"The Maker" Champion Concept I came up with on a whim

ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Member Posts: 3,276 ★★★★★
edited June 6 in General Discussion
Decided to cook this up on a whim cause I think that the Maker would be an extremely cool choice for a new champion. I put it in GD as it is more of a point of discussion rather than a suggestion (though I wouldn't mind if these ideas galvanise the addition of the Maker in the game).

Feedback is always appreciated. Some of these numbers I pulled with halfwit mathematics so feel free to point out anything you like or don't like.

(Also I've added text colouring for ease of reading)

Class: Tech

Maligned Physiology - Always Active:

Immune to Reverse Controls, Disorient, Falter, Bleed and Neuroshock effects.

The Maker has his Combat Power Rate reduced by -100%. But instead passively gains 7% of a Bar of Power over 1.5 seconds as a personal Power Gain passive whenever Attacking, Being Struck by Attacks or Triggering the Dexterity Mastery.

Personal Power Gain passives are exempt from External Power Rate and Ability Accuracy modification.

Insidious Machinations:

Whenever The Maker would lose power by any means, he gains Dominance charges equal to the percentage of his Max Power lost. The Maker starts the fight with 0 Dominance charges, but gains 1 Dominance charge per second while Defending.

At 100 Dominance charges, the Maker inflicts a Special Lock passive the next time the opponent launches a Special Attack. If the Special Lock successfully applies, the opponent will not consume any power from the triggered Special Attack. Additionally, the Special Lock passive is removed when the Maker is intercepted while defending.

While the Special Lock is active, at the end of the opponent’s Special Attack they are inflicted with a Power Drain passive lasting until the opponent is at 0% Power. This Power Drain effect drains 1% of the opponent’s Max Power per second.

If either the Power Drain or Special Lock is removed, the corresponding effect is removed as well.

Each second that the Power Drain is active increases the current potency by +33%.

Dominance Charges are unaffected by Ability Accuracy Reduction.

Complete Control:

Whenever the opponent loses power by any means, they gain Cataclysm Charges equal to each 1% of Max Power lost.

The Maker can select from a choice of Control Effects from his Pre-Fight Screen to apply to the opponent, scaling in potency based on each Cataclysm charge.

Power Gauge: Reduce the Opponent’s Power Rate by -2% above 2 Bars of Power per Cataclysm charge.
Spectre: Reduce Regeneration Rate by -5.5% per Cataclysm charge.
Cowardice: Reduce Special Attack Damage by -1.75% per Cataclysm charge.

Each Control Effect has a limit of 300 Cataclysm Charges.

If no effects are selected, The Maker will apply Cowardice by default. If more than one Control Effect is active, the Cataclysm Charge gain threshold increases by +0.75% of Max Power per additional active Control Effect.

Heavy Attacks:

While Charging a Heavy Attack, the Maker gains a Phase passive. If a miss is attempted while the Phase passive is active, the Phase passive expires after 2.5 second(s) and goes on cooldown for 16 second(s).

Each attempted miss grants the Maker gains one of his personal Power Gain passives.

Each successful hit invalidates 2 Prowess effects from the opponent and grants the Maker a personal Power Gain passive each time this effect is triggered.

Special 1: (3 Hits)

This Attack is Unblockable

Gain a 24 second Fury passive of 12.5% potency.

Any Personal Power Gain effects gained during this Special Attack gain +50% Potency. If the opponent is suffering from a Power Drain effect, instead they gain +200% Potency.

Special 2: (5 Hits)

The final 3 hits of this Special Attack deal a burst of Direct Damage equal to 0.56% of the hit’s inflicted damage for each Cataclysm charge on the opponent.

When fighting in Battlegrounds, the Burst Damage from this Special Attack will count an additional 150 Charges regardless of the amount of Cataclysm Charges active.

Special 3:

For each Control Effect active on the opponent, add 150 Cataclysm Charges to each Control Effect. This cannot bypass the 300 Cataclysm Charge limit per Control Effect.

Gain an indefinite non-stacking Energise effect increasing Power Rate by +33.33%.

Signature Ability - A Perfect World:

Start the fight with 5 - 40 Dominance Charges active.

The first time The Maker triggers an opponent’s immunity to Special Lock or Power Drain effects, his Power Gain is permanently increased by +15 - +95%.

Comments

• ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Member Posts: 3,276 ★★★★★
    Forgot to add this:

Insidious Machinations:

The Maker will not inflict Special Lock if he is suffering from Armour Break or Armour Shattered effects.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,317 ★★★★★
    The concept is nice but I wanna see the opponent doesn't consume power on his specials even if the special lock fails due to immunity. It would be really op to see some champs cheese against him completely. I'll rather have this over insidious machiantions.
    edited June 6

The concept is nice but I wanna see the opponent doesn't consume power on his specials even if the special lock fails due to immunity. It would be really op to see some champs cheese against him completely. I'll rather have this over insidious machiantions.

Yeah in retrospect I would have added that if the opponent is immune to the Power Drain as well, the power is consumed as normal.
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,239 ★★★★★
    Love the maker as a character in comics so this looks pretty cool. I didn’t read super thoroughly but his playstyle I think looks very similar to prof X. Idk if maybe too similar since they basically already look the same appearance wise. I still think he’d be a cool addition though.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,420 ★★★★★
    I thought he would be science because he’s Ultimate Reed Richards
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,442 ★★★★
    Awesome!

Already on MFF

So....we can change the color for some texts.
    Thanks!
    EdisonLaw said:

I thought he would be science because he’s Ultimate Reed Richards

I decided to make him a Tech champ to work towards improving the Tech class as the Science class is currently pretty stacked. That and it felt right to choose Tech for The Maker as opposed to Science (or Cosmic for that matter).

Love the maker as a character in comics so this looks pretty cool. I didn’t read super thoroughly but his playstyle I think looks very similar to prof X. Idk if maybe too similar since they basically already look the same appearance wise. I still think he’d be a cool addition though.

I honestly didn't think of that. But now that I'm rereading it, the SP1 spam and the Special Lock + Power Drain (though it's just me copying Terrax) combined with the constant detrimental effects makes him seem a like a mix of Mister Fantastic and Professor X.
  • JLordVileJJLordVileJ Member Posts: 3,467 ★★★★
    I love the maker
    In terms of synergies, I cooked these up:

Multiversal Fissure: - With Himself

Increase Attack Rating by +30% for every other Maker on your team.

Fantastic: - With Thing, Human Torch, Invisible Woman and Mister Fantastic

The Maker: Gain the effects of the active shared synergies between the Fantastic Four.

Other Synergy Champions: The first time the opponent would reach 3 Bars of Power, they are prevented from using their Special 3 attack for 12 seconds.

Where I End And You Begin: - With Mister Fantastic

Mister Fantastic: Careful Study debuffs cannot be removed from the opponent by any means once applied.

The Maker: When The Maker would be Knocked Out by a non-Special 3 attack, he activates his personal Phase passive for 3 seconds and takes no damage from the hit.

Opportunist: - With Venom, Carnage and Knull

Venom and Carnage: Inflicting Bleed or Armour Break debuffs grants a 10 second Undermine buff.

The Maker and Knull: Gain Immunity to Power Drain and Power Burn effects.

Horrific Minds: - With Superior Iron Man and Mister Sinister

The Maker: The first time the opponent launches a Special Attack, double the amount of Cataclysm charges inflicted.

Mister Sinister: Each active Degeneration on the opponent reduces their Armour Rating by -150

Superior Iron Man: Well-Timed Blocks grant a 0.5 second Unstoppable passive.
  • Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 499 ★★
    OP, LOVE the concept. Definitely worth exploring. Wish I'd thought of it.

In retrospect tho, there are a couple things:

1) His power gain is a bit low. 7% in 1.5 seconds: 100/7 = 14.285 x1.5 = 21.4275 seconds till his first bar of power. For content like battlegrounds, AQ, AW where time is of the essence, it's a bit less imo. Even in the case of a couple attempted misses, that's 13-14 seconds till the first special. Most champions attempting parry-heavy gain 1 bar in 10 seconds, so there's a 3 second gap. I'd suggest increasing the power gain while under 1 bar of power, and keeping it at 7% in 1.5s for the rest of the time; that's perfect.

2) "While the Special Lock is active, at the end of the opponent’s Special Attack they are inflicted with a Power Drain passive lasting until the opponent is at 0% Power. This Power Drain effect drains 1% of the opponent’s Max Power per second." The first sentence is impossible. While a special lock is active, an opponent can't launch a special, meaning the power drain never acts. This negates Cataclysm Charges completely, and thus, no damage.

If I've understood anything wrong, feel free to correct me. People on Forums are heavy on Disagree anyway so I'll see how wrong I am anyway lmao.

OP, LOVE the concept. Definitely worth exploring. Wish I'd thought of it.

In retrospect tho, there are a couple things:

1) His power gain is a bit low. 7% in 1.5 seconds: 100/7 = 14.285 x1.5 = 21.4275 seconds till his first bar of power. For content like battlegrounds, AQ, AW where time is of the essence, it's a bit less imo. Even in the case of a couple attempted misses, that's 13-14 seconds till the first special. Most champions attempting parry-heavy gain 1 bar in 10 seconds, so there's a 3 second gap. I'd suggest increasing the power gain while under 1 bar of power, and keeping it at 7% in 1.5s for the rest of the time; that's perfect.

2) "While the Special Lock is active, at the end of the opponent’s Special Attack they are inflicted with a Power Drain passive lasting until the opponent is at 0% Power. This Power Drain effect drains 1% of the opponent’s Max Power per second." The first sentence is impossible. While a special lock is active, an opponent can't launch a special, meaning the power drain never acts. This negates Cataclysm Charges completely, and thus, no damage.

If I've understood anything wrong, feel free to correct me. People on Forums are heavy on Disagree anyway so I'll see how wrong I am anyway lmao.

Getting a number for the Power Gain was hard to pinpoint so yeah, maybe it should be higher that what I've come up with cause I sort of had to wing it on a few things.

For that second point, what it's mean to mean is basically what happens to Bishop's Power Bar after he launches a Special Attack. The attack is launched, they are Special Locked during and after the Special Attack until they've reached 0 power due to the Power Drain.
    @ThatGuyYouSaw235 dude, the special lock isn't active before the special is launched, else Bishop can't launch the special in the first place. Imagine Bishop has a special lock applied to him and he reaches 2 bars of power. He can't throw that sp2 because the special lock is active. Just tweak the statement a bit and you'll be golden.
    @Archit_1812 I think you might have misread the statement in the concept.

"At 100 Dominance charges, the Maker inflicts a Special Lock passive the next time the opponent launches a Special Attack. If the Special Lock successfully applies, the opponent will not consume any power from the triggered Special Attack. Additionally, the Special Lock passive is removed when the Maker is intercepted while defending."

It states here that the Maker will only inflict a Special Lock after they launch the Special Attack. The Special Lock will only apply once the opponent launches the Special Attack, not before it is launched. This operates the same way that Bishop's and Terrax's power works after they launch a Special Attack, in that they launch their Special Attack and they retain their power (I'll admit, the Special Lock part only applies to Terrax as Bishop consumes his power after he finishes the Special Attack).

I'll probably go ahead and clarify that the main intention of this ability is not designed to prevent the opponent from using their Special Attacks, but grant the Maker a way to supercharge his Cataclysm charges. While the Special Lock and Power Drain is active, you want to get very aggressive with the opponent and hit them as much as possible so they get a lot of power, which will be eaten up by the exponentially increasing Power Drain on the opponent and give you more Cataclysm charges. (That being said, I'd add a passive Infuriate/Aggression effect while the Power Drain is active to make the AI more reliable and retweak the Power Gauge effect to not apply while the Power Drain is active as it would be counter-intuitive.)

One cool thing you can do while the opponent is Special Locked and Power Drain is spam SP1s. The way I've worded the Maker's Power Gain is that he can gain power from not just Basic Attacks, but dexing and Special Attack hits. The Power Gain boost on the SP1 is supercharged while the Special Lock is active, meaning you can spam the living hell out of them and get a bunch of Furies without worrying about it being blocked as it is an Unblockable attack.

Hope this clears things up.
    nice. i love it
  • Barrier ReefBarrier Reef Member Posts: 732 ★★★
    Maker is so sick.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,420 ★★★★★
    edited June 11
    @ThatGuyYouSaw235 what animations would you give the Maker? Mr Fantastic's animations? Surprised he doesn't have any DOT or other effects like other Techs
    EdisonLaw said:

@ThatGuyYouSaw235 what animations would you give the Maker? Mr Fantastic's animations? Surprised he doesn't have any DOT or other effects like other Techs

Basic Attacks should be similar to Mister Fantastic, just a bit more fluid and flashy. Hell, give him a 6 hit combo and give him more Power Gain why not. The Heavy Attack has to be multiple hits to cash in on the Prowess removal, so maybe have him charge some sort of static weapon that shocks the opponent (3-4) times.

The SP1 should be quick, two strikes. Maybe a stretched punch or kick. A projectile hit could be thrown in, from an expermimental contraption of sorts.

The SP2 should be similar to Mister Fantastic's SP2, except with two hits and three beam hits, maybe something like Kang's SP2 except stationary.

The SP3 should be something showcasing the Maker's intelligence and depravity. Maybe teleporting the opponent to the big bang or trapping them between two portals and have them be torn between them or something else idk.
    Few quick changes so I don't need to make another post:

Insidious Machinations:

FORMER: While the Special Lock is active, at the end of the opponent’s Special Attack they are inflicted with a Power Drain passive lasting until the opponent is at 0% Power. This Power Drain effect drains 1% of the opponent’s Max Power per second.

If either the Power Drain or Special Lock is removed, the corresponding effect is removed as well.

NEW: While this Special Lock is active, the opponent is Power Drained for 1% of their Max Power per second.

NOTE: Less word vomit, achieves exactly the same thing

Special 1:

NEW: Fury passives cap at 5. But have a 20% chance to be refreshed when gaining a Power Gain passive, raised to 200% when the opponent misses an attack or when they are struck by a Special Attack.

NOTE: This would put more focus on the SP2 while capping it to provide some degree of balance (i have no idea how ingame data would look like so I'm just taking a wild guess)

Special 2:

(All hits of this Special are intended to deal Energy Damage)

FORMER: The final 3 hits of this Special Attack deal a burst of Direct Damage equal to 0.56% of the hit’s inflicted damage for each Cataclysm charge on the opponent.

NEW: Reduce the opponent's Energy Resistance by -32.5 per Cataclysm Charge active on the opponent during this Special Attack.

NOTE: I feel this would be a more straight forward way of dealing damage for this Special Attack, plus it could make the difference in BGs as originally it was the final 3 hits that did massive damage.

Plus a BONUS synergy:

One By One: - With Iron Man and Kang

The Maker: The Class Disadvantage penalty is reversed when facing champions of the Cosmic or Superior class.

Iron Man: Increase the duration of which Armour Ups are paused from launching a Special Attack by +75%

Kang: Replace all Power Drain effects with matching Power Burn effects. Damage potency from Power Burn effects increases up to 100% based on the duration of the fight. Max bonus after 100 seconds.
    ONE LAST THING BEFORE I REVISE THE POST:

I conked up the Cataclysm charge effect numbers. The effects described are not what was intended. The numbers given for the Power Gauge, Cowardice and Spectre are representative of 10 CHARGES not 1, the existing numbers are far too broken considering the charges for each effect scale up to 300, which are a bit too broken mainly for the Power Gauge effect which would have maxed out at 600%.

Sorry for any confusion.