Demon Bear - Champion kit concept

WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,039 ★★★
DEMON BEAR - MYSTIC

PASSIVE
-Demon Bear’s mystical body and thick fur grant him immunity to all bleed, coldsnap and frostbite effects.

-Additionally, the potency of armour break effects is reduced to 0%, and whilst inflicted with an armour break demon bears power is unleashed and he passively gains 2% of his max power per second.

-Demon Bear can charge his heavy attack for longer than other champions

BASIC ATTACKS
-All of Demon Bear’s basic attacks have a 30% chance to inflict a rupture debuff on the opponent for 6 seconds.

DEMONIC SHADOW - PASSIVE
-demon bears mystical power creates a demonic shadow which seeks to corrupt and weaken his foes, and as his demonic power grows its range and abilities increase.

-demon bear starts a fight with 0 demonic power, and while charging his heavy attack he drains his power and converts it into demonic power. Power is drained at a rate of 25% of a bar of power every second, and each 5% of a bar of power converts into 1 demonic energy [max:100]. As a defender demon bear begins with 20 demonic power and gains 1 energy every 2 seconds.

-Whilst afflicted with a petrify, wither or exhaust effect, the amount of power required to convert into 1 demonic power is increased to 10% of a bar of power, and the rate of his passive demonic power gain as a defender is reduced to 1 energy every 4 seconds.

-The demonic shadow’s range begins within striking distance, and extends to up to a third of the stages width when at max power.

-Whilst within the range of the shadow, the opponent is inflicted with a Passive neutralise, reducing their buff ability accuracy by 20%, and a torment passive, increasing the duration of damage over time effects by 20%. The potency of both of these effects is increased by 7% flat for each 10 demonic power he has gained.

DEMONIC SHADOW ABILITIES
-The demonic shadow also gains different effects based on the level of demonic power that has been gained.

-At 20 demonic power, opponents in the shadow’s range are inflicted with a fear debuff, reducing their unblockable ability accuracy by 100%. This debuff lasts for 8 seconds, but it paused whilst the opponent is within the shadow’s range.

-At 40 demonic power, opponents in the shadow’s range have their passive power gain reduced by 40%, and Demon Bear steals the power they would have gained.

-At 60 demonic power, activating a special attack while the opponent is within the shadow’s range grants Demon Bear a regeneration passive, recovering 3% of his missing health over 7 seconds.

-At 80 demonic power, opponents within the shadow’s range are inflicted with a feeble passive, reducing their block penetration and reducing the potency of any pierce effects by 90%.

-At 100 demonic power, if an opponent stays within the shadow’s range for 2 seconds they are inflicted with a passive crush charge, preventing them from being able to block attacks. This charge is consumed upon the opponent having their block broken and once consumed another can’t be placed until the opponent leaves the shadows range.

DEMONIC FURY
-Whenever Demon bear drains his power below a power bar threshold using his heavy attack, he gains a 10% fury passive (max stacks: 10). These furies last for 6 seconds, but their duration is paused whilst the opponent is within the shadow’s range.

-When Demon Bear has gathered 100 demonic power, further converting power into demonic energy instead converts it into demonic strength. Demonic strength caps out at 25 and falls off one at a time, each stack lasting 2.5 seconds, but the rate of loss is paused whilst the opponent is within the range of the Shadow. Each stack of demonic strength increases the potency of his demonic fury effects by 0.4% flat

SPECIAL ATTACKS
-All claw attacks in Demon Bear’s special attacks have a 100% chance to inflict a rupture for 6 seconds.

SPECIAL 1 - 2 strong claw swipes forward followed by powerful roar and a final double slash lunge - On activation, Demon Bear gains a grit passive, ignoring the opponents unstoppable effects, which lasts for 10 seconds but is paused whilst the opponent is within the shadow’s range.

SPECIAL 2 - a swift series of 5 claw strikes followed by a blast of energy erupting upwards from the shadow- On activation, Demon bear gains a non-stacking vicious passive, increasing the potency of his personal damage over time effects by 50%, which lasts for 10 seconds but is paused whilst the opponent is within the shadow’s range.

SPECIAL 3 - the demonic shadow engulfs the entire battlefield and the opponent sinks down within it. They land inside demon bear in a land of darkness which buffets them before a colossal Demon bear manifestation appears from behind and slams down, blasting the foe back to regular battlefield - This special attack costs no power, but after use Demon Bear remains special locked until his power bar drops below 1 bar. Inflict a passive sleep on the opponent which lasts for 10 seconds but is removed once the opponent has been struck twice. While this sleep is active, charging his heavy attack drains his power twice as fast and dropping below a power bar threshold grants 2 demonic furies instead of 1.

SIGNATURE ABILITY - FORMED OF FEAR

-Each time Demon Bear gains 10 demonic power in a fight, he gains a persistent charge. At the start of each fight, he instantly gains 2 demonic power per persistent charge. Power gained in this way does not grant further persistent charges, and a maximum of 25 persistent charges can be gained.

-Additionally the duration of his demonic fury effects is increased by [25-100%]

Been working on this for a looooooong time and finally got it to a place i'm happy with haha. Demon bear is one of my favourite beings in the comics and I think he has such a strong basis for a kit that was unique so wanted to play my hand with him. He's designed as a bit of a close range brawler that shines when he's able to stay as close to the opponent as possible in order to keep his effects up as well as having a ramp that helps him counter some nasty cosmic defenders somewhat.

He's primarily a DOT champ that focuses on burning his own power instead of chaining his specials in order to build his furies and his shadow effects, still a little unsure as to the specifics of the rate he gains demonic energy as it's hard to tell on paper, but this is the basic idea of the kit. His ruptures would start relatively weak but would primarily be built up as he gains demonic power and once you've hit his max ramp, or before depending on what you need him for, you can start blitzing his specials to build them up a lot quicker and if you can stay close to the opponent they'll last a lot longer and also hit harder after the special 2.

I was going to give him some additional power gain in order to ramp up quicker, but I think given how weak his neutralise is initially it's likely that you'll get some mystic dispersion power built up before you really start shutting off the debuffs so it balances out, and if you're fighting a champ like angela or airwalker who inflict armour break you're going to be building power quickly and even moreso in matches with passive power gain.

Open to suggestions as always, tried posting this as just text instead of the slides I normally do so it might seem complex but the general rotation is just heavy charge to build shadow energy, stay close to keep the furies going, use the sp3 if you really want to quickly build up power and once at the cap your damage is gonna start going kinda crazy, but there is a ramp to get there.

Comments

• Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 405 ★★
    Kit's decent. There are a few things that seem off to me:

With up to 10 stacks of demonic fury, each enhanced further by demonic strength, the potential damage increase might be too high. When coupled with the ability to pause the duration while the opponent is in the shadow’s range, this can lead to prolonged and extreme damage output.

Secondly, he might need something like: If power is drained to zero, heavy attack cannot be charged, or else he could continue charging heavy over 10 seconds of Sleep and gain Furies.

The shadow is definitely a good idea, but as the range of the shadow increases as Demon Bear gains demonic power, potentially extending up to a third of the stage width at max power. This means the shadow's range can cover a significant portion of the battlefield, making it difficult for the opponent to escape its effects.

The crush is not needed. You could definitely tie it to a synergy (prolly with Dani Moonstar), but it's not needed where he seem more like a parry-heavy champ than a combo champ. Also, the shadow could just fall over block instead and the opponent wouldn't be able to escape the shadow that easily. So, absolutely no need for crush.

Lastly, he needs more power gain. Suggested: passively gaining 20% a bar of power over 4 seconds or something. He needs the power to gain furies, but 6 seconds seems like a very stressful time, even including the shadow length. Decreasing the length of the shadow and increasing the time of the furies might be successful here.
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,039 ★★★

Kit's decent. There are a few things that seem off to me:

With up to 10 stacks of demonic fury, each enhanced further by demonic strength, the potential damage increase might be too high. When coupled with the ability to pause the duration while the opponent is in the shadow’s range, this can lead to prolonged and extreme damage output.

Secondly, he might need something like: If power is drained to zero, heavy attack cannot be charged, or else he could continue charging heavy over 10 seconds of Sleep and gain Furies.

The shadow is definitely a good idea, but as the range of the shadow increases as Demon Bear gains demonic power, potentially extending up to a third of the stage width at max power. This means the shadow's range can cover a significant portion of the battlefield, making it difficult for the opponent to escape its effects.

The crush is not needed. You could definitely tie it to a synergy (prolly with Dani Moonstar), but it's not needed where he seem more like a parry-heavy champ than a combo champ. Also, the shadow could just fall over block instead and the opponent wouldn't be able to escape the shadow that easily. So, absolutely no need for crush.

Lastly, he needs more power gain. Suggested: passively gaining 20% a bar of power over 4 seconds or something. He needs the power to gain furies, but 6 seconds seems like a very stressful time, even including the shadow length. Decreasing the length of the shadow and increasing the time of the furies might be successful here.

Thanks for the feedback! On the furies I see what you're saying, generally speaking that's his entire damage ramp up and I wanted it to be that once you hit max shadow which can take a while you can still push your damage further, though I would probably reduce the percentage that demonic strength gives him. In order to actually keep his furies up you either need a high sig or an incredibly aggressive playstyle and considering you can only get 3 out of a full bar of power I think it's a fair trade off. It's not supposed to be easy or essential to keep his furies at max stacks it just rewards skill.

He can still only gain at most 6 furies from the sp3. He only gains furies when he dips below a power threshold and once he runs out of power he can keep charging but nothing will happen. The sleep is enough time for him to burn his entire power bar and dash in before it runs out to start capitalising on it.

The shadow length was mostly a bit of guess work but I still think it's fair. On attack it's that long so that when it's fully ramped you have a bit more breathing room to be able to dash back without losing his fear effect because otherwise stuff like mangogs sp2 would still connect if you had to dash back for any reason. On defense I think it's fair since being in the shadow isn't inherently damaging to you it just makes you hit a bit softer and prevents unblockable. The goal of the fight would be to finish him as quick as you can or prevent him from building his shadow, but being within its range isn't like kindred where it's a death sentence it just becomes a little harder to manage. On defense you will have to be in the shadows range to damage him no matter what, so I think it's a fair enough distance but that's just my take on it.

The crush is essentially there as a way of saying that you can let him get to max shadow if you want but its gonna mean you either have to dash back out of his range every now and then or just not rely on blocking at all. In most matches he's not gonna get to that level of shadow on defense unless you're playing really passively which is a bad idea. I was contemplating something along the lines of a way to remove shadow from his but honestly it feels like it would completely destroy him as a defender and until you get to near the end of his ramp it's not all that hard to deal with. If you aren't using a Petrify champ in bgs he's only gonna gain 60 power passively but he's still nukeable. It's not as much of an offensive ability as it is a reflection of how his shadow gradually weakens you as it builds, and on attack it's just a way of staying aggressive since you don't have to wait for opponents like serpent who could just hold their block and gain power.

The power gain in thr version of the kit I see in my mind isn't needed imo. He's not designed to get shadow energy as fast as possible, he's a ramp up champion who specifically works best in armour break matches and matches with passive power gain. I designed him with questing in mind, and unless you're doing bosses or Long form content he's not supposed to be able to hit max ramp in every fight. If you're fighting a serpent or someone with a lot of passive power gain like hyperion he's gonna be a lot quicker which is what he's designed for. He's not like mangog with reduced cpr, and he can still benefit from mystic dispersion in the early stages of his ramp when he needs it the most, so while I have thought about giving him some passive power gain I think it would just make his kit too easy which wasn't really the goal. He's designed to be a champ that really shines when you know how to charge a heavy at the right time like professor x, and whilst I don't do synergies generally I'm imagining one with dani where he specifically starts a fight with an energise for maybe 10 seconds which would allow him to ramp easier in fights where you need his abilities quicker, but generally speaking I think it's too much for his base kit.

I hope this doesn't sound dismissive, I'm just trying to explain why the kit is designed the way it is. I do think if I were to go back and change it I would probably remove him starting with demonic power on defense and just make it that he starts with that amount in bgs as an attacker or defender, and also probably make it so that his fear can't apply against science champions. I'm not sure whether adding a way to remove his demonic power would really fit into his kit since as I say I don't think him being at max energy is a death sentence, he would basically just have to be fought like aarkus unless you were really good at intercepting, but if you have any ideas for how to do that in a balanced way that doesn't completely destroy his defensive value then I'm open to suggestions.

The general idea of him as a defender was to be a big wall that cosmic champions can't nuke, specifically hype, gladiator, serpent and probably Bill to some extent, but not someone that is hard in general he just needs the right counter.