Champion Spotlight - Sentry [Updated: Added 5-Star Stats]

Comments

• TwuntTwunt Posts: 149
    @DaMunk Thanks. Yes, he is fun. He has some cool moves! He does not have the power of a million exploding suns. He has the power of one of my kid’s night light.

He is truly bad. I mean depressingly bad. If he triggered the buffs of each state 100%, he would still not be god-tier.

The fight took me ten minutes with 400 hits. I took those screens from recorded video. I don’t know how long other fights are with other champs. He is so bad.
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,842 ★★★★
    Twunt wrote: »
    @DaMunk Thanks. Yes, he is fun. He has some cool moves! He does not have the power of a million exploding suns. He has the power of one of my kid’s night light.

He is truly bad. I mean depressingly bad. If he triggered the buffs of each state 100%, he would still not be god-tier.

The fight took me ten minutes with 400 hits. I took those screens from recorded video. I don’t know how long other fights are with other champs. He is so bad.

I agree if after a certain combo all his bonus triggered all the time he wouldn't be God tier. He would still be weaker than Storm. I pulled him as a 5* too and like you I'm severely disappointed. I'm not sure what Kabam was trying to accomplish with him. That's a lot of work to make such an unusable champ and I mean an unusable champ in every aspect of the game. Any random average champ will always be a better option...smdh.
  • ZarakikZarakik Posts: 147
    DaMunk wrote: »
    Twunt wrote: »

I agree if after a certain combo all his bonus triggered all the time he wouldn't be God tier. He would still be weaker than Storm. I pulled him as a 5* too and like you I'm severely disappointed. I'm not sure what Kabam was trying to accomplish with him. That's a lot of work to make such an unusable champ and I mean an unusable champ in every aspect of the game. Any random average champ will always be a better option...smdh.

Sad thing that its another bad science champ this class is just rubbish
    @DaMunk Well, at this point I might as well go for Void. My guy is stuck in AQ just messing around. I wonder if Quake/Hawkeye synergy would boost his states. I can test tomorrow.
  • ApacheApache Posts: 558
    Never going for another science champ ever again
  • Twunt wrote: »
    After more testing, my suggestions are even more relevant.
    1. They really need to let us carry RWs over each fight at lower health thresholds. He isn’t a tough guy. Kind of soft.
    2. They need to have those OL, SA, and AS trigger every time. For short fights, you don’t even get there. For long fights, you end up fighting the majority with weak basic attacks and weak specials. One in five chance to trigger makes Sentry completely unusable.
    3. Now I would agree with the regen. He is soft. He needs a higher regen rate. Initially, I didn’t care about it, but he is really soft.

There's room for improvement, but honestly there's no way the devs are going to make the buffs 100% chance. My best estimate is that would roughly double his damage output. I doubt they would go for that. I wouldn't argue with 50% chance though.

If I was going to make changes to Sentry, I think the change highest on my list to make would be to change the state pattern so that if you combo out of Absolute Strength (the last one) it loops directly to overpowering light. You only start in Unyielding Fortitude (the first one) and drop into it if you lose combo. Otherwise, you cycle between (1), (F), and (2), the states with the (chance for) buffed attacks. When you are keeping combo and not losing combo, Unyielding is really a dead space in the cycle.

The other change I would consider making would be to make the chance to proc the buffed attacks escalate for each state change where you *don't* get the buff. So the chance to proc would be 30% initially. But if you miss, the next one is 40%, then 50%, until you proc something. Then it drops back to 30% and starts over. If you break combo, the chance resets to 30% when you drop down into Unyielding.

Both of these changes fit with Kabam's statement about "momentum" for Sentry. If you keep longer combos going, your momentum reward is you cycle through the "better" states without having to start again in Unyielding. And the longer you keep your combo going, the better your chance of eventually procing a buff. Visually, Kabam could reinforce this sense of "building power" by making the grey state icons show a clock representing your next chance to proc a buff, basically a frozen timer-looking icon. With each "miss" the next icon will show the percentage chance growing, which would add to the sense of building "momentum" with the state changes until you get a benefit from them.
  • bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 617 ★★★
    What's bad is he isn't just an average champ he's horrible. I'm sure under certain conditions he can deliver decent damage somewhat similar to storm but until then he's just really bad. Why would you put up 200 hits to have 1 special that delivers a Storm like special then put up another 100 or so hits for another? Some champs are built for attack, defense or utility. His happens to be attack and he's really weak at it 98% of the time. Most of the time a r4 5* is comparable to an average r5 4*. Not only is he weak...he's weaker than an average champ a complete rank below him.
    I realize they all can't be God tier but everyone should be disappointed because we now have another worthless champ in the game taking up space in the roster and decreasing your chance to pull a useful champ to help your progression.

Absolutely correct my man. The Reality Warp doesn't increase his base attack at all except for Sp1, SP1 and heavy attack which have to be in the right particular state of mind and even then with a super low chance of 30% to proc.
    If his regen gives him at least 20% health per consumed Reality Warp, then it would be a different story and could mitigate Magik's Limbon and Dormammu's degeneration. In reality, his regen is the worse.

It's understandable KABAM has to sacrifice certain aspects of a particular champion especially a heavy-hitter like Sentry (in the comic at least but not in the game). However, they have failed to shine his heavy damage and also failed to make his regen even close to be useful.

I honestly have an opinion that Carnage is way better than Sentry 'cause you don't need too much time to increase his attack, critical rate and critical damage. #CarnageIsBetterThanSentry
    edited January 2018
    Carnage is way better. Sad to say.
    @DNA3000 I love your idea! I simply wanted to provide a less heavy option. Either way they need to do something. Btw, I’m not sure a timer is needed because it just goes off every ten hits. If you see a 1 icon, then you know the next ten hits will move you to a chance at SA. If you see a fist icon. You know the next ten will get you to an abismal chance at AS.
  • gkelly26gkelly26 Posts: 38
    edited January 2018
    I know the mods here are just messangers but i hope they respond to the feedback and not just ignore the community
  • Twunt wrote: »
    @DNA3000 I love your idea! I simply wanted to provide a less heavy option. Either way they need to do something. Btw, I’m not sure a timer is needed because it just goes off every ten hits. If you see a 1 icon, then you know the next ten hits will move you to a chance at SA. If you see a fist icon. You know the next ten will get you to an abismal chance at AS.

The "timer" I was mentioned was intended to signal the escalating chance to get a buff. So if the chance was currently 30%, the little grey icon would be shaded to look like a timer that was pointing at about 4 o'clock. If you miss and miss and miss and the chance is now 60% to proc the next state change the little grey icon would have a shaded clock face that looked like it was point at about 7 o'clock. It would keep advancing until you proced an effect.
  • Logan00Logan00 Posts: 41
    If they want him to work on longer fights they need to increase his crit and base damage, or make his damage increase as gwenpool or SL. After 460 hits WS had still 76% health. I have him 5* 2, my 4* 5/50 gwenpool kills WS in less than 210 hits. Is just lame champion, worse than luke cage
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 1,971 ★★★★★
    Apache wrote: »
    Never going for another science champ ever again

If I didn't get a 5* science awakening AND rank-up gem from 5.4 I never would go for a science champ.
  • TsunaniTsunani Posts: 173
    Do we need to break any forum rule to get an answer from the mods here? Or that's exactly what they want to close the thread?
  • ApacheApache Posts: 558
    Tsunani wrote: »
    Do we need to break any forum rule to get an answer from the mods here? Or that's exactly what they want to close the thread?

They’re letting you guys get it out of your system

Yeah because ignoring a problem always makes it better. You are right though.
  • DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 416 ★★

Yeah because ignoring a problem always makes it better. You are right though.

Sentry is working as intended, all Kabam has to say
  • You really need to make him better... I mean people wasted money on a champ that is worthless in al categories... you guys take months to figure how to create a champ and then make them terrible... millions of people will want a buff sentry
  • RhyanoRhyano Posts: 11
    Pretty sure he is just flat out broken....something isn't working correctly.
  • It is infuriating that Kabam hasn’t addressed the community yet regarding this. It’s the least they could do. With out the players there would be no Kabam.
  • I have faith in Kabam that they will sort it out.
    I ordered the 2* Sentry from Marvel Insider then I realized I already got him from the Void crystal.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 20,460 ★★★★★
    edited January 2018
    Cable wrote: »
    No it’s obvious that Kabam is ignoring this problem. The thread tells the truth

They've responded to questions about how he functions. They're not ignoring the Thread. People are giving feedback. If the response people are asking for is that they will buff him, I'm pretty sure we are all aware that they don't make changes to new Champs lightly, or immediately. That's been the protocol up until now at least. Obviously they're reading comments and conveying the feedback. That's their job. If people are expecting instant changes, I'm afraid that may not come. Unless something changes from the usual status quo.
  • XstasisXstasis Posts: 50
    Cable wrote: »
    No it’s obvious that Kabam is ignoring this problem. The thread tells the truth

They've responded to questions about how he functions. They're not ignoring the Thread. People are giving feedback. If the response people are asking for is that they will buff him, I'm pretty sure we are all aware that they don't make changes to new Champs lightly, or immediately. That's been the protocol up until now at least. Obviously they're reading comments and conveying the feedback. That's their job. If people are expecting instant changes, I'm afraid that may not come. Unless something changes from the usual status quo.

Unfortunately I agree with what you say. Even though I don't like it.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 582 ★★★
    One thing I don't understand is why you expect every new champ to be the best of the best. Sentry sux, ok, just like 70 other champs in MCOC, so?
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 4,968 ★★★★★
    Badrose wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand is why you expect every new champ to be the best of the best. Sentry sux, ok, just like 70 other champs in MCOC, so?

@Badrose they added good champs to every class but science in 2017. No new science champs for an eternity and people have been clamoring for one. Then they add one of the most powerful champs in the marvel universe and he is science. The narrative is that he will be amazing. And you don't understand why people are upset that he is just one more garbage science champ?

He doesn't just suck he's useless. Even Luke Cage has some strengths. Sentry has absolutely nothing. Not 1 redeemable quality. I can't believe someone collected a paycheck designing him.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 582 ★★★

@Badrose they added good champs to every class but science in 2017. No new science champs for an eternity and people have been clamoring for one. Then they add one of the most powerful champs in the marvel universe and he is science. The narrative is that he will be amazing. And you don't understand why people are upset that he is just one more garbage science champ?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the "science point" especially when you have a 5S awakening gem there to use. However, Spiders are good even on the offensive side, Hulk is awesome, Yellow Jacket is a great character and Quake is one of the best in the game. Yes, they are old...

But from what I'm reading, people are more disappointed for the same old reasons, like "this should be the strongest character just because is Sentry" or "I expected to beat the **** out of WS in less than 100 hits".
  • @vd016 the regen is not multiplied by reality warps
This discussion has been closed.