**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Dr. Octopus vs Magik: A PHD in Sorcery

My_SuperiorMy_Superior Posts: 2,086 ★★★★
edited December 2017 in Strategy and Tips
I have come here today to discuss this matchup; an awakened Dr. Octopus pitted against an awakened Magik who has max Mystic Dispersion and stun immunity. “Wait! You can’t fight Magik with an awakened Doc Oc; you’ll Limbo straight into the bin,” said the status quo but I say no; there is a way to beat her but it will require at least two PHDs and a madman to achieve! “Muahahahaha.”

Now you can’t really practice against a noded MD Magik so most of my analysis is based on theory crafting with just a few fights IRL but please bare with me...

Firstly, max Mystic Dispersion awards just over a third of a bar. This leaves us with about 60% of Magik’s total power where it is safe to apply a Physics Breakthrough. The key is to only use the Physics Breakthrough when she is far enough away from activatIng Limbo (about 40% away from gaining another bar). This will cause a 5 second “power lock” which can be extended indefinitely if Doc Oc has a 3 bars of power available.

Now when you are in a situation where you can’t apply the “power lock” you must STOP attacking and instead focus on blocking. The goal in this scenario is to apply a Chemistry Breakthrough so you don’t get caught in Limbo Hell. As long as the breakthrough is active when Limbo expires, Doc Oc’s “heal block” will stop Magik from healing and he will regain a small portion of her denied regeneration.

That’s basically it (using the appropriate breakthrough based on the amount of power she has) but there’s a few important points left to mention...

1) When awoke, Doc Oc starts with 60 research in each category allowing you to apply a Physics Breakthrough before she gets to one bar. This gets you some free damage and power before the real fight begins.

2) Dexterity will only award power when it disappears which is good cause you get the Heal Block by blocking not hitting or evading.

3) If you trigger the “power lock” as Magik gains a bar of power STOP ATTACKING and wait it out or use a heavy attack to remove it.

4) Electro’s synergy can be helpful because it allows breakthroughs to be applied faster.

Well that’s my perspective on the matchup; an essay of incoherent deductions that only a madman could understand. Is it right, is it wrong; who’s to say?

Comments

• taojay1taojay1 Posts: 1,062 ★★★
    To be completely honest, I have no idea what this means because I don't know how to use Doc Oc. But this was a great read, awesome delivery. 10/10