂 They're contradicting each other
    That's where you went wrong kiddo, you used real world naming schemes and logic in a game. You can't think of DoT as Damage over Time, you just have to think of DoT as an object that a damage type, and a duration. The damage type can be many different things, including physical, energy, bleed...etc. Then the duration can be 0 seconds, 1 second, 2 seconds...etc.

The game engine goes, hey a DoT has been placed on the opponent, do some damage when it is initialized, and repeat that damage (or recalculate depending on implementation) every .5 seconds that the DoT is there.

That's the basic way the game likely sees DoTs. So the devs just tell red hulk to do a DoT of duration 0 and have the damage be based on how much damage the hit did.

Pikolu said:

Question then- If red numbers like from Rhulk is considered DoT, then why isn't basic attacks considered DoT?

Because the game was coded that the burst damage isn't actually a burst, but a DoT with duration 0 or something like that so you get a 1 frame burst of damage. Game engine was created over 10 years ago, blame the people who made it that way, not the ones who have to use it that way now.

Why can void deal his passive damage?

Why can Spam deal burst damage from his porker poppers?

Can you ask the team that please?
    It is already well known that void doesn't do DoTs and that power stings aren't a DoT either. Void just looks to see if a debuff is on the opponent, and if there is a debuff on them, he inflicts direct damage to the opponent while it is on them. It is very different from a DoT in implementation
  • GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Member, Guardian Posts: 6,482 Guardian
    Tedders said:

I just want to know why warlock's infection isn't working is it intended or a bug

It’s sadly a bug
    Tedders said:

That bug is getting fixed really soon. One of the nodes is causing all your attacks to count as non-contact.
  • GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Member, Guardian Posts: 6,482 Guardian
    Pikolu said:

Tedders said:

That bug is getting fixed really soon. One of the nodes is causing all your attacks to count as non-contact.
    Let’s hope