Champion Spotlight: Taskmaster

edited December 7 in General Discussion
Tony Masters was a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent exposed to an experimental variant of the Super-Soldier Serum, called the Mnemonic Primer. It grants him the ability to duplicate any movement he sees, but at a cost. The huge amount of information his brain records, causes it to overwrite his own memories, replacing what little remains of his original self. Now known as Taskmaster he offers his skills to the highest bidder as a mercenary and combat trainer.

Base Stats & Abilities
*All stats based on 4 Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99

Health: 15508
Attack: 1154
Max PI:
Without Signature: 3794
With Signature (99): 4647

Character Class: Skill

Basic Abilities: Exploit Weakness, Bleed, Armor Break

Passive - Photographic Reflexes
Each Unique Attack your opponent attempts decreases their Offensive Ability Accuracy by 10%, while increasing your Perfect Block Chance by the same amount.
Each Unique Attack you make decreases your Opponent’s Defensive Ability Accuracy by 10%.
Being Struck by a Special Attack resets both of these abilities’ effects.

Passive - Exploit Weakness
Taskmaster spots a weakness in the last attack his opponent attempts, which can be exploited by striking his opponent with that same attack within 10 seconds.
Successfully exploiting a weakness instantly deals 923 Direct Damage.
An attack that will trigger Exploit Weakness will not trigger Passive Evades or Auto-Blocks.
After Exploit Weakness is triggered or expires it goes on cooldown for 5 seconds.

Passive - Learn the Foe
Each time a Debuff is placed on Taskmaster, all future Debuffs placed on him have their Potency reduced by 10%.
If the Debuff Potency reduction reaches 100%, Taskmaster becomes Immune to Debuffs.

Passive - Heavy Attacks
If Exploit Weakness is on Cooldown, the Cooldown immediately ends, and the target is set.
If Taskmaster has triggered Exploit Weakness in the last second, or his current Exploit Weakness target is a Heavy Attack, he avoids any incoming attacks for the first second of charging this attack.

Special 1: Use their Weaknesses - Taskmaster is a master of landing the perfect strike to disrupt his opponent’s rhythm.
Causes Bleed lasting 5 seconds and dealing 173.1 damage, per Debuff triggered on the opponent this fight. Max Damage after 10 Debuffs.
This attack gains +403.9 Attack for each Debuff active on either Taskmaster or his opponent.

Special 2: Steal their Strengths - After even a single use, Taskmaster will turn even the most advanced of his opponent’s techniques back on them.
Causes Armor Break lasting 10 seconds reducing Armor by 352.94 per Buff triggered on the Opponent this fight. Max Damage after 10 Buffs.
This attack gains +403.9 Attack for each Debuff active on either Taskmaster or his Opponent.

Special 3: Ideal Counter - Taskmaster uses his mastery of his opponent’s own tactics to develop the ideal counter strategy.
If there is an active Exploit Weakness target it is automatically triggered, and it deals +932.2 additional Direct Damage.
Causes Bleed lasting 5 seconds and dealing 173.1 Damage, per Debuff triggered on the Opponent this fight. Max Damage after 10 Debuffs.
Causes Armor Break lasting 10 seconds reducing Armor by 352.94 per Buff triggered on the Opponent this fight. Max Damage after 10 Buffs.
This attack gains +403.9 Attack for each Debuff active on either Taskmaster or his Opponent.

Signature Ability: Intuitive Pattern Recognition - As Taskmaster fights each opponent he gains greater and greater understanding of their combat style as well as their most likely reactions, making it progressively more difficult for them to use even their most potent powers against him.

Increases Concussion Debuffs Durations by 4 second(s).
Each time Taskmaster Successfully triggers Exploit Weakness it places a Concussion Debuff on his Opponent reducing their Ability Accuracy by 10% for 6 seconds, and resetting the Duration of any currently active Concussions caused by this ability.
If Taskmaster places 5 Concussions on his Opponent simultaneously, they convert into a Passive effect which reduces Ability Accuracy by 50% for 15 seconds, counts as 5 Debuffs for Taskmaster’s other Abilities, and removes the Exploit Weakness cooldown timer. While this effect is active, Taskmaster will not trigger additional Concussion Debuffs.

Synergy Bonuses

Hawkeye - Mostly Average Joes - Unique Synergy
Taskmaster: If Taskmaster’s current Exploit Weakness target attack is a Special Attack, all his Special Attacks become Unblockable.
Hawkeye: Special 3 gains a 100% chance to trigger Hemorrhage, without counting towards Hawkeye’s Hemorrhage activation limit.

Winter Soldier - Thunderbolts - Unique Synergy
Taskmaster: Current Exploit Weakness target Attack has a 20% chance to become Unblockable.
Winter Soldier: EMP Upgrade gains a flat +5% chance to trigger..

Moon Knight - Termination Contract - Unique Synergy
Taskmaster: Gains a 30% chance to Evade, against his current Exploit Weakness target.
Moon Knight: All of Moon Knight’s Moon Phase Abilities gains a flat +10% chance to trigger.

Crossbones - Professors in Crime - Unique Synergy
Taskmaster: Instantly gain 5% of his Max Power each time he Exploits a Weakness.
Crossbones: Entering Overrun resets the Duration of all active Fury Buffs..

Recommended Masteries

Deep Wounds
The Bleed on Taskmasters SP1 doesn’t look terribly impressive on the surface, but it can stack up really quickly by stacking Debuffs over the course of a fight, and triggering it while several Debuffs (Signature Ability anyone?) are active on the Opponent. Its duration is also short enough that Deep Wounds can make a sizeable difference.

Resonate
Taskmaster has several abilities which build off of Debuffs on his Opponent, resonate allows him to stack those abilities up as he goes about his standard gameplay rotation.

Glass Cannon
Much of Taskmaster’s defence comes in the form of Perfect Block Chance, or evading the blow entirely, both of which neatly counter the extra damage from Glass Cannon, while allow him to fully benefit from the bonus attack.

Strong Matchups:

Electro
Bait out a few different attacks, place a few Concussions, and drive Electro’s Defensive Ability Accuracy down to allow for safer strikes against everyone's favorite walking thorns node.

Spider-Man (Classic)
With both Exploit Weakness, and Ability Accuracy reduction, Classic Spider-Man’s Spidey Sense won’t be as reliable as he’s used to, because who doesn’t need a little less Evade in their life?

Magik
Drive Magik’s ability accuracy into the ground as quickly as possible to minimize the number of Limbos she triggers over the course of the fight, and she shouldn’t be too tough to manage.

Weak Matchups

Cable
With class advantage, a Degen when you make him Bleed, and Special Attacks with enough hits that Taskmaster’s ability to avoid them is suspect at best, Cable can be a tough matchup.

Kingpin
If Taskmaster has his Signature Ability, every time he triggers Exploit Weakness (which he wants to do a lot) he risks just feeding Kingpin’s Rage! And his Black ISO gives him a chance to give Taskmaster a little tastes of his own Ability Accuracy shenanigans.

Rogue
With reduced Debuff Duration Rogue will be tricky to stack Concussions on, and she doesn’t care about Debuffing her Opponent, but she’ll gladly take the boost to her Lifesteal and Damage from having Class Advantage.
Tagged:

Comments

• Lol kinda late
  • Regarding Photographic Reflexes:
    - Does Unique attack mean Special Attack? If so, why the change in wording? Are there going to be unique attacks that aren't special attacks? Looking for some clarification here.
    - There is no cap listed, so I assume that means he can reach 100% perfect block and 100% ability reduction?
    - Any chance you guys can implement a counter to track what the ability is currently at?

Regarding Learn the Foe:
    - How does this ability interact with the suicide masteries? Does it count as 2 debuffs being placed on him already? Does the second one of the two get 10% potency reduction?

Regarding Special Attacks:
    - Does the attack bonus he gains during his specials impact the bleed damage from that special as well? Or does it only affect the physical hits.
  • Nope, nope no way. 'experimental serum'. Science experiment. He's science! Ha. Ok I guess you can catch a break with the other 3 Science additions, skill can still use the love after Blade.
  • Yet still no stats or PI for 5*s. Hum.
  • ChitlinsChitlins Posts: 73
    Yet still no stats or PI for 5*s. Hum.

Probably because no one went for him as a 5* cause he seems lackluster in the damage department
  • He really looks that bad huh, no interest in him?
  • Regarding Photographic Reflexes:
    - Does Unique attack mean Special Attack? If so, why the change in wording? Are there going to be unique attacks that aren't special attacks? Looking for some clarification here.
    - There is no cap listed, so I assume that means he can reach 100% perfect block and 100% ability reduction?
    - Any chance you guys can implement a counter to track what the ability is currently at?

Regarding Learn the Foe:
    - How does this ability interact with the suicide masteries? Does it count as 2 debuffs being placed on him already? Does the second one of the two get 10% potency reduction?

Regarding Special Attacks:
    - Does the attack bonus he gains during his specials impact the bleed damage from that special as well? Or does it only affect the physical hits.

Unique Attacks are not just Special Attacks. There are 6 "Unique Attacks". Light Attacks, Medium Attacks, Heavy Attacks, Special 1, Special 2 and Special 3. There's no Cap, but only 100% is not possible, because there are only 6 Unique attacks possible, there is a maximum of 60% Offensively, and 50% Defensively (If your opponent triggers a Special 3 you're going to get hit by it and reset the ability). As for the counter, we're looking into this for a future update.

As for the Suicide Masteries, that's a yes and yes!

Regarding Special Attacks, it affects his Bleed Damage, and the Damage of any Exploit Weaknesses triggered by a Special Attack as well.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 798
    Cliff notes? Taskmaster for dummies? Or maybe a compendium of Content creator videos?
  • I recently pulled a taskmaster and I have a question about his specials. Is his bleed and armor break supposed to activate 100% of the time or is it random. In the text of his special attacks it says “Causes”. When I use him he doesn’t always activate his bleed or armor break off a special. Please make it a 100% chance to make him a lot better.
  • AgentDoom9 wrote: »
    I recently pulled a taskmaster and I have a question about his specials. Is his bleed and armor break supposed to activate 100% of the time or is it random. In the text of his special attacks it says “Causes”. When I use him he doesn’t always activate his bleed or armor break off a special. Please make it a 100% chance to make him a lot better.
    One thing that would help the character a lot also is if it didn’t take so many debuffs to make him immune. If you compare him to blade in his ability to shrug off debuffs almost instantaneously if he is at full power and it isn’t that hard to get to three bars with blade. Compare this to Taskmaster where he needs to be hit by 10 debuffs to get his immunity and you actually need to take damage if we’re talking about damage over time debuffs which is probably what you want to be immune to. Let’s admit it getting hit by 10 bleed debuffs usually means death. Although the debuffs get less effective as more are put on Taskmaster and some champs like joe fixit and antman obviously stack debuffs in large quantities no one was asking for a counter to joe fixit. Taskmaster has awesome special attacks and looks great and I love the character, but I feel like he could be improved.(I’m not complaining just suggesting)
  • ESFESF Posts: 61
    I pulled this character from the Mnemonic Crystal and have tested him pretty extensively the last few days, and here's my take:

If you need an elite DPS character, Taskmaster isn't that. I won't pretend otherwise; that isn't what this character is all about.

What this character is -- in my opinion!! Again, just me -- is one of the most fun I have played in this game. I'm not a noob by any stretch; been here since Week 1.

Let me try to explain why this character a lot of fun to play:

1. Taskmaster makes you actually slow down and THINK. You can play the character with the usual combos and that's fine, but if you actually are patient and mimic your opponent's attacks via Exploit Weakness, what you find is that you quickly drive down their Ability Accuracy. It happens steadily, if you are patient and plan your attacks with precision.

2. So then if/when you bait out specials, holy cow -- you not only are a defensive genius with increased Perfect Block, you start absolutely tagging your opponent with Direct Damage on your Exploits -- and that adds up quicker than you think. Again, you aren't taking Taskmaster into, say, Labyrinth. He can't mitigate those kinds of health pools or offset with his damage. But for maybe...50K health opponents in special events? I THINK -- I don't have him higher than 2/20 right now, so this is a guesstimate -- Taskmaster can patiently pick annoying characters like Magik and Electro, and others that proc annoying effects/buffs, apart. I absolutely tore through an Electro in Modok's Lab, and because I was patient, was hardly taking any Static Damage.

3. Do not just gloss over the Heavy Attack description. You have to understand this one, then see it in action, to realize how awesome it is. See, here's the thing: It's a two-part heavy. But what they did is when it's the Exploit Weakness attack, you can't be hit during that first part, INCLUDING THE CHARGE UP, for one second. Does everyone get why that is important? If you play normally, when the heavy is the Exploit Weakness, your heavy is a guaranteed strike, and then your heavy attack resets the Exploit Weakness counter. Get it? That's the rotation you want -- you start dealing a ton of direct damage consistently, because every single time you reset the Exploit Weakness counter, you are winning. But again, you have to be patient to let that rotation develop.

4. The Hawkeye and Winter Soldier Unique Synergies make either the Special Attacks completely Unblockable when they are the Exploit, or give an increased chance for the other Exploit Weakness attack to be unblockable. Read that sentence again. Now read it again. Unblockable Specials 1 or 2!!! I was backed into the corner by a Juggernaut who went L1. Usually that means you are gonna take some extra block damage at a minimum, or if you mess up the timing on the evade, you get clipped by a heavy and Staggered. Right? Happens to the best of us. But because I was Unblockable, as soon as Unstoppable ran out, I fired off my L1 and broke out of that corner like a boss.

That's just with about 36 hours of gameplay, with him unawakened. In the hands of a more skilled player than me -- I am just above-average -- Taskmaster is going to get some serious midtier boss kills because once people realize how effective he is in longer fights if you are patient...it's hard to explain. You have to see it.

If you only judge characters by DPS or power control, then Taskmaster isn't for you. But if you want a Magik or Mordo killer and don't have a Blade...or if Scarlet Witch or Abomination are debuffing or poisoning you because you keep hitting them hard...man. I am telling you folks: Taskmaster his uses.

Good job with this one, Kabam Miike! Feel free to pass that along to the dev team, if you see this!
  • @ESF I totally agree with you his purpose isn’t damage. I think of him as a Captain America with Black Widow’s ability accuracy reduction. Plus he has bleed, armor break, and exploit weakness. I have him unduped as a 3/45 five star and I love him. I’m trying to dupe him because his dupe helps his Black Widow part so much. All skill champs are going to be compared to Blade from now on. Taskmaster isn’t another Blade he is a different type of skill who does different things. If he came out before Blade he would’ve been very popular I think. He takes some practice to use so don’t judge him right away until you’ve used him awhile.
    AgentDoom9 wrote: »
    @ESF I totally agree with you his purpose isn’t damage. I think of him as a Captain America with Black Widow’s ability accuracy reduction. Plus he has bleed, armor break, and exploit weakness. I have him unduped as a 3/45 five star and I love him. I’m trying to dupe him because his dupe helps his Black Widow part so much. All skill champs are going to be compared to Blade from now on. Taskmaster isn’t another Blade he is a different type of skill who does different things. If he came out before Blade he would’ve been very popular I think. He takes some practice to use so don’t judge him right away until you’ve used him awhile.

Exactly -- he totally reminds you of Captain America on defense, Black Widow on offense. I would pump an Awakening Gem on him in a heartbeat and am totally jealous you have him as a five-star. I had thought I was gonna take Blade to 5/50, or Hawkeye -- I play a Power Control style -- but I just might take Taskmaster because I really do think he is kinda unique.

He is absolutely gonna get his share of nice kills, once people figure out how he really works

I don't post very often in the champion spotlight threads. Is this a good place to leave just basic suggestions for consideration on how to possibly improve the character without making it OP, or does that just get ignored?

If Kabam Miike or a developer sees this, here is the truth: I don't like OP characters. I really don't. The suggestions I make are very tied to the most established lore of the characters, and I think that with Taskmaster, you guys have done an amazing job of making this character feel like the comic book lore.

But one thing: I think Taskmaster could really be amazing if you gave him the ability to either proc or replicate Precision and Cruelty buffs. I don't mind his DPS -- I really don't. He doesn't have Super-Strength, you know? I get that.

But he is an amazing fighter because of the Photographic Reflexes, and it would be pretty freaking cool if he could proc Precision and Cruelty on specials, like Black Widow, maybe? Maybe 2.5-3.5 seconds in duration?

Is that something that could be considered?
  • ESF wrote: »
    I don't post very often in the champion spotlight threads. Is this a good place to leave just basic suggestions for consideration on how to possibly improve the character without making it OP, or does that just get ignored?

If Kabam Miike or a developer sees this, here is the truth: I don't like OP characters. I really don't. The suggestions I make are very tied to the most established lore of the characters, and I think that with Taskmaster, you guys have done an amazing job of making this character feel like the comic book lore.

But one thing: I think Taskmaster could really be amazing if you gave him the ability to either proc or replicate Precision and Cruelty buffs. I don't mind his DPS -- I really don't. He doesn't have Super-Strength, you know? I get that.

But he is an amazing fighter because of the Photographic Reflexes, and it would be pretty freaking cool if he could proc Precision and Cruelty on specials, like Black Widow, maybe? Maybe 2.5-3.5 seconds in duration?

Is that something that could be considered?

dont bother every suggestion gets ignored on the champion spotlight thread. then if u make a discussion thread they direct you to here just so it gets ignored again.
  • vrtovrto Posts: 134
    ^^^^That King Groot kill was AMAZING^^^^

That video is what I was trying to describe. In the hands of a skilled player, Taskmaster could be absolutely lethal in those fights against characters around 15K-19K.

Gotta get mine awakened ASAP
  • Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 722
    vrto wrote: »

If you started to use your heavy after you trigger a non special exploit weakness, you’d be on another level. Good video.
  • vrtovrto Posts: 134
    edited December 10
    Viper1987 wrote: »
    If you started to use your heavy after you trigger a non special exploit weakness, you’d be on another level. Good video.

While that immediately locks another exploit weakness that would probably do it for a non special bound one, and in my trials that never resulted as an optimal strategy for me. May have to do with me using Parry Level one, but the parry damage on 5.3.5 is quite high, and I frequently got away too focused on exploit weakness, and ended making unusual mistakes... IMHO the best strategy is really to make opponent looping on firing first special, and rip the huge benefits of TM damage bonus when he fires the specials, as shown in Thor and BW fights, that strategy is why those were super quick!
  • nc7zlondsejy.jpeg
    Here is my Taskmaster. Glass canon is maxed.
  • vk6bdteq2uce.jpeg
    He has really high critical stats and block proficiency.
  • Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 11
    Do hemorrhage from Hawkeyes special 3 stack with this synergy?